Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 7th March 2009, 14:09   #1
BHPian

Default Your GQ - Glamour Quotient !

As the popular perception goes " your Car reflects your personality & Status" other things which Jazz up your GQ are the Watches we wear ,how we smell(perfume) and most important accesories ( shoes / pens / mobiles & bags ) . since am i from retail industry background , am always hooked to observe people as to how they carry themselves and the brands people wear . Fellow bhpian's pls share what you wear & what would you aspire to buy / own .

My Watches - Omega Seamaster automatic / Citizen world time Ecodrive / Citizen ecodrive perpetual calendar/ Titan Edge . My dream watch Rolex GMT metal
My Fragrance - CHanel Egostie / CK eternity / Ferrari Black / Issey Miyake Pour homme / JPG -Le male / Dior Farenheit
My Accs : pen cross ( fountain / roller ball pen ) ; shoes - Hush puppies for formals / adidas for others ; Bags - am die-hard fan of Hidesign
rm_arjuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2009, 16:47   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

I cannot remember any single person for their "GQ".

Man or woman. I remember the most glamorous women I've seen (in life and on-screen) and for the life of me I don't remember them for their bags, watches or sunglasses.

But it would be fun to see all of you show off. I'll be reading this thread, lol.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2009, 17:07   #3
Senior - BHPian

I prefer EQ(emotional quotient) anyday to GQ or even IQ!
In my honest opinion, i would not judge a person based on his GQ. Simply because a person might have the best of materialistic possessions, but its all a waste if he is hollow within.

Please don't mind, but this thread looks another attempt to show off.

DCEite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2009, 18:06   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
I cannot remember any single person for their "GQ". Man or woman. I remember the most glamorous women I've seen (in life and on-screen) and for the life of me I don't remember them for their bags, watches or sunglasses.
And this is a brand manager speaking?

Actually, I am hugely relieved. When I saw this thread first, I was worried whether people are really measured by their GQ. I can never keep track of what people were wearing, let alone the brand.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2009, 18:35   #5
Senior - BHPian

I proudly flaunt that I'm a cheapskate. I flaunt my indica. I flaunt my nokia 1110, i flaunt my hawaii chappals While I'm wearing full sleeves and tie !
greenhorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2009, 18:50   #6
BHPian

@dceite
exactly my POV, you dont judge a person by the way he looks and flaunts his materialistic possessions. I being a sindhi, detest fellow sindhi's flaunting and showing off and actually being the biggest cheap skates. I wear my Issey Miyake, Clinique Happy or buy a Blackberry Phone coz i like it, not for the GQ. I drive a Logan and an Accent Viva. I plan to sell the Viva and buy a Getz 1.1 Petrol or a i20 petrol because i don't worry about "perception". I give two hoots to people's opinion's and perception as long as i am comfortable with what i have and own. Beauty is skin deep, its what your personality is sums you up, not your GQ. I've seen most GQ conscious people hollow from within! But this is just my opinion again.

My 2 cents...

Last edited by anilkalvani : 7th March 2009 at 18:54.
anilkalvani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2009, 18:56   #7
ECM
BHPian

I prefer a person with IQ all other Qs will remain in queue.
ECM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2009, 19:08   #8
Senior - BHPian

It has to do with money one has and that is decided by luck, nothing else.
I am a computer enthusiast and want Cosmos 100. I cant afford one. I want Piguet watches and BMW 7 series.
But I cant afford and right now I am here with an intex cabinet that does not exist on its website, a Rs. 1000 timex watch, it was damaged when on my exam day the computer drawer of lab fell on it, fitted in Rs. 25 machine in it and I am using Zeus and M800 in 80:20 ratio.
So what do you conclude about me now ?

I think its all about the money one has, nothing else and the most important thing in life is money.
So observe how much money one has.

EDIT : No personal offense meant to anyone.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2009, 19:27   #9
BHPian

My Watches - None - ( I check the time from my mobile phone's clock)

My Fragrance - Lifebuoy hai jahan tandurusti hai wahan (Where there is a lifebuoy, there is well being).

My Accs : I don't carry pens( fountain / roller ball pen ) ; shoes - local mkt leather shoes since past 4 years / hawai chappal for for others(uber cool.) ; Bags - using my 10 year old school time back pack to lug aroung the official laptop-very convinient
Mobile: Used LG RD 3000 (Reliance - purchased in Rs 500) - Kho bhi jaaye to gum nahi aur hum kissi se kam nahi (5-6 hours talk time)

Car: Tata Indigo CS (Mera wala truck) (3000kms / month) Planning to sell it off and buy a cheap petrol car with a CNG kit. Point A to pont B commute. Thats the point.

Job: From retail industry.

Can I know my GQ now?

Disclaimer:No offences meant for anybody. The data is purely personal and any relation or reference to any living or dead is purely co-incidental.
kumargandharva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2009, 21:14   #10
Senior - BHPian

Default My Glamour Quotient

Shirts: Marks & Spencers, Louis Phillipe

Trousers: dunno the brand

Mobile: Nokia E90 & 9500 Communicator

Watches: Casio G Shock, Casio Compass, Mont Blanc, Piguet, Citizen,
Patek Phillipe

Pens: Mont Blanc, Parker, Sheaffers

Shoes: Woodlands

Perfumes: Ck Eternity, D&G, Davidoff, Mont Blanc, Polo by Ralph Lauren

Goggles: Porsche Carrera, Rayban

Spectacles: Progressive Varilux lens in a Cartier frame, SP2 distance lens in a Ralph Lauren frame.

Residence: A 14th floor 4 bedroom flat in DLF Phase V, Gurgaon

Credit Cards: Gold card from ABN AMRO, Axis Bank, ICICI Bank, Classic card from HSBC, ICICI

Club Membership: Life membership of Executive Club, Chattarpur, Delhi

Laptops: Toshiba Protege, Toshiba Satellite & HP

Cars: Given below

Is there anything I've forgotten...? Oh yes, my childhood friends and classmates from school. All of the above pale in comparison to them...

Last edited by gd1418 : 7th March 2009 at 21:17.
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2009, 22:39   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

I had no idea that people were perceived on what brands they wear. What I think is that we like to see people dressed properly at office and social gatherings. People should not stink, but that does not mean that one has to use expensive perfumes. I too love expensive things, but that is because expensive things have better look and feel than inexpensive ones e.g a Skoda RS has better look and feel than an Esteem. This is quite natural to like expensive things but it is unnantural when one likes them just because he/she wants to show off.
BlackPearl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2009, 23:00   #12
Senior - BHPian

Nice & Interesting thread !!

I personally do not rate a person by the Brands he wears or drives.

A smart & classy person can be rated by other things like - Intelligence, Smartness Etiquette and the way he/she talk/walks/eats/drinks/personal hygeine etc etc.

But still if you ask then here goes -

Cars - Hyundai Accent & Verna Diesel

Watches- Fossil, Swatch & Titan

Clothes - Provogue, Levis, Zync, Adidas, Van Huesen, FCUK, M&S, Next

Shoes - Aha !! My Forte' - Hush Puppies, Gucci, Next, Barkers, Espirit, Obase London & Many others

Fragrances - Diesel, Marc Jacobs & Hummer

Shampoo - Head & Shoulders, Sunsilk
Soap - Dettol & Nivea
Hair Cream - Parachute & Loreal Styling Gel Occasionally
Toothpaste - Colgate Whitening & OralB Toothbrush

Cuisines - Mughlai & chinese ( Mexican when I can find it )

Restaurants - Peshawri & Veda, otherwise Chawla Chicken !!

I hope I rate well on my GQ !!

Last edited by vkochar : 7th March 2009 at 23:02.
vkochar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2009, 00:51   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
I cannot remember any single person for their "GQ".

Man or woman. I remember the most glamorous women I've seen (in life and on-screen) and for the life of me I don't remember them for their bags, watches or sunglasses.

But it would be fun to see all of you show off. I'll be reading this thread, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
I prefer EQ(emotional quotient) anyday to GQ or even IQ!
In my honest opinion, i would not judge a person based on his GQ. Simply because a person might have the best of materialistic possessions, but its all a waste if he is hollow within.

Please don't mind, but this thread looks another attempt to show off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
And this is a brand manager speaking?

Actually, I am hugely relieved. When I saw this thread first, I was worried whether people are really measured by their GQ. I can never keep track of what people were wearing, let alone the brand.

+1 to the above points. Add me to the watchers. I can never remember what i eat or wear, imagine remembering what brand others are wearing. I do notice if people are inappropriately dressed. The latest trend in Indians is to wear evening clothes in daytime. (Cf. below).

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I proudly flaunt that I'm a cheapskate. I flaunt my indica. I flaunt my nokia 1110, i flaunt my hawaii chappals While I'm wearing full sleeves and tie !

Being frugal is fine, but improper dressing is not. A formal occasion where one is expected to wear a tie should be given the respect it deserves and a gentleman is expectecd to be appropriately dressed, appropriate dress includes appropriate footwear. If you want to wear slippers please wear something appropriate to go with it - a veshti or other Indian attire is fine, as long as it is the equivalent formal / semi-formal wear.

GQ comes not from wearing expensive brands, but by wearing (or using) apparel and accesories that are appropriate to the occasion and time of the day.

If an invitation says "Black tie" it is not done to wear a tie of that colour on a t-shirt and shorts ensemble. I read today that Farhan Akhtar wore a Tuxedo at 11.00 a.m. That is absolutely gross, a Dinner Jacket or Tuxedo is not to be worn before dusk. Arindham Chaudary of IIPM is another example, he is shown in the advertisements wearing a shawl collared Dinner Jacket with a blue neck-tie when the only appropriate tie would be a bow-tie (same colour and texture as the facing of the lapel of the jacket).

It does not matter if you are expensively dressed or not, but it is imperative that you are appropriately dressed.

Cheers,
Ravveendrra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2009, 01:13   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post

It does not matter if you are expensively dressed or not, but it is imperative that you are appropriately dressed.

Cheers,
+1 to that. Exactly my thought put in good english
BlackPearl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2009, 11:11   #15
BHPian

I agree with Sam here - glamour is in the person/personality. I think Bipashu Basu is quite glamorous, in a simple white dress - or even without it.

I think the OP is looking for style or trendiness or fashion quotient. Not glamour.
ballkey is offline   Reply With Quote