Team-BHP - How Lazy are we getting?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   How Lazy are we getting? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/55357-how-lazy-we-getting.html)

How lazy are we getting, seriously! These days I'm getting increasing worked up about one issue at office.

Why do people use the lift to go up or down 1 floor? In my office, the open stairs and lifts are about 2 meters apart and still people take the lift to go up or down 1 floor! I can understand if they are old people or pregnant ladies or disabled people, but I'm talking of strapping young men! (I work in an IT company, btw). And in case you are wondering, there are just 24 steps between each floors by stairs.

In the time, it takes to wait for the automatic lift (which moves slow), and go up or down, one can easily take the stairs and reach the workplace. My workplace is in the 4th floor and 60% of the times I normally walk up and down. I'm not trying to preach the virtues of exercise or health, but come on, taking the lift for 1 floor!:Frustrati

I guess that is why it is said that you can tell the number of years a person has been working in the IT industry by the size of the stomach!:D

Quote:

Why do people use the lift to go up or down 1 floor? In my office, the open stairs and lifts are about 2 meters apart and still people take the lift to go up or down 1 floor!
I completely agree on above have seen this happening in my office too. Infact have seen people wait almost 5-10 minutes for going one floor up. I use stairs to go down right from 7 th floor & up if its within 2 floors

I'm afraid I don't have a choice about not being lazy. Doctor's advice, I've been told to not climb stairs or do any strenuous exercise because of a back pain, and I'm really hating it.

BTW, my back problem started with a fall down about 6 steps, so maybe those who are taking the lift are just being careful, not lazy.:uncontrol

Yup, you guys are right there are so many people who waits for a lift to traverse 1 floor. They will wait calmly for 2-3 minutes, funny thing is if you take the stairs it will take max 30 sec.

The situation is made worse during peak times in the morning and evening, the scenario reminds me of a "local" bus which stops everywhere.

Yes, even I hate those lazy folks who take the elevator to 1st and 2nd floors (leaving aside those who are physically challenged).
As such, they sit in front of the Comp the entire day, why can't they exercise their legs a bit.

Guess who gets the pretty lasses? Ofcourse it would not hurt to take the lift once in a while...most of the pretty lasses get cornered there...great time to make eye contact...

I am yet to go to office as employee. But whenever I have to climb even upto 7th or 8th floor I prefer steps. I am above 90kg. I am embarrassed to disclose my real weight. Yes I am quite heavy.
Generally after looking at me people think you are heavy and big, so you cannot climb stairs. What I see is this : Those lightweight champions wait for 5-7 mins. in front of lift, fanatically pressing lift button just to go to 5th floor. I manage with stairs.

Sometimes I share a laugh with myself, how people go behind physical appearance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaggoswami (Post 1221593)
I am yet to go to office as employee. But whenever I have to climb even upto 7th or 8th floor I prefer steps. I am above 90kg. I am embarrassed to disclose my real weight. Yes I am quite heavy.
Generally after looking at me people think you are heavy and big, so you cannot climb stairs. What I see is this : Those lightweight champions wait for 5-7 mins. in front of lift, fanatically pressing lift button just to go to 5th floor. I manage with stairs.

Sometimes I share a laugh with myself, how people go behind physical appearance.

Dude!!! You seem to be Fat but Fit. I like to think of myself that way too. People totally misunderstand ALL fat people. They think we are big slobs who cant move a muscle. I know many many people who were very surprised to see the things I can do and the duration for which I can do. Sad to say, but many of my friends themselves in spite of knowing my relatively active lifestyle think like that.

I too enjoy showing up these people who go by pure appearances.

Personally, I would use a lift if it is summer. I sweat a lot and if I'm going to meet someone or for an interview or just heading back to my desk, I wouldnt like to be all sweaty. Luckily, where I work, there is no lift. My only option is stairs. I'm just saying if I was in a big building with lifts and all, I probably would use it in summer or to climb down the stairs.

Yes that happens a lot i think in most office these days. Personally i just use lift in the afternoon when it gets really hot and as i sweat a lot lift is a logical option. Rest i use stairs 4-5 times a day.

Its recession time. Climbing stairs will burn more calories, and make you more hungry. So you will eat more food. With such expensive food, and no salary hikes, its unaffordable to climb stairs

Lift is a luxury, privilege - like a chauffeur driven car. Why not take it? :D
Also, who would want to go near a guy who has come up via stairs?

Note: Few years back there was ad about a guy who came up by stairs and his colleagues wanted to gift a deo spray :D

Taking the stairs is a privilege we are not allowed in our esteemed org. The stairs are only for emergency fire escape and have been closed with Zicom security gadgets -- even if accidentally opens the door -- it would create a racket on the floor -- so what do we do -- we take the lift from 1st to 2nd floor and then back again. the stairs are strictly used for fire drills only

Its the same in every organisation.
I never use lift,its only when with colleagues,I am forced to use them

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 (Post 1221612)
Dude!!! You seem to be Fat but Fit. I like to think of myself that way too. People totally misunderstand ALL fat people. They think we are big slobs who cant move a muscle. I know many many people who were very surprised to see the things I can do and the duration for which I can do. Sad to say, but many of my friends themselves in spite of knowing my relatively active lifestyle think like that.

I too enjoy showing up these people who go by pure appearances.

Personally, I would use a lift if it is summer. I sweat a lot and if I'm going to meet someone or for an interview or just heading back to my desk, I wouldnt like to be all sweaty. Luckily, where I work, there is no lift. My only option is stairs. I'm just saying if I was in a big building with lifts and all, I probably would use it in summer or to climb down the stairs.

Nice to see someone like me!
The common misunderstandings :
1) You cannot sit on floor.
2) You cannot climb stairs.
These are most irritating. People even show sympathy when I reach a place by climbing stairs. Their reaction " ( in Gujarati )Bicharo, pagathiya chadi ne ayo " i.e. " Poor fellow, he came here climbing the stairs ". As if I have committed some crime by climbing stairs.And the special treatment follows like special water, etc,

You are correct for that summer season part, but for me who is in Gujarat, mostly its always summer, and generally I dont care.

Quote:

Originally Posted by diabloo (Post 1221671)
Note: Few years back there was ad about a guy who came up by stairs and his colleagues wanted to gift a deo spray

I hate those sprays. I dont like to spray chemicals on my body.

No lift or stairs for me, I like to climb up the side of the building like spiderman. You stairwalking bunch are really lazy.