Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 30th March 2009, 17:37   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Warrior View Post
Since the thread is about Germany even i would like to post a few query's:-

1. I will be in Laatzen, Hannover 3rd week of April. In case, if you know any godd palces to visit in hannover in the evenings??
2. Some good places to shop around??
3. Is woolworth available in Hannover?? I have a fairly good experience of buying clothes and other stuff from Woolworth.

Help SAM help...

Cheers
Sa re ga ma pa! Main aaya main aaya!

I have never been to Hannover. I will have to refer to my better half. She knows everything about everything. lol

Woolworth? In Germany? No, you're better off with H&M and other stores. I'll ask Jenny to visit this thread shortly.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 30th March 2009 at 17:38.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2009, 18:06   #17
Team-BHP Support

If I recollect Woolworth went bankrupt a couple of months back
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2009, 18:34   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
Any pointers towards "ICE" looking for some Infinity products and how they are priced over there compared to India.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Generally more expensive - unless there is a sale at Media Markt or at Saturn.
My experience of Europe ( specifically Netherlands & Germany) says that Electronics you get here at the best , but then they are really expensive compared to India. My advise would be, buy products in europe that you will never get in India. Don't expect the products to be any cheaper than India. ICE is a big NO NO .
Primarily becuase of Price and Weight.
Most Economy flights to Europe allow you a Check in luggage of only 20Kg, so please factor that in. I dropped my plan to buy an Alpine HU for exactly the same reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
If she's on a business Visa, just make sure that she get Tax Free receipts from the shops. This can be reimbursed at the port of departure. She should produce the items, the original receipt and a copy of that, passport and the tax free voucher.
Every bit of shopping that she does can get her a tax refund in the bracket of 6 to 12 % of the invoice amount if you have the Global Tax refund cheques.

Ask her to look out for this logo in the stores
Name:  logo_Tax_Free.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  15.6 KB

she will have to collect all such shopping tax refund cheques and refund them from the airport just before her flight back home.
Though this may mean she has to reach the airport a few hours earlier to keep aside some time for the whole refund process since the refund offices can be far away from your actual departure gate.
there are specific minimum limits on shopping based on products and country, so ask her to look out for that before shopping .

Also see Global Refund - Traveller - Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh51 View Post
On Electronics and technology front, MediaMarkt and Saturn (Pronounced Satuurn) are geek heaven.

Duty free shopping is best done at Frankfurt Airport which is a gateway airport for most major airlines.
Buy products in MediaMarkt only if you have done enough study or know exact product you want to buy otherwise looking the huge area you are either bound to get confused , else end of shopping a lot more than you can even carry
leadf00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2009, 21:20   #19
BHPian

Quote:

I have never been to Hannover. I will have to refer to my better half. She knows everything about everything. lol

Woolworth? In Germany? No, you're better off with H&M and other stores. I'll ask Jenny to visit this thread shortly.
I will have to ask my BIL, he is from Celle - around the corner of Hannover - I have never been there myself either.

One thing for sure: Woolworth - no way. It never really got popular in Germany, I remember having seen two stores there in my entire life and they are just crap. My grandma used to love Woolworth in the US but was always shocked when seeing the ones in Germany; not comparable!

@The_Warrior:If you tell me what it is you are exactly looking for I can forward the questions more precisely. PM me if you want!
TheOne® is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2009, 23:58   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Behti Ganga Mein Haath Dhone ka mazaa hi kuch aur hai Sam...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
If I recollect Woolworth went bankrupt a couple of months back
Oops! Didn't know that. Last i had gone was 2 years back..

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOne® View Post
I will have to ask my BIL, he is from Celle - around the corner of Hannover - I have never been there myself either.

One thing for sure: Woolworth - no way. It never really got popular in Germany, I remember having seen two stores there in my entire life and they are just crap. My grandma used to love Woolworth in the US but was always shocked when seeing the ones in Germany; not comparable!

@The_Warrior:If you tell me what it is you are exactly looking for I can forward the questions more precisely. PM me if you want!
Thank you so much Jenny! Would appreciate if you could find out about few places where one can spend relaxed evenings... roam around... places of interest in Hannover... the nightlife... etc

Cheers..

Last edited by The_Warrior : 30th March 2009 at 23:58. Reason: Additional Text
The_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009, 16:47   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Warrior View Post
Thank you so much Jenny! Would appreciate if you could find out about few places where one can spend relaxed evenings... roam around... places of interest in Hannover... the nightlife... etc

Cheers..
Hi, my BIL is travelling at the moment. So I looked a few things up on the Hannover website myself. There were so many things that I think it is best you look at it yourself :

HANNOVER.DE - English

Should be quite an interesting stay. Shame you will miss the Pink concert lol.

If you have any more questions let me know.
TheOne® is offline   Reply With Quote