| || ||Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|22nd March 2009, 00:18||#1|
Senior - BHPian
Holiday gets aborted at the last moment - share your feelings
We got around 8 days from March 21, which can be taken as holidays with minimal disruption to work. And from then work coming up again full force and with kid's school opening from mid April, last 10 days of March was the ideal time to take a short holiday. Plus was tagging this also a 1.5-year Safari ownership celebration travel. Also with all XII exams of all different boards going on, the tour would have come out also quite economical, more so in these difficult monetary times - On phone itself, I was getting around 50% discount at a very decent Gangtok hotel. Nowhere hotel rooms were booked as we were sure of getting good discounts - All these discounts will evaporate once the exams are over within the next 7-10 days or so.
So our story goes like this, we were supposed to leaving around 12 midnight for our 750 km journey to Siliguri and then towards Gangtok - so that by Monday I can start convicing the sikkim administrative people out there to let the private vehicle [Safari here] go through to explore North Sikkim. As the policy stands now, no private vehicle is allowed to go after Mangan, the entry point of North Sikkim. If permission was not possible then the backup plan was to travel to equally beautiful and the unknown places of South and West Sikkim.
March 21, 530 pm - Get up quite refershed after a 3-hour of sound afternoon sleep - enough to carry through the overnight non-stop journey.
9 pm - all okay no problem, remaining work finished and emailed to client.
9:30 pm - Can smell the fantastic chicken tandoor pieces being cooked, special dinner was that and some good tea/cofee around half hour before journey.
9:45 pm - all items packed up and suitcases and bags zipped and closed. Ready to be hauled into the VTT-TMT.
10:15 pm - Checking mail last time and thought of going through a Sikkim newspaper online, just seeing if any news. It was just a casual browsing and no more, expected no bad weather news since almost everywhere this has been the hottest winter and in fact last week or so read news like Sikkim was also having unusually hot weather. Then this is what we see -
So as the reality sinks in, break the news to wife - first reaction again of absolute disbelief - we were around 1 hour away from our journey. Tell the kid too and he in fact takes the news best of all, just a shrug and says we will go next Saturday!!
All packed and grouped, but waiting to be unpacked tomorrow - plus a 20L Kinley and a portable gas stove all filled up
So thats it, have the good chicken tandoor dinner, me have good smoke on the verandah looking at the darkness outside and resolutely deciding that anyhow anyway will again try within mid April, though will have to manage work situation and budget will change quite much during the season times. We just have to anyhow try again after this fiasco. And then now just browsing and even took a photo of all packed bags, and with a good afternoon sleep will be awake for sometime, thought of posting this and find some solace in sharing.
Surely quite a few of us would have faced a situation like this - feelings are very strong first few hours and as time goes by we all adapt to the circumstances with a wry smile.
Last edited by adc : 22nd March 2009 at 00:36.
|22nd March 2009, 03:08||#2|
Distinguished - BHPian
Join Date: Aug 2005
Thanked: 3,275 Times
It is really horrible. I fortunately have not faced this yet but can feel your pain. I was supposed to meet the tbhp guys today (Tristate meet) but was held up at the last moment due to a production issue :-(
Anyway, you could have left for Gangtok and then move on towards West Sikkim which I am sure would not get such heavy snowfall.
|22nd March 2009, 07:17||#3|
Senior - BHPian
|22nd March 2009, 08:48||#4|
Distinguished - BHPian
Join Date: Jul 2007
Thanked: 3,241 Times
I am quite confused. If i were you, I'd press ahead ALL the same.
Gangtok to mangan is extremely low altitude arterial road which WILL be opened by the army as early as possible. And its not like its a sexy blacktop even otherwise.
DRIVE ON bosss ...
and yes, no matter what anyone says - you would still be out of reach even in good weather/good times. Lachung/lachen have completely useless network so you can be asssured to be out of touch.
PS: Cmon man - isnt the risk the juice of life? And how can one reschedule later so easily?
|22nd March 2009, 09:12||#5|
Senior - BHPian
Plus the rhododhendron [they bloom around 3rd week of March to 3rd week of April] would have all fallen due to the rain and snow - so many things were clicking at the same time. The flowering would start again in around 7-10 days.
Last edited by adc : 22nd March 2009 at 09:32.
|22nd March 2009, 09:47||#6|
Join Date: Aug 2007
Thanked: 66 Times
If not North Sikkim, don't cancel your trip, just change the destination / route and have fun ! You can do the North Sikkim jaunt later ! Have myself done that more than once when last minute bookings (yeah, should be better planned ! ) did'nt come through !
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Happiest moment in my last two Years! Yes I became a Team - Bhpian||jeganatu||Introduce yourself||0||21st April 2012 17:16|
|Mixed Feelings about the Future - Chetan Bhagat||aerohit||Shifting gears||2||16th August 2008 19:42|
|bangalore hyderabad trip aborted due to accident||pkumar||Travelogues||30||9th March 2008 07:42|