Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 24th March 2009, 15:10   #16
Senior - BHPian

Edited myself. Watching my tone. Helping the Mods.

Last edited by Spitfire : 24th March 2009 at 15:28.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2009, 15:14   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

I subscribe to tough love philosophy in this case
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2009, 15:33   #18
Senior - BHPian

Why is this not in the poems thread?
Old 24th March 2009, 15:42   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
LOL. probably if instead of sitting in office @ night, you were outside actually living a life, you wont have all these questions!
well its easier said than done amitoj, we have to keep working like dogs to stay afloat in this rat race
gajsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2009, 15:48   #20
BANNED

Poems thread is for self-composed poems. Not sure if this composed by zoom...vroom...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Why is this not in the poems thread?
I went to college, did my thing and oh, those tests & exams, I absolutely hated it. Glad that I am out of it. I have a job and so dough in hand. I am leading a life which is far better than that in college. College, No Thanks.

@zoom_vroom, I suggest you enroll for masters degree (2~3 years) & PHD program (4~6) years. You can still enjoy your good times for few more years.
diabloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2009, 15:51   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Poems thread is for self-composed poems. Not sure if this composed by zoom...vroom...
He is taking everything personally and Kaushik by a long shot wants to say its his. So the suggestion.

Quote:
@zoom_vroom, I suggest you enroll for masters degree (2~3 years) & PHD program (4~6) years. You can still enjoy your good times for few more years.
Brilliant suggestion.
Old 24th March 2009, 16:03   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
He is taking everything personally and Kaushik by a long shot wants to say its his. So the suggestion.
Heh, I didn't want to say that but just inferred from his posts/replies that he may've written it. Only Zoom-vroom can say if he himself has written it.
kaushik_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2009, 16:42   #23
BHPian

I'm surprised by the mockery at zoom_vroom's post, especially as most other threads have discussions in good spirit.

I don't miss those college days but it is very possible others do. Just because he says he misses those days it doesn't mean he doesn't know what to do with his life or that he is having a hard time or anything like that.

Just consider that he was expressing an opinion, that he can understand the feelings expressed in the poem. Give him a break, guys. I don't think he is asking for advice on what to do.
straightdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2009, 19:03   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Yeah and that is because i see such crybabies all the time.
reminds me of somebody when I was in infosys chennai. a bulletin board serving to 3000+ infoscions. Every morning he would come and post a "motivational" story which would end up in a lot of tears flowing down the cheeks.

Once he even mentioned that the best tears are the ones shed before the god every day asking for forgiveness for bad deeds.

Gosh, a man needs to have some self respect. You make a mistake and everyday go and cry before the god? how shameless can one be . take punishment for a change.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2009, 21:10   #25
Senior - BHPian

I forgot to mention that my graduation days will come to an end in May 09.
But still I never have these feelings as I was never so deeply attached with enjoying things.
I have visited canteen so less that people can count with their fingers. No movies with college friends at multiplex for three years now.

So it all depends upon what one has done in college life.

Also, now what matters is how rich one is. If one is rich, he will get all happiness and if one is poor, he will suffer for the rest of his life.

I suggest that the thread starter concentrate more on his career rather than friends and get himself a nice car. A car is more reliable and faithful than humans. This will take away all the unhappiness from his life and his life will be heaven again. And dont be satisfied with just one car, get a bigger and better one as fast as you can. This will keep you busy and make you successful so that these college days wont haunt you.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2009, 21:19   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
IMHO...Past was always best and the changes we took brought more burden to us.To begin with:
- Loved writing letters and sticking a stamp and posting it in the red letter box and awaiting a reply...now we just email and check the reply on Blackberry and delete it.
- Old Bycycle ( A BSA SLR) was a pride..chamkoed eveyr day and ring the tring tring bell everyday..stopping at Puncture wala shop to get air filled...now we are all on tubeless tyres and bigger automobiles with ABS,Airbags etc etc.
- Pre- Marriage : Siniging Cliff Richards "Bachelor Boy" and a James Dean " Rebel with out a cause" and a Casa Nova to the core
Married life : Tasty as Bubble gum in the beginning and losing taste,yet sticky later on.Questions from better half : Who,Where,Why,When? (all refering to WOH !!!)..Lol
- Last but not the least : Figure.
Played competitive tennis and sweated out 4 hrs of practice and had that John McEnroe "Super Brat" temper....now i play tennis on PS II in the living room trying to sit on a sofa..
Oh la la..times have changed
Very well written, Ram!! Totally associate with this transition that we go through.
Been almost 7 years since I left B'lore after my BSc, and yet every now and then the memories that I carry leaves my eyes moist.
Its true, we cherish the past, and with the way things come at us we forget to live the present.Its but natural,with the amount of work pressures and economic times we lived it, being carefree really isn't something we can afford to be.
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2009, 18:00   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Also, now what matters is how rich one is. If one is rich, he will get all happiness and if one is poor, he will suffer for the rest of his life.
I really wonder what makes you say that.
neoranjit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2009, 18:22   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post

I suggest that the thread starter concentrate more on his career rather than friends and get himself a nice car. A car is more reliable and faithful than humans. This will take away all the unhappiness from his life and his life will be heaven again. And dont be satisfied with just one car, get a bigger and better one as fast as you can. This will keep you busy and make you successful so that these college days wont haunt you.
I do not agree that only money matters in life. What matters is peace and blessings of god.
PatienceWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2009, 18:39   #29
Senior - BHPian

Nice poem.
Maybe true for some and a mockery to others as am seeing in so many posts which imo is not in good taste.

Also the source is mentioned and its not Zoom's poem so hopefully people will stop giving him advices how to live life( which also makes me wonder all those who advices others how to live how perfect is their own life)
harry10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2009, 19:01   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Baz Luhrman's "Everybody is Free to Wear Sunscreen"

A very emotive and inspirational song by Baz Luhrman. The lyrics given below really tell about how life has changed and will change:

Ladies and Gentlemen of the class of '97,
Wear sunscreen. If I could offer you only one tip for the future, sunscreen would be it. The long term
benefits of sunscreen have been proved by scientists, whereas the rest of my advice has no basis or
reliable then my own meandering experience. I will dispense this advice....now.

Enjoy the power and beauty of your youth. Oh, nevermind, you won't understand the power and
beauty of your youth until they've faded, but trust me in 20 years, you'll look back at photos of
yourself and recall in a way you can't grasp now how much possibility lay before you and how fabulous
you really looked. You are not as fat as you imagine.

Don't worry about the future, or worry, but know that worrying is as effective as trying to solve an algebra
equation by chewing bubblegum.

The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that never crossed your worried mind: the kind that blindsides
you at 4pm on some idle Tuesday.

Do one thing every day that scares you.
Sing.
Don't be reckless with other people's hearts; don't put up with people who are reckless with yours.
Floss.
Don't waste your time on jealousy. Sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind. The race is
long, and in the end, it's only with yourself.

Remember compliments you receive; forget the insults. (if you succeed in doing this, tell me how).
Keep your old love letters; throw away your old bank statements.
Stretch.
Don't feel guilty if you don't know what you want to do with your life. The most interesting people
I know didn't know at 22 what they wanted to do with their lives; some of the most interesting 40 year
olds I know still don't.

Get plenty of Calcium. Be kind to your knees -- you'll miss them when they're gone.
Maybe you'll marry, maybe you won't. Maybe you'll have children, maybe you won't. Maybe you'll
divorce at 40; maybe you'll dance the funky chicken on your 75th wedding anniversary.

Whatever you do, don't congratulate yourself too much or berate yourself, either. Your choices are half
chance, so are everybody else's.

Enjoy your body: use it every way you can. Don't be afraid of it or what other people think of it; it's the
greatest instrument you'll ever own.

Dance...even if you have no where to do it but in your own living room.
Read the directions (even if you don't follow them).
Do not read beauty magazines; they will only make you feel ugly.
Get to know your parents; you never know when they'll be gone for good.
Be nice to your siblings: they're your best link to your past and the people most likely to stick with you in
the future.

Understand that friends come and go, but what a precious few should hold on. Work hard to bridge the gaps
and geography and lifestyle, because the older you get, the more you need the people you knew when you
were young.

Live in New York City once, but leave before it makes you hard.
Live in Northern California once, but leave before it makes you soft.
Travel.
Accept certain inalienable truths: prices will rise, politicians will philander, you too will get old; and when you
do, you'll fantasize that when you were young, prices were reasonable, politicians were noble, and children
respected their elders.

Respect your elders.
Don't expect anyone else to support you. Maybe you have a trust fund, maybe you'll have a wealthy spouse,
but you never know when either one might run out.

Don't mess too much with your hair or by the time you are 40, it will look 85.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia;
dispensing it is a way of wishing the past from the disposal--wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts, and
recycling it for more than it's worth.
But trust me, I'm the sunscreen.

Lyrics to "Everybody is free to wear sunscreen".

SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote