Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 14th May 2005, 17:35   #31
BHPian

ya true gordon now i m 16 so i have started weight training so by the age of 20 or 21 i can have a good body. i have also heard one more myth when you stop gymming for a long period your muscles are converted into fat
kooldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2005, 17:44   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
That depends on what kind of gymming you do at what age. Gymming doesn't affect growth, it's how you work out, that does.

Shan2nu
like i said ..its better to take up a sport , chin ups push ups press downs ab crunches , are enough to shape up muscles and swimming or running works so does skipping ..weight training should be minimal ..
turbo_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2005, 17:52   #33
Senior - BHPian

Muscles don't convert into fat. They are completely different.

Muscles burn a lot of energy. When you train, your body understands that it needs a larger, stronger muscles to get the work done. When you stop gymming, the huge, stronger muscles become a liability. The body tends to lose muscle mass so as to reserve energy. If you still have the same huge diet, its not being used and thus gets stored as fat. These two things happen simultaneously and thats why the myth "Muscles get converted into fat". However, to retain muscle mass, L-Glutamine must be taken regularly. Most people take this during vacation time when it is not possible to go to the gym. Glutamine helps in decreasing muscle deterioration.

Anyways please go through those topics mentioned ealier to avoid posting repeated questions.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2005, 21:37   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_lover
like i said ..its better to take up a sport , chin ups push ups press downs ab crunches , are enough to shape up muscles and swimming or running works so does skipping ..weight training should be minimal ..

depends on what is your choice , i being a loner most of the time prefered lifting weights, atleast that fended off bullies in the hostel and other places.

ulimately it's an personal choice.whether he wants to pick up a basket ball or a barbell.

Last edited by aadix : 14th May 2005 at 21:39.
aadix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2005, 08:48   #35
BHPian

will continue gymming as i dont want anyone to bully me and other sports where is stay almost no one plays any kind of sport. all my friends are lazybones they just want to roam all day in bikes then go to a food joint and eat frankies and other stuff.
kooldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2005, 12:23   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooldude
hi guys
i have joined the gym since a week it is airconditioned now my friends are saying that we go in the afternoon or evening. i have heard that in the afternoon the gyming has no advantage and your body wont build up in the afternoon. so all you bodydbuilding freaks please help me.
hey..listen up..i go to gym 5 days a week..i give my self rest for the other two days..usual timings that i go are 5pm to 7pm..the best time for gymmin is ofcourse in the mornings ..cause your muscles just tend to stretch..and freshn..but since i cant go in the mornings , the next best time is in the evening...if you want to work out..extrem..then mornings would be ideal..but some times tiresome..other works get disturbed..i have been gymmin past 1 year..well..i dont take suppliments..its always good if its natural..but it takes time..the fluids you take in does matter a lot..so its ideal to have 500 ml of water every 20min..while gymmin.not normal water..but u need to have cold water..so that the fat in the body burns out fast...if you have a drink like (thums up) after 1 hr of exercise.it tends to burnout the fat faster..cause..it has the highest caffine in it.caffine burnsout fat at higher rate..so its always good to have a drink with caffine in it..like coffee would do..but i would nt suggest something hot while workin out..diet plays a primary role while you gym..if you gym and you dont tend to have a proper diet..then there is no use..of it..you need to be patient ..cause we would nt get results in a night or a week..well..thats one thing more important..there are lot more i could tell you..if you are intrested..sort of tips..for fast burnout..without suppliments..
freakrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2005, 22:15   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakrz
...if you have a drink like (thums up) after 1 hr of exercise.it tends to burnout the fat faster..cause..it has the highest caffine in it.caffine burnsout fat at higher rate..so its always good to have a drink with caffine in it..like coffee would do..

a strong black coffee with loads of ice would be a better option and it's always better before the workout not after.
as caffeine also stimulates your nerves therby make u more alert and therby helping better concentration.
also the excess caffiene is filtered out faster by the kidneys during workouts.
Old 16th May 2005, 09:27   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadix
a strong black coffee with loads of ice would be a better option and it's always better before the workout not after.
as caffeine also stimulates your nerves therby make u more alert and therby helping better concentration.
also the excess caffiene is filtered out faster by the kidneys during workouts.
yea..thatz correct..i mean..taking it between the workout is also ok..well it helps a lot..and you ll actually feel the difference..i have nt tried black coffee..my gym does nt have a cofee machine... ..gotta try it out sometime..
freakrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2005, 10:47   #39
Senior - BHPian

for that matter i have heard of a lot of body builders take a few tokes of Marijuana before they start working out ..
I think even Arnold Schwarzeneger mentioned it in his book .. it enables them to focus more, which play a vital role in body building .
Old 16th May 2005, 15:21   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
for that matter i have heard of a lot of body builders take a few tokes of Marijuana before they start working out ..
I think even Arnold Schwarzeneger mentioned it in his book .. it enables them to focus more, which play a vital role in body building .
Hahahaa.... thats a new one for me, at least. Did u know heavy smoking of weed (like 4 to 5 joints a week) decreases ur mental powers? Brawn over brain? no thanks!

Oh and just so am not accused of posting hearsay, here is the link:
http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=30105

Last edited by amitoj : 16th May 2005 at 15:22.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2005, 16:59   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

arnold only promoted the use of caffiene NOT marijuana in his book.

if he did mention in his book,pls tell the pg no.

thx.
Old 16th May 2005, 22:26   #42
Senior - BHPian

My bad guys .. arnold confessed - that he used to smoke pot, but not in his book ..

why some body builders use marijuana -

1) smoking pot increases appetite - which helps them put on more bulk..coz the eat more ...

2) i knew a few guys in my university gym who took few tokes b4 hitting the gym ... it helps focus better on your reps ..

i never tried so i wouldnt know ..
Old 16th May 2005, 22:40   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My bad guys .. arnold confessed - that he used to smoke pot, but not in his book ..
Dude, that's what the 70's was all about. Rock and roll, Hare Rama Hare Krishna, get it. LOL

And Arnold was an Austrian teen, who's only dream was to come to the US and be able to do everything they did.

But, that still doesn't prove the fact that he did it on a regular basis and that too while working out. It hasn't been mentioned in his movie "Pumping Iron " either.

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2005, 22:44   #44
Senior - BHPian

ohhh ...it was edited man ..i read about it too ..that arnold requested the editors of the movie the bit where he talks about him smoking pot ... i dont know if the unedited version was released later or not ..

and yah 70's was the time when all the $*&^ went down dawg !
Old 16th May 2005, 22:46   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

if u dont mind could i (i would sure like to) know more details abt it like when and where...
bit curious abt it....

Last edited by aadix : 16th May 2005 at 22:53.