Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 4th July 2017, 15:46   #1531
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Help smoking Team-BHP members quit smoking

I would be interested in hearing from anyone with an experience of going down to zero, and staying at zero for a year thereafter, with zero cigarette consumption in that year. Or even anyone that went to zero nicotine, stopped vaping, and stayed without cigarettes thereafter for a year after stopping.

Assuming of course that there is no other addictive chemical in play.

Last edited by Sawyer : 4th July 2017 at 15:47.
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2017, 21:56   #1532
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Am a vaper myself (although I still enjoy my cigarettes...though at a far lower frequency now). Check out www.vape.co.in. Authorised importer, sells the V2 Pro Series 3 which is universally acknowledged as the best e-cig out there. Almost 90% of the pleasure of a real cigarette - trust me. They also have flavours to match your brand - I use "V2 Platinum Red" which is scarily similar to a Marlboro Red.

What's more, the service levels of this company are outstanding. Try them out.
Will try out the liquids they have ...
As for the device, i think am partial towards the mod kits .. although I do need a backup device for one of those days I misplace my primary so let me look up some reviews...

On a side note, I too used a tobacco flavored liquid for a few days and kept alternating between analogs and vaporizer...
However, I ran into an experienced vape bar owner who made me try a bunch of non tobacco flavors (which I did not like much to begin with ) and suggested I stick to the one I dislike the least for 1-2 days (which oddly enough turned out to be pineapple which I don't like much even as a fruit)
And surprise surprise, a few days later, the taste of analogs starting feeling so odd I gave up altogether

Now I don't know if you intend to (or even want to ) give up on analogs altogether.. But in case you do, do give this method a try!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
I would be interested in hearing from anyone with an experience of going down to zero, and staying at zero for a year thereafter, with zero cigarette consumption in that year. Or even anyone that went to zero nicotine, stopped vaping, and stayed without cigarettes thereafter for a year after stopping.

As for the first bit, there are quite a few anecdotal stories you will find on Intl vaping forums.. However high grade vaporizers are still very new , esp in India so it is unlikely you will find someone right away..
In any case, even if someone sticks to nicotine, its still at best near zero harm.. at worst , harmful yet several scales lower on the harmfulness scale than regular burning tobacco smoke

The second bit is highly implausible - considering quite a few people make their own mixes with pharma grade Veg glycerine/Propylene glycol + nicotine and their experience is seemingly no different from people who buy ready made
Similarly, while I don't mix my own, I have tried liquids from an India based supplier, a small indy shop in London and a US e-tailer.. Other than flavor differences, there wasn't anything different between them

eLiquid manufacturers often tend to be small boutique shops unlike big pharma or big tobacco so it would be a bit too far fetched for such conspiracy theories to be at play

Last edited by abhi182 : 4th July 2017 at 22:05.
abhi182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2017, 02:07   #1533
BHPian

A long but worthy read on the topic at hand
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics...-vape-20151221
Old 5th July 2017, 07:12   #1534
Senior - BHPian

I don't see any point in being a part of a thread that endorses the use of nicotine in an ongoing manner, so this is my last post here.
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2017, 08:58   #1535
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi182 View Post
A long but worthy read on the topic at hand
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics...-vape-20151221
Leave it. There is no point to going on about vaping here. I tried it and gave it up many pages back. Purists cannot understand that a cigarette burns 5000 chemicals at a high temperature. 4999 of those chemicals aren't there in a vape. And it's at a lower temperature. And nicotine is not considered to be that harmful as compared to tar and other stuff. The biggest reason nicotine has a bad name is because it's associated with smoking. Purists want everyone to follow the exact method they followed. They don't understand how helpful vaping has quickly become the most successful way to quit smoking.

Last edited by carboy : 5th July 2017 at 09:00.
carboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2017, 10:23   #1536
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Leave it. --------SNIP---------g.

I think we can drop the whole discussion here since people are getting offended. Ask for a cleanup and move on, yeah?
mayankk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2017, 10:43   #1537
BHPian

Yeah, a separate thread on vaping specifically may not be a bad idea at all..
While in college, I probably got 10+ people hooked to smoking.. My idea of penance would be to get 20 people off it now
Old 5th July 2017, 15:59   #1538
BHPian

Quote:

I quit about 3 and a half years ago. I used to smoke about 5-6 cigarettes a day back then. It was a challenge initially no doubt but using Nicotine gum, in small quantities, I finally managed to completely stop smoking in about a years time. Too much Nicotine gum can cause severe heartburn and other stomach issues.
Once your body gets used to no-nicotine, you will never ever feel like smoking or consuming tobacco in any form...in-fact now i cannot stand the smell of cigarettes around me...!
It also helps if you stay away from people who smoke or common smoking areas. I'm sure you will be successful in quitting too.

One more thing, from my experience "quitting" tobacco means "quitting" every form of it whatsoever. Vaping, Hookah etc. will never help you quit. Nicotine gum helps as you don't inhale it but chew/taste it. But gum also has a procedure to be followed with the intention of going gum-free after a while.

Last edited by Crankpin : 5th July 2017 at 16:07.
Crankpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2017, 17:56   #1539
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah, a separate thread on vaping specifically may not be a bad idea at all..
Do start one! It is not illegal, and it is not one of the substances that may not (for good reason) be encouraged on the forum. Go for it!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2017, 19:20   #1540
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Do start one! It is not illegal, and it is not one of the substances that may not (for good reason) be encouraged on the forum. Go for it!
We have discussed it before and it doesn't make sense to have two threads on topics that are this closely related. As long as people comment on vaping as a way of quitting smoking, it's all good!

Quote:
I don't see any point in being a part of a thread that endorses the use of nicotine in an ongoing manner, so this is my last post here.
Please continue posting- I know I will! It would be a tragedy if those who have quit cold turkey are silenced by those who have merely substituted one habit for another. I believe there are a number of people subscribed to this thread who would require support and help to see them through a cold turkey quit, which us "purists" can provide.
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2017, 19:36   #1541
Senior - BHPian

Can we please stop with the constant one upmanship, for starters? Quite unbecoming, that is.
mayankk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2017, 19:43   #1542
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
We have discussed it before and it doesn't make sense to have two threads on topics that are this closely related. As long as people comment on vaping as a way of quitting smoking, it's all good!
Is this a recent change in policy?

I had stopped posting on this thread for quite some time because we were earlier admonished for it - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post4028169 (Help smoking Team-BHP members quit smoking)
carboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2017, 22:52   #1543
Distinguished - BHPian

Indeed, I recall previous moderator support for not discussing vaping.

I really don't think it is closely related, and it it just means the giving-up thread is going to become a lets do it another way thread. but not my decision...
Old 6th July 2017, 00:40   #1544
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Is this a recent change in policy?

I had stopped posting on this thread for quite some time because we were earlier admonished for it - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post4028169 (Help smoking Team-BHP members quit smoking)
Oh man, the plot gets thicker! :

On a side note, whether it be this thread or whether we create another, the intent is for people who have/want to quit smoking cigarettes share their experiences..for better or for worse..And let readers draw their own conclusions...

Those who quit completely , great for them
For those who are still trying, my way may be better than yours or vice versa

Here is my anecdote for the day - An old colleague who has been struggling with quitting for a long time now asked me to order a vape device for him...
Cold turkey hasn't worked for him despite repeated attempts (I hope this won't make some of you judge him as a lesser human being )

Now this may just enable him to at least switch to a lower risk option .. or maybe it won't... Either way, it's just his way of attempting to move to a healthier lifestyle - and there certainly isn't anything wrong with that!

Last edited by abhi182 : 6th July 2017 at 00:44.
Old 6th July 2017, 01:00   #1545
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... and there certainly isn't anything wrong with that!
(You knew somebody would find something, right? )

What's wrong with that? Much of the answer is in the word lifestyle. A lifestyle is generally not something one adopts on a temporary basis.

Vaping is an investment. I don't know how much that stuff cost (?) but I don't think people will be buying in with plans to throw it all away at the end of the month.
Nicotine gum: the only cost is the packets. When you no longer need to use it, you're through spending money. There was no capital investment.

Nicotine patches: ditto. No capital investment.

Cigarettes: Heck, for the cold-turkey guys, the cost of your last packet is the cost of giving up. End of spending. And nobody has to buy a machine.

Emotional and mental investment:
Ceasing to smoke: if a person is going to succeed, they need a mental and emotional investment in stopping.

vaping: mental and emotional investment in going on doing something.
So, ok, it's much less dangerous. So vape. Vape for ever, and do the social investment thing of discussing the ins and outs, the machines and the mixtures. On a vaping thread. And there is nothing illegal about cigarettes, so why not a favourite-brands thread? It is not against forum or national laws to smoke them. Nobody is obliged to give up.

And that is my answer to both what's wrong with that and
Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster
it doesn't make sense to have two threads on topics that are this closely related
One is about doing something; the other is about not doing something.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 6th July 2017 at 01:03.