Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 9th August 2017, 14:43   #1561
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Help smoking Team-BHP members quit smoking

Well Abhi, good for you on reducing your actual smoking to [near-]zero. Yes, it has to be an improvement. But your long term major investment in nicotine?
Thad E Ginathom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2017, 17:09   #1562
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi182 View Post
as an insurance against accidents/big tobacco led banning
I am always a bit worried about liquids, but hardware shouldn't be a worry - it's mostly from China and fasttech would always be there.

About liquids, my fear has reduced recently. A few US politicians have come out in favour of ecigs & also NHS in the UK has also come out in favour of ecigs. So I don't see that much possibility of eqliquids disappearing from the market - there may be more regulation & prices may increase & variety may decrease, though.
carboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2017, 12:14   #1563
Senior - BHPian

The writing is on the wall!
Attached Images

vinay kamath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2017, 01:02   #1564
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Well Abhi, good for you on reducing your actual smoking to [near-]zero. Yes, it has to be an improvement. But your long term major investment in nicotine?
It's just a risk hedge Thad
I will explain through a few observations I have made over this period

a) The good news is that my morning nicotine craving is a lot less intense
When I smoked, I HAD to HAVE my morning smoke with coffee as the first thing before I could transform to a normal human being
Not the case anymore with my vape - I can now wake up..spend some quality time with my wife and dogs before i get any urge to vape..
I guess it is a good omen that I may potentially be able to cut to zero too

b) The interesting news is that I now find the smell of smoke difficult to bear ...with the precondition that I have been able to vape my strawberry cheesecake or lemonade vape :P
If however it has been a while since I last vaped, the same smell starts to feel enticing

Now (A) is certainly a good sign but given (B), i really don't want to be in a situation that I fall back to smoking if (A) does not happen
Therefore the long term investment (which is technically not a financial investment given the years worth of Nicotine supply in the freezer cost me less than half a month of smoking)
Of course, if (A) happens in due course, this stockpile can lie there for an eternity (or at least till I give up the ghost) gathering ice crystals if not dust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I am always a bit worried about liquids, but hardware shouldn't be a worry - it's mostly from China and fasttech would always be there.

About liquids, my fear has reduced recently. A few US politicians have come out in favour of ecigs & also NHS in the UK has also come out in favour of ecigs. So I don't see that much possibility of eqliquids disappearing from the market - there may be more regulation & prices may increase & variety may decrease, though.
I guess my worry is that the situation is a bit unpredicatable..
Which is why I have created the aforementioned stockpile in the deep freeezer..
FWIW I am mixing my own liquids now - the primary contents are un-bannable (i wonder if that is even a word) viz vegetable glycerin, propylene glycol and food grade flavors
The last bit is the fun part, I have picked a good amount of FlavorArt and TFA (The Flavor apprentice) food flavor concentrates on a recent trip and it is quite addictive (in a quasi-culinary way) to mix them in varying proportions to see what you get in the end

Last edited by abhi182 : 12th August 2017 at 01:20.
abhi182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2017, 01:41   #1565
Senior - BHPian

I have been smoking since last 7 years (7-8 cigarettes / day). I had tried to quit few times and it never happened. I was wondering how many cigarettes I would have smoked till date and did a rough calculation. It's around 20,000 . A cigarette used to cost 6 Rs when I started smoking and now it's 15 bucks . Again a rough calculation and I would have spent 2 lakhs only for cigarettes.. WTH!!! If I had saved this money, I could have bought a bigger turbo, intercooler and many more mods for my S-Cross haha. We are all car guys here.. Let's start thinking this way and don't burn money on cigarettes.

OK it's day 1 and let me see if I succeed this time.

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 22nd August 2017 at 01:51.
Dr.Naren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2017, 10:27   #1566
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srini76 View Post
Dear All, I am not advocating nicotine in this thread but just sharing how I have managed to get off cigarettes and vaping has helped me do it _ done with it !............. My next goal is lasting out till 1st sep and ending the 3mg stuff on or before 1st sep !!
Thanks, Srini

As a continuation to my earlier post - YES I lasted without cigs from 15th July to Sep 1st _ Yes I continue to vape but surprisingly it has come down too _ I did not do it honestly it just happened !! I am now on a combination of 3mg and 0 mg and My avg liquid consumption is below 2 ml a day - all vaping liquids ordered now are 0 mg and I have about 3 - 4 3mg's left which I intend to blend and end vaping too !!

Incidentally starting walking today as my annual bike ride is in Jan 2nd Week - This is its planned to Dandeli, om beach and Shirdi from Chennai and back - Next goal is to shed 20 Kilos in 4.5 Months - I am 5'10 and currently weigh 85 kilos !! Need to make it 70 (yes it comes to 15 Kilos) but if i aim for 20 maybe i will end with 15 !!!!

Regards,

Srini
Srini76 is offline   Reply With Quote