Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 19th October 2009, 21:31   #376
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1988765 View Post
I dont agree. I go to the hym, i still smoke worst part is i smoke one just before and one right after my workout. But i definately reduced smoking once i started working out. Used to smoke 20-25 cigs before now i cut down to 4-6. 1 pack easily lasts 4-5 days.
I tried quitting atleast 3 times in the last year maximum i lasted was 1 month :(
Let me guess.
You do a lot of heavy weights right.
No problem in doing 2 to 3 reps of some heavy duty stuff.
Shoulders and Bench press and all the big muscle groups.

But you dont do the tread mill, aerobics kind of stuff.

Why do I sound cocky. Cos I used to do exactly the same thing.
a smoke before and a smoke after work out.
That is how I had always done it.

But now that I have crossed 30, I concentrate more on the sweat than on the grunt.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2009, 22:24   #377
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
I don't know what you are trying to say there. Are you saying we should wait until the first timers become hardcore smokers and then try to get them to stop smoking???

On one hand, you say that these pics will scare off first time smoker and on the other hand, you say don't post those pics. If the pics scares off the first timers, isn't that half the job done?? i.e. stop the first timers from becoming hardcore smokers.

As far as hardcore smokers go, wish you all the best in getting the other half of the job done.
I am trying to say (in plain English) that this thread is about helping smokers give up smoking. The heading makes it pretty clear. It is not about stopping first timers, which is also a noble thing to do but this thread is not about that. These two are completely different things. It is only the non-smokers who confuse between the two and often equate the two. We are talking about cure. Not prevention here. I am not saying prevention is not necessary. I am saying this thread is about cure.
And I say from global experience that showing smokers morbid pictures is not a very effective way of helping them quit. It just does not work. It has never worked anywhere in the world.
I am also saying that showing such pictures is okay if the objective is to discourage first timers from taking up. But this thread is -I repeat - ABOUT HELPING SMOKERS QUIT. It is not about scaring first timers off. That is a noble thing, no doubt. But this is not the thread for that.
These are two completely separate issues and have to be dealt with in completely separate ways.
If you think in a convoluted manner then that's your problem. Not mine.
You are obviously not a smoker - you are a blessed individual - and this thread is not for you.
There are three types of people in this world - those who have never smoked, those who smoke and those who have given up smoking. The first group of people don't need to worry about the other two.
This is as plain English as I could possibly write. If you want to make sweeping assumptions about what I am saying then that is your problem really.

Last edited by Sudipto-S-Team : 19th October 2009 at 22:31.
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2009, 00:13   #378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Let me guess.
You do a lot of heavy weights right.
No problem in doing 2 to 3 reps of some heavy duty stuff.
Shoulders and Bench press and all the big muscle groups.

But you dont do the tread mill, aerobics kind of stuff.

Why do I sound cocky. Cos I used to do exactly the same thing.
a smoke before and a smoke after work out.
That is how I had always done it.

But now that I have crossed 30, I concentrate more on the sweat than on the grunt.
Actually no quite the oppossite. I go to the gym primarily to lose weight. (Have lost 25kgs in the past year) I do cardio for an hour and weights one body part 6 variations 3 sets, 12 reps each set (the last set usually only 10 though)
This is majorly OT.

Basically what i wanted to say is that at the end of the day it is you who should want to really really quit. Joining gym, going for walks drives etc. really doesn't make a difference if you dont want to quit.
The 3 times that i tried to quit i was always looking for a reason to smoke.
I guess i never really wanted to quit as most of my friends smoke and the few that dont have never smoked in their lives. I am the only one who wants to quit and i find it really difficult to control the urge to smoke when 3-4 people light up in front of me.
There i am looking for reasons for not quitting again

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
So, you must be one of the rarest species among humans I know of. Majority of my Gym companions used to be heavy smokers, but none of them smoke now (ocassionaly having a puff is different from regular addicted smoking, because one is without the urge and other is with), purely because a smoker usually pants while handling weights. Medically because your lungs are not clean to take a full breath.

Ideally you should throw that ciggy out of the window and have a protein drink before and after workout. I doubt if you can really feel a 100% freshness after a good workout. Just my thoughts from personal experience.
I guess i am a rare species then.

I do to take a protein drink before and after workout. Sad part is i do that while smoking.

Edit: I am not saying that i dont feel the difference of working out without smoking but i feel the difference is not too drastic (i can lift about 10-15% heavier weights and jog,cycle, row faster for a longer peiod of time)

Last edited by Dippy : 20th October 2009 at 11:19. Reason: Excessive smilies
cooldude1988765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2009, 00:27   #379
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I guess i never really wanted to quit as most of my friends smoke and the few that dont have never smoked in their lives. I am the only one who wants to quit and i find it really difficult to control the urge to smoke when 3-4 people light up in front of me.
There i am looking for reasons for not quitting again
Good! You are beginning to understand how it works, and that is a major plus for you.

Try thinking of the addiction as something that is not you, but something that hitched a lift and hijacked you. Then it sweet-talked you, and got to know you very well. Boy does it know your weaknesses! It can get you to light up right now!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2009, 10:35   #380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
I am trying to say (in plain English) that this thread is about helping smokers give up smoking. The heading makes it pretty clear. It is not about stopping first timers, which is also a noble thing to do but this thread is not about that.
The thread title says "Help smoking Team-Bhp members quit smoking". It does not say "Help hardcore smokers quit smoking" or "Help first time smoker quit". You are free to interpret it any way you like,no problem. But don't force your opinions on what it means, on others.

Also, you may kindly ignore any future posts with "morbid" pictures or report them, your choice.
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2009, 11:11   #381
Senior - BHPian

Non-smokers will never understand it. Forget it mate. You are blessed. And you are actually helping no one.
Old 20th October 2009, 11:27   #382
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You are blessed. And you are actually helping no one.
Thanks, And you can keep your opinions about my "helpfulness" to yourself.

<off to search for more morbid pics on the interweb.. nah.. just kidding >
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2009, 11:55   #383
Senior - BHPian

I am reminded of a famous ghazal by Akbar Allahabadi made more famous by Ghulam Ali ..... "Naa Tajurbakaari Se Vaaiz Kii Ye Baatein Hai Is Rang Ko Kyaa Jaane Puchho Toh Kabhi Pii Hai" . This was in the context of alcohol. The same is true for nicotine also. Those who have never tasted it have no clue what it means to be addicted.
I don't intend to glorify smoking - God above knows I don't - but no one has the right to lecture smokers, least of all people who are too naive to have any clue about what it takes to quit.
Any half witted person who knows how to type google can find a few morbid photographs on the net. That doesn't help smokers quit. Giving them the confidence to quit helps.
Old 20th October 2009, 12:06   #384
BHPian

Sudipto and Spadival, I think you are both helping smokers quit. In fact, we all are trying to do the same.

So lets just continue the good work.
Proxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2009, 12:54   #385
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys! Relax...

Here, sit down and have a cig....
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2009, 13:24   #386
Senior - BHPian

If the purpose of this thread is to help smokers to quit, I have no clue what addicted smokers are doing rounds here, claiming to be doing fine !! I didnt say going to the Gym will permanently help you quit smoking, but its just one of the ways to divert your energies for a better thing in life. There are plenty of other methods that also include drinking some stupid medicine which will make you vomit while inhaling the smoke again, eventually killing the urge.

End of the day, its all about your own conscience and will. I know cardiologists who take a smoke before and after a major surgery ! Can you beat that ?

I agree majority of smokers tend to continue because they have a perfect smoking environment be it at home or at work. Quit smoking is easily said than done. But there is nothing wrong in giving an attempt before its too late.

Last edited by shajufx : 20th October 2009 at 13:26.
shajufx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2009, 14:38   #387
Senior - BHPian

Quite agree with you Shaju. Whether it is going to gym or going to temple, give everything an attempt to find out what works for you. Different things work for different people. In my case, I used to tell myself how can I be truly free if I am such a slave to nicotine. I used to feel so miserable answering the calls and demands of the nicotine demon. I used to want to call the shots and that motivated me to stay quit.
I think easy availability of cigarettes round the corner everywhere in the country makes it all the more difficult for us to quit. You see the shop and get that urge again. On the other hand, when you are doing a transatlantic flight, you feel miserable for the first couple of hours and then it's okay. This is because there is no way you can smoke in a plane. If we could implement such a total ban all over the world smoking would go away in a week.
But then the political implication of such a total ban is such that it will never happen.
Old 20th October 2009, 14:45   #388
Senior - BHPian

Here is a pic from one of my old folders:
Name:  marlboro.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  45.5 KB
shajufx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2009, 15:50   #389
Senior - BHPian

I saw one that said, more Americans smoke than voted for Clinton. This was an old slogan popularised by the tobacco lobby. Saw it as a poster in the chamber of a very senior marketing manager of an Indian tobacco major.
Old 20th October 2009, 16:13   #390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am trying to say (in plain English) that this thread is about helping smokers give up smoking. The heading makes it pretty clear. It is not about stopping first timers, which is also a noble thing to do but this thread is not about that. These two are completely different things. It is only the non-smokers who confuse between the two and often equate the two. We are talking about cure. Not prevention here. I am not saying prevention is not necessary. I am saying this thread is about cure.
And I say from global experience that showing smokers morbid pictures is not a very effective way of helping them quit. It just does not work. It has never worked anywhere in the world.

Considering that nicotine is considered one of the most addictive substances (refer Henningfield of the US National Institute on Drug Abuse, and Dr. Neal L. Benowitz of the University of California at San Francisco), what is the harm in warning prospective users not to smoke???

Second, about graphic warnings. I wonder what has caused you to make an assertion that they do not help. Consider searching `highwire' which is the biggest repository of all medical journals and search there. many articles are abstracts, but one particular article has been posted below. This is not from any journal, but from `Tobacco control' which is considered one of the most authoritative journal in this field.

Graphic warnings were first introduced in Canada in 2001. After a year, research demonstrated that 31% of ex-smokers reported that picture warnings had motivated them to quit. An estimated 27% reported they had helped them to stay smoke-free. Since 2001, several other countries have adopted graphic package warnings including Brazil, Singapore, Thailand, Australia, and Venezuela. Members of the EU are now permitted, but not required, to prescribe graphic warnings, and the EU has also developed a standard set of pictorial warnings for consideration by its members. With effect from October 1, 2008, the UK has become the first country in the EU to introduce graphic picture warnings on cigarette products. Pictures of rotting teeth and lungs, throat cancer, and a `flaccid cigarette’ will be introduced along with current written warnings. Everytime you take out a pack, these images will be visible to you and to those around you. That is a huge difference from the watered down graphic warnings in India (how is scorpion related to smoking).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Graphic Warnings 2009.pdf (869.6 KB, 546 views)

Last edited by vasudeva : 20th October 2009 at 16:15.
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote