Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 12th November 2009, 10:23   #421
Team-BHP Support

But for all you guys who quit smoking there is one bad news.
Your sense of smell gets better.

Our trains stink, our stations stink.
And worse of all, smokers smoking in a train(illegal but ofcourse) make the place stink even more.

I want to apologize to everyone who was disturbed by my stinking habit.
I am genuinely sorry.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2009, 16:41   #422
BHPian

Default This can help...

Guys, been a smoker (wont say chain0 for the past 6+ years..)
Tried to quit almost innumerable, was successful when i quit for two months, the started again...

here are some good facts to motivate you..
• Within 20 minutes your blood pressure, pulse rate and the temperature of your
hands and feet will return to normal.
• Within 8 hours the oxygen level in the blood increases to normal levels.
• In 24 hours, your risk of heart attack starts dropping.
• In 2 days, your nerve endings start to re-grow, and your senses of smell and taste
improve.
• In 3 days, breathing gets easier and lung capacity increases.
• Within 2 weeks to 3 months, your blood circulation improves, your lungs work better
(up to 20-30% better) and walking gets easier.
• Within 1-9 months lung cilia re-grow; coughing, sinus problems and shortness of
breath decrease; and energy increases.
• After one year of quitting, your risk of heart disease is half that of someone who continues to smoke.
• Within three years of quitting, your risk of a heart attack is about the same as someone who has never smoked.
• After 10 years of being smoke free, pre-cancerous cells are replaced and your risk of getting lung cancer is cut in half.

Plus one very important thing is that, we should be able to identify those activities of us, where we smoke most, say in office, then try not to smoke at all in office. just remember there would be one waiting just after office, or you can avoid your cigarette buddies in office during coffee breaks, tell them, they'll understand...

But the list i have pasted above is surely true, after a week, the urge reduces drastically ...

Finally... if everything fails... you can try changing your girlfriend to one who will constantly bug you if you light one... .

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks

Last edited by Technocrat : 13th November 2009 at 16:44. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2009, 16:59   #423
Senior - BHPian

Well, as many have said here the best way to QUIT smoking is to JUST QUIT. No intermediate solutions to that. I did that 8 years ago, a habit of 17 years before that.
Here are a few tips (sure not lighted ones) to help quit:
1. Just Quit. No tapering.
2. Start black coffee no sugar no cream. It helped my nose and tongue in check for the first few weeks.
3. Join hands. - I and my American boss quit on the same day and we always kept check on the other and eventually we both quit. Company always helps to share your feelings - share the body / mind changes that you go through.
4. Most importantly keep saying to yourself, I am not quiting for ever, I can always start. This feeling of comfort that 'its always there and I am only quiting due to my Will Power' does wonders. It takes away that permanent yearning that drives your nervous system crazy. Even better, keep a cigarette in front of you, but don't pick it up. This too works.
5. Don't avoid smoker friends. Be in their company. Avoiding only increases your yearning for it.

Above are tips came out of my practical experience.
Good Luck Smokies...

Last edited by RajaTaurus : 13th November 2009 at 17:11. Reason: corrected some Engilees
RajaTaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2009, 17:32   #424
BHPian

Smoke with awareness - ultimate awareness - forget everything else in the world and know what you are doing!! You will really start enjoying it for sometime, at one point in time the cigarette will simply fall off and you wont feel like smoking..

is what I read/heard somewhere - osho philosophy, difficult to follow because difficult to be convinced. Not sure when I will quit, but I will surely share my experience whenever I will.
Ketan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2009, 12:49   #425
Team-BHP Support

Read more here -> 15 cigarettes: all it takes to harm genes - Science, News - The Independent

Quote:
15 cigarettes: all it takes to harm genes
Study reveals the genetic mutations suffered by smokers who go on to develop lung cancer

By Steve Connor, Science Editor

Scientists believe this new insight into the genetics of cancer will eventually lead to new drugs that target the specific changes to the gene that helps to trigger the disease

One genetic mutation occurs on average for every 15 cigarettes that a typical lung-cancer patient smokes, according to a study that has identified for the first time all of the mutations acquired during the lifetime of a cancer patient.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2009, 13:12   #426
Senior - BHPian

Hi friends,

I was a chain smoker and those who advised me to quit, I replied my money my cigarette. Even argued that those who did not smoke also got cancer. Finally after two stroke I gave up immediately. It was a terrible experience of coming out of the transition period of a month or more. Even my friends could not tolerate my suffering with out smoke. They even told to take a puff or 2 and give up slowly. No I did with great will and now it is 10 years I am a smoke free man. So will power keep it up if you want to quit.
navan49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2009, 13:29   #427
BHPian

Thats true Navan49,

I have been smoking for about 10 years now. I declared a few times that I'm going to quit and stopped for few days and started again (avg smoker with pack(10s) a day).

I stopped again on 12/11 but this time I feel that I'm serious and not going to smoke (not even one puff for next couple of years) any more.
So, far its good, I'm not going thru any physical or nerological withdrawal symptoms as of now,,Not going to use any medicines/patches nothing.. lets see how it goes moving further.

Also read somewhere that if you are smoking for more than a couple of decades and avg or above avg smoker, you have good chances that cacner cells may get activated immediately after you quit (sudden quiting) - not sure how far is it true - dont remember exact logic the research applied behiend it - you're welcome to share if you have more information on that!

Last edited by Ketan : 18th December 2009 at 13:32.
Ketan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2009, 13:32   #428
Distinguished - BHPian

Good for you, Navin; well done.

I envy the people who can smoke a cigarette occasionally and then never think of it until the next time... for most of us, smoking means addiction, and it is not easy to stop.

I'm glad I did. 17 years, now.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2009, 13:34   #429
BHPian

I have been smoking for about 12 years now,Can't imagine how my lungs would look like if taken out but they keep reminding me that they are not exactly in excellent shape whenever i try my luck on a tread mill.

I religiously try to quit every year mostly around new year and my birthday and when I was single to get some favours from my girlfriend on her birthday...(Lo tumhare liye chhod di..khush always works!!)

But I always failed cause to quit something you have to hate it..and honestly I dont hate smoking yet.

it is part of my daily ritual and there will be a void to fill when I am not smoking for example what will I do when I stuck in delhi traffic? or when I have to get into company politics right outside the office( best place of office politics is near the ashtrey)

Last edited by bblost : 29th December 2009 at 16:39.
msharma_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2009, 13:49   #430
Distinguished - BHPian

... addiction speaking! It has an easily recognisable voice ...except to the addict.

Been there. I didn't know it at the time, either, only afterwards.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2009, 15:36   #431
BANNED

Hi All,

This is my 2nd post in this tread. In that, I mentioned that, I too want to quit this habbit. I tried several times, but lost to it after 2 days, sometimes 4 days and one time it lasted for about 2 weeks.

Now, let me tell you, why I'm here again?
I want to scream loud to my self today that:

"I AM KICKING THIS HABBIT FOR EVER AND EVER, COME WHAT MAY".

I will come back to this thread after 2 month to tell you all about my experience.

dev_kudle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2009, 15:49   #432
BHPian

Well Guys,

For me it was always about Will power. First the History.

I got addicted due to young age & ignorance in 10th, I smoked for 5 yrs after that.

Suddenly once day when I was smoking I saw there was this Uncle (friend of my father) park his scooter on the opposite side of the road. i was so horrified about him seeing me to smoke that cig fell off my hands & I ran & hid.

Later i thought if this was the state of mine in front of my father's friend then what will be my state in front of my family & why m i doing something which i cannot do in front of them.

& since then I never smoked . it has been 9 years now.....
SamtheLeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2009, 14:17   #433
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by msharma_79 View Post

I religiously try to quit every year mostly around new year
How about this time?

Quit smoking, get 10 percent hike - SiliconIndia

Quote:
"The idea is to ensure that employees adopt a healthy lifestyle," says A C Ramesh, CEO, Focus Engineering Services, who plans to lead by example. Ramesh has been a smoker for the last 25 years and plans to quit the bad habit, which, he thinks, would have some positive impact on his colleagues
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2009, 14:22   #434
Senior - BHPian

Well, all you need to remember is, if you start smoking chances of impotency increases. That was more than enough for me, never tried. Never will try.
sachinj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2009, 15:34   #435
Distinguished - BHPian

I need some advice and help. My uncle in Delhi is planning to quit smoking. He looked for Nicotine patches in Delhi but he didnt get it.

I'll be meeting him next week. Any place where I can get it in Bangalore? I can buy it and take it for him.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote