Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 26th February 2010, 15:14   #481
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
I completed two months yesterday. I don't crave cigarettes at all anymore.
good going wolfheart, just keep the resolve strong as ever.

good luck
simply_sunny001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2010, 15:26   #482
Senior - BHPian

Wolfheart, I envy you dude! After posting this, I am gonna go have one now. :(
Gilead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2010, 15:33   #483
Senior - BHPian

I am happy to find a thread on TBHP. Thumbs up! Congratulations to all those who gave up.

Here is my friend's and my story.

I have never smoked but passive smoking was part of my life as I have a mate who smoked. I am happy to report that he has quit smoking and now past approx 3 years he swear by the health benefits of being a non-smoker.

The way we did that was; We both did not like eating fruits. I have a different addiction, I like sugar sweet in any format, so the pact that we both had was we both eat a fruit same fruit at that as and when either of us have a craving for smokes or donut/brownie/pie.

We stuck to the deal for 5 months and then everything fell apart as we went partying and he had his fix. Soon after we again started to pact as we both had good effect of fruits on us. He was able to run more rounds and I was feeling light.

Thus ever since Jan 2007 we both had given up on our addictions. He is now in US and happily married.

Now that i am into Ayurveda, I can also recommend people to try Triphala, Amalaki and Ashwagandha. No one ever talks about these in quitting smokes, but these help. Detoxification, better mood and good health is all that these will bring while you try quit smoking.

Cheers!
Sn1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2010, 15:42   #484
Senior - BHPian

Tax has been increased. Time to give up.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2010, 17:32   #485
BHPian

Default Im SURE THIS WILL HELP

Quote:
Hey there wolf heart

considering the hunger for flesh that we have heres a link which is just apt for you and others living in mumbai,

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ut-mumbai.html (A Guide: Eating out in Mumbai)

For those of you from outside mumbai there are similar threads for pune , chennai etc.
MihirC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2010, 17:47   #486
BHPian

@ Simply Sunny - Thanks dude!
@Gilead - No worries mate. I'm sure you will also quit when you really want to do it! I won't be preachy but 'sooner the better' is the mantra!
@mihir

Keep me away from that thread man. I ate a filet mignon for dinner at Indigo last night. Im gaining weight and losing money eating all that meat at fancy places!
Wolfheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2010, 15:04   #487
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Default Health issue of smoking

We all know that smoking causes many health issues. One of the serious problems are that you have free radicals attack your system. One ciggaratte apparently produces a TRILLION free radicals. For what are free radicals in our life read the section Free Radicals in Biology at this link- Radical (chemistry) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Anti-oxidants are a MUST for our system to reduce and prevent free radical damage. If you are a smoker- YOU MUST MUST get onto anti -oxidants(Antioxidant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
My wife specializes in nutrition and preventive health care( internationally certified). She has worked with several people who are smokers and helped them to build up their health system which has been damaged due to smoking. Her friend who is a doctor and deals with many cases of smokers( some even pre-cancer stage) where lesions happen in the mouth has found SUPERB results with my wife's nutrition consultation and advise.
This is for your health- PM me if you would like a FREE consultation. If you have quit or still planning to, the damage caused needs to be compensated. To follow suggestions given will be all in your hands
Seeing the people who have benefited, i am sharing this here, hope some of you take action.
mkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2010, 11:46   #488
Senior - BHPian

2 months and 3 days n counting
Latheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2010, 12:03   #489
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Iam successfully running for 730th day & in next 5 days I would be achieving the 2 yrs mark. But as I mentioned earlier, when you want to quit for lifetime, these numbers does not really matters (Just a stop to smile and continue). Would also like to highlight have done such landmark earlier before I got stuck myself again to this habit, hence the first puff is the real culprit
817 days completed & counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
2 months and 3 days n counting

Quote:
Guys..keep it up. Always remind yourself that first puff is the real enemy whatever tempting the situation may be...AVOID THE FIRST PUFF
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2010, 18:30   #490
BHPian

just 4 days, and counting, the pack of Marlboro is so tempting.

I have one question, is occasional smoking possible? as in if i smoke once in one or two months? or if I smoke something else (stuff). is it really possible? or one has to just leave it completely or continue, there is no middle path?

One gr8 help in smoking is, stay most of the time with people, in front of whom you dont smoke. like your mom
throttleking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2010, 18:34   #491
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
I have one question, is occasional smoking possible? as in if i smoke once in one or two months? or if I smoke something else (stuff). is it really possible? or one has to just leave it completely or continue, there is no middle path?
AFAIK, there is no middle path.

Quote:
One gr8 help in smoking is, stay most of the time with people, in front of whom you don't smoke. like your mom
That's exactly what I did. And what I couldn't do when I smoked.
Proxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2010, 20:01   #492
Distinguished - BHPian

Nicotine is, I've heard, one of the most addictive substances consumed by man so, for most of us, no, there is no middle way: it is smoke or don't smoke, black or white.

I've met people, though, who can take an occasional cigarette and forget about it for the rest of their lives.

Addiction aside, it is never going to be good for one, taking that tar and smoke into one's lungs.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2010, 20:09   #493
BHPian

smoking aint cool , the only thing i like smoked is tires and posers
Mr. Nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2010, 21:55   #494
Senior - BHPian

I am also hoping to quit, but not able to start. Any suggestions on how to kick the butt initially
thedreamcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2010, 04:41   #495
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Well i have completed more than a month as of now. Had a cigar one night out. Using trident gum and it has helped me keep away a lot.

One advantage is that if your friends quit together then you dont have that craving when some one in your group lights up.
maddy42 is offline   Reply With Quote