Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2011, 17:12   #646
Senior - BHPian
 
anilisanil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,435
Thanked: 287 Times
Default Re: Help smoking Team-Bhp members quit smoking

This worked for me:

1) Don't go anywhere near smoking zones.

2) Procrastinate. Yes!! Just think that if you can't resist you will smoke tomorrow!! The first three days are critical though!!

3) Read about the ill effects of smoking after point 2 above, it helps a lot!!!

It was as simple as that for me. I did not smoke for quite sometime, I recently tried to smoke one, but I couldn't!! I threw the stick after a puff!!
anilisanil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2011, 17:45   #647
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Delhi
Posts: 236
Thanked: 129 Times
Default Re: Help smoking Team-Bhp members quit smoking

I smoked for 12 years before quitting. I picked it up in 10th standard - traditional boarding school tomfoolery, and stayed with it till a year after I moved back home after college and six years of work in 2001. My parents put up with the habit quietly, as did everyone around me. Calcutta in those days didn't have the concept of not smoking - you just lit up anywhere.

What worked for me:

1. I really did want to quit. This wasn't one of the three or four half-hearted attempts I made earlier.
2. Lots of water. Lots of loo breaks. Think 6-7 liters a day. I used it as a substitute, training myself to drink a glass of water slowly every time I felt like smoking. I was smoking 30-35 sticks a day then. That equalled a lot of glasses.
3. Not thinking about it, or having a goal or being determined. I just made up my mind.
4. For a brief time, I started Zyban. I stopped needing it after six days. It took me all of four days to go from 35 to zero. My paanwalla was aghast. 'Products' may or may not work for you.

I do identify with lucid dreams of smoking. I had quite a few of them till about five years ago, and then they stopped. I guess it just left my system. Now, I can't stand smoke in any form.

The key thing is that your mind has to take control over your body. And the additional hunger, morning alertness and general feeling of well-being after quitting are totally worth it.

But first, it has to be something you really, really want. It'll happen, just like everything else in life
cranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2011, 23:24   #648
Senior - BHPian
 
maddy42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Phoenix, Coorg
Posts: 1,828
Thanked: 450 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Help smoking Team-Bhp members quit smoking

Have tried quitting numerous times the last 1 year and can easily say this is the toughest thing to do. Worse is when u go to have some drinks!!
maddy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2011, 00:25   #649
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,729
Thanked: 6,937 Times
Default Re: Help smoking Team-Bhp members quit smoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
3) Read about the ill effects of smoking after point 2 above, it helps a lot!!!
That never worked for me.

All those TV programs about the black stuff lining the lungs --- nothing was more sure to make me reach for a cigarette!

Real fear, though, that works. I was lucky: it was a false alarm! But how stupid would it have been to start smoking again? So I remained a non-smoker.

(I had a very real and unpleasant health problem, but it turned out it was nothing to do with smoking, and wouldn't have killed me. Still, the fear came in useful)
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2011, 16:59   #650
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 107
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Re: Help smoking Team-Bhp members quit smoking

3 Weeks without smokes

Blogged about it here.
e1t1bet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2011, 17:26   #651
BHPian
 
OHCVtec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 69
Thanked: 12 Times
Default Re: Help smoking Team-Bhp members quit smoking

I had my last smoke on 23'rd Feb 2011 @ 10 AM. Its been 3 months now. I used to smoke around 10 cigarettes a day since the last 12 years. I had tried reducing smoking earlier however that never works. The only way to quit smoking is "cold turkey",turn off the smoke and turn on life. All the best guys.

Last edited by OHCVtec : 24th May 2011 at 17:27. Reason: Spelling correction
OHCVtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2011, 17:38   #652
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 107
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Re: Help smoking Team-Bhp members quit smoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCVtec View Post
I had my last smoke on 23'rd Feb 2011 @ 10 AM. Its been 3 months now. I used to smoke around 10 cigarettes a day since the last 12 years. I had tried reducing smoking earlier however that never works. The only way to quit smoking is "cold turkey",turn off the smoke and turn on life. All the best guys.
Yep. The way nicotine works, that is the only way. Reducing can work - but would take way too long.
e1t1bet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2011, 22:06   #653
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,729
Thanked: 6,937 Times
Default Re: Help smoking Team-Bhp members quit smoking

Congratulations to the guys joining the smoke-free camp

Remember: you have to keep up the struggle over the weeks and months, and even years ahead. Let Nicotine know you have it beaten, and it is going to stay beaten. It only takes one week moment.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2011, 09:05   #654
BHPian
 
azeemhafiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 281
Thanked: 296 Times
Default Re: Help smoking Team-Bhp members quit smoking

Quit smoking on 26 April, 2010. Its been 13 months. Used to smoke about 40 cigarettes a day and quit after smoking for close to 8 years (8 year average should be 20 / day considering initially i smoked only 10 and then graduated higher).

Irrespective of the various reasons that one can think of, Quit smoking for the sake of quitting smoking. Find reasons that are not subject to be dealt with in the future. For eg: Do not have money as a reason on this list, eventually your mind will convince you to smoke. Motivation needs to be solid, firm belief in health / Doing it for your family (For Bachelors like me try and keep girlfriends out of the equation else you may light up after break up )
azeemhafiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2011, 09:49   #655
Senior - BHPian
 
goandude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 1,333
Thanked: 436 Times
Default Re: Help smoking Team-Bhp members quit smoking

I picked up the habit in college and was a regular smoker till 2000 then stopped for 3 years and started again with months long breaks in between. Last stopped on 27 April. However, I found that it is the SINGLE ciggy which you puff after a break that gets you started again.
goandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2011, 12:16   #656
Team-BHP Support
 
noopster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 8,649
Thanked: 9,163 Times
Default Re: Help smoking Team-Bhp members quit smoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeemhafiz View Post
Quit smoking on 26 April, 2010. Its been 13 months. Used to smoke about 40 cigarettes a day and quit after smoking for close to 8 years (8 year average should be 20 / day considering initially i smoked only 10 and then graduated higher).

Irrespective of the various reasons that one can think of, Quit smoking for the sake of quitting smoking. Find reasons that are not subject to be dealt with in the future. For eg: Do not have money as a reason on this list, eventually your mind will convince you to smoke. Motivation needs to be solid, firm belief in health / Doing it for your family (For Bachelors like me try and keep girlfriends out of the equation else you may light up after break up )
Congrats azeemhafiz! An anniversary like this is worth celebrating

I agree with you 100%- reasons are irrelevant. My friend quit a 40 stick a day habit one fine day when his girlfriend told him to quit. She'd never said anything of that sort before- just came out of the blue and he took it to heart. They split up not long after, but he's been smoke free for almost 9 years now. Incredible!

My uncle was a chain smoker- I mean seriously, there used to be ashtrays all over their house and we kids were totally exposed to it without a thought. One day he had a medical check-up and his doctor told him he was in good health. But... the rest is history: he has not smoked a single one since then.

I read a lot of people here suggesting that one stay away from "danger zones", i.e. hang out less with other smokers, don't drink if that's what triggers it, don't go for walks outside afer meals etc. But the point is that all this will NOT help unless you choose not to smoke. That choice is what empowers you!

Believe me,once you CHOOSE to be a non-smoker, does't matter if all the stress in the world descends on you, everyone around you is smoking and offering you a puff, you will NOT smoke

I must say that while this sounds simple, it sure isn't EASY! So take some time out to think, REALLY truly think about how this habit is affecting you in various ways, then make a choice. And stick with it.
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2011, 16:11   #657
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,729
Thanked: 6,937 Times
Default Re: Help smoking Team-Bhp members quit smoking

Quote:
I must say that while this sounds simple, it sure isn't EASY!
Indeed it is not easy
Quote:
I found that it is the SINGLE ciggy which you puff after a break that gets you started again
Exactly. A single puff in a week moment, or a time of stress, or bad news.

It is a serious addiction, like alcohol addiction, we ex-smokers, like ex-alcoholics, must make sure that we never touch a tobacco product ever again. It has been about 17 years for me, now, and I hate even being around smoke, but I strongly suspect that if I did smoke one, after the coughing an choking, I'd smoke 20 the next day, and the day after that. I don't doubt that I'd find paan, or any tobacco-containing product, just as bad.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2011, 22:42   #658
BHPian
 
azeemhafiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 281
Thanked: 296 Times
Default Re: Help smoking Team-Bhp members quit smoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Congrats azeemhafiz! An anniversary like this is worth celebrating

I agree with you 100%- reasons are irrelevant. My friend quit a 40 stick a day habit one fine day when his girlfriend told him to quit. She'd never said anything of that sort before- just came out of the blue and he took it to heart. They split up not long after, but he's been smoke free for almost 9 years now. Incredible!

My uncle was a chain smoker- I mean seriously, there used to be ashtrays all over their house and we kids were totally exposed to it without a thought. One day he had a medical check-up and his doctor told him he was in good health. But... the rest is history: he has not smoked a single one since then.

I read a lot of people here suggesting that one stay away from "danger zones", i.e. hang out less with other smokers, don't drink if that's what triggers it, don't go for walks outside afer meals etc. But the point is that all this will NOT help unless you choose not to smoke. That choice is what empowers you!

Believe me,once you CHOOSE to be a non-smoker, does't matter if all the stress in the world descends on you, everyone around you is smoking and offering you a puff, you will NOT smoke

I must say that while this sounds simple, it sure isn't EASY! So take some time out to think, REALLY truly think about how this habit is affecting you in various ways, then make a choice. And stick with it.
Good point Noopster, agree with you 100%. It all comes down to choices at the end of the day
azeemhafiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2011, 13:06   #659
Senior - BHPian
 
Swanand Inamdar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,648
Thanked: 571 Times
Default Re: Help smoking Team-Bhp members quit smoking

Here's one who has tried quitting a lot of times. Intervals lasting upto 6 months. In those 6 months, never ever felt the need to light one. Even nowadays, if i dont step out of the house (dont smoke in the house), i dont feel the need to light up.

Oh BTW, been doing it for the past 6 years now, never gone more than 8 a day. Want to reduce that too, a stick a day. Help please!

P.S: Those articles do not affect me a bit. All smokers know the ill effects. None of us are naive, but still...
Swanand Inamdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2011, 15:07   #660
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,729
Thanked: 6,937 Times
Default Re: Help smoking Team-Bhp members quit smoking

Quote:
Those articles do not affect me a bit.
All the TV programs about black tar inside the lungs used to get me reaching for a cigarette. A big scare about my own lungs, though, did the trick. Really, it is better not to wait until it gets to that stage.
Quote:
Here's one who has tried quitting a lot of times
A favourite joke of mine:
Giving up smoking is easy! I've done it lots of times!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Woooooooowwwww!! We just crossed 10000 members...EDIT : 30,000 members!!! Samurai Shifting gears 104 9th July 2012 15:01
BMW threaten to quit F1 Pferdestärke Int'l Motorsport 7 22nd September 2006 13:13
Jaguar to quit F1!! GTO Int'l Motorsport 11 21st September 2004 00:54
Ferrari threatens to quit F-1 Revvmaster Int'l Motorsport 9 17th September 2004 18:35


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:57.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks