Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 31st August 2012, 16:16   #1006
BHPian

Default Re: Help smoking Team-Bhp members quit smoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
Had a horrible dream, in which I was smoking looked down didnt realise and then looked down again and in horror threw the lit cigarette away. Have been thinking till now when I started smoking in my dreams. Did somebody else have similar dreams?
Its 4 months since i quit (though slipped twice on couple of occasions), but I still get dreams that i am smoking. IMO its natural process for everyone and nothing to worry. In my case i smoked 19 years of my life and I am 35 years old now. Quitting smoking means my mind and body feels something routine in my life is terribly missing and this backfires when you sleep and go to dream world. I take it this way - "My mind is still fighting with deadly addiction even in my dreams, when conscious mind has learned to live without cigarettes".

I still feel bad that i slipped on couple of occasions. Nicotine is real evil and devil i tell u, haunts you all the time
lazybrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2012, 16:58   #1007
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Had a horrible dream, in which I was smoking looked down didnt realise and then looked down again and in horror threw the lit cigarette away. Have been thinking till now when I started smoking in my dreams. Did somebody else have similar dreams?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybrain View Post
Its 4 months since i quit (though slipped twice on couple of occasions), but I still get dreams that i am smoking. IMO its natural process for everyone and nothing to worry. In my case i smoked 19 years of my life and I am 35 years old now.
Isn' it a wonderful feeling when you wake up and realise it was just a dream and that you are actually minty-fresh?

I have started getting lucid smoking dreams...meaning I dream that I am smoking, then my rational brain tells me, waiiiit a minute, you've quit...and then I enjoy the smoke knowing it's only a dream!

Best feeling ever I tell ya!
noopster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2012, 17:08   #1008
Senior - BHPian

Well, for all the last few weeks I have been on the verge of smoking again. But also able to keep it at bay for now by eating and overeating when I felt like that.

Not sure if I will give in though I hope I dont! It been a good 12 years and dont want to spoil the record. :(
selfdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2012, 20:13   #1009
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster

Isn' it a wonderful feeling when you wake up and realise it was just a dream and that you are actually minty-fresh?

I have started getting lucid smoking dreams...meaning I dream that I am smoking, then my rational brain tells me, waiiiit a minute, you've quit...and then I enjoy the smoke knowing it's only a dream!

Best feeling ever I tell ya!
Amen to that! It is a good feeling waking up and knowing that it was only a dream and you have actually not smoked! Are these kind of dreams a common thing when people quit smoking?
govigov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2012, 21:18   #1010
BHPian

Quote:
Amen to that! It is a good feeling waking up and knowing that it was only a dream and you have actually not smoked! Are these kind of dreams a common thing when people quit smoking?
+1. I had several of these dreams for the first couple of months. I used to have lucid dreams of smoking in places that I used to frequent, with the people that I go to smoke with etc. Very realistic. Thankfully, they lasted just for the first couple of months. Not had those in sometime now.
Notyetgrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2012, 18:36   #1011
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
Suhaas, whats the deal buddy?
It was harder than I thought. And well, what can I say. My will-power, or the lack of it rather, is something I need to work on. My problem is that I crave for the first few drags and then struggle to smoke the rest, so I end up throwing it or giving it to a friend.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2012, 18:56   #1012
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: Help smoking Team-Bhp members quit smoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Well, for all the last few weeks I have been on the verge of smoking again. But also able to keep it at bay for now by eating and overeating when I felt like that.

Not sure if I will give in though I hope I dont! It been a good 12 years and dont want to spoil the record. :(
Congrats on your record mate. I also used to smoke before but I have quit this habit for 2 years now. I also started over eating and I weigh 69kgs now compared to 50kgs when I used to smoke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
My problem is that I crave for the first few drags and then struggle to smoke the rest, so I end up throwing it or giving it to a friend.
The first few months after I quit, I too had strong cravings to smoke but, just like what you said only for a few drags then I just throw it off.
bullet-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2012, 20:01   #1013
Team-BHP Support

4 smokefree years this week.

Feeling super good.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2012, 20:19   #1014
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullet-tooth View Post
Congrats on your record mate.
Its likely to be broken soon as when I used to smoke it was due to stress. So I need to find a stressbuster before I start to lean on the white stick again.

Any ideas? Eating or exercise is not working. And it isnt going to be solved by nicotine patches as I am trying to keep myself from starting again.
Old 4th September 2012, 20:33   #1015
Senior - BHPian

just like this writer, I finished reading this book last week, and the last chapter of the book has some really good points about smoking.

http://topyourfragileself.blogspot.c...ing-point.html

a few things that I remember:

smokers' influence vs smoking's (as a habit) influence.

physiologically, different people have different resistance to nicotine. Those who have less resistance automatically shun cigarettes (experiments done on rats).

People who smoke below their threshold can continue to smoke occasionally and not be addicted.

nicotine patches don't work because smokers needs shocks of nicotine, not a slow continuous release of nicotine.

psychiatric patients with an emotional problem are far likely to be smokers. Conversely, when treated with anti depressents, many of them lose their need to smoke. (study done on psych. patients)

which raises another controversial point, they are using smoking to subconsciously treat themselves, how do we choose a lesser of the evils?

I wish I could find a better exceprt from this book.

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 4th September 2012 at 20:34.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2012, 00:52   #1016
BHPian

I resumed smoking after 16 weeks. I'm here alone in US for last 3 weeks. I felt depressed and did not smoke for 10 days. After that i just picked one packet and smoked. Though i'm smoking 2-3 per day, Still i'll quit after this pack is over(2nd pack).
akas_chauhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2012, 10:44   #1017
BHPian

Post Re: Help smoking Team-Bhp members quit smoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Its likely to be broken soon as when I used to smoke it was due to stress. So I need to find a stressbuster before I start to lean on the white stick again.

Any ideas? Eating or exercise is not working. And it isnt going to be solved by nicotine patches as I am trying to keep myself from starting again.
Try eating chocolates. Have a few bars of chocolate and eat some whenever you feel like smoking. For stress busting, try taking regular breaks between work and hey there is always Team BHP.
bullet-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2012, 12:26   #1018
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
You are right: planning does not work, and easily leads down the path that you and noopster describe.

Planning does not work, but decision does.
Accidentally bumped into this thread and loved reading it.

I was into the habbit of smoking a pack daily for almost twelve years.
My wife was always after me to quit smoking but I could never do it knowingly.

Then one day when we were all sitting together along with my parents in the evening, suddenly my son rolled a peice of paper and enacted as if he is smoking. When asked by my father, he candidly replied that he is smoking because I do it.

Neither my parents nor my wife made any comments and quietly continued with the tea, but that was the end of it for me.

This was sometime in 2003 and I have never smoked again, except maybe one or two occassions when I met some very old childhood friend.
Sommos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2012, 12:44   #1019
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Try eating chocolates. Have a few bars of chocolate and eat some whenever you feel like smoking.
There's a yes-but that goes with that. Stopping smoking is often associated with weight gain anyway, so increased intake of something fattening would make this worse.

In the short term, though, better to get a little fat as a non smoker than to smoke. The fat can be dealt with later.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 6th September 2012 at 12:45.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2012, 13:02   #1020
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullet-tooth View Post
Try eating chocolates. Have a few bars of chocolate and eat some whenever you feel like smoking. For stress busting, try taking regular breaks between work and hey there is always Team BHP
already said that eating is not working. neither is exercise. tbhp sometimes adds to the stress. looking at the bike you planned/ saved to buy, but the savings eaten up by inflation. equals to more stress!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
There's a yes-but that goes with that. Stopping smoking is often associated with weight gain anyway, so increased intake of something fattening would make this worse.
yes-but I already have a little bit of fat and thats not my concern. in fact if anything my appetite has reduced.
will try to cook/ bake something this weekend. it has helped at times.