Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 5th February 2014, 06:46   #1216
BHPian

I quit after smoking for 27 years! My son younger son was a reason too, as he kept telling me to quit.
One day I lit a cigarette, looked at it, said *** and stubbed it out, never to pick one since. It's been 19 months and don't see myself doing it again. Every time I had the urge initially, I used to drink some water, eat something if possible, call someone to talk to, surf on my phone/iPad, etc. It worked, except that I gained 5 kilos in 3 months, being on a controlled diet;-)! Guys, if you want to you can. Most times we say we can't and try Tentatively, that fails. My sincere request to everyone smoking: please, please, please quit. YOU CAN.
Tha'Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2014, 21:19   #1217
BHPian

Default Re: Help smoking Team-BHP members quit smoking

I have been smoking for the past 17 years. I had quit smoking few time in between. Once I had quit and did not touch ciggies for almost 2 years. However during office hours when I went with my friends and when they got to know that I had been smoking they urged me to have a puff and that led me to pick up the habit again. Nowadays I don't smoke during the weekends but the moment I am out of home heading towards office, I have pit stops for smoking.

After reaching office it becomes a regular affair to go with friends for breaks and smoke. While heading back home again I have couple of pit stops for smoke. I want to quit but the stress and tension in office and at home makes me a regular smoker. The number of ciggies I smoke varies from day to day. Some days I smoke 10 other days I don't cross 5. Nowadays I am slowly cutting down to less than 5 and eventually stop one day. Hope that it happens.
sabsubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2014, 23:54   #1218
Distinguished - BHPian

sabsubs, wanting to quite is not enough, and hope is useless. Only one thing works: doing it!

Really. It sounds hard, but that is how it is.

This whole thread supports everyone taking that step. Hope there is something here to help you. You can do it, you know! But you have to!

All the best, from an addict who hasn't smoked for 20 years.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2014, 21:46   #1219
BHPian

I started smoking at the age of 16 and for 30 years i smoked.. Initially i used to smoke around 2 -3 a day but later as studies and career made it its way into my life my smoking increased and it stablised to around 10 - 15 cigarettes a day.

Many a time i felt it was time i quit but was never able to quit.

Finally in 2009 I quit and quit it for good.Since then nearly 5 years now and i havent touched a cigarette..

I analysed this many times as to why i could not leave it earlier and the only reason i could think was that earlier i had the inclination to quit but not the right attitude i didnot WANT to quit cigarette actively and sincerely. This my friends is probably the difference that helps you quit for good. When i quit i had this one last cigarette in the pack. I took it out looked at it and flipped out and told it I am never ever going to come back to you baby!

Yes the first few days where difficult, I used to get tempted by the smell of cigarette smoke if someone i passed was smoking or when i passed a group of smokers but once I resisted those early days i never had a problem and by GOD's Grace i was successful.

Today 4 and a few months since i have put on weight, look much more healthier, have much more energy and lead a far more healthier life.

Smoking Kills and honestly when i look back to those 30 years i can't but regret the amount of money i must have spent on cigarettes and also the kind of passive poison i must have put my family through.

Be positive and have the right attitude you can kill the nicotine urge if you will it!

Good Luck!

God Bless!

Cheers!
shashi63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2014, 13:48   #1220
BHPian

So, there was a bit of twist in the story. I stayed quit for exactly two years (since February 2012) and I did that again.

I was in Leh for chadar trek during first week of February, I'm still trying to figure out what made me start again, but I feel there wasn't anything important enough that can be analyzed. I had a company of wonderful folks from Pune who used to smoke+ethanol every single day (not all were smoking though) pre/post/during the trek! May be just to make sure I don't considered to be an odd man out there!! I'm not worried about what made me buy a pack of cigarette on my second day at Leh when I joined this group, but I just did!

So, during all 7 days of trekking and a rest day in Leh, we were like a crazy group, partying every evening (we also managed to get local 'ethanol' for last 2 days in the trek when the group ran out of the stock they were carrying!). A couple times when I asked myself, I wasn't enjoying the smoke as earlier I guess! Who cares, I was more concerned about dealing with -10 (in and around Leh) to cresting -28/30 degrees where we spent nights during our trek.

However, I was determined to stop once I'm back, the folks in the group literally ran to the smoking zone at Delhi airport, I joined them but I had my last one at Leh.
Now its been a couple weeks since I'm back and happy that I don't feel like smoking again, the same feeling that I had for past two years and I guess I'm still good. I don't know for how many more years, I wont touch the stick again but I'm not worried about those numbers here, the frame of mind I'm in is more important for me at this time.
All the luck to guys (and myself) who have been making the attempt and I'd say its not difficult. Stay quit stay healthy!

Note: One should not be consuming any type of ethanol during such high altitude treks, the group I was with was an experienced bunch of folks from one of the oldest trekking communities at Pune and I had been to bit higher than the altitude we were at without much issues that may have enabled me to take that risk, but it can still be fatal if one doesn't understand when/where/how much type of limits.

Last edited by Ketan : 23rd February 2014 at 14:06.
Ketan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2014, 14:08   #1221
Distinguished - BHPian

Some people can take it or leave it, having an occasional cigarette, eg at a party, and not even thinking about smoking for days, weeks, months, in between. Lucky people! For most of us, that is absolutely impossible.

I was talking to an elderly friend recently, who has major problems with her husband's health (of which the biggest is that, however sick he gets, he won't admit that he has a problem) and tobacco is at the root of that. She was telling me that he did give up once, but someone wrapped some tobacco in a betel leaf and tempted him, and that was it, back to addiction.

This stuff, in any form, is so dangerous.
Old 24th February 2014, 09:36   #1222
Senior - BHPian

i am sober since thursday .

I have not taken a single puff, i wish to stay this way but i am getting a lot of cravings is it normal?

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2014, 10:30   #1223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post

I have not taken a single puff, i wish to stay this way but i am getting a lot of cravings is it normal?

Pramod
The cravings are totally normal. Whenever you get the urge to smoke, drink some water or have some fruits. Just keep yourself occupied so that you don't let in to your cravings.
The cravings should subside in a week or so.
a*ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2014, 14:17   #1224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a*ed View Post
The cravings are totally normal. Whenever you get the urge to smoke, drink some water or have some fruits. Just keep yourself occupied so that you don't let in to your cravings.
The cravings should subside in a week or so.
Completely normal.

Have a chocolate, drink water, fruits, chew gum whatever helps. It's just the first few days. Stay strong. Say no to inner being and you can quit. I am sure you can and will be successful. The key is you should be internally strong and motivated to quit!

Cheers!

Stay Strong! Stay Healthy!
shashi63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2014, 14:25   #1225
Team-BHP Support

The total number of days between Tuesday, September 2nd, 2008 and Monday, February 24th, 2014 is 2,001 days.

That is also the number of days since I last had a cigarette.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2014, 14:32   #1226
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Pramod
Chew sugar-free gum. Its keeps your mouth occupied, and controls initial cravings.
arunphilip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2014, 14:37   #1227
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Be prepared for it to get worse before it gets better, and even to try fooling you by erupting when you haven't even thought about smoking for a while.

It is like saying no to a spoilt child. You have to put up with crying, shrieking and tantrums, but still, no means no, and that is what you have to remember, however bad it gets.
Old 24th February 2014, 15:00   #1228
BHPian

Quote:

Pramod
Great going, you have now got a new lease of life with this move .

Keep yourself involved (e.g.) hit the gym, clean your car & house , go on a long drive...
Mr_Bean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2014, 22:56   #1229
BHPian

Quote:

Pramod
Its normal! Just stick to your resolve. That's right, you can try some low sugar chocolates, activities like exercise, running, adventure activities that excites you or relaxation activities like meditation, getting massage and even sex helps release endorphin in the body that would surely help with the withdrawal symptoms!
You have taken one of the best decisions of your life! All the luck!
Ketan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2014, 09:51   #1230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a*ed View Post
The cravings are totally normal. Whenever
Quote:
Originally Posted by shashi63 View Post
Completely normal. Stay Strong! Stay Healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Chew sugar-free gum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
but still, no means no, and that is what you have to remember, however bad it gets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
Great going, you have now got a new lease of life with this move .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
Its normal! Just stick to your resolve.
Thanks for the support guys, I feel empowered now .

I already bought a hamsterwheel last month, planning to put that to use. i am also setting up a mini Gym at home, hope its done now.

I have taken a vow that i will never smoke again, not even a puff. Its little better now. i heard it takes 21 days for the mind to kick a habbit, i am already 5 days through.

pramod
pramodkumar is offline   Reply With Quote