Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 10th May 2016, 09:19   #1366
BHPian

Default Re: Help smoking Team-BHP members quit smoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by patron View Post
Finally, after 20 years of smoking and graduating to 20 a day in the last 6-8 months, quit cold turkey.
Successful 115 days of not smoking and saved Rs. 30k already and 10 days of my life as per my app
patron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2016, 10:14   #1367
Senior - BHPian

now, kaun banega karodpati?
Attached Thumbnails
Help smoking Team-BHP members quit smoking-cigg.jpg  

vinay kamath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2016, 16:46   #1368
Senior - BHPian

I didn't have the energy to go through the whole thread. I just wanted to know how effective is vaping? I also wanted to know where do people get their e Juice from? Thought of giving it a try.

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2016, 18:12   #1369
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
I didn't have the energy to go through the whole thread. I just wanted to know how effective is vaping?
Effective at what? Delivering nicotine into your body?

I don't know, but i expect it works. Health risk? You are still inhaling stuff. You are still taking nicotine. You are still an addict.

If you are going to give up: give up! Cut the strings that bind you to the addictive drug nicotine. Giving up means giving up. Changing the consumption method is not giving up.

So please, go on smoking, or take a real decision to leave it all behind and do it. But don't fool yourself. That kind of thinking is how nicotine keeps us as slaves.

Yes, I take a hard line on this --- I needed to to give up and to stay that way
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2016, 19:06   #1370
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
So please, go on smoking, or take a real decision to leave it all behind and do it. But don't fool yourself. That kind of thinking is how nicotine keeps us as slaves.
Words worth their weight in gold.

Don't remain a slave to this horrible addiction.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2016, 09:56   #1371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
99% of e cigs(especially ones available in India) are nicotine free. This has less side affects as the smoke doesn't have CO and other dangerous substances. This is surely going to affect the tobacco lobby badly, hence the bad rumours. Its considered 100% safe and is getting quite popular. I understand what you are saying, I have done it many times in the past, I have stayed clean for more than 3 years, last time was 1.5 years, but somehow it creeps back in, friends, colleagues, gatherings make you go the wrong way again. 99% of people who visits these discussions are considering quitting, however very few are capable of doing so, there is no harm in exploring options, especially since they are available.

Usually ignorance or misconceptions lead to rumours, in UK the NHS hands over e cigs to people who have health concerns after their inability to kick the butt. There is a huge lobby that is preventing innovation in this area, since max number of people just don't quit due to lack of options.

pramod
Old 8th July 2016, 11:11   #1372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I don't know, but i expect it works. Health risk? You are still inhaling stuff. You are still taking nicotine. You are still an addict.

If you are going to give up: give up! Cut the strings that bind you to the addictive drug nicotine. Giving up means giving up. Changing the consumption method is not giving up.
When a cigarette burns, around 5000 chemicals go into your body. Out of those only one is present in a ECig - the nicotine. And nicotine is not the harmful component of the cigarette. It's the addictive component of the cigarette.

It's good to say that one should give up everything. But practically, we know how many people are successful at quitting smoking - cold turkey or patches or gums.

Vaping is the first time people are quitting smoking successfully. I am one of those who has tried gums etc before but it didn't work. I am now vaping for 2 years (was given initial advice by TBHP member).

We don't know if Vaping is harmful yet. But what we know is that it's less harmful than smoking at the minimum.

http://www.theconstructionindex.co.u...support-vaping

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ement_2016.pdf

As an ex-smoker, I know that there has been nothing ever like vaping to help smokers quit.
carboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2016, 11:26   #1373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
As an ex-smoker, I know that there has been nothing ever like vaping to help smokers quit.
Now back to my question, where do you get your e juice from?

I too felt I was able to reduce my daily consumption from 10 to 2 yesterday, I didn't smoke a single one day before yesterday, my e juice ran out so I am back

Pramod
Old 8th July 2016, 12:14   #1374
BHPian

Quote:
You are still taking nicotine. You are still an addict.

I fully agree. Vaping is just an excuse to keep smoking. More often than not, you go back to smoking. Either quit or don't, there's nothing in between. I personally think that e-cigs and nicotine chews are just ways to exploit people trying to quit. How do I know? Tried them all. Just kept going back.

Key is to identify triggers and eliminate them. After struggling for 5 years, I decided to man up and quit. Been smoke free for about 80 days now and I have never felt better. No apps, no alternates, no gizmos; just some simple psychological tricks. Planning on typing up a detailed post soon.
GeneralJazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2016, 12:21   #1375
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I understand what you are saying, I have done it many times in the past, I have stayed clean for more than 3 years, last time was 1.5 years, but somehow it creeps back in, friends, colleagues, gatherings make you go the wrong way again.
Do you want to hear a hard truth? You are not ready to quit yet. It's ok- you don't need to feel bad about it. I suspect you are still doing it for wrong reasons- it's bad for health, it's disgusting to a loved one, it's socially unacceptable etc.- whereas the only acceptable reason to quit is "I choose not to smoke".

It will probably take you many attempts to get there but, going by my own and several other examples here and elsewhere, it will happen. And don't imagine it will be a cakewalk to stay clean either- it won't. It will require a commitment from your side and acceptance that this delicious sensation will never again be yours. But if you have chosen not to smoke, you will stay true to that choice. And that's what makes it all worthwhile!
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2016, 12:32   #1376
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post

I fully agree. Vaping is just an excuse to keep smoking. More often than not, you go back to smoking. Either quit or don't, there's nothing in between. I personally think that e-cigs and nicotine chews are just ways to exploit people trying to quit. How do I know? Tried them all. Just kept going back.

Key is to identify triggers and eliminate them. After struggling for 5 years, I decided to man up and quit. Been smoke free for about 80 days now and I have never felt better. No apps, no alternates, no gizmos; just some simple psychological tricks. Planning on typing up a detailed post soon.
Gums and patches never works, its just and excuse for the pharma companies to milk smokers who are trying to quit, however from my personal experience vaping helps, every single person who vapes feels healthy and after a while quits that as well. Whether it worked for someone or not is a personal thing, but it gives smokers the much needed smoke which subsides the urge to pick up a cig, its just the convenience of picking a cig than a vaping device/e juice is what makes people to continue smoking. I started 20 years ago, I have quit many times and the longest was more than 3 years but it used to come back, people who used to smoke at home and have kids now have a great motivation to stop but others find it very difficult.

Though I am an active smoker, I never smoke in my car/ in front of my folks, but I end up lighting one once I am alone and away from the people around me, I have planned some change in routine and some cardio from Monday, however I am very adamant on not going back to cigs, vaping helps to stay strong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Do you want to hear a hard truth? You are not ready to quit yet. It's ok- you don't need to feel bad about it. I suspect you are still doing it for wrong reasons- it's bad for health, it's disgusting to a loved one, it's socially unacceptable etc.- whereas the only acceptable reason to quit is "I choose not to smoke".

It will probably take you many attempts to get there but, going by my own and several other examples here and elsewhere, it will happen. And don't imagine it will be a cakewalk to stay clean either- it won't. It will require a commitment from your side and acceptance that this delicious sensation will never again be yours. But if you have chosen not to smoke, you will stay true to that choice. And that's what makes it all worthwhile!
Agreed, I too like all feel its a disgusting habit, plus seriously dangerous and reduced your lung capacity, but quitting cold turkey is easy said than done, many people go back in the first few days, the ones who stay stronger longer get a false sense of self control and think "what can a puff do, I have quit before?" things are not easy for 90 out of 100 smokers and the growing number of e sigs is testimony to the fact that people are seriously looking at alternatives.

Quote:
I order from US vendors - MountBakerVaper, VapeWild, VistaVapors etc. Also ordered once from Israeli vendor Yaeliq.

Indian vendors used to be bad - they were just rewraps of Hangsen, Dekang & other chinese ones - I never liked them. I understand there are now some Indian ejuice creators who are better - but have never tried them - go to the Indianvapers.com forum - there are reviews and also the vendors hang out there.

THBP member subratasenn was one who answered all my initial questions about vaping 2 years back.
Thanks a lot for the help, I am sure you have not just helped me but many who are reading this knowing that if they comment supporting this they will get cornered by people, I have done a lot of reading online before I came to the conclusion that I cannot just quit cold turkey, I am now committed, lets hope others feel the same way as well,

Pramod

Last edited by pramodkumar : 8th July 2016 at 12:42.
Old 8th July 2016, 12:34   #1377
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now back to my question, where do you get your e juice from?
I order from US vendors - MountBakerVaper, VapeWild, VistaVapors etc. Also ordered once from Israeli vendor Yaeliq.

Indian vendors used to be bad - they were just rewraps of Hangsen, Dekang & other chinese ones - I never liked them. I understand there are now some Indian ejuice creators who are better - but have never tried them - go to the Indianvapers.com forum - there are reviews and also the vendors hang out there.

THBP member subratasenn was the one who answered all my initial questions about vaping a little less than 3 years back - 2.5 years since I quit smoking now.

Last edited by carboy : 8th July 2016 at 12:37.
Old 8th July 2016, 12:51   #1378
BHPian

Quote:
Though I am an active smoker, I never smoke in my car/ in front of my folks, but I end up lighting one once I am alone and away from the people around me, I have planned some change in routine and some cardio from Monday, however I am very adamant on not going back to cigs, vaping helps to stay strong.

Pramod

I tried Zaap e-cigs for about 6 months before I went back to ol' Classic. The point is, the very fact that I had to take a few puffs was a reminder that I was still addicted to it. It didn't really give me the same 'feel' and I was still puffing away. That's when I decided to quit.

I did try cardio but that ended in disaster. I had to be carried home on more than one occasion.
Old 8th July 2016, 13:40   #1379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post

I tried Zaap e-cigs for about 6 months before I went back to ol' Classic.
You can never quit with stuff like Zaap e-cig. I also tried these catridge kind of ecigs. It's really too inconvenient. However, what it told me is to search for more convenient products. What you need is a mod & a clearomizer at the minimum - this can be ordered online from fasttech. And good juice - preferably from the USA.
Old 8th July 2016, 15:40   #1380
BHPian

Quote:
You can never quit with stuff like Zaap e-cig. I also tried these catridge kind of ecigs. It's really too inconvenient. However, what it told me is to search for more convenient products. What you need is a mod & a clearomizer at the minimum - this can be ordered online from fasttech. And good juice - preferably from the USA.

Hopefully I won't be needing it.