Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 14th April 2010, 11:36   #2071
BHPian

To each his own I guess but I agree with the guys saying that the old version (on History currently) is superior and closer to the image of Holmes is formed in my head by Arthur Conan Doyle.
Abhay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2010, 14:21   #2072
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
Sundays, on the 'The History Channel', I think at 1 PM...
What timing???? 1pm-2pm, have a powercut at home. Which reminds me, next investment is on an "inverter"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay View Post
To each his own I guess but I agree with the guys saying that the old version (on History currently) is superior and closer to the image of Holmes is formed in my head by Arthur Conan Doyle.
+1. Jeremy Brett portrayed the best SH ever. He is broody, moody and eccentric to the core perfectly. Whereas, in real life he was a sociable chap.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2010, 16:50   #2073
Team-BHP Support

Hows the movie " The Fourth Protocol" based on the book by Fredrick Forsythe?
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2010, 00:02   #2074
Senior - BHPian

Watched "Planet Terror" and "Disaster movie" yesterday, to say the least Bulls**t.
agspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2010, 02:12   #2075
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Hows the movie " The Fourth Protocol" based on the book by Fredrick Forsythe?
It is a good movie. I did watch this sometime back. Pierce Brosnan and Michael Caine have done good job. Novel, was one of the bestsellers.
JMaruru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2010, 12:59   #2076
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agspins View Post
Watched "Planet Terror" and "Disaster movie" yesterday, to say the least Bulls**t.
What! Planet Terror is one of the coolest zombie flicks ever!
Wolfheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2010, 23:22   #2077
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Could be, but somehow it wasnt amusing to me.
agspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2010, 01:31   #2078
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up

Watched "Being There". Starring Peter Sellers. A classic easy paced movie with that typical understated British Humor. Starts a bit slow but from then onwards its a treat. Highly recommended.
download2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2010, 06:52   #2079
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
Is it a sarcastic take on zombies? Like Zombieland Which i recently saw.

ZombieLand :

Its a movie where in a geek heads out of the zombie world feeling that he is the sole survivor, and meets up other people who have developed a irritation to zombie's. He has a checklist to survival in Zombies and is a sarcastic take on the zombieworld. Lots of gore and blood!!

Rating: Did not like it much but one time watch
3/5

The Orphanage : The sweetest Horror movie i ever saw; I wont reveal the climax but this is one horror/thriller flick which really amazed me. Similar to lines of Sixth sense(In the context of amazement), Wherein a lady brings her family back to a place where she lived earlier which was an orphanage,where her son starts talking to an invisible friend.

If you love fantasy movies, here is one director not to be missed :Guillermo del Toro

Rating : 5/5
Fraz33r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2010, 09:53   #2080
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Yesterday, I watched The Shawshank Redemption and earlier, Escape From Alcatraz. In both the movies, the central theme was woven around US prison with main male characters. Tim Robbins and Clint Eastwood respectively played the main roles. While the former was a fiction, the latter, a true story. The main plot reminded me of The Great Escape [1963 WW2 movie].

I am giving 5/5 rating for both these movies.
J.Ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2010, 23:09   #2081
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Yesterday, I watched The Shawshank Redemption and earlier, Escape From Alcatraz. In both the movies, the central theme was woven around US prison with main male characters. Tim Robbins and Clint Eastwood respectively played the main roles. While the former was a fiction, the latter, a true story. The main plot reminded me of The Great Escape [1963 WW2 movie].

I am giving 5/5 rating for both these movies.
Those two movies are simply superb ravi, no doubt they deserve 5/5. Its been a while since I watched them and looks like I have forgotten a few bits of both the movies so guess its time for me to dig out those dvds and watch them again .
prguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2010, 13:17   #2082
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prguru View Post
Those two movies are simply superb ravi, no doubt they deserve 5/5. Its been a while since I watched them and looks like I have forgotten a few bits of both the movies so guess its time for me to dig out those dvds and watch them again .
If you liked these movies, I would recommend that you guys watch Rescue Dawn. The main protagonist is a USAF pilot (played by Christian Bale) who is taken prisoner during the Vietnam war. The movie is about this man's constant struggle for freedom and the ultimate triumph of will and determination against staggering odds. I think it's also based on a true story.
Old 19th April 2010, 13:29   #2083
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraz33r View Post
Is it a sarcastic take on zombies? Like Zombieland Which i recently saw.

ZombieLand :

Lots of gore and blood!!

Rating: Did not like it much but one time watch
3/5

The Orphanage : .

If you love fantasy movies, here is one director not to be missed :Guillermo del Toro

Rating : 5/5
Zombieland hardly has any gore. If you want gore, I would recommnd the Grand daddy of all Zombie movies. Zombie (aka Zombi 2) by Lucio Fulci. It's made in the 80's but has some really eye popping (literally ) gory scenes.

If you're not a gore hound and want to watch a really great zombie flick which explores the scientific basis of voodoo and how people are turned into Zombies in Haiti (The epicenter of Voodoo) watch " The Serpent and the Rainbow". Brilliant horror/thriller/adventure movie starring Bill Pullman.

Speaking of Guillermo del Toro, I'm sure many of you guys have watched Pan's Labyrinth already. But try watching "Cronos" by del Toro, it's a really good mystery/fantasy/horror flick. I also loved HellBoy II directed by him.
Old 19th April 2010, 14:18   #2084
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Fracture-
yes i am an anthony hopkins fan but this is not why i had liked this movie.
The way every scene unfolds is really good.
And the climax is better than i expected.

Another good watch.

Rating- 4/5
+1 to that, Harry. I would rate it 4.75/5 - the only thing I didn't like was the cop committing suicide in the court. He is crooked enough to think of cooking up evidence, but not bright enough to deduce how the murder weapon could be missing..

And, if you don't mind, it is Sir Anthony Hopkins
vrprabhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2010, 17:59   #2085
Senior - BHPian

Bounty Hunter

Awesome movie. Great story, though predictable at times. The amazing chemistry of Gerard Butler and Jenni Aniston makes it entertaining, funny and cool. Loved it.

A must watch. 4.75/5.
chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote