Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2010, 01:21   #2566
Senior - BHPian
 
nitrous's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: UAE/Lon/Madras
Posts: 6,966
Thanked: 282 Times
Default

Expendables:
Poor script.
But, spectacular action. Very well choreographed.
I expected an awesome plot. I was disappointed.
Watch it once for the action and nothing else.
PS: Its an out-and-out men's movie. Do not take women along. They might not understand.
*Not being chauvinistic*
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2010, 02:35   #2567
Senior - BHPian
 
abhibh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Back in the HOOD near you!
Posts: 2,767
Thanked: 33 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Expendables:
Poor script.
But, spectacular action. Very well choreographed.
I expected an awesome plot. I was disappointed.
Watch it once for the action and nothing else.
PS: Its an out-and-out men's movie. Do not take women along. They might not understand.
*Not being chauvinistic*
Watch it only for action specially the last 20-30 mins were pretty much enjoyable.

I think the movie was called The Expendables due to the fact the whole plot age was in an expanded limit

3/5 for the enjoyable action. Overall the movie is nothing in the league of A-team.
abhibh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2010, 01:08   #2568
Senior - BHPian
 
harry10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Faridabad/Delhi
Posts: 2,226
Thanked: 578 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
Watch it only for action specially the last 20-30 mins were pretty much enjoyable.

I think the movie was called The Expendables due to the fact the whole plot age was in an expanded limit

3/5 for the enjoyable action. Overall the movie is nothing in the league of A-team.
+1.
But i liked expandables better than A team.
anyways the action was good in both.
harry10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2010, 14:36   #2569
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 605
Thanked: 187 Times
Default

Caught the re-run of 'Godfather' this weekend.
Amazing, how as you grow older, you decipher/understand even more of this excellent movie.
Most of us have our own scary parts in this movie. For some, its the dead horse's head in bed, etc.

For me, i found Al Pacino's silent rage and absolute ruthlessness ABSOLUTELY SCARY!!! The way he does away with his rivals and takes complete control of his feifdom, all the while solemnly accepting religion and God was powerful.

Kay's (Diane Keaton's) expression at the end of the movie, as the door gets shut on her face, says it all - the loss of her husband to his destiny. Something neither of them had expected nor wanted.

Fabulous, just fabulous!!!

While on that, i found an uncanny resemblance between the twists and turns in the lives of Michael (Al Pacino in Godfather) and Sethumadhavan (Mohanlal in Kireedam, a malayalam classic). Both had noble intentions and starry dreams as young men, only to get sucked in to the uncontrollable vortex of life and turn into the very demons they once hated.

Last edited by WindRide : 16th August 2010 at 14:37.
WindRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2010, 14:44   #2570
Senior - BHPian
 
addyhemmige's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore/Hassan
Posts: 1,549
Thanked: 465 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Caught the re-run of 'Godfather' this weekend.
Amazing, how as you grow older, you decipher/understand even more of this excellent movie.
Most of us have our own scary parts in this movie. For some, its the dead horse's head in bed, etc.

For me, i found Al Pacino's silent rage and absolute ruthlessness ABSOLUTELY SCARY!!! The way he does away with his rivals and takes complete control of his feifdom, all the while solemnly accepting religion and God was powerful.

Kay's (Diane Keaton's) expression at the end of the movie, as the door gets shut on her face, says it all - the loss of her husband to his destiny. Something neither of them had expected nor wanted.

Fabulous, just fabulous!!!

While on that, i found an uncanny resemblance between the twists and turns in the lives of Michael (Al Pacino in Godfather) and Sethumadhavan (Mohanlal in Kireedam, a malayalam classic). Both had noble intentions and starry dreams as young men, only to get sucked in to the uncontrollable vortex of life and turn into the very demons they once hated.
+1,

I can watch this movie any number of times and still would not get bored. It is just awesome.

You forgot to mention Marlon Brando. It was this guy who carried the whole movie on his shoulders. Al Pacino came into his own in the second movie.

To get the true essence of 'The Godfather', I'd suggest reading the book.
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2010, 18:38   #2571
BHPian
 
Wolfheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bombay
Posts: 160
Thanked: 22 Times
Default MARTYRS - Shock Horror

Watched the Canadian film Martyrs last night. This is a horror movie that shocks, terrifies and keeps you guessing in the end. However, the journey till the end of the film is extremely violent. This film is not for the faint of heart and should be watched only by hardcore horror fans.
Wolfheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2010, 18:56   #2572
BHPian
 
Newpunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 655
Thanked: 63 Times
Default

Watched "Furry Vengeance" over the weekend. Wow, that is an hour and half of my life that i will never get back. I felt my IQ decrease as i was watching the movie. It was not really funny either. Avoid at all costs.
Newpunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2010, 19:54   #2573
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,661
Thanked: 1,389 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Expendables:
Poor script.
But, spectacular action. Very well choreographed.
I expected an awesome plot. I was disappointed.
Watch it once for the action and nothing else.
PS: Its an out-and-out men's movie. Do not take women along. They might not understand.
*Not being chauvinistic*
ACTION; start to end. ACTION.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2010, 11:04   #2574
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,749
Thanked: 7,966 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
Watched the Canadian film Martyrs last night. This is a horror movie that shocks, terrifies and keeps you guessing in the end. However, the journey till the end of the film is extremely violent. This film is not for the faint of heart and should be watched only by hardcore horror fans.
Awesome. After a long time, i see praise for a horror movie. Will check it out. Thanks!

Saw a couple of movies over the last weekend

"Kung Fu Panda" starring the voice of Jack Black

Voice of Jack Black made a lot of difference to this movie. I simply love his style of saying " Awesome" which only JB can say.

Otherwise, the movie has good animations but, not as good as Madagascar 2.

Great timepass watch

3/5


"Old Dogs" Starring John Travolta and Robin Williams

Story of two partners of a sports marketing firm in middle of their biggest deal and saddled with babysitting Robin's kids from his divorced wife.

Good family type of movie with some chuckles here and there. But, overall John and Robin were not well suited for this movie.

Again, a decent time pass comedy flick

2.5/5

P.S: Next in line is " American Pyscho". Reviews please?
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2010, 12:34   #2575
Senior - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,954
Thanked: 1,591 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Caught the re-run of 'Godfather' this weekend.
Amazing, how as you grow older, you decipher/understand even more of this excellent movie.
Most of us have our own scary parts in this movie. For some, its the dead horse's head in bed, etc.

For me, i found Al Pacino's silent rage and absolute ruthlessness ABSOLUTELY SCARY!!! The way he does away with his rivals and takes complete control of his feifdom, all the while solemnly accepting religion and God was powerful.

Kay's (Diane Keaton's) expression at the end of the movie, as the door gets shut on her face, says it all - the loss of her husband to his destiny. Something neither of them had expected nor wanted.

Fabulous, just fabulous!!!

For me, the scary scene was Santino getting riddled with bullets.

The WOW scene was Michael telling Fredo never to take sides with anyone against the family.

But yeah, it was Marlon Brando who remains unforgettable in this movie. His expression when Tom tells him that it was Michael who killed Solozzo was a masterstroke of acting that only Brando was capable of pulling.

To this date, no actor can measure up to the acting talent that Brando had.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2010, 12:57   #2576
BHPian
 
donarun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: chennai
Posts: 345
Thanked: 17 Times
Default The Fall

Has anybody seen "The Fall", directed by indian director Tarsem Singh. Saw it over the weekend, I wouldnt call it an awesome movie but its definitely good . The movie was shot in beautiful locales of many countries including our very own India (Leh, Taj Mahal & Rajashthan). A kid plays the lead and boy o boy, what a natural performance . Kudos to the director to have brought out best of the kid.

PS - Visit imdb to know more abt interesting trivias associated with the movie.
donarun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2010, 15:12   #2577
BHPian
 
Newpunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 655
Thanked: 63 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by donarun View Post
Has anybody seen "The Fall", directed by indian director Tarsem Singh. Saw it over the weekend, I wouldnt call it an awesome movie but its definitely good . The movie was shot in beautiful locales of many countries including our very own India (Leh, Taj Mahal & Rajashthan). A kid plays the lead and boy o boy, what a natural performance . Kudos to the director to have brought out best of the kid.

PS - Visit imdb to know more abt interesting trivias associated with the movie.
Saw the movie around 2 years back. Have to say that movie had some of the most amazing cinematography i have ever seen. It is like poetry in motion. It is a treat for the eyes. The performances are also amazing and although most of it was shot in India, there are very few indian actors in the movie. Even the girl who plays the main lead is not Indian, although her character says she is an indian. Watching the locales and how beautifully they were filmed in this movie makes me wonder why our own movie makers are busy going to Switzerland or the US for simple song sequences too, when there are some amazing locales in India that haven't been explored yet.

Last edited by Newpunter : 17th August 2010 at 15:21.
Newpunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2010, 15:57   #2578
Senior - BHPian
 
esteem_lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Madras/Py
Posts: 7,554
Thanked: 445 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
To this date, no actor can measure up to the acting talent that Brando had.
Kamal Hassan ?
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2010, 23:21   #2579
Senior - BHPian
 
abhibh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Back in the HOOD near you!
Posts: 2,767
Thanked: 33 Times
Default

The Ghost Writer (2010)

Just amazing. Different than what i have been watching lately. The story is pretty deep. A must watch IMHO

4/5
abhibh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2010, 03:19   #2580
Senior - BHPian
 
harry10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Faridabad/Delhi
Posts: 2,226
Thanked: 578 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
The Ghost Writer (2010)

Just amazing. Different than what i have been watching lately. The story is pretty deep. A must watch IMHO

4/5
The movie itself is worth the watch for the twist in the end.
Agree with your rating
harry10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Television shows: What do you watch? (No Spoilers Please) greatDrive Shifting gears 1952 18th December 2017 13:18
The Hindi Movies Thread aah78 Shifting gears 3069 20th November 2017 11:55
The "Theatre" Thread (No spoilers please)! TheLizardKing Shifting gears 3 7th May 2015 19:50
English Plagiarization of Indian Movies SinghBHP Shifting gears 38 23rd November 2014 19:45


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:56.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks