Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2011, 15:45   #3886
Senior - BHPian
 
Urban_Nomad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,309
Thanked: 1,212 Times
Default re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Bigflix messed up big time. They sent me Walking Tall-3 ( Lone Justice) starring Kevin Sorbo
Oh no no no no no no no. Try getting it again. Its a very typical Dwyane movie where he is kicking people's butt with their own two legs .

Definitely worth a watch if you are a "Rock" fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Origins:wolverine is the worst

X2 is really nice,well done, and grippy,mostly due to kurt wagner(nightcrawler).
+1 mate. I was psyched when I first heard about the characters that would be featured on this flick (Origins), especially "Gambit". But he was shown to be a wimp. Hugh Jackman seems really fascinated by the "claws". If it were up to him, he would have shot the claws retracting and then coming out for the entire length of the film. Oh wait .... dint he almost do just that (with some ridiculous "poses" thrown in).

PS - will be watching "The Crow" tonight (the Brandon Lee starrer).
Urban_Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2011, 16:29   #3887
BHPian
 
NikhilB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bombay
Posts: 42
Thanked: 13 Times
Default re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Sorcerer's Apprentice

Caught the movie on Star Movies yesterday. Not a fan of the magic and stuff (I cannot watch the Harry Potter series) but liked the goofy role of the kid (Jay Baruchel).
Storyline in a nutshell: A goofy kid is the "chosen one" to save the world and is given "Sorcery for dummies" lessons by Nicholas Cage. Needless to say, he kid saves the world and Nicholas Cage, in the end.

Rating: 2/5 - Only because of the dialogues and decent comic timing of Jay Baruchel
NikhilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2011, 17:07   #3888
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,515
Thanked: 7,190 Times
Default re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
Have you heard of this '80's horror / thriller movie called "The Sentinel". It's based on a book by Jeffery Konvitz. Not a bad watch if you're a horrorhead like me!
Never even heard of this movie. Will check out if Bigflix stores it

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Origins:wolverine is the worst, production wise, i mean.
The characters are the best of the lot, especially deadpool/wade/ryan reynolds, but presentation was poor.

X2 is really nice,well done, and grippy,mostly due to kurt wagner(nightcrawler).
The opening sequence in the oval office HAD to be seen on the big screen.
overall, good to go for a bigtub and large coke!
Well, I differ in this opinion. Wolverings production values were much higher and had an overall slick feel to entire movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Oh no no no no no no no. Try getting it again. Its a very typical Dwyane movie where he is kicking people's butt with their own two legs. Definitely worth a watch if you are a "Rock" fan.
Will re-order it for sure.

Watched "X-2"

I agree the first scene of nightcrawler is made for large screen. It was breathtaking how he appears then disappears. Fabulous. But, on my HT, it wasnt too bad

There were a bunch of X-men characters with different powers to each with an equally interesting storyline with loads of action made this movie really exciting to watch.

Only thing that Famke Janssen looked quite haggard and Halle looked weird in that white hairdo

Awesome movie from the series for sure. Now, comparing this movie with the prequel which was recently released. How would that be?

4/5

P.S: Next in line is an unknown movie called " The Deal" released in 2006
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2011, 17:15   #3889
Senior - BHPian
 
mayankk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 4,044
Thanked: 3,175 Times
Default re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Never even heard of this movie. Will check out if Bigflix stores it



Well, I differ in this opinion. Wolverings production values were much higher and had an overall slick feel to entire movie



Will re-order it for sure.

Watched "X-2"

I agree the first scene of nightcrawler is made for large screen. It was breathtaking how he appears then disappears. Fabulous. But, on my HT, it wasnt too bad

There were a bunch of X-men characters with different powers to each with an equally interesting storyline with loads of action made this movie really exciting to watch.

Only thing that Famke Janssen looked quite haggard and Halle looked weird in that white hairdo

Awesome movie from the series for sure. Now, comparing this movie with the prequel which was recently released. How would that be?

4/5

P.S: Next in line is an unknown movie called " The Deal" released in 2006
do catch x3 too.
vinnie jones as juggernaut!!!

Unsurprisingly, his character is suppressed in the movie, as opposed to the comic.
but damn awesome!
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2011, 18:41   #3890
Senior - BHPian
 
blackasta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Kolkata, WB
Posts: 2,729
Thanked: 874 Times
Default re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Went to see 'Horrible Bosses' last night. A dark/adult comedy with jokes running on the racist / politically incorrect lines all too often - but being hilarious by doing the same. Some political manipulation at office reminded me of my bosses
Overall - a good R rated movie to refresh your Sunday evening.
4/5 from me.
blackasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2011, 23:27   #3891
Senior - BHPian
 
harry10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Faridabad/Delhi
Posts: 2,214
Thanked: 533 Times
Default re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Battle Los Angeles-
Battle Los Angeles (2011) - IMDb
Not as bad as the imdb rating suggests it is.
I found it a decent one time watch movie.

Rating- 3/5

Sneakers
Sneakers (1992) - IMDb
Very gripping and nice tight screenplay.
Its an old movie but quiet a good one.
Watch out for robert redfords acting!
Rating -4/5

The Lincoln Lawyer
The Lincoln Lawyer (2011) - IMDb
I have watched almost every movie with Matthew McConaughey in it as i find his acting skills quiet simple and subtle.
He doesnt disappoints in this one too!
Must watch for the twists and the scenes between him and Ryan Phillippe.
Rating- 4.5/5
harry10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2011, 23:29   #3892
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Technocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mid West
Posts: 14,861
Thanked: 2,398 Times
Default re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Watched Se7en

The movie is about a serial Killer who is following the seven deadly sins rule to punish & kill people. Morgan Freeman & Brad Pitt are police officers chasing the case. Gwyneth features in role which is more like a guest appearance.

Kevin Spacey as expected plays a fantastic role.

The movie builds up a good amount of suspense & while the end is interesting, there are a few moments in between which gives a kind of disconnect to the movie.

4/5

Sex & The City 2

The movie picks up on post marriage life of the four friends(3 married). The theme is primarily about the relationships of a married couple, couples with children & couples with a past. On the fashion side are their paid trip to Abu Dhabi & the adventures there.

This is mainly for those who have been following the series & the previous movie.

4/5
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2011, 02:09   #3893
Senior - BHPian
 
harry10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Faridabad/Delhi
Posts: 2,214
Thanked: 533 Times
Default re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Falling Down
Falling Down (1993) - IMDb
Brilliant movie in all aspects.
Classic acting and screenplay.
Truly shows how an ordinary man can lose himself due to stresses of life.

Rating -4.5/5
harry10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2011, 14:52   #3894
Senior - BHPian
 
harry10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Faridabad/Delhi
Posts: 2,214
Thanked: 533 Times
Default re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

A Time to Kill
A Time to Kill (1996) - IMDb
Must watch.
Every actor has acted his/her part perfectly in this movie and it shows the racism which was there in the 90"s and how hard it was for the people then.

Rating -4.5/5
harry10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2011, 15:05   #3895
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,515
Thanked: 7,190 Times
Default re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
A Time to Kill
+1. It's a brilliant movie and everyone acted superb.

John Grisham is one my favorite novelist and almost every novel is turned into a movie script. Absolutely fantastic writer and a king in court room dramas. If you havent read him, see how much more you will enjoy the book than the movie.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2011, 15:16   #3896
Senior - BHPian
 
Latheesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore/Kannur
Posts: 2,848
Thanked: 2,146 Times
Default re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
A Time to Kill
Must watch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
+1. It's a brilliant movie
+ 1 to that. Nice movie, the dialogue "NOW IMAGINE SHE IS WHITE" at the end of the storytelling was superb.
Latheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2011, 19:22   #3897
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,444
Thanked: 281 Times
Default re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
A Time to Kill
A Time to Kill (1996) - IMDb
Must watch.
Every actor has acted his/her part perfectly in this movie and it shows the racism which was there in the 90"s and how hard it was for the people then.

Rating -4.5/5
The book was written in 1989 & the story is set in 1984.
This isn't the institutionalized racism as seen in "Mississippi Burning" (which is set much earlier & based on some true events). If you see the sheriff(the most powerful copy in the city) in 'A Time to Kill', he is black. Hailey's lawyer is white & a lot of others who support Hailey are white. Keifer Sutherland is a Klansman & he calls up other Klansmen from all over the place to organize the rallies & stuff. The govt & police & others do not support the Klan but they cannot stop them from marching because they aren't doing anything illegal. Even Looney (the cop) who accidentally gets shot by Hailey is white & he doesn't harbor ill-feelings against Hailey though he lost his leg.

Basically, what I was commenting on was your line 'how hard it was for the people then'.

Back to the movie - I liked it, but because I had read the book a dozen times before I watched the movie, I cannot think of the movie as anything but an exact & decent filming of the book.
carboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2011, 22:06   #3898
Senior - BHPian
 
harry10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Faridabad/Delhi
Posts: 2,214
Thanked: 533 Times
Default re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
+1. It's a brilliant movie and everyone acted superb.

John Grisham is one my favorite novelist and almost every novel is turned into a movie script. Absolutely fantastic writer and a king in court room dramas. If you havent read him, see how much more you will enjoy the book than the movie.
I am a big John grisham fan and have read almost all his books

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
The book was written in 1989 & the story is set in 1984.
This isn't the institutionalized racism as seen in "Mississippi Burning" (which is set much earlier & based on some true events). If you see the sheriff(the most powerful copy in the city) in 'A Time to Kill', he is black. Hailey's lawyer is white & a lot of others who support Hailey are white. Keifer Sutherland is a Klansman & he calls up other Klansmen from all over the place to organize the rallies & stuff. The govt & police & others do not support the Klan but they cannot stop them from marching because they aren't doing anything illegal. Even Looney (the cop) who accidentally gets shot by Hailey is white & he doesn't harbor ill-feelings against Hailey though he lost his leg.

Basically, what I was commenting on was your line 'how hard it was for the people then'.

Back to the movie - I liked it, but because I had read the book a dozen times before I watched the movie, I cannot think of the movie as anything but an exact & decent filming of the book.
I think we cant compare racism of this movie to "Mississippi Burning" as racism is such a sensitive subject that it cant be compared.
I said how hard it was for people then cos i was comparing the situation to the present day.
Anyways rather than going off topic both the movies are quiet a watch!

Cassandra's Dream
Cassandra's Dream (2007) - IMDb

I have always liked brit accent more rather than the american one. Thats why maybe i like movies such as 'lock stock and two smoking barrels'.
This one is not anywhere near that one however its a good timepass.
Colin Farrell has always been an underrated actor but i like his work.

Rating -3/5
harry10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2011, 22:46   #3899
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: zxc
Posts: 3,392
Thanked: 654 Times
Default re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
The Lincoln Lawyer
The Lincoln Lawyer (2011) - IMDb
I have watched almost every movie with Matthew McConaughey in it as i find his acting skills quiet simple and subtle.
He doesnt disappoints in this one too!
Must watch for the twists and the scenes between him and Ryan Phillippe.
Rating- 4.5/5
Its a very good movie. Matthew McConaughey is a brilliant actor. But i hate the other guy. His acting is so bad in all his movie.

Watched Too big to Fail. Its a HBO release about 2008 recession. A so-so movie.

Next in line is " The Greatest Movie Ever Sold" by Morgan Spurlock of "Where in the world is Osama Bin Laden" fame
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2011, 03:28   #3900
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,444
Thanked: 281 Times
Default re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post

I think we cant compare racism of this movie to "Mississippi Burning" as racism is such a sensitive subject that it cant be compared.
Hmm - not sure why sensitive subjects cannot be compared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post

I said how hard it was for people then cos i was comparing the situation to the present day.
And I am saying there isn't a huge diff between present day & the movie time frame. The big changes in racism happened much before the setting of the movie. Of course, it decreases with time but the big changes happened before the time frame of the movie.
carboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Television shows: What do you watch? (No Spoilers Please) greatDrive Shifting gears 1850 18th August 2017 12:09
The Hindi Movies Thread aah78 Shifting gears 3042 2nd August 2017 12:47
The "Theatre" Thread (No spoilers please)! TheLizardKing Shifting gears 3 7th May 2015 19:50
English Plagiarization of Indian Movies SinghBHP Shifting gears 38 23rd November 2014 19:45


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:31.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks