Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 18th May 2015, 20:32   #6106
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Watched following movies

Avengers - Age of Ultron

Movie on expected lines, however they seem to have stuffed in too much movie in one movie, a lot of assumptions have been taken on viewers part. So far all movies had a nice built up & then action, this one assumes that you know everything & believe what is shown.

3.5/5

Whiplash
Nice short movie, brilliant performances, no wonder J.K. Simmons got an academy award for his performance. Nothing much fancy just pure performance by the lead cast. A must watch.

4/5

Boyhood

Nice movie about a boy growing up in what is (perceived?) as a typical American family upbrigning. THe movie is too long & has nothing special other that a few good scenes, having said that there are not many dull moments. The only reason I believe it got famous is due to the fact that they used same actors for a period of 12 years.

3/5

Last edited by Technocrat : 18th May 2015 at 21:00.
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2015, 23:45   #6107
BHPian

Default MAD MAX Fury Road

Watched Mad Max Fury road and man what an entertainer, it's got crazy stunts and even crazier characters.Loved Hoult he nails it as Nux, the Kamikaze war boy.

It is a definite recommendation , watch it. 4/5
motorpsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2015, 11:13   #6108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Mad Max: Fury Road
Boy o boy what a movie! No other movie has given me such an adrenaline rush as this one.....
Couldn't agree more. The action is just awesome!! I am sure you will find yourself holding your breath during a those chase and crash scenes.

I watched it on working day; the movie hall was less than half filled. After every chase, crash a couple of seconds silence follows, and when Max recovers... I could hear people breath out heavily. Sigh of relief. I too was doing just that.

Very entertaining movie. 4/5.
Spinnerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2015, 15:30   #6109
BHPian

Talking Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Mad Max: Fury Road.
Do judge this movie by its name! MAD and Furious indeed! Pure adrenaline.

The thing which I loved the most was (apart from amazing mods) the religious projection of driving and engines. Man, i am just trying hard to hold myself back from discussing scenes here.

Real cars, awesome cinematography, amazing 3D. Must watch for gearheads!
Senna4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2015, 17:09   #6110
BHPian

Avengers: Age of Ultron - Had watched this in the first week of release itself, did not think that it needed a post, but heck.. here I go:

So, if you like action, and action and more action, this is it. Complete mindless sequences. Ultron is utterly wasted, James Spader's voice the only saving grace. The movie has some light moments which I found was a bit of a relief, otherwise, complete and utter nonsense for me. Rating 2/5 only for James Spader and some nice 3D.

I was in complete shock as how in the world could this be so bad - and I am a fan of this genre. Utterly Disappointed.

Last edited by pratyush6 : 19th May 2015 at 17:11.
pratyush6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2015, 19:16   #6111
Senior - BHPian

Mad Max : Fury Road
Rating : 3.5 / 5

Watch it if you are a junkie for post-apocalyptic-world stories (like Waterworld). The direction and setups are to die for. Theron does a fantastic act however it's Nicholas Hoult's Nux character that steals the show. Tom Hardy does a Bale type role - mostly silent and a secondary act.

Ex Machina
Rating: 3/5

This is a really nice concept on AI - frankly, there is not much of an AI actually described here; one (has to) assumes that the actor(s) have reached that state where AI levels have reached the extreme mature levels. However the story pace is fast and keeps you hooked completely; and one does not leave the movie till the end! (and the end is worth it!!)

Nightcrawler
Rating : 4.5 / 5

This is a grossly underated movie - possibly one of the best movies of 2014. Watch it just for Jake Gyllenhaal's bone-chilling roleplay of an instant-news-hound cameraman and just how ruthless one can/needs to be in this business. He's so perfect in this role that you just can't forget this character display of his even when you see him play a chocolate-boy role in another movie (Accidental Love - 2015).

Chappie
Rating: 3/5

Good storyline, nice act by Dev Patel; Hugh Jackman not at all utilized in this movie. The core character is the robot which does a fantastic job actually!

Focus
Rating: 2.5/5

I expected a lot more from this movie; especially from Will Smith and the gorgeous Margot Robbie. Even though they do a stellar act and the chemistry between these two is excellent, the storyline lets you down and gives you a kinda meh feeling at the end of the movie. Watch it for the lead pair if nothing else.

Kingsman : The Secret Service
Rating: 2/5

Pop-corn action movie, watch it for the english accents and typical british humor if nothing else.
ninjatalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2015, 16:52   #6112
Distinguished - BHPian

The Theory of Everything.

What a performance by Eddie Redmayne. One of the best performances you will ever see on screen.
And quite inspirational as a movie; based on the personal life of Stephen Hawking.

Don't miss it guys. Rated 4.5/5
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2015, 17:35   #6113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Kingsman : The Secret Service
Rating: 2/5

Pop-corn action movie, watch it for the english accents and typical british humor if nothing else.
It has an 8 rating on imdb if I'm not wrong. I had really high hopes from this movie and honestly, I was grossly disappointed.

I wasted 2+ hours waiting for the build up but nothing really happened. No humour no action no nothing! The movie had some of the finest actors (barring few idiots) but the screenplay/story made them all mediocre!

I remember watching the very first scene where that guy was held hostage and softly elbowed my wife like, "You see, these are the kind of movies that bollywood should be making".

Towards the end of the movie I felt an elbow in my kidney (not so soft) and my wife asking me if I really stood by what I said earlier.
fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2015, 17:41   #6114

Chappie
3/5

With so many AI movies coming out, this one unexpectedly (for me) toed the line. Expected something new but ended up feeling like I'd seen this story before (eg: I,robot).

Spare parts
3/5

A true story. Really innovative design and use of everyday items. But the full credit goes to the guys who actually built it. The movie though does justice to the real life events. The teacher's character lacked the required screen presence and punch.
Akshay S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2015, 17:45   #6115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
It has an 8 rating on imdb if I'm not wrong. I had really high hopes from this movie and honestly, I was grossly disappointed.
Precisely what happened with me too! Had high expectation and the movie turned out to be one huge disappointment!
man_of_steel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2015, 23:39   #6116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I haved stopped relying on IMDB rating (except when the rating is very low - that works!), however I find the concise summary-reviews on rotten tomatoes a better indication of the quality of the movie. Do note the % on the site can be misleading; for e.g. this movie has a ~75% rating, however most of the reviews actually show the true picture of the movie.

On a similar note, the reviews on tbhp too can't always be trusted especially in the case of Bollywood reviews.
ninjatalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2015, 11:07   #6117
Distinguished - BHPian

The Judge.

More of a father-son relationship movie. Very good performances by Robert Downey Jr. (As always he is) and Robert Duvall. Not an out of the world movie in my opinion, but definitely a good watch.

My rating is 3.5/5
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2015, 14:08   #6118
Senior - BHPian

American Sniper - 6/10

Watched it in a BA flight recently. Well, err hmm. Hmm. Clint Eastwood? I was disappointed. For me, it was just another American movie. About war. From their POV. Bleh.
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2015, 18:01   #6119
BHPian

SURVIVOR with Milla Jovovich, Pierce Brosnan is a fast, action packed movie about a US visa officer who is framed and on the run.
Add it to your must watch list.

Last edited by techiecal : 3rd June 2015 at 18:02.
techiecal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2015, 22:47   #6120
Senior - BHPian

Project Almanac

Loved the movie! If time travel related movies excite you then this teen time travel movie is worth your time.

Time Lapse

Another time travel (sort of) movie but with a different concept. Must be one of the cheapest movie made in 2015 with no mainstream actor but the concept made it interesting enough. Loved this one as well!

Los Cronocrimenes (Timecrimes)

Another time travel related movie, loved this one as well. Its a spanish movie but has got a really wicked plot!

I watch a lot of movies, the average comes to about 3-4 movies a week but I find it hard to rate movies. Its not even fair I think. But I loved all the above movies and would recommend them to anyone.
fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote