Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 30th June 2017, 00:44   #6781
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghav_K View Post
Last week, i went for blind date at Sathyam cinemas, Chennai. The movie turned out to be the movie about the life of rapper 2pac, "All eyez on me".

It wasn't a movie, I would've chosen to watch on my own. But it turned out to be an interesting watch. A look into the glamourous life of the rap stars, and how little they end up having money wise or relation wise, when it looks like they have it all.
Need to check this out after watching the movie on NWA last year. Tupac was at his peak when he was shot and that death is still a mystery. His group rolled his ashes and smoked it too.

One friend here had a band which toured the country and when asked why he stopped doing it his only sentence was the lawyers and the agents mess up anything which is fun in the lifestyle or profession.

Maddy
maddy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2017, 14:21   #6782
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Patriot's Day - True story, excellent performances. On the Boston bombing and how they found the rascals.

Must-watch movie (available on Google & Apple TV). Easily a 4/5 star rating.

GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2017, 22:49   #6783
BHPian

Baby Driver - Watched this movie today and really enjoyed it. Great performances from everyone. Check out the trailer.

JonSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2017, 10:33   #6784
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnow View Post
Baby Driver - Watched this movie today and really enjoyed it. Great performances from everyone. Check out the trailer.
Checked this out yesterday. I really liked the opening sequence, it was awesome. I was absolutely expecting a couple more edge of the seat car chase sequences, which unfortunately it did not deliver. The movie was not bad but the way they set up the central character it seemed like an out n out action movie, again which it is not.

Plus the way they juxtaposed songs at key moments during an action sequence was really fun. And not to forget - Was he slow?

OK for one time watch more due to the stellar cast. But don't go in expecting a lot of action.
lordvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2017, 17:39   #6785
BHPian

Spider-Man: Homecoming (4/5)
Watched this today at INOX IMAX at Mantri Square.
A very nice new spin to the Spider-Man episodes.
Tom Holland does a great job of being Peter Parker/Spiderman.
Well worth the watch.
yajaman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2017, 18:03   #6786
BHPian

Spider man was an ok movie for me. Maybe i had too high an expectation level. 3/5.

Tom Holland as Spidey/Peter was great though.
deathwalkr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2017, 09:59   #6787
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Want to lazily tuck in on a rainy Sunday and watch a brilliant movie? Lord of War. Rating 5 / 5 stars. Excellent flick on illegal arms dealing; Nicolas Cage is brilliant (as good as he was in 'Gone in 60 seconds').

GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2017, 10:42   #6788
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Want to lazily tuck in on a rainy Sunday and watch a brilliant movie? Lord of War. Rating 5 / 5 stars. Excellent flick on illegal arms dealing; Nicolas Cage is brilliant (as good as he was in 'Gone in 60 seconds').

[]
This is Cage's masterpiece. It's been a repeat watch ever since it came out. Concur with the 5/5!
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2017, 16:22   #6789
BHPian

Smile Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Glad to see a movie suggestion database inside team BHP. Certailny my to-watch list got longer. Have couple of interesting movies to share with you all as well.

Hacksaw Ridge(2016) : True story of WWII American Army Medic Desmond T. Doss. He refuses to hold a gun, kill people, and becomes the first man in American history to receive the Medal of Honor without firing a shot.

The Founder(2016) : The story of Ray Kroc, a salesman who turned two brothers' innovative fast food eatery, McDonald's, into one of the biggest restaurant.

Suryendu87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2017, 00:24   #6790
Senior - BHPian

Dunkirk - 3.5/5

Its Nolan's take on war movies. Its not about victory, its not about the battle, its about individual struggles to survive. Its nothing like any other war movie that I can think of. The English Patient comes close but then its dominated by a few central characters but Dunkirk is about many lives. IMHO Cillian murphy, Tom Hardy are not utilized at all and could probably have been replaced by just about anyone.

One the whole its worth a watch for those few moments that really resonate and for the brilliant cinematography.
procrj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2017, 10:06   #6791
BHPian

The Next 3 Days:
Very intense movie which hits you in the feels.

Black Death:
Nice movie but gloomy and a bit depressing.

The Replacements:
Good popcorn flick. Cliched yet in a good way
deathwalkr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2017, 13:10   #6792
Senior - BHPian

Spiderman homecoming is strictly OK. Too much ironman influence.

Also, I watched it at 3D PVR at defunct inorbit mall, and it was worst 3d I have ever seen. From the glasses, it was looking as if I was watching a pirated movie. The movie is shot in dark, so additional 3d makes it too dark. Would advice to stick with 2d version if inclined to see.
ani_meher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2017, 22:39   #6793
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Saw Dunkirk last night. Felt it was an average movie. All the fab reviews are misleading. Felt more emphasis was given on cinematography & background score.
PPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2017, 00:09   #6794
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Saw Dunkirk last night. Felt it was an average movie. All the fab reviews are misleading. Felt more emphasis was given on cinematography & background score.
Well, good cinematography is a key ingredient in any memorable movie. Think Apocalypse Now, The Killing Fields, Saving Private Ryan and many more in similar genres.
hothatchaway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2017, 21:37   #6795
Senior - BHPian

When was the last time you saw a historic sort of movie about wars and kings but editing like that of Snatch or Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrels.

I got really excited when I saw Guy Ritchie's name as director in the starting credits and my oh my, what a movie this was, highly recommended!

King Arthur - Legend of the Sword

Wakefield

A movie which you may look boring in the trailer but this "boring" movie was faster paced than the last Fast n Furious movie and kept me glued, highly recommended!

fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote