Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 15th November 2012, 16:42   #2146
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The Hindi Movies Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus_M View Post
As always, Shahrukh carries the film. He's hid his age well!

Interesting that you would say that - kinda opposes what this review states I might actually agree with the author of the below post without giving the movie a look - not really a bigtime SRK/Yash Chopra fan.

Quote:
Movie Review: Logic is the biggest casualty in Jab Tak Hai Jaan

Jab Tak Hai Jaan makes life look easy. So easy that a self proclaimed 25-year-old, who looks 40, gets to kiss a girl who seems to have walked out of Vogue. You also believe that the latter, despite all her Mercedes and Gucci glory, can’t keep her hands off a waiter who has an annoying habit of speaking like he is perpetually in an art of living class.

Life’s so easy, that an aspiring documentary-maker, can walk straight into an army camp in Ladakh in barely visible hot pants and prance around shooting, presumably stuff, while there are people detonating bombs all around her. Also, if you have legs like Anushka Sharma’s, you belong to a curiously privileged class who can dance around in beach volleyball attire while goats, men and children around shiver through layers of winter clothes.

A still from Jab Tak Hai Jaan. Image courtesy: Yash Raj films.
You can also go from being freeloading floozies to Michelin-starred restaurant owners in no time, you can lose and get your memory back pretty much the same way you get back an iPod forgotten in the shorts pocket, and you can jump from age 25 to age 35 without half a cell on your face withering.

Logic is the biggest casualty of Jab Tak Hai Jaan. You could say, of course it is, in any Yash Chopra film, but there was always a story. In JTHJ though, what you get is a bit of Veer Zaara, only re-packaged with taller women with hotter legs.

Shah Rukh Khan here is Samar Anand. The film opens to tell you he is the Michael Phelps of bomb disposal in the Indian Army. We, predictably, are in Ladakh where SRK whooshes in, in all his week-old stubble and aviator glory to defuse a really dangerous bomb. With the kind of intensity one shows while restarting a PC, he picks on this wire and that, and whoops the bomb’s arse – or so says the thundering background music.

Cut to Anushka Sharma – she with her washboard abs, endless legs and holding a perfect cover-girl pose in a bikini in Ladakh – who is an aspiring documentary filmmaker assisting a Discovery Channel crew. She is also called Akira Rai. (Cue to gush, ’How quirky!’.)

So sidekick heroine stumbles upon hero’s diary, where he has written down his 10-year-old love story, presumably with the lyrics of the songs he had sung with his girl and details of all the places they had made-out. Filmmaker Rai then bamboozles her way into the high-security Army camp to shoot a documentary on Mr Kick-*** bomb disposer, does cool military-ish stuff while managing to sport a perfect blow dry hairdo and also falls in love with hurt-in-love hero. Oh by the way, hero’s ex-girlfriend, Meera – Katrina Kaif with an absolutely drool-worthy wardrobe – had left him ten years back. When Anand had an accident, Meera made a promise to Sir Jesus (cute god-next-door names for Jesus Christ), that she would dump her boyfriend if God makes sure that he lives. Hero lives. She dumps him, because she has promised God she will.

Hang on, yes, you’re reading this right.

You don’t question how a documentary titled ‘A Man Who Cannot Die’ has people gushing about it in London. It’s important for the story to move on you realise. So, cynical Discovery people have to make sure that Akira was not shooting a Bollywood extra and demand bomb-stud Major turn up in London. He does, is knocked down again and lands up in a hospital again. This time, however, he doesn’t lose a girl. He loses ten-year’s worth memory.

And a lot of drama, sad song singing and cheesy dialogue throwing ensues. Unfortunately, this goes on till the film ends. And by the time it does, entry rules in Army camps in India have been successfully established as being as stringent as those in coffee shops, so the climax doesn’t take you by surprise.

It’s probably rude to bad-mouth the dead. But even the highest amount of respect for Yash Chopra cliches can’t make Jab Tak Hai Jaan less of a burden on its viewer. If Shah Rukh Khan lip synching to a Rabbi song every now and then is not annoying enough, Chopra seemed to have completely lost the plot with the dialogues this time. The only times you’re reminded you’re watching a 2012 film and not some Rajesh Khanna-ish flick of the seventies is when Anushka Sharma talks like an average 21-year-old.

Unlike in a Dil To Pagal Hai from fourteen years back, you can no more sell Shah Rukh Khan as a traffic stopping dancer. Jumping around while juggling a fedora cannot be passed off as hot anymore. A Katrina Kaif in grunge glory and her new-found post-Sheila dancing oomph, for company, doesn’t help Shah Rukh Khan’s case either. And no amount of bronzer can make him look 25, which you are told he is for one whole half of the film.

You have seen everything Jab Tak Hai Jaan has many times before, just in other films. And probably with far better music than AR Rahman threw into this one.
ninjatalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2012, 16:56   #2147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli

Interesting that you would say that - kinda opposes what this review states I might actually agree with the author of the below post without giving the movie a look - not really a bigtime SRK/Yash Chopra fan.

Since I was expecting a typical Yash Chopra movie, I wasnt disappointed. I still stand by my words. Bollywood has fed us so many illogical stories in the past years especially with the so called 'masala' movies, anything else with a slightly better story & a starcast feels like a good one.

We all must know that SRK is 47, so he's kinda ok with those looks in the movie ;-).

The movie is good for a family watch as it isn't vulgar.

I also agree with that review saying the storyline is devoid of logic. But in Bollywood, movies rarely work on logic!!

P.S: I'm a bigtime SRK fan :-D
Rufus_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2012, 17:29   #2148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
....and I completely agree with the reviewer after watching the film. Let me tell you, these were the exact things I was thinking about when I was watching the movie and when I came out. The reviewer has left out one very hilarious scene. I would love to post it here, but, I guess it would be a spoiler. This is the scene when SRK gets his memory back completely. People who have watched the movie will know what I'm talking about (okay, one more clue: This happens in the London train/tube station). Man, those were the longest 3 hours I've ever sat in a movie theater. The only thing I found good in the film was the beautiful locations where they have shot.
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2012, 17:43   #2149
BHPian

Jab Tak Hai Jaan: The movie was average. The first half was the sort of romantic movies SRK or Salman did a decade or two ago. I was sort of expecting a revival of such genre of movies with a modern twist but then the second half just falls apart. SRK has acted well. A memorable scene I enjoyed was the music in the underground discotheque and subsequent Katrina's dance, SRK's moves just fade before her. I continually lost interest in exponential order towards the end of the movie. Nothing new in second half, it was all about how are we going to end this movie? And nothing interesting there at all.

Last edited by Blue_V : 15th November 2012 at 17:48.
Blue_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2012, 00:09   #2150
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Student of the year parody

maddy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 12:54   #2151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Interesting that you would say that - kinda opposes what this I might actually agree with the author of the below post without giving the movie a look - not really a bigtime SRK/Yash Chopra fan.
Completely Agree with this review and the way of describing is hilarious. Longest 3 hours I have spent in a theater. Felt atleast 3 times that this is the end of the movie but the movie just carried on.
GearOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 13:13   #2152
Team-BHP Support

Some of the reviews of JTHJ is scaring the hell out of me and I am overdue already to see this movie.

Despite my tactical strategies to avoid watching this movie, the pressure is mounting day by day and I may succumb to it in next couple of days

Btw, I dont see too many SOS reviews. And, finally it would be great to see a JTHJ vs. SOS review by someone who has seen both and can do a comparison of which is worth watching more

I am quite sure none of these movies have broken any records in terms of revenue generation. Or, Am I wrong in my assumption?
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 14:16   #2153
Senior - BHPian

^If you watch SOS and then watch JTHJ, the latter suddenly seems Oscar worthy. No kidding!

Agreed, JTHJ isnt going to win a ticket to Oscars on its storyline, but then rarely (or barely) does a YRF movie go there. Yash Chopra movies are all about romance, locations and oomph. This movie is the same. Logic and Hindi movies rarely go hand in hand. We still pretty much like movies that are larger than life.

BTW, the only reason I watched JTHJ can be summised in one word. Rather, one name. Anushka Sharma. She has the most amazing body in the current crop. This movie makes sure she shows ample amount of it. In a not so vulgar manner at that!

Last edited by Swanand Inamdar : 19th November 2012 at 14:26.
Swanand Inamdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 14:23   #2154
Distinguished - BHPian

both are supposed to cross 200 cr as per HT
http://www.dailypioneer.com/componen...-than-sos.html
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 14:33   #2155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post

BTW, the only reason I watched JTHJ can be summised in one word. Rather, one name. Anushka Sharma. She has the most amazing body in the current crop. This movie makes sure she shows ample amount of it. In a not so vulgar manner at that!
Damn! I knew I should have looked around for like-minded people for watching this movie! Still to watch this movie for the same reason as stated above.
ninjatalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 16:11   #2156
BHPian

Saw SOS yesterday. I never thought Ajay Devgan can look and act like a Sardar but he has done a decent job. Some jokes and one liners are pretty good. Few scenes of Mukul Dev are hilarious. First half is decent but the second half is a stretch. Juhi Chawla has a very small role and is wasted in this movie. I feel there are too many people in the story where there is too less to show. But yes, this is a larger than life bollywood movie. Even Rajini Sir will look forward to do some of the stunts by Ajay D.

This is definitely a one time watch if you have nothing to do. Just do not try to find out a logic in every scene. Keep your brains at home and you will enjoy it for some time.

My rating 2.5/5
sam_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 16:45   #2157
BHPian

Yesterday seen SON OF SARDAR. Could not bear this movie after interval. Straight after interval i crushed the CD under my tyre of my car .

Such a stupid movie, full of overacting. No story line, nothing what so ever. Don't know in what frame of mind i wasted my money on buying SOS CD
amitpunjani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 22:19   #2158
Senior - BHPian

Son of Sardar

Watched this before i was JTHJ. Here is a summary of the movie

- Leave your brains at Home
- Walk out when songs come on screen. Horrible melody, cringe worthy cinematography and choreography
- Acting is good by AD, SD and the two brothers. Many time over the top but sometimes it was demanded by the screenplay.
- Sonakshi is a misfit with AD. No passion between the two. Again, her acting is weird, sometimes no expression, sometimes over the top.
- The story could have been a lot better. Non-existent plot is pain to watch. No good dialogues to carry outside when movie ends.
- It was suppose to be a comedy movie. Very few jokes and some fall flat on face
- Juhi Chawla was graceful and put in some entertainment. Her role is short but makes her presence felt.
- Salman khan has an appearance. Mostly to hold mass appeal.

Overall, not the best movie to watch on the diwali. There are better options out there. Think JTHJ and Skyfall.

2/5

Jab Tak Hai Jaan (JTHJ)

If you watch this movie from start and you are not immersed into the world of YC's romantic saga, chances are you won't like the movie.

The poems are great and the movie starts off with bang. Somehow in between it slows down and picks up pace again.

Summary of good and bad about the movie below

- Larger than life characters
- Awesome location. Breathtakingly beautiful - Leh and Ladakh.
- Featuring drool worthy cars and bikes like Phantom, Veyron, S-Class, Royal Enfield.
- The two stunningly beautiful ladies - Katrina and Anushka.
- This movie would have been disaster without KK and AS. While Katrina is graceful, Anuskha lends that happy vibe the moment she comes on screen. Both look beautiful and acted really well. Katrina's pole dance in metro train was awesome.
- Anupam Kher, Rishi Kapoor and Neetu kapoor lend adequate support.
- SRK, well this guy is always good in YRF movies and he doesn't disappoint here. But at many places i felt he was a misfit. Like the street club where he dances. Not at all graceful or talented.
- His chemistry with KK and AS is somehow lacking. I didn't see too much passion. Somehow i find it very very difficult to see him romance heroines half her age. he is getting very old now and it shows on his face.
- Again the voice in songs don't match SRK's personality. The songs itself are very good. 3 songs - Challa, Saans and title song at the end
- Yash Chopra at the end of the film is the best thing. I felt like applauding the master of romance. We will surely miss him
- DOP is fantastic. ARR did well with BG score.
- Good innovation shown of how terrorist innovates bomb placement.

Overall, it is a one time watch and better than SOS. Those who love romantic movies will swear by this one. The story is very typical of Yash Chopra. Flashbacks and present are merged eventually and love is in the air. The only thing is find weird is the accidents. Why can't people be aware of surroundings and watch when crossing a road. It would save 3 hours a movie takes to tell a story.

3.75/5

Last edited by chevelle : 19th November 2012 at 22:22.
chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2012, 08:40   #2159
MCR
BHPian

Watched Jab Tak Hain Jan. No comments on how the movie was! Personally I did not like it one bit.

My rating - 1.5/5

Last edited by MCR : 20th November 2012 at 08:41.
MCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2012, 15:09   #2160
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
both are supposed to cross 200 cr as per HT
http://www.dailypioneer.com/componen...-than-sos.html
Darn! so the marketing man's marketing gimmicks is paying off. I really find it hard to understand the craze for SRK (especially among women) considering he is just an ordinary looking fellow with extraordinary skills of overacting.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote