Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 9th February 2013, 01:43   #2251
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The Hindi Movies Thread

Special 26:

Glad i took my parents to watch this. Its a relief after endless releases of mindless movies to watch a sensible one. Excellent direction and brilliant acting by entire cast. Akshay and Anupam are the lead but for me standout guy was Manoj. Its fast paced with few humor moments here and there. Do watch it.

Rating- 4.5/5 (took half point for Kajal as she was a mismatch and entirely unnecessary addition in the movie)
harry10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2013, 09:52   #2252
BHPian

Special 26

Very mixed feelings towards this movie. One look at the trailer is good enough to make you go for this movie. This movie is based on real life incidents which happened back in the 80’s. The movie is directed by Neeraj Pandey – the same guy who directed “A Wednesday”. First half was very slow and predictable – in fact the story did not move much in the 1st half. The love story between Akshay Kumar and Kajal Agarwal was absolutely boring and seemed out of place in the movie. Same goes for songs – they seem terribly out of place in the movie.

After the interval is when the movie picks up pace – Bajpai’s role also gets better so does the story. The second half of the movie is what makes it worth watching. I would not say the movie is absolutely mind-blowing. But it is definitely worth watching once.
Saanil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2013, 22:32   #2253
Distinguished - BHPian

Any reviews on abcd?
drmohitg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2013, 16:38   #2254
Senior - BHPian

Arrey Bhai Chhor Do

translation :

O brother leave it

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Any reviews on abcd?
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2013, 02:20   #2255
BHPian

Special 26
*Akshay, Anupam Kher, Manoj Bajpai

Brilliant, Brilliant movie. Very rarely comes a movie that keeps the viewer's attention intact till the very end. Guys, this is a must watch movie.

The major credit should go to the director. The way he picturized the Indian cities of the 1980's like the roads, officials travelling only in white ambassadors etc.. is well convincing.

The same thing cannot be said about the music. The songs are average and a big bore. The background score is gripping though and it well compliments with the fast paces scenes in the movie. Akshay, Anupam Kher and Manoj bajpai are as usual teriffic. The first half feels a bit stretched out due to the songs. Had the first half been trimmed off those unnecessary songs, this would have been a much much better movie.

I will not reveal the suspense, so, go watch this movie. This is well worth your time and money.

My rating: 4.5/5
hurricanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2013, 13:34   #2256
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricanes View Post
Special 26
My review is identical to yours :-

Watched "Special 26"

Iam surprised there are not many reviews of S-26. As Hurricane said, it's a brilliantly phenomenal movie and surely will be my favorite movie of 2013. Wonder why the 1st quarter has best movies and remaining 3 quarters of the year is spent doling out garbage

Its such an engrossing movie that till the last frame, you will be transfixed. Btw, never ever we think of watching a movie twice. This movie, we'll watch it again for sure for its sheer brilliance in script, movie making style and superb acting

Akshay was quite good but, it was Anupam Kher who stole the show. His expressions changing from a firm CBI officer to a soft mellowed-down old man was incredible. An example to others to learn a few lessons in acting

Manoj Bajpai was his superb self and did a great job. However, with loads of weight loss, he looks as if he's down with some disease.

The main hero of the movie is the cinematographer who captures the essence of 1980's to the hilt. I had to rub my eyes many times to really digest the fact that Connaught Place and Safdargung was like that in 1980's. Standing ovation to director and cinematographer for showing how Delhi, Calcutta and Mumbai were like that during 80's

Music and Songs were an uncessary addition and shouldn't have been there. Akshay and Kajal Agarwal have zero chemistry.

They wanted Divya Dutt to bring in some humour but, it fell flat

Anyone knows who was Manoj's wife? She was real HOT and made an impression (to me, atleast) in her 2-bit role

The last minute twist in the story will make you gape and you will surely do a double-take. Excellent stuff

Don't Miss it !!!

4.5/5
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2013, 15:03   #2257
Senior - BHPian

+ 1 to what Mobike has stated already. Use of Ambassadors (all marks), old rickshaws, old police jeep, M800s, attention to detail in number plates (white lettering on black as against now); very well conceived movie and brilliant acting by all the actors. Anupam Kher has delivered yet another brilliant performance along with Akshay Kumar and the two other actors.

Manoj Bajpai is to his best and it is hard to believe that he was rejected by NSD. What a loss to them! And yes, loved his wife's acting too

4.5/5; removing 0.5 for Kaajal Agarwal. She was not needed in the movie at all.
amtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2013, 16:00   #2258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
+ 1 to what Mobike has stated already. Use of Ambassadors (all marks), old rickshaws, old police jeep, M800s, attention to detail in number plates (white lettering on black as against now);
+1

Although I am not sure about the blue coloured rail bogies which are shown in the railway station scenes. Were the blue coloured ones introduced in 1987 already? I thought it was in 1991?
chikkars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2013, 17:42   #2259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Any reviews on abcd?
I watched it mainly because of my son. He had seen the protagonists in Dance India Dance, Little Masters.

The movie has typical underdog story line. Prabhudeva woks with KK Menon in his dance school. At the end of a dance show final, Prabhu Deva feels bad that his group did not dance well, in spite of winning it. KK tells him that dancing is not the only thing, entertainment is and reveals that he has got a new dance instructor, a foreigner. Prabhu Deva is told to manage admin functions of the company. Prabhu Deva walks off after a tiff with KK and lands up with Ganesh Acharya in Dongri. He spots a few sadak chaaps running away from cops with stunts which he thinks are good for dancing. The remaining story is about how he grooms them to win the dance show.

3D effects are largely unimpressive.

Overall, a good effort; desi Step Up Dances are no so great, Dance India Dance program had better dances, even with kids. Prabhu Deva's Hindi is poor as expected, he should have gone for somebody dubbing for him.

Last edited by sa_kiran : 11th February 2013 at 17:43.
sa_kiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2013, 00:56   #2260
BHPian

No post in this topic for the last 12 days! It seems people are really busy.

Saw Kai Po Che yesterday. I would definitely recommend this to everyone. Kindly note that I have not read the novel “the 3 mistakes of my life” (on which it is based) and I liked the movie. This is a simple/short/straight movie. The three male heroes were good but I liked the acting of Govind the most. I also loved the role of Vidya (played by Amrita Puri – who played Shefali in “Aisha”). There are two short cameos - one by Ajay Jadeja and one by Chetan Bhagat’s son.
Saanil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2013, 03:02   #2261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa_kiran View Post
Overall, a good effort; desi Step Up Dances are no so great, Dance India Dance program had better dances, even with kids. Prabhu Deva's Hindi is poor as expected, he should have gone for somebody dubbing for him.
You are the first person who told me that dances were not good.

I know its your opinion and i honor it but just saying that whoever has seen the movies says its great WRT dance shown.
chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2013, 07:32   #2262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post

You are the first person who told me that dances were not good.

I know its your opinion and i honor it but just saying that whoever has seen the movies says its great WRT dance shown.
I compare to the dances performed by children on Dance India Dance, Little Masters, since quite a few actors/dancers have that background.
sa_kiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2013, 09:21   #2263
BHPian

Watched Kai Po Che , a nice movie very rustic movie. Sushant singh rajput might be a dark horse in bollywood, he is superb in the movie. rating 3.5/5.
dkhatau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2013, 13:30   #2264
BHPian

Watched INKAAR, must watch movie who so ever is in corporate world. Very will directed and songs are quite different and good.

Amit
amitpunjani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2013, 14:09   #2265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
My review is identical to yours :-

Anyone knows who was Manoj's wife? She was real HOT and made an impression (to me, atleast) in her 2-bit role

The last minute twist in the story will make you gape and you will surely do a double-take. Excellent stuff

Don't Miss it !!!

4.5/5
Totally agree with you buddy, saw the movie yesterday and well worth the effort. Manoj's wife in the movie is a Punjabi actress named "Neetu Singh" and definately leaves a Big Impression!
Maverick5490 is online now   Reply With Quote