Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 28th July 2014, 17:00   #2641
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: The Hindi Movies Thread

Watched Ek Villain yesterday. Nice one timer. Don't know why but was getting vibes of 'A walk to remember' during the most parts of the movie. Ritesh Deshmukh is a good & versatile actor. The irritating moans of S. Malhotra was a little too much to take. Shraddha Kapoor was good and keeps looking well during the entire movie...ironically, even when she was on terminal illness. Some songs were good, particularly 'Galiyan'.

I would rate it 3.5/5.
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2014, 21:10   #2642
Senior - BHPian

Folks! Went to watch KICK today and it's simply disappointing. No script, No logic, Useless music and Salman Khan has under-acted. It is a combo of Dabangg, Dhoom 1 & 3 and Krish. As far as acting goes, it is only Randeep Hooda and Nawaz-ud-din Siddiqui to watch out for as they are the saving grace.

The lead actress is a total waste and veterans like Mithun Sir, Saurabh Shukla ji and Mrs. Archana Puran Singh's talent has been under utilized. To add to it Shimona has come in as a guest actor which is not even required.

Overall there is nothing new in this movie and at times it reminds you of Rohit Shetty's movies which have destruction of cars. All the earnings and figures have been reached simply because of brand "Salman Khan". Even Jai Ho was far better than this.

Rating it 1/5 just for Randeep Hooda's acting.

Thanks
ad3952n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2014, 22:10   #2643
Senior - BHPian

Folks! Went to watch Hate Story 2 surprisingly with my special one who came on a one day trip to Delhi since tomorrow is the date when I was launched on this planet earth. Well, the movie is simply dominated by Surveen Chawla right from start to end. She has acted really well. Music is fine with a "loud" song by Sunny. The hero, Jay Bhanushali has done a decent job being his 1st film. Shushant Singh keeps on referring his father's sayings in the whole movie and actually does a fair job.

This female oriented movie has been really well made and does not involve running around trees. Crisp and to-the-point narration shall not be boring for the audience.

Rating it: 3.5/5 on the basis of Surveen's acting and music.

Thanks.
ad3952n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2014, 13:46   #2644
BHPian

Default Citylights (2014)

Wanted to watch 'Citylights' in the theaters but never could get around to that. So finally got the DVD and watched it.

Review: 4.5/5
The performances of the lead actors are absolutely brilliant. Rajkumar Rao's performance was stellar. A slightly depressing movie which is a slap on the lives that we the privileged live. Hugely thought provoking is the term I will use for the movie. One of the movies not to be missed in my opinion.
pratyush6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2014, 10:20   #2645
Senior - BHPian

I liked Nawaz's performance in Kick !

Nawazuddin Siddiqui: I’m flattered by the response to my role in Kick and I owe it to Salman Khan

Nawazuddin Siddiqui has proved his versatility and acting prowess in a range of distinct roles before. And with Kick, he has touched new heights of commercial success. An overwhelmed Nawaz talks of his first negative character and more...

Did you expect this kind of reaction to your performance in Kick?

Not at all, because the film has superstar Salman Khan in it! The songs are equally good. I thought people may not even notice me. Itna jyaada appreciate karenge, aisa nahi socha tha. What can I say to this? It's a huge compliment. I am flattered. This brilliant response will help my small budget films. At a private screening, Salman warmly hugged me and appreciated my work. I owe this to him as it's because of Salman that I was able to reach out to a wider audience.

link:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/e...w/39354615.cms
vinay kamath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2014, 14:59   #2646
BHPian

I guess Kick is for the hardcore Salman Khan fans. Agree that there were loop holes in the story but overall I found it entertaining. My criteria of judgement is simple :
1) Pace - Overall fast (just a bit slow for 15 minutes towards the end
2) Songs - Awesome
3) Dance/ Choreography - Nice
4) Location - Loved the part shot in Poland
5) Action - Good - Larger than Life
6) Co- stars - Loved them all. Randeep Hooda - Fantastic. Jacquline - Awesome looker specially in Songs, Mithun, Saurabh Shukla, Archana Puran Singh (brief role) all good. Nawazudin Sidiqui -Awesomely fresh as a villian. Funny and Scary at the same time.

All in all - Loved it.
JASMEET MATTOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2014, 15:09   #2647
BHPian

Default Re: Citylights (2014)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
Wanted to watch 'Citylights' in the theaters but never could get around to that. So finally got the DVD and watched it.

Review: 4.5/5
The performances of the lead actors are absolutely brilliant. Rajkumar Rao's performance was stellar. A slightly depressing movie which is a slap on the lives that we the privileged live. Hugely thought provoking is the term I will use for the movie. One of the movies not to be missed in my opinion.
Citylights is indeed a beautiful movie, which is so close to day to day life. Its sad to see, these kind of movie silently comes and goes and hardly anybody appreciates them.
amitpunjani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2014, 15:17   #2648
BHPian

Default Re: Citylights (2014)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitpunjani View Post
Citylights is indeed a beautiful movie, which is so close to day to day life. Its sad to see, these kind of movie silently comes and goes and hardly anybody appreciates them.
And we keep harping we have bad cinema! The fact is we hardly go to watch the good movies and keep queuing for movies made using less than pea sized brain; we have all been there.
Most directors and producers do the movies most of us watch. I mean the Singhams... Dabang.. All of them are the same. The same formula repeated again and again and again! Hence we have a situation where quality is thrown out of the window. These days producers make movie to earn the prestigious 100Cs

P.S. I corrected myself after watching Dabang. But that is just me.

Last edited by pratyush6 : 4th August 2014 at 15:18.
pratyush6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2014, 21:21   #2649
Distinguished - BHPian

Loved watching Kick 3/5

Its a typical Salman Khan movie. You watch them for entertainment & not for serious cinema.

Also for those complaining about logic please watch the latest Transformer movie, Kick had more logical scenes than that one.
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2014, 22:39   #2650
BHPian

After watching Kick half way through, I have decided to stay far away from any Masala flicks in the future. God please help me in achieving this improbable goal.

The weird sound that goes in the background(to indicate salman needs a kick or whatever his Mental state is) in the cafeteria fight scene made me believe that there are some artist greater than Zimmers.

*sarcasm* *rant* end.
Fraz33r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2014, 01:51   #2651
Senior - BHPian

Watched Kick and Citylights.

Kick :- 3/5
Okayish movie. Southern movies pattern. Very fast paced. Dhishoom dhishoom, put an item number of Nargis, have a sacrifice at the end to show why the hero was doing dhishoom dhishoom all through the movie.
Salman was looking terrific. His age doesn't show, looked good with french beard, sounded bad with fake western accent.
Overall a one time watch. Good that I didn't spend the money in a multiplex.

Citylights :- 4/5
I think the director could have shown a little better approach.
Lead actors were good. Heart wrenching moments shown.
I wish the bar dance scenes were less included. They seem to be dragged a bit and looked boring.
Also, the ending was half-hazard. I mean, he had provided the key stamp on a soap bar, but he died escaping. He could have tried out in a little more careful way, instead of violence. After spending a month in Mumbai with smart people, I expected him to take a smart step. Also, after his death, when the wife receives his uniform and belongings (which may be after a day or two), all that mattered to her was to get the key stamp and open the money box. I wish, they could have shown a little more emotional breakdown there.
Soumyajit9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2014, 12:19   #2652
Senior - BHPian

I will also rate Kick 4/5.

I watched it on the second day of its release.
Since I use up my brain on weekdays, little is left for the weekend. So I cannot watch serious drama movies on weekends. All I can tolerate is some mindless stupid mass entertainers. Kick is exactly that. It gave me exactly what I wanted, relief from the week's stress.

I feel Salman looked older in Wanted, than in Kick!

Will I watch it again? When it comes on TV, yes. But not in theatre!

By the way, I had missed "Jai Ho", was I wasn't here when it was released. I tried watching it on tv. And I was happy I did not watch it in theatre. I couldn't tolerate that film for more than half an hour. I tried watching bits and pieces during advertisement breaks in other channels, and the movie was still intolerable!

I can't rate it, as I didn't watch it fully.
rohanjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2014, 00:16   #2653
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
I feel Salman looked older in Wanted, than in Kick!
Absolutely, he looked so fat and ugly in Wanted.
I recall seeing Aamir in Fanaa and then in 3 Idiots. What a transformation.
Same thing with Salman.

Quote:
Will I watch it again? When it comes on TV, yes. But not in theatre!
Bingo. Me too. Atleast it would be a better watch than Sooryavansham or any south movie dubbed with horrible Bhojpuri accent and names !!!

Quote:
By the way, I had missed "Jai Ho", was I wasn't here when it was released. I tried watching it on tv. And I was happy I did not watch it in theatre. I couldn't tolerate that film for more than half an hour. I tried watching bits and pieces during advertisement breaks in other channels, and the movie was still intolerable!
I can't rate it, as I didn't watch it fully.
Good that you didnt watch it. I had lot of Internet data usage left for the month. So I downloaded Jai Ho, amongst others, and I still regret wasting those unused 700MB !!

PS: Share our reviews of Jai Ho with 3 people and ask them to share it with 3 others, to avoid the world feeling pained after watching Jai Ho.

Last edited by Soumyajit9 : 7th August 2014 at 00:17. Reason: PS Added
Soumyajit9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2014, 01:22   #2654
BHPian

Just watched D-day.
Its a very under-rated film. Its got some fantastic dialogues.
"yeh mulk meri maa hai, aur mumbai meri mashuka"
very good performances by irfaan, and Rishi Kapoor. Rishi Kapoor has played Dawood really well.
If you like watching movies with great one liners then you have to see this film.
ortho_surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2014, 08:33   #2655
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: The Hindi Movies Thread

Now since everyone is writing about the Kick let me put my words too. Saw it last weekend just because my son pestered me to hell. I came out of the hall with a sheepish look but my son had a different glow on his face. And all he was trying to make the sound like Nawazuddin Siddique did in the movie and laugh like him.

IMO Nawaz should have been give another 15-20 mins in the movie for hi maniacal act. I found the performance the only thing to watch in the otherwise drab movie. The songs arent even hummable leave apart singing.

Can someone tell me what was Salman riding in the opening scene? Some modded e-rickshaw kind? Which bike was being used for that?
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote