Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 5th January 2015, 16:02   #2746
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The Hindi Movies Thread

Watched PK & Ugly on back-to-back weekends. PK is funny in bits, but is mediocre overall, definitely not worth an expensive theater ticket. Rajkumar Hirani is falling into the same rut as Madhur Bhandarkar, most of his movies beginning to look & feel the same, give or take a few bits and twists.

Ugly on the other hand is a must-watch for the superb acting, if not the 'promises much but under-delivers' storyline. Ronit Roy and Girish Kulkarni are terrific. Two scenes involving Girish Kulkarni (the initial FIR scene and another with Ronit Roy further in the investigation) are terrific, humor in a perfectly serious setting. Convincing performances from almost the entire cast.
Chetan_Rao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2015, 14:33   #2747
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
And this scene set such high expectations from the movie, that it ended up disappointing me a li'l bit. Maybe that was because I could guess the climax much before it was revealed.
Hmmm. I thought entire movie was quite tightly woven. I wasnt disappointed at all. Great thriller

I will buy an original DVD for my collection (very very rare movies go into this collection)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
I have almost each dialogue of Quentin Tarintino by hearted

Some of them play as ring tones on my phone and gives a shock to folks beside me

My favorite meaningless dialogue delivery but was so impactful was the one between Larry and Michael Madsen in Kill Bill 2

MM comes late for work ( he is a bouncer) and Larry (MM's boss) calls him into his office and gives him a piece of his mind

Best ever conversation !!! Check it out if you havent already
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2015, 15:34   #2748
BHPian

Watched Baby

Another really good film from Neeraj Pandey. The film is brilliantly shot and directed, the action scenes are sensible and intense. Each and every actor does a great job(even the ones who are there for a single scene)
I don't know why Akshay Kumar does not do these kinds of roles more often.
A lot of sequences have similarities with other films like Zero Dark Thirty and Argo. Many of the suspense scenes are predictable but overall a great film to watch.
Rating-3/5
Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2015, 23:48   #2749
Team-BHP Support

Baby = 4 stars

It's a good spy thriller, almost the best to come out of Bollywood in this genre. The casting is perfect - All, and I mean all, actors do a fantastic job. The movie's a tad predictable and could have been shorter by ten minutes but that does not not take away too much. I am still not convinced about the name Baby though

This guy Neeraj Pandey is definitely good - Wednesday, Special 26 and now Baby. Hats off !
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2015, 10:49   #2750
Senior - BHPian

PK: 2/5

One advice to RKH. You didn't live up to OMG standards. Just publicising AK will hot help business. This movie had no masala, no climax, no emotions, nothing.
If speaking Bhojpuri was funny, then so be it.
Just watched OMG last saturday. Paresh Rawal was nth times better than AK.
More importantly, you don't win back your spaceship control by a TV talk show.

Baby: 4/5

Initially, me and wifey felt a bit unconfortable sitting in a theatre, on a Republic Day, watching an Anti-Terrorist move !!
Well, the first 20 mins, I wondered how did Censor board pass this movie ?
Blatant on the face facts, hard hitting. Loved it.
Best Quote heard till date: "Religion wale column mein hum log bold & Capital mein INDIAN likhte hain". The hall was full of whistles and claps, and for the first time probably, I whistled and clapped in a hall !!
Akshay Kumar - You are just like wine. The older you becomes, the sexier you have become.
The 2nd half was dragged. I wished that it was shortened, Maulana captured and brought to India, 3rd degreee interrogated, Akki helps diffusing some bombs and finally saving million of Indian lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Baby = 4 stars
I am still not convinced about the name Baby though
Neither me. I was struggling to understand the prologue, when a confusion over seats began in my front row. But all I could make out was that these guys were sent for some training, and since these were fresh recruits, their team was named Baby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Stanley ka dabba - 5/5
My goodness! What a movie!
Can't agree more !! Had bought tears to my eyes, which TZP and Udaan couldn't.

Last edited by Soumyajit9 : 27th January 2015 at 10:59.
Soumyajit9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2015, 10:49   #2751
Team-BHP Support

Stanley ka dabba - 5/5

My goodness! What a movie!

Never knew 90 minutes went past just like that! The lead actor of the movie - Partho Gupte, a young child acted so well (for a guy of his age!) along with his bunch of classmates and the supporting cast who played the role of several teachers of a school. The Hindi teacher Amole Gupte, was so damn good as a khadoos teacher! Incidentally, he was also the director and producer of the movie and was the scriptwriter for Taare Zameen Par. His son was the lead actor of the movie.

The movie made me nostalgic and took me back to my school days - sitting in groups for having lunch during the recess, sharing our dabba (lunchbox) with our group, drawing a boundary on the desk and partitioning it so the bench-mate doesn't cross the boundary, raising hands for answering the teacher's questions, submitting homework, a few good teachers and a few not-so-good ones etc.

This is a must-watch and not to be missed. 90 minutes of your life well worth it IMO. If you loved TZP, Udaan and the likes, you'll love this one! Please watch it!
Gannu_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2015, 11:09   #2752
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched Hawaizaade!

A movie based on Shivkar Talpade, who supposedly built & flew an unmanned aircraft as early as 1895 which is earlier than 1903 when Wright brothers were credited with flying the first airplane.

Addition of love story, some masala were actually not needed in the movie and that way it could have focused better on the main theme, which the movie could not. The endless list of songs were actually not needed and dilute the theme further. The movie, despite a good theme at hands could not make an impact or impression because of the above factors.

My rating 3/5.

Will watch Stanley ka Dabba on the appreciation which TBHP members have showered on the movie. The kid in the movie seems like the one who starred in Hawa Hawai, another off beat movie which probably did not do good on the box office but I enjoyed watching.

Last edited by saket77 : 5th February 2015 at 11:10.
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2015, 12:27   #2753
Distinguished - BHPian

On a movie watching spree: Watched Baby.

Very good movie and Akshay Kumar shines throughout in this role. In fact, all actors have done a brilliant job. Good to see a non-masala, non-(uselessly) emotional bollywood movie with great execution. Definitely developing a liking for Neeraj Pandey's work. But unfortunately, this movie will not become as popular as PK, Kick and other such mainstream movies.

Rated 4/5.
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2015, 17:46   #2754
BHPian

Watched Baby the other day. Quite good I must say. The story flows very well with no boring bits in the middle. The plot is also not predictable so you are always guessing what will happen next (A good thing). I went in with no expectations and came out quite impressed.

I think we should all watch and support movies like these.

4/5 From my side.
amrisharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2015, 20:17   #2755
BANNED

Thumbs down Re: The Hindi Movies Thread

Watched Haider

Shahid did some good work but the story line was confusing and reference to Kashmir & Indian army did not make much sense .

rating 2/5 & avoidable glad that i did not see it on multiplex.

Last edited by Kool_Kid : 18th February 2015 at 20:18.
Kool_Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2015, 23:14   #2756
Senior - BHPian

Watched Roy because I like Ranbir as well as Arjun

IT was the worst movie I have ever seen. It was not even a movie, it was like someone planted camera's in their normal lives and it just kept recording.

Super boring, super slow and had absolutely no story.

Rating 0/5

Avoid at all costs
humyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2015, 00:14   #2757
Distinguished - BHPian

Haha I had been wondering why no one has posted a review of Roy till now. I was amongst the unfortunate few who happened to watch it on the first day itself since the promos and songs looked so promising. The movie has to be one of the worst movies I have ever seen and I still don't understand two things:

1. What was Ranbir Kapoor doing in such a movie as he literally didn't even have more than handful of dialogues in the whole film.

2. Doesn't the whole team including the director, producer, actors etc atleast watch the movie once when its made or they just pass the horror on to the viewers?

Rating: Avoid like the plague! 0/5.
drmohitg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2015, 10:38   #2758
BHPian

Watched Badlapur yesterday - Just one word for Varun Dhawan - Superstar.

Though movie is a bit hard hitting and not for the faint hearted, Varun Dhawan has carried the role (and the movie) on his shoulders like a pro. Never felt that this guy is just 4-5 movies old. I always thought that such movies will suit actors like Salman, Akshay and Amir as they will play their own age. Varun has emoted the painful scenes with such a perfection that I was with him through out the whole movie.

I would rate the movie on the whole - 3.5/5
JASMEET MATTOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2015, 09:17   #2759
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JASMEET MATTOO View Post
Watched Badlapur yesterday - Just one word for Varun Dhawan - Superstar.

Varun Dhawan has carried the role (and the movie) on his shoulders like a pro.
Not a word about other actors in the movie.. Surprised !
anand_hc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2015, 09:46   #2760
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand_hc View Post
Not a word about other actors in the movie.. Surprised !
Hi Anand

No doubt the movie is full of great actors and some good performances by Nawazuddin Siddiqui, Huma qureshi, Vinay Pathak and Radhika Apte. But we have seen all of them in some good roles in similar serious movies earlier. It is varun dhawan who has tried a different genre so I believe it was worth to mention.
JASMEET MATTOO is offline   Reply With Quote