Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 29th December 2016, 11:03   #2986
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: The Hindi Movies Thread

Never had watched wrestling matches with so much concentration Dangal is a very good movie and liked the fact that it doesnt show Amir and his body too much (like his earlier ones). Its very well shot and is all about the kids. You dont notice technicalities or anything since its pure story telling.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2016, 12:50   #2987
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi30 View Post
Dangal : 3.5/5
The climax was the plan the director had to create the melodrama, which to some extent worked, if this was not there then there was no point focusing on the Nigerian's match with Geeta, which clearly portrayed his differences with the Indian coach, there was no masala left for the next bout. I guess real life has to be different with reel life even if its an autobiography. I liked the movie, the only scene where we felt he was over acting was during the fag end of the bout between him and his daughter, he could have been more natural there, I was expecting a heart attack at the end of that scene

Its great that the movie didn't focus or run around Amir too much, else it would have become like sultan where in I had to turn off the movie in the first half, luckily my dog ate that DVD else I would have to look at creative ways to avoid that movie being played at home again.

Pramod

Last edited by Eddy : 30th December 2016 at 15:18. Reason: Removed Spoilers
pramodkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2016, 14:54   #2988
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Regarding the portrayal of Amir Khan or Farhan Akhtar of real life athletes, are they really doing justice to their roles ? I have never seen any athlete leave alone Milkha or any wrestler with sculpted bodies like they had in the movies. (sprint runners, maybe)

Its like they are telling the real athletes they are portraying they lacked something and hence were just that, good for India athletes ! Or maybe over hyping the roles for commercial interests.

Last edited by srishiva : 30th December 2016 at 14:56.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2017, 12:20   #2989
BHPian

#Dangal : A superb watch to bring in the new year. Overall, the film felt a bit sporadic, with some parts ringing quite one note-ish - For instance, the incredibly quick u-turn from the children (once they hear the speech from the child bride) felt too simplistic; and of course, no national level coach can be as much of an unfiltered idiot as they shown him to be in the film.

But the performances!!! That's where this film shines like a jewel. We are treated to fetching portrayals across the board. Aamir lives his role; and lots of others commit to theirs and give him a solid run for his money - I was blown away by the scene when the gauntlet gets thrown down, and the tight lipped Geeta decides to takes on her father - Her hurt pride and his dented ago in full display when they go at each other. Aamir's character demonstrating that he still has the moves despite his age and extra weight, and Geeta determined to put him down to prove her point. Just for its sheer energy and the emotional undercurrents, that bout was the best for me in a film filled with thrilling grappling scenes that look 100% real.

The time invested by the four girls in training themselves translates to sheer delight for viewers. It is also amazing to think that Aamir went through all that physical rigor for a scene that lasted less than a minute. Same for Sanya. She got so little wrestling screen time; and yet, she trained for close to an year!! Watch it and be amazed.

P. S.

Someone should send flowers to the casting team of this film. They haven't put a foot wrong here. Sakshi gets the break that she so deserves. And should they choose it, Fatima, Sanya, Zaira, and Suhani have a long Bollywood career ahead of them.
mohansrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2017, 14:09   #2990
Team-BHP Support

Very well written review of the movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohansrides View Post
But the performances!!! That's where this film shines like a jewel. We are treated to fetching portrayals across the board. Aamir lives his role; and lots of others commit to theirs and give him a solid run for his money - I was blown away by the scene when the gauntlet gets thrown down, and the tight lipped Geeta decides to takes on her father - Her hurt pride and his dented ago in full display when they go at each other. Aamir's character demonstrating that he still has the moves despite his age and extra weight, and Geeta determined to put him down to prove her point. Just for its sheer energy and the emotional undercurrents, that bout was the best for me in a film filled with thrilling grappling scenes that look 100% real.
I completely agree. This scene from the movie which comes just post-intermission is the best scene of the movie and makes the entire movie paisa vasool (VFM)
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2017, 16:52   #2991
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Very well written review of the movie

(VFM)
Many thanks mobike. I am a huge movie fan who has always been first in line at mocking the stupid crap that Bollywood churns out. But, once in a while comes a Bollywood film (or two, or three) that warms my cynical heart. This is one such film.

We all know that movie making is an exhaustive business, and that even making pedestrian movies calls for huge effort. But, a film like this with so many physical transformations, learning of a new sport, linguistic nuances, etc. has to be something that sucks enormous energies from everyone. I watched interviews with the director and was pleased at the level of detail in consideration for each aspect of the film. Thanks to Youtube and social media, we now have a window into the effort that goes into making movies like this.

Go Bollywood.
mohansrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2017, 13:08   #2992
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for all the reviews, guys! Watched Dangal last night and absolutely loved it. Rating 5 out of 5 stars. Trust Aamir'bhai to make a movie on wrestling (a sport hardly anyone watches) so damn interesting. It's a long movie, but never leaves you bored.

All actors have performed flawlessly. Perfectly chosen cast.

Sharing this interesting video here:
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2017, 21:38   #2993
BHPian

Dangal!

What a superb movie. In my local language Dangal means riot! and nothing to do with 'Akhada' wrestling.

More than Aamir Khan, I believe the hero of the movie is the script, direction the way wrestling is shot and the Story. I am quite aware that the writers have taken liberty adding the right pieces to appeal to the commercial audience, but they haven't gone overboard, Just like the right amount of Salt in your food which makes it so tasty and flavorful. Some scenes are just a delight to watch which I cannot name here for spoiler free review.

Someone commented above that every 2-3 years, there comes a movie and I agree this one definitely fits the bill. Nitesh Tiwari has the edge of rusticity and he has done a fine job. His previous "Neel Battey Sanata" was also a movie that i liked.

As far as the International kudos to this movie goes (including oscars), I am not sure, if the people will understand the culture/nature of fight Mahavir Singh had to go through. From the interview of the Phogat sisters, It seems this was just a small depiction to the extent their dad went to. To have that kind of thinking with 4 girls in his life 10 years back , I should say he had a will power and strength to take out anyone, not just in wrestling but real life problems.

This story and the man himself deserves an Oscar from my end! and thanks to all the people who brought this story to us and made a delight to watch!
Fraz33r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2017, 12:07   #2994
BHPian

I sincerely believe that your like/dislike for a movie in someway is related to your mood while watching the movie and your expectations from the movie. There are many other factors which can influence your liking but there are some of the factors I can think of right now. This weekend I saw 'OK Jaanu'. Now I was in the right mood while watching the movie but I had good expectations from the movie - a mistake I made I guess. I can say that this is probably the worst movie I have seen in the past 3-4 years. Before that, the title belonged to a Shahid Kapoor starer called 'Mausam'.

The movie is a remake of a Tamil movie which was directed by Mani Ratnam. The movie is directed by Shaad Ali. For those who do not know, here are the films he has directed previously - Saathiya, Bunty aur Babli, Jhoom Barabar Jhoom and Kill Dill.

Now the trailer of the movie gives you a decent amount of hint about the story. But the execution is very very poor. There is no build up of characters, the chemistry between the lead actors (who are supposedly dating in real life) is non existent and the movie does not have any WoW moments apart from the music from A.R. Rehman.

I went to the movie with 5 other people. Almost all of them hated the movie. Also worth noting that when you see a movie like Dangal previously, you are bound to be underwhelmed when you see such a movie. But in spite of that fact, this movie is an absolute avoid! Watch Dangal again if you want, but please DO NOT go for this movie!

Last edited by Saanil : 15th January 2017 at 12:08.
Saanil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2017, 21:07   #2995
BHPian

Any reviews on the big two that released this week?

wouldn't want to go though them unless I hear T-BHP movie reviews!
Fraz33r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2017, 21:29   #2996
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraz33r View Post

Saw Kaabil yesterday.
Predictable but entertaining. Story is fine, songs are good and Acting is great.. Hrithik has done an amazing job depicting the struggles of a blind man. Well worth a watch.
Ps - one of the better climax twists I have seen in hindi movies off late.

Last edited by harry10 : 27th January 2017 at 21:32.
harry10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2017, 21:30   #2997
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraz33r View Post

I'm also waiting for the reviews. However, I would bet on Raaes more than Kaabil

Roshan family has been dishing out duds every since their sole hit many many years ago. It's like a family business for time-pass with boring romantic themes. I will have to be pushed into the theatre along with a solid review for Kaabil

Raaes from the trailers looks nothing spectacular. Just about average

Lets wait for the real deal to be posted here!
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2017, 13:01   #2998
Senior - BHPian

Raees - 4.5/5

I was never a SRK fan, infact I would avoid all his movies but on a recent trip to Junagadh, I somehow thought it would be a good idea to sit in Gujarat and watch a movie which was filed in Gujarat as it would have a lot of Gujarat's flavour and with that thought I ended up with my cousins at a theatre in Junagadh and BOY I think I made the right decision.

Raees is something which has SRK shines like a diamond, the story, the screenplay, everything just looks PERFECT

A must watch and if you are an SRK fan, you will probably watch this twice in the theatre.
humyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2017, 14:17   #2999
Senior - BHPian

Watched Raees over the weekend. While SRK has acted well, Nawazuddin steals the show as usual. But I would suggest, the movie can be avoided. It better to be watched on television. My reasons are - the story is very weak and inconsistent (for me, it was boring). There are missing links in the story. The lead actress is unimpressive. Nawazuddin doesn't have a lot of screen time.

My rating - 2.5/5 (for Nawazuddin and some for SRK).
ashis89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2017, 11:48   #3000
BHPian

Saw Dhanak (Rainbow) - a film by Nagesh Kukunoor. Such a sweet movie. A story of two siblings in rural Rajasthan, their road journey from a small village to far off Jaisalmer, and their encounters with different kinds of people form the crux of the film. The film revels in helping us the see the world through the eyes of those two kids and consistently maintains it throughout the movie.

Dont have any idea on how it performed at the box office, but just wish that such genuine efforts are appreciated by more people.
ZedMae is offline   Reply With Quote