Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 2nd June 2017, 13:14   #3031
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: The Hindi Movies Thread

If anyone has seen 'Sachin: A billion dreams', please share a review. Thanks!
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2017, 13:44   #3032

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Watched the movie. This is not a biopic (like MS Dhoni)but more like documentary where Sachin is narrating his story. Loved the movie.
niteshcs20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2017, 16:25   #3033
Team-BHP Support

I will catch the movie sooner or later, but I was wondering which version will be better - Hindi or English ?
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2017, 16:48   #3034
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I had mixed feelings as I came out of the theater. The movie tends to enlarge the-God-like-image of 'Sachin' - which at some point seems excess.

It could have provided an insight into cricketing world's controversies (there were plenty few during his time), but there is none to be found here. Even for other non-controversial topics, there is hardly anything that you don't know. And yet in patches, specially last 10-15 minutes, the movie builds up the tempo and makes you reminisce the time, you've spent watching his spectacular innings. That makes it worth a watch.
ritzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2017, 11:58   #3035
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by niteshcs20 View Post
Loved the movie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritzy View Post
That makes it worth a watch.
Thanks guys! Booked tickets after seeing your posts and watched it last night.

Loved it. Yes, it's more of a documentary than a film (like Dhoni's), yet Sachin is the undisputed legend of our generation and it was quite a watch. Especially liked all the internal amateur videos, comments from others etc.

Surely biased in favour of Sachin, but well, he is the greatest. I don't follow cricket much, so a lot of the events were new for me. Saw a lot of people in the theatre crying toward the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
I will catch the movie sooner or later, but I was wondering which version will be better - Hindi or English ?
Saw Hindi + loved it.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2017, 12:17   #3036
BHPian

Finally watched Hindi Medium

Irrfan Khan, what an actor! Always have been such a big admirer of his prowess. Shows how easily he carries the whole movie, almost alone. I knew he had a funny bone when saw him in Life in a Metro.. but this is a full fledged role and loved every minute of it.

Probably the last 10 mins was a bit melodramatic but totally worth it. For anyone who hasn't seen Yeh Saali Zindagi, please do - you will fall over yourself.

The song which the kids had sung 'Ek Jindari'; among the most underrated songs that I have heard in the recent times. Blew me away!
The social message and something that is very very close to my heart, 'Education for every kid is this country'; is something I wish more of us take to heart.

Last edited by pratyush6 : 13th July 2017 at 12:19.
pratyush6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2017, 09:39   #3037
Senior - BHPian

Just saw Jagga Jasoos last night.

I must say, I am fairly disappointed. What's worse, I expected to be disappointed. More because, I have become quite a fan of Ranbir Kapoor, especially his off beat films: Wake Up Sid, Rockstar, Tamasha and others, and I got a sense that this wouldn't be a well put together film.

I like the fact that they've experimented in making such a film but there are inexcusable errors:

1) This is being touted as a musical but most of the lines just don't rhyme! I just got put off every time they went into the sing-dance routine as there was only the odd instance when there they rhymed

2) Lack of a story: the scenes change so drastically and so abruptly that more often than not, there isn't a logical sequence to what's happening in the film

3) Katrina Kaif

Moral of the story: may be for the kids, go for the movie just for the silliness. But otherwise, skip. Watch Tamasha another time instead.

2/5
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2017, 10:17   #3038
Senior - BHPian

Me and my friend went to watch Jagga Jasoos on Saturday. Must say we came back happy watching it. In this film, Ranbir's role is quite similar to Barfi (I feel all his last few films, he has acted in similar genre - eccentric, unstable, handicapped, etc). We were surprised that the a major portion of the film's narration is in the form of short poems/songs. While some of them might not rhyme, we appreciated the creativity of the team.

My suggestion - don't look for sense in the movie, enjoy the acting by Ranbir, Saurabh Shukla and Saswata Chatterjee. Try to ignore Katrina. Last 30% of the movie feels weak and a bit disappointing. I would still give it 3.5/5 for all the above.
ashis89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2017, 11:48   #3039
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Moral of the story: may be for the kids, go for the movie just for the silliness. But otherwise, skip. Watch Tamasha another time instead.
Thanks for this and that makes me assume that its Kids Friendly?

My daughter has been pestering us to take her to watch this movie for one single reason - The Disney banner as she things all that is Disney is fairy tale and kid friendly.

At least for the sake of her, I am heading to watch it this weekend.
paragsachania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2017, 11:56   #3040
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Thanks for this and that makes me assume that its Kids Friendly?
Absolutely. There's no objectionable visual or audio content throughout the movie.

The plot is very slow though.
Old 2nd August 2017, 10:45   #3041
BHPian

Watched "Lipstick under my burkha" yesterday. A feminist story depicting women's equality and liberation, has excellent acting by Konkana Sen and Ratna Pathak.

An adult film with explicit audio/visual scenes and abusive words.

Rating : 3/5
AltoLXI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2017, 11:08   #3042
Senior - BHPian

Watched A Death in the Gunj, Konkona Sen Sharma's directorial debut.

The movie is based on a novel by her father, an okayish watch. A typical "off beat" movie, if one wants to generalize it.

I've seen better ones, this one moves slightly slow.

Stellar cast though: Kalki, Om Puri, Tanuja, Ranvir Shorey (among the better known ones)

Fireflies is another such movie, with Rahul Khanna and Monica Dogra.
Old 2nd August 2017, 12:47   #3043

Watched Mubarakaan. Contrary to expectations, the movie turned out to be quite good. Generally I try and avoid Hindi comedies (the recent ones). But this was refreshingly different. A clean and funny movie with a good script and great acting by the senior cast.
sanmish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2017, 16:51   #3044
BHPian

Watched Toilet: Ek ...............today. Not very convincing. In the second half Akshay and Pednekar both seem to be sleep walking towards the cliched end.

Good for a one time watch.
skdking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2017, 00:22   #3045
Senior - BHPian

Saw Lipstick Under My Burkha earlier today. I'd rate it 2.5/5.

The movie is about female empowerment / feminism. While the cause is one I believe in/support, I think the movie has trivialized it to some extent.

I think it is pointless, and cliche, how feminism essentially means showing women smoking and having pre-marital sex.