Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2015, 14:42   #331
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 442
Thanked: 33 Times
Default re: Health insurance queries? Ask me!

Lots of BHPians are posting their queries on this thread, but it appears that Varun hasn't replied since June.

I myself had posted a query a few months ago. At that time I only had diabetes and was struggling to get Health Insurance. It became obvious to me back then that all insurers would insist on a medical checkup and I was trying hard not to open that particular can of worms.

Based on a web recommendation, I got in touch with Coverfox (www.coverfox.com) and not only did they attend to my queries patiently, but I was also able to obtain a Family Floater medical insurance policy of Rs. 6 lakhs with no medical checkup whatsoever. The insurance contract clearly has an endorsement for my diabetes as a pre-existing disease and they also mention that all pre-existing diseases would be covered after 4 years.

Getting the medical insurance turned out to be fortuitous for me as a couple of months later I was diagnosed with Coronary Artery Disease and I had to undergo a Triple Coronary Arterial Bypass Graft (CABG) surgery (of course not covered by the family floater, but luckily I had employer insurance as well). I doubt any insurer would want to touch me now.
nowwhat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2016, 15:34   #332
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 66
Thanked: 26 Times
Default re: Health insurance queries? Ask me!

Which medical insurance has a good network of hospitals covered in Hyderabad?
I am looking for a health insurance policy for a family of myself (32 yrs), wife (29) and to-be born baby soon. Of course, we are covered under my employer group insurance.
Would like to take another from the market after the baby is born.
Any feedback/suggestions are welcome
manduvindupondu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2016, 10:26   #333
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 442
Thanked: 33 Times
Default re: Health insurance queries? Ask me!

Religare called me a couple of days back to tell me about their new health insurance called "Care Freedom" which requires no medical checkup, covers pre-existing illnesses after 2 years (instead of the regular 4 years) and can be extended for life.

As someone who previously applied for Religare and then backed out, they were well aware of my pre-existing disease (diabetes) which I have had for several years. When I went online to the Religare website, I found that this one costs only slightly more than their regular "Care" policy. However knowing that private insurers in India shirk even the slightest underwriting risk (as can be seen by the fact that those who removed kidney stones were denied insurance compared to those who didn't), I knew that there must be a catch and apparently there was one or maybe several as the salesperson quickly revealed to me on the phone.

The biggest detriment of this policy is that it requires a copayment of 20%. This may not bother some, but may cross a lakh for expensive surgeries. In addition, there are various sublimits for procedures and coverage itself can be had only for 3 or 5 lakhs.

For those like me, I would still have considered a medical insurance like this a year or so ago, but fortunately there are still very few insurers who would put someone like me in the general pool with a regular medical insurance policy.

Last edited by nowwhat? : 17th February 2016 at 10:27.
nowwhat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2016, 22:46   #334
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 69
Thanked: 15 Times
Default re: Health insurance queries? Ask me!

Hi guys,

I wanted to get your advice on which policy I should buy:
- I am an NRI and plan to be for along time.
- Will eventually move to India so wanted to get one now
- About to turn the big 30 so would be great to get it before then to avail of the lower premium

Questions:
- As an NRI can I buy medical insurance in India?
- Is there a policy where the total cover increases with age (and inflation?) I want something that will cover me for 15-20 lacs in 20 years for example (no exact calculation just an example)

Thanks,
HR
hell_raiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2016, 15:38   #335
BHPian
 
adhiraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: BLR/CCU
Posts: 62
Thanked: 4 Times
Default re: Health insurance queries? Ask me!

Hi guys,

My friend is going in for a small surgery and will be discharged next day.
He is going fior cashless option of mediassist.
I will be there with him to get all the hospital formalities done (we are both first timers regarding hospital documentation).
Would be wonderful if anyone can give some pointers on:
1. the documents to be checked while admission
2. Documents to be collected while discharge

Asking so that there is no issue while submitting the papers for reveiw from mediassist.

Also apart from copayment and other non med costs, he has been told by the hospital that they will take a Rs5000 deposit and will return after a period of 80 days. Its like an insurance for them. Is this a standard practice?
Thanks
adhiraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2016, 20:26   #336
BHPian
 
varun.ppl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 151
Thanked: 64 Times
Default re: Health insurance queries? Ask me!

Sorry Guys, was going through a lot of drama (personally, no haven't got hitched) and professionally (on a project)

Would get into all the queries and reply back over the coming weekend. Please accept my sincerest of apologies for the long wait.

Please, do shoot your queries, if any, would get back to pace.
varun.ppl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2016, 20:32   #337
BHPian
 
varun.ppl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 151
Thanked: 64 Times
Default re: Health insurance queries? Ask me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhiraj View Post
Hi guys,

My friend is going in for a small surgery and will be discharged next day.
He is going fior cashless option of mediassist.
I will be there with him to get all the hospital formalities done (we are both first timers regarding hospital documentation).
Would be wonderful if anyone can give some pointers on:
1. the documents to be checked while admission
2. Documents to be collected while discharge

Asking so that there is no issue while submitting the papers for reveiw from mediassist.

Also apart from copayment and other non med costs, he has been told by the hospital that they will take a Rs5000 deposit and will return after a period of 80 days. Its like an insurance for them. Is this a standard practice?
Thanks
Hi Adi,

If your friend has a cashless card (which he would've, considering he has medical policy), he just needs to product the Pre-Auth (i.e. from the insurer, this is typically an estimate that the insurance company is willing/bound to pay) and his cashless card. Nothing else, maybe an identity proof, that's it.

Any kind of security deposit is a strict no, and even if you do give, please 80 days is way too high. Ask your TPA, i.e. Mediassist to talk to the insurance company as that kind of thing isn't mentioned in your policy copy.

Hope this helps.
varun.ppl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2016, 20:35   #338
BHPian
 
varun.ppl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 151
Thanked: 64 Times
Default re: Health insurance queries? Ask me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_raiser View Post
Hi guys,

I wanted to get your advice on which policy I should buy:
- I am an NRI and plan to be for along time.
- Will eventually move to India so wanted to get one now
- About to turn the big 30 so would be great to get it before then to avail of the lower premium

Questions:
- As an NRI can I buy medical insurance in India?
- Is there a policy where the total cover increases with age (and inflation?) I want something that will cover me for 15-20 lacs in 20 years for example (no exact calculation just an example)

Thanks,
HR
Almost all policies would cover an NRI, don't worry on that. Just to set the expectations right, your premium vary as per your age, typically the premiums are revised on 36 years, 46 years and then every 5 years. But hey, right now is a good time.

Have a good plan for your requirements, eyes closed go for Religare Care with NCB (it covers inflation protection to the T), provides you with a no claim bonus of 60% every year for the first two years and then 10% for the next 3 years.

So apparently, your 5 Lacs sum insured today, would become 12.5 Lacs in 5 years.
varun.ppl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2016, 08:54   #339
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 69
Thanked: 15 Times
Default re: Health insurance queries? Ask me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by varun.ppl View Post
Almost all policies would cover an NRI, don't worry on that.

Have a good plan for your requirements, eyes closed go for Religare Care with NCB (it covers inflation protection to the T), provides you with a no claim bonus of 60% every year for the first two years and then 10% for the next 3 years.
Thanks a lot for the response! Love the NCB part of the plan.

One additional question. If I take up citizenship of another country in the next few years, does that impact the coverage. I would still probably go back to India eventually.

Thanks again! This was awesome.

HR
hell_raiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2016, 12:18   #340
BHPian
 
varun.ppl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 151
Thanked: 64 Times
Default re: Health insurance queries? Ask me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_raiser View Post
Thanks a lot for the response! Love the NCB part of the plan.

One additional question. If I take up citizenship of another country in the next few years, does that impact the coverage. I would still probably go back to India eventually.

Thanks again! This was awesome.

HR
Till the time you keep paying the premium, there are no issues whatsoever, but yes, your coverage would be limited only when you're present in India.
varun.ppl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2016, 11:35   #341
BHPian
 
alter.e.go's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 132
Thanked: 50 Times
Default re: Health insurance queries? Ask me!

Was looking for a policy for my self ( mid 30's)

Most of these commission based agent are suggesting Religare.Cigna,Max Bupa,Appolo Which caused me to take a closer look into it.
Post about a week of reading Id say, the claim settlement ratio is the most important thing. Whats the point of some fancy complicated top up's et al when the main thing is not being settled

These private insurers pay commission to agents and then make a fuss to pay the claim to you (when you need it most)

This ought to help you evaluate

https://www.mintwise.com/blog/claim-...ce-india-2014/

http://www.basunivesh.com/2015/01/12...lth-insurance/

Last edited by alter.e.go : 9th March 2016 at 11:35. Reason: typo
alter.e.go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2016, 21:54   #342
BHPian
 
Hunter3077's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Vishakhapatnam
Posts: 53
Thanked: 69 Times
Default re: Health insurance queries? Ask me!

Hello guys. Great thread. I wonder if there's any topic under the sun that's not covered in the team bhp forum. This place is an absolute force multiplier.

Coming to my query, I am looking for a health insurance policy for my in laws who are in the age group of 60-65. Both are diabetic and have quite a few ancillary health issues as well.

What would be an optimum health insurance policy that would suit the requirement and is there a chance that diabetes related issues could be covered under the policy? I never have bothered about health insurance as Army caters for self and family but unfortunately in laws do not come under the dependent column and they are the ones who need it most.

Thanks and Regards
Hunter3077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2016, 22:39   #343
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Chennai
Posts: 17
Thanked: 4 Times
Default re: Health insurance queries? Ask me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by varun.ppl View Post
Sorry Guys, was going through a lot of drama (personally, no haven't got hitched) and professionally (on a project)

Would get into all the queries and reply back over the coming weekend. Please accept my sincerest of apologies for the long wait.

Please, do shoot your queries, if any, would get back to pace.
Hi Varun,

Hope you are doing good!

I am currently researching on health insurance for my wife (30 years) and son (4 years) who are in Chennai. They were with me in USA till May 24th 2016. My wife is 2 months pregnant and the expected due date is in January of 2017.

I am trying to find a maternity policy for her, but most of them mentioned 9 months as waiting period. Does this mean her hospitalization expenses in January (which will happen in approx. 7 months) will not be covered?

What would be the best maternity policy that will cover existing pregnancy? Or let me know if at all there is one that covers existing pregnancy?

Thanks for your help,
Veera

EDIT: Just chatted with ICICI Lombard folks, looks like they will not cover existing pregnancy.

Last edited by krish_veera : 15th June 2016 at 23:08. Reason: Including more information
krish_veera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2016, 18:58   #344
BHPian
 
varun.ppl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 151
Thanked: 64 Times
Default re: Health insurance queries? Ask me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish_veera View Post
Hi Varun,

Hope you are doing good!

I am currently researching on health insurance for my wife (30 years) and son (4 years) who are in Chennai. They were with me in USA till May 24th 2016. My wife is 2 months pregnant and the expected due date is in January of 2017.

I am trying to find a maternity policy for her, but most of them mentioned 9 months as waiting period. Does this mean her hospitalization expenses in January (which will happen in approx. 7 months) will not be covered?

What would be the best maternity policy that will cover existing pregnancy? Or let me know if at all there is one that covers existing pregnancy?

Thanks for your help,
Veera

EDIT: Just chatted with ICICI Lombard folks, looks like they will not cover existing pregnancy.
Hi Veera,

Regret the delayed response, but yes, maternity would only be covered with a minimum waiting period of 9 months by "Religare Joy Today" plan which in all honesty is quite expensive.

Also, to consider the fact of maternity coverage in health insurance is a sham to say the least. Typically, maternity for a normal delivery is covered upto 30-35K and for C-Sec upto 50K. A decent hospital's maternity charges would set you back by about 80-100K. So, eventually you end up spending 40-60K from your own pocket.

I'm not sure, but here it is. In case you've an employer provided health coverage, you can make a claim in that for maternity (provided your employer has taken that feature). No out of pocket expenses there. Hope it helps.

Cheers!
Varun
varun.ppl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2016, 20:52   #345
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Chennai
Posts: 17
Thanked: 4 Times
Default re: Health insurance queries? Ask me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by varun.ppl View Post
Hi Veera,

Regret the delayed response, but yes, maternity would only be covered with a minimum waiting period of 9 months by "Religare Joy Today" plan which in all honesty is quite expensive.

Also, to consider the fact of maternity coverage in health insurance is a sham to say the least. Typically, maternity for a normal delivery is covered upto 30-35K and for C-Sec upto 50K. A decent hospital's maternity charges would set you back by about 80-100K. So, eventually you end up spending 40-60K from your own pocket.

I'm not sure, but here it is. In case you've an employer provided health coverage, you can make a claim in that for maternity (provided your employer has taken that feature). No out of pocket expenses there. Hope it helps.

Cheers!
Varun
Hi Varun,

Thanks a lot for your response. Much appreciated.

I am currently in the US and since they moved to India, I removed them from my insurance. I don't think I will be able to claim Indian Medical expenses from here.

Thanks for the help though.

Veera
krish_veera is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me rjvora_2000 Indian Car Loans & Insurance 3957 20th November 2017 14:38
Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section rocksterraghu In-Car Entertainment 769 14th November 2017 11:37
Group Health Insurance in USA airbender Shifting gears 0 16th March 2011 21:10
P-150 classic for sale .What can i ask for jango Motorbikes 1 31st March 2006 12:51


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:13.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks