Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 16th September 2009, 01:51   #16
BHPian

Hence i asked the question.

If you are looking to import scrap metal from cars let me know. I can ship it to you.

pm me if you want to discuss further.

Thanks
allana13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 10:21   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by allana13 View Post
Hence i asked the question.

If you are looking to import scrap metal from cars let me know. I can ship it to you.

pm me if you want to discuss further.

Thanks
Ok PM sent. BTW we need heavy melting scrap, scrap metal from car bodies is too light and will float around on the liquid metal adding to melting time.
spawnofsatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 17:23   #18
BHPian

@racingmachine: Its still not clear from your post or maybe I must have missed out on something but could you clarify your term of import/export?

Would you like to get into manufacturing of items (finished products) which you could export overseas and import raw material used for the products which you will be maufacturing inland OR will you be a Forwarder (Logistics & Supply chain Solution).

If you would like to get into manufacturing then you need to narrow down on products which interests you & clients requirements. Many things which adds to manufacturing, thou I'm not from this feild but few would be labour, place, raw material etc.etc..

If you would like to get in forwarding (Logistics), you would require CHA license for clearing goods at airports for docks I'm not sure which license is required. You need to be IATA certified to export commodities via air cargo and most importantly a good network of agent overseas to clear parcel at destinations.

Thou, i would recommend the latter as investment would be minimum and would require only your sales skills and network with clients & airlines to maxamize your profits.

P.S. Its only my personal opinion and experience in the field of logistics had put forward my thoughts. I highly recommend you speak to your family and friends before deciding which field to choose.

Cheers!!
Eq.
Sha09mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2010, 16:24   #19
BHPian

I know this is an old thread, I want to import 3 tools from Italy, the combined weight is 120kg packed on a pallet, value approx Rs70k, for me this will be a one time import, which will probably come via air cargo.
Does anyone know how I can import these without the trouble of applying for an IEC (Import export code)? or is this really essential, i was thinking that iec is only required if you are going into business of importing or exporting, which i am not. Can anyone advise how this stuff works?

Cheers,

Stefan
stefanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2010, 18:32   #20
BHPian

Default Torches for personal use : customs clearance conundrum - please advise

Lads,

here, but I need advice.

I am to buy torches (flashlights) for personal use from Germany. The manufacturer, who is also the supplier says that I have to get the consignment (just two torches!) cleared through Customs and pay duties.

My question is :

The price for the torches is approx. 100 Euros. The airfreight cost is 100 Euros.

Q1 : Is there any customs duty to be paid for such a small import? That too for personal use?
Q2 :Why is the cost of airfreight so high, relative to the cost of the consignment? Actually the airfreight is costing me more that the torches. Can't it be couriered?
Q3 : Is there any quick way to get this cleared from Customs in Bombay?

These products are also available on ebay and I am certain ebay won't make me go to the Customs in Bombay to get clearance and pay duties; only that ebay stocks second hand stuff.

Advice and inputs on my three questions will be very helpful.

Regards
issigonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2010, 19:00   #21
BHPian

You are in a similar dilema to me, your best option as I understand is to send via courier, you may or may not attract customs duty, I was told packages of 35kg or less via courier is no real problem, my problem is that the goods i require total to 120kgs and require to be packed on a pallet and are for use by ourselves, not for resale.
Old 22nd August 2010, 21:27   #22
Senior - BHPian

70 k will attract customs for sure. Max limit for customs free import is 10,000 Rs that too if

1. its for personal use
2. has proper invoice with package
3. Is marked as "Gift"

@issigonis

This can be brought in duty free since value is less than 10k. Or easiest way is to pay more and get UPS/Fedex etc to handle shipping + customs for you. You will get a single quote for shipping + customs and in most cases you get your package in 3 - 4 days.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2010, 11:34   #23
BHPian

[/quote][/quote][quote=NetfreakBombay;2037978]70 k will attract customs for sure. Max limit for customs free import is 10,000 Rs that too if

1. its for personal use
3. Is marked as "Gift"

Netfreakbombay, i am not trying to evade the duty, just not sure if i need the iec number, as i'm not going into the import/export business, as i stated above this is a one time only import, with a value of Rs70,000, i don't mind paying the duty, just don't want to attract a fine, plus obtaining an iec number could be problematic for me.

Stefan

Last edited by stefanm : 23rd August 2010 at 11:36.
Old 23rd August 2010, 18:03   #24
Senior - BHPian

Best bet would be to give a call to UPS. They will send you documentation that you need to complete.
Old 23rd August 2010, 18:57   #25
BHPian

UPS is a no no, they want 80k-111k just to send by air, the manufacturer of the product had quoted euros 350 (Rs 21k) by air or euros 250 (Rs 15k) by sea both to Bombay, still have to transport it down to Goa, still looks like my wife will have to apply for an IEC number, she's not happy about that!
Old 23rd August 2010, 19:06   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
70 k will attract customs for sure. Max limit for customs free import is 10,000 Rs that too if

1. its for personal use
3. Is marked as "Gift"

@issigonis

This can be brought in duty free since value is less than 10k. Or easiest way is to pay more and get UPS/Fedex etc to handle shipping + customs for you. You will get a single quote for shipping + customs and in most cases you get your package in 3 - 4 days.
>>> NetfreakBombay,

Thank you for your insight.

> The total weight of the two torches combined will be around 600 gms=0.6 kg.
> The cost based on Euro to Rupee exchange rate will come to Rs 5900/-

So, do you suggest that I speak to the supplier to invoice it for the above value and courier it by UPS ( or since its Germany, DHL)?

If I do this way, will I avoid the hassle of a customs clearance? Please note that the torches are for personal use only.

Regards
Old 24th August 2010, 06:13   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanm View Post
UPS is a no no, they want 80k-111k just to send by air, the manufacturer of the product had quoted euros 350 (Rs 21k) by air or euros 250 (Rs 15k) by sea both to Bombay, still have to transport it down to Goa, still looks like my wife will have to apply for an IEC number, she's not happy about that!
Yes UPS is expensive. Idea is NOT to use UPS, but to open an account with UPS (free) and get list of requirements + quote (inclusive of customs) from UPS.

Based on that you can deal with any other IMPEX house in Mumbai. Just search for one in justdial.com.

If UPS does not require you to get IEC, others can do your job as well (I.e. without IEC).

Only difference is, they will ship by sea and customs will be cleared once item reaches India. So, overall it will take longer but will cost WAY less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
So, do you suggest that I speak to the supplier to invoice it for the above value and courier it by UPS ( or since its Germany, DHL)?

If I do this way, will I avoid the hassle of a customs clearance? Please note that the torches are for personal use only.
DHL UPS etc would not allow item to be shipped as GIFT, so you might pay 1500 - 2k as duty. But it is hassle free.

To get it as duty free seller will have to ship from Govt mail (with insurance to be safe) and mark as Gift and attach invoice on cover so that parcel is not opened.

But still customs can hold it for couple of weeks. See me experience in this post:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1425549-post33.html
Old 24th August 2010, 16:28   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
DHL UPS etc would not allow item to be shipped as GIFT, so you might pay 1500 - 2k as duty. But it is hassle free.

To get it as duty free seller will have to ship from Govt mail (with insurance to be safe) and mark as Gift and attach invoice on cover so that parcel is not opened.

But still customs can hold it for couple of weeks. See me experience in this post:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1425549-post33.html
>>> NetfreakBombay,

My understanding is that using DHL/UPS will cost more because they will handle shipping and customs clearance so there will be charges for both. But customs duty will be zero as cost of merchandise is below Rs 10k. Am I correct?

As the merchandise won't be marked as gift, what will the merchandise be referred to? It is meant for personal use.

Regards
Old 24th August 2010, 20:42   #29
BHPian

Default Clothes

Just posted this in the carrer change thread as well.

Now that I saw this thread on Export / Import.
What do you guys think of Exporting clothes.

I stumbled upon a garment distributor last week - through a friend.
He is a wholesaler and has a retail outlet too. not far from my house.

Here is the thing.

The shirts I purchased from him ( more like a pilot buy ) were excellent. And the price was very reasonable as he manufactures them himself.

I thought to myself why not me buy some of these shirts in bulk ( get it even more cheaper perhaps) and sell it.

I plan to buy em and sell em at a marginal profit. For me the more people come to know of it at least initially, is of primary importance.

Now is where I need advise from some of you seasoned business men.

How do I take this forward ?
Where do I advertise ? ebay / any other alternative.
alter.e.go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2010, 21:21   #30
BHPian

Start on a small quantity and sell it online.

If possible try & rent a small space in a nearby Grocery store & Stick the stuff on there for sale.

Give the shop keeper s few bob or a % cut

Work out you numbers very carefully.

Cheers
allana13 is offline   Reply With Quote