Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 2nd April 2016, 22:18   #1621
BHPian

Question The Food Thread!

I just want to know about some of these synthetic colors and preservatives which are part of ready to eat/drink food we consume.

Today, bought a bottle of popular drink 'Tang' and saw it contains synthetic color 171. On deciphering that on net, got to know it stands for 'Titanium Oxide'.

What are the effects of these chemicals on our body?
Is it safer in smaller amounts OR we better off avoiding these temptations!
JMaruru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2016, 22:49   #1622
BHPian

Default Re: The Food Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
I just want to know about some of these synthetic colors and preservatives which are part of ready to eat/drink food we consume.

Today, bought a bottle of popular drink 'Tang' and saw it contains synthetic color 171. On deciphering that on net, got to know it stands for 'Titanium Oxide'.

What are the effects of these chemicals on our body?
Is it safer in smaller amounts OR we better off avoiding these temptations!
Abstain completely- it's crazy. I hear Qatar has already banned this product. As someone who grew up in the Middle East, this was considered the 'elixir of life'.
jacobvarughese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2016, 13:42   #1623
Senior - BHPian

The amount and the kind of chemicals we pump into our body through consumption of so called safe food is humongous. Most cereals,pulses, fruits and vegetables are grown using harmful pesticides. Also milk and eggs contain lots of antibiotics and growth hormones. Water we drink is highly contaminated with dissolved chemicals and impurities that are not filtered by the normal filtration units we have at home. They need RO units and even then particles <25 microns will escape these units too. Air we breathe is so polluted, especially in the metros that 9 out of 10 people >60 years of age have some respiratory problems or the other. There isn't one item in what we eat (Even at home) that is free of harmful chemicals. Unless we buy from a genuine organic source which you vouch personally. Not the ones so called organic items that you now-a-days get at some premium stores.

I do not want to create a panic among BHPans but this is reality we are facing today. All this is leading to increased cases of Cancer among Indians who are in their 40s and 50s as well as higher rate of heart, liver and kidney diseases. Can we avoid all this. Yes and No. Yes if you can personally grow everything you eat or personally ensure that the items you eat are organically grown.

I am not even talking of what our restaurants do. That is a whole story and if you know it then you will stop eating out completely.
DieselFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2016, 22:09   #1624
BHPian

To be honest I find this obsession with contamination in foodstuff ironic. We are surrounded by contamination, in fact we are drowning in it as some writers have remarked.

Whether it is under the several miles thick mantle of ice in the Antarctic, where scientists were taken by surprise to find molecules of hydrocarbon from man-made fuels (dont ask me how they distinguished these from natural hydrocarbon molecules!).

Or whether it is in the planet's surface atmosphere, where it seems we are drowning in an ocean of man-made electro-magnetic radiation.

For all the organic food buffs among us (me included.....sometimes!) it comes as no surprise that food grown and nourished by organically made compost and manure in supposedly uncontaminated patches of earth..... are riddled with the same molecules of synthetic fertilizer as those bought in regular markets.

There is no escape - we are trapped on this planet with all its man-made debris & flotsam! So, lets stop worrying unduly. As the doctors advise us, let's wash our hands and brush our teeth and continue enjoying the fabulous street-food we all love.

No amount of sterilized existence is going to make our lives longer or shorter - as good old Omar said "The moving finger writes & having writ moves on........."
shashanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2016, 22:27   #1625
BHPian

Default re: Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs

Hello Aroy,

You're a man after my own heart! Finally I've found someone on this forum with an attitude towards good food as forthright & down-to-earth as it should be. I'll be following your recipes on this thread with great interest - and as someone has already remarked, your biryanis look like a million dollars! Great going!
Old 4th April 2016, 11:15   #1626
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
Hello Aroy,

You're a man after my own heart! Finally I've found someone on this forum with an attitude towards good food as forthright & down-to-earth as it should be. I'll be following your recipes on this thread with great interest - and as someone has already remarked, your biryanis look like a million dollars! Great going!
Thanks a lot.

I have been thinking of all the "idiotic" food restrictions propounded mainly by American Research. What I find interesting, is that most of the "research" is not only ill conceived, but the statistics are of small sample sizes (which is meaningless) and you can get any result you want.

What I find relevant is the traditional food habits from around the world. The culinary habits vary from loads of fat and red meat to strictly vegan diet, and very few if any suffered from Diabetes, Heart problems, Hypertension and other diseases killing millions today. So in short I eat fat, sugar and rice but in moderation. Our traditional food habits with five to ten items (all in small quantities) really make sense as each item takes care of one side of nutrition.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2016, 11:11   #1627
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Aroy, I have been making cooking for about 5 years now, and have tried lots of different items. Biryani however, has been of keen interest to me and I have tried it very many times. Last Sunday, I followed the recipe and precises cooking tips and instructions given by you for Chicken Biryani. Man I was completely bowled over by the outcome! Simply fantastic.. Thank you very much for the recipe
aravind.anand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2016, 16:36   #1628
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Thanks a lot.
I have been thinking of all the "idiotic" food restrictions propounded mainly by American Research. What I find interesting, is that most of the "research" is not only ill conceived, but the statistics are of small sample sizes (which is meaningless) and you can get any result you want.
What I find relevant is the traditional food habits from around the world. The culinary habits vary from loads of fat and red meat to strictly vegan diet, and very few if any suffered from Diabetes, Heart problems, Hypertension and other diseases killing millions today. So in short I eat fat, sugar and rice but in moderation. Our traditional food habits with five to ten items (all in small quantities) really make sense as each item takes care of one side of nutrition.
You've said it all! And I heartily agree. Like my grandmother used to say (may her soul rest in peace), eat seasonal produce, both fruits and vegetables. She never wasted a thing - the skins left over after peeling potatoes, laukis etc (all veggies needing to be peeled) she would cook into totally mouth-watering preparations, using the most basic of ingredients. Among her favourite add-ons was small brine shrimp, which she would add to the above mix and the result was ambrosia - fit for the gods! She came from East Bengal and was a gem in the kitchen, ruling with an iron hand! No doubt her recipes (she made stupendous mustard hilsa and 'kosha mangsho' too (rather like 'bhuna gosht' to the uninitiated)) were more parochial and reflective of her roots, but for me she was always the crown jewel!
Her talents did not end there either - it was she who introduced me to J.M. Barrie's 'Peter Pan' and later to P.G.Wodehouse (at a time when I showed signs of addiction to Westerns of the Max Brand variety!)

"So in short I eat fat, sugar and rice but in moderation" - In those words you've captured the essence of a healthy, happy existence!

Last edited by shashanka : 6th April 2016 at 16:41. Reason: composition
Old 7th April 2016, 11:52   #1629
Team-BHP Support

Two simple chutney recipes from my kitchen:

bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2016, 18:32   #1630
Senior - BHPian

What is the secret to making the crispyness of onion bhaji/pakoras last? When it's hot, it's crisp - however, after an hour or so, it becomes soft. No water was added to the besan while making it.
carboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2016, 16:38   #1631
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
What is the secret to making the crispyness of onion bhaji/pakoras last? When it's hot, it's crisp - however, after an hour or so, it becomes soft. No water was added to the besan while making it.
make sure you add a bit of baking powder. ALso deep fry paloras with low to medium flame.not on high flame.

Last edited by DieselFan : 2nd May 2016 at 16:40.
DieselFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2016, 16:42   #1632
Team-BHP Support

Some more of my recipes:

bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2016, 05:14   #1633
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
make sure you add a bit of baking powder. ALso deep fry paloras with low to medium flame.not on high flame.
Baking soda or baking powder? How much to add?
carboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2016, 06:48   #1634
Senior - BHPian

Wicked Fish Fry-my way...(A slight variation of Kerala Fish Fry)

Ingredients:
6 Medium cut slices of Fresh Seer Fish.
Half a 100gm pack of Fish Fry Masala (sold by Eastern Foods or similar) Use only the Kerala Fish Masala as far as possible. Nothing else tastes quite as good.
1 heaped tablespoon Turmeric
1 heaped tablespoon Red Chilli Powder
1 level tablespoon salt
3 Heaped Tablespoons of Rava/ Sooji
Approx 50-70ml of Fresh Coconut oil

Preparation:
Wash the Fish slices gently and dry them off using a paper towel and place on a large platter
Mix the masala batter ingredients nicely while pouring the fresh coconut oil over the mixture, to create a thick, viscous paste.
Coat each fish slice well, with the paste once ready.
Leave to marinate for about 1.5 hours

Cooking:
Use a nice medium sized Wok
Pour approx 1.5 inches of Fresh Coconut oil and heat till it bubbles and sings.
Slide one Fish slice at a time into the hot oil and allow it to fry for about 3.5 minutes.
When the fish has achieved a deep reddish brown shade, take it out while draining the excess oil from the surface and place on a paper towel on a large platter.
Repeat till all the slices are fried.

Serve with the following Accompaniments:
Slice 2 Onions into rings, 2 green chilies diced longitudinally and 2 lemons halved. Add half a fresh ripe mango diced into neat square chunks and create a simple salad.
Plain Yellow Dal Tadka with a small stem of curry Leaves, one or two longitudinally sliced Green chillies and either Jeera or Mustard tadka depending on your taste. Garnish the Dal with coriander if required.
Plain white Basmati rice

The neutrality of the above, sets off the character and taste of the fish.

Lastly, ZIMBLY WALLOP it!
Attached Images

Last edited by shankar.balan : 3rd May 2016 at 06:54.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2016, 11:17   #1635
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Chutney
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Some more of my recipes:
Chugur
BBlost,

I don't understand the first thing about cooking. I tried. I failed. I learnt that I need to restrict myself to boiling water in an electric kettle and using the "aqua guard". However I do understand good food (who doesn't). I used to live close the CIA in Rhinebeck NY and there I learnt that plating is almost as important as the cooking itself (I did not cook I just used to eat the food). That said, if we look at the 2 videos above, the first dish looked better plated than the second.

I would put the rice in a dish or a mould, add some colour using steamed veggies, and chop the chicken into smaller cubes. See links below.
https://yakitatemoment.files.wordpre...10/plating.jpg
http://www.pepper.ph/wp-content/uplo...-Salpicao1.jpg

Last edited by bblost : 3rd May 2016 at 11:50. Reason: removed embedded videos. thanks.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote