Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 18th August 2016, 11:45   #1666
BHPian

Default Re: Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
Please share your recepie sir. I would love to try this at home.
Sure Girimajiananth. My recipe is a mish mash or rather inspired from recipes across multiple websites!

Ingredients :

Whole wheat flour - 2 cups
Dry Active yeast - 1/2 tbsp
Butter - 1 tbsp
Water - 3/4th cup
Yogurt/curd - 2 tbsp
Milk - just for brushing the top of loaf before baking.
Salt - 1 tbsp
Sugar - 1 tbsp

Procedure :
1. Warm the water but do not bring it to boil. Add the dry active yeast and sugar. Stir it and keep it aside for yeast to activate. Takes about 10 mins
2. Mix the wheat flour and salt. Add the yeast mixture, butter (you can use ghee or oil instead of butter), yogurt & water. Mix the ingredients adding water if required.
3. Knead the dough till you get a smooth dough. It should not tear when you stretch.
4. Keep this aside for 2 hours in an airtight bowl, or any bowl but cover it with a lid.
5. After 2 hours, you would see that dough would have slightly risen. Take it out and knead it lightly. Roll it into the bread loaf shape tucking the edges down. Keep this in a greased pan (use the one which you will keep inside oven/microwave). Cover this loaf pan and leave it aside for 1 to 1.5 hours.
6. Pre heat the oven to 220 degrees C for 20 mins. Place the loaf pan in the oven and bake for 25-30 mins (or until the bread sounds hollow when you tap on it)
8. Take the bread out when slightly hot itself and keep it on a wire rack for it to cool down. Slice it and serve or keep it wrapped in a clingwrap to serve later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Eggs are never used in bread-making! If you use eggs you are making cake!
Actually no. A friend of mine (and many recipes as well) uses eggs to make bread.

Ex: http://www.jennycancook.com/recipes/...e-wheat-bread/

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
You are actually correct.

Whole wheat flour ==> Atta
Wheat flour ==> Maida
Carboy, it was unintentional but I will take it that I was correct!
TorqueyTechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2016, 12:41   #1667
Senior - BHPian

Guys, what is the best way to keep snack items like Samosas, Batata Vadas etc fresh for 12-14 hours.

Is there some kind of container/wrapping paper which is best suited for this purpose?
carboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2016, 20:13   #1668
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, what is the best way to keep snack items like Samosas, Batata Vadas etc fresh for 12-14 hours.

Is there some kind of container/wrapping paper which is best suited for this purpose?
For travelling or at home? If at home, keep in the fridge wrapped in foil and then re-heat in a convection oven, open, not wrapped in foil.
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2016, 20:35   #1669
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

This is tricky, as any wrap will trap the moisture resulting in a very soggy piece.

I have found that cooling the piece under fan gets rid of most moisture. After that wrap in normal paper, so that any further moisture is absorbed, and finally put in a plastic bag or container. Keeping this in refrigerator will avoid spoilage in hot weather.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2016, 21:33   #1670
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For travelling or at home? If at home, keep in the fridge wrapped in foil and then re-heat in a convection oven, open, not wrapped in foil.
Not at home, while travelling.
Old 27th August 2016, 21:57   #1671
BHPian

Quote:

While traveling, you could do the same, wrapped in foil or something and then when you stop, open the hood, put it on the engine for a while
Have known someone who has done that. It's nice with the engine heat.
GranvilleDsouza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2016, 21:57   #1672
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In that case there is only an expensive solution the adoption of which is entirely dependent on how much you love your samosas and batata vadas!
http://www.ebay.in/itm/232001101471?aff_source=Sok-Goog
Old 28th August 2016, 02:34   #1673
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranvilleDsouza View Post
While traveling, you could do the same, wrapped in foil or something and then when you stop, open the hood, put it on the engine for a while
Have known someone who has done that. It's nice with the engine heat.

Quote:
In that case there is only an expensive solution the adoption of which is entirely dependent on how much you love your samosas and batata vadas!
http://www.ebay.in/itm/232001101471?aff_source=Sok-Goog
Not travelling in a car.
Old 28th August 2016, 11:48   #1674
Senior - BHPian

Samosas and other soft fried snacks do not keep well while travelling, they get soggy and spoil fast. That is why harder fried stuff is preferred - Kachori, Chevda etc.

For main meal the all time favourite with travelers is parothas and achar. Both keep well in our hot climate.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2016, 10:30   #1675
BHPian

What do you do when there is lot of banana's left at home because of the festivities! You either make a fruit salad (boring) or think of making something different. Well I tried to make muffins out of 'em lot! Didnt come out as expected but it does taste ok (not as great as what you get outside though! ).

Sharing few pics of the same!

Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-img_4821.jpg

Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-img_4825.jpg

Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-img_4824.jpg
Old 12th September 2016, 12:37   #1676
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post

Sharing few pics of the same!
Sirji - not a photography thread. How did the banana become a muffin - a detailed explanation of the process is a must here (or you want to keep that a secret!!!?)
mallumowgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2016, 12:43   #1677
Senior - BHPian

For roasting, grilling and pot roasting, is a microwave oven good enough, or is it better to go for an Oven instead? Googled and found out few key differences on how these two work and other things, but what those google results aren't telling is -
- which of these two would give me better juicy chicken dishes
- which of these is more suited for tandoori recipes
- which of these will give me scope to make my own pizza
- can I still use an oven for re-heating, like we use the microwave ?
- will an oven consume significantly more power than the microwave?
- can ovens make simple dishes like the ready-made noodles that we can do in the microwave?

views from experts please
aravind.anand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2016, 13:00   #1678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Sirji - not a photography thread. How did the banana become a muffin - a detailed explanation of the process is a must here (or you want to keep that a secret!!!?)
Oops sorry. My mistake. I missed typing the recipe as was being called for Kapi by my colleagues. Here is the recipe (which in no way is a secret!! )

Ingredients :
1. Whole wheat flour - 1.5 cups
2. Baking powder - 1 tbsp
3. Baking soda - 1/2 tbsp
4. Salt - A pinch
5. Sugar - 1/2 cup
6. Oil/butter - 1/2 cup
7. Vanilla powder/essence - to taste (I used 1 tbsp). You can also use any other flavour.
8. Banana - I had small ones at home and so used 7 of them.

Recipe : I have done in microwave oven in convection mode. I think for normal ovens the procedure should be same.

1. Line the muffin tray with muffin liners. Preheat the oven to 180 deg c for 15 mins.
2. In the meantime, smash the banana and sugar together in a bowl until it becomes smooth. You can also use mixer to get this done.
3. Add oil/melted butter to this mixture along with vanilla powder and mix properly.
4. Now in another bowl mix the wheat flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda together.
5. To the above mixture, add the smoothened banana mixture and using a spatula try to mix it . No need of mixing it heavily. Just make sure all the ingredients are mixed properly. Mixture should not be very dry/runny. Consistency should be similar like a thick gravy.
6. Pour this mixture into the moulds upto 80% of the liners. Add toppings which you like. I added raisins.
7. Place the mould inside the oven and start baking. The baking time might vary. I baked mine for around 30 mins. Used the toothpick method to confirm if the baking is complete.
8. Once the baking is done, remove the mould from the oven and keep it aside for cooling down.
9. Once warm or at room temperature, enjoy the muffins!
Old 12th September 2016, 20:39   #1679
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
For roasting, grilling and pot roasting, is a microwave oven good enough, or is it better to go for an Oven instead? ....
Roasting and grilling are best done in a conventional oven. In fact, I'd say it should not be a fan oven like all microwave ovens with convection heating function. Fan ovens tend to dry out the food.
Each type of oven has specific strengths and a combo oven is always a compromise.
Old 14th September 2016, 14:18   #1680
BHPian

Yesterday I tried to make apple pie at home. The taste was good though the filling was less. Number of apples should have been more. But the end result was liked by everyone at home. Sharing the recipe and pics of the same.

Time taken : 1.5 hours (including baking)
Ingredients :
1. Whole wheat flour - 1.5 cup
2. Maida/All purpose flour - 1/2 cup
3. Olive oil -1/4 cup
4. Salt - 1/2 tbsp
5. Sugar - 2 tbsp
6. Apples - Remove the skin, core it and slice it into thin pieces. I used 2 apples but better to use 3. Also preferable to use green apple.
7. Cardamom powder - To taste
8. Nutmeg powder - To taste
9. Elaichi (powdered) - To taste
10. Water - 1/3 cup
11. Whole wheat flour - 2 tbsp

Recipe/Steps :
1. Mix the whole wheat flour, maida flour and salt together thoroughly.
2. To this mixture add the oil and mix it using hand until the mixture is sandy. (The mixture should not be bound together or should have lumps. it should be granular like sand)
3. Now add the water for binding this mixture. Do not overdo the binding. Just make sure the entire mixture is bound and the dough holds together.
4. Pre heat oven to 180 deg C for 15 mins.
5. Mix the sliced apples, 2 tbsp of wheat flour, elaichi, nutmeg, cardamom, sugar together properly. Apples should have a coating of this mixture. Keep it aside.
6. Cut the dough into 2 equal parts ( or to more parts depending on the size of the pan. I used a big pan and hence made into 2 parts).
7. Roll one part of the dough like a roti. Keep it aside putting a wet cloth on top of it so that it will not dry out.
8. Do the same as step 7 with the other part of the dough.
9. Coat the pan with ghee/butter/oil. Keep one rolled dough on the pan and stick the dough properly onto the sides of the pan.
10. Place the apple slices now inside this. Spread the slices evenly across the pan.
11. Place the other rolled dough on top of this like a covering. Roll up the sides of both dough locking the contents inside. Using a knife, create some cut marks on top of this pie for the steam to pass through.
12. Brush some milk on top of the pie and sprinkle some powdered sugar on top of this.
13. Bake this in the pre heated oven for close to 1 hour or until the top turns golden brown. It took 70 mins for the baking to complete in my case.
14. Once complete, keep the pie outside to cool to room temperature. Cut them into the desired shapes/sizes and enjoy the pie.

Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-img_4829.jpg

Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-img_4830.jpg

Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-img_4831.jpg