Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 1st February 2011, 14:11   #466
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Tuna is not a fish that takes well to Indian cooking. It is available in Bangalore, but not many takers. I think Ford_madhan is talking about fresh tuna meat. Frozen tuna is terrible - requires very careful defrosting like frozen red meat. Being a deep sea / ocean fish, the characteristics of red meat of Tuna is different from usual white-meat fish.

Best way to eat Tuna (perhaps not for Indians) is raw. RAW, as in Japanese cuisine - Sushi and Sashimi, where these are cut fine. Or (large pieces) grilled rare as in US, served with a separate sauce. But that required *very* high levels of hygiene in the whole chain from catch to table. Tropical countries that risk is obviated by using acidic 'cold cooking' methods like the Filipinos, Thai and Indonesians do.
What about the Tuna we eat in a Subway sandwich? Is it raw or cooked? By the looks of the tuna I see on the sandwich, I think it is minced and put in the sandwich. I do not know if it is cooked or raw.
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2011, 14:36   #467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
What about the Tuna we eat in a Subway sandwich? Is it raw or cooked? By the looks of the tuna I see on the sandwich, I think it is minced and put in the sandwich. I do not know if it is cooked or raw.
By the way all tuna is cooked. What we were talking about is whether tinned (pre cooked) or fresh/frozen tuna from the fish shops. You will get raw Tuna only as "Sashami" in Japanese eateries or in Sushi.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2011, 15:29   #468
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
@Mobike: Curious to know the recipe for chicken which you had in your recent trip to sugarland UP. The pic made me super hungry
Actually, I am a lover of food but, unfortunately dont know how to cook. Infact, i dont even know how to make tea and coffee and its been ages since i went into the kitchen.

Honestly, i wouldnt be able to give you the receipe for this chicken dish except that I saw them do this ( It was pitch dark during entire preparation of this chicken and we were using torch light so the cook could continue with its preparation)

1. Wash the chicken
2. Pour oil in the vessel
3. Add, garlic, coriander, Onion, Tomato paste
4. Mix the entire paste and let it simmer for a while
5. Add chicken and turn the paste over so it gets sunk into the meat
6. Add green chillies ( Mind you, they didnt add any red mirchi powder)
7. What they did or which other ingredients they added---I dont know

Here is that picture again....
Attached Thumbnails
Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-dsc_6207.jpg  

mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2011, 18:29   #469
BHPian

Default Mutton Palak

Prepared some Mutton palak on Sunday for dinner. Came out well. Here is what i did:-

1. 1 KG of medium sized pieces of mutton pressure cooked for ~20 minutes on medium flame with 3/4th tbsp of turmeric powder, 1 tbsp of ginger garlic paste, 1 tsp of salt, very less water.

2. By the time is mutton pieces are cooked, grind 3/4th bunch of Palak, 1 tsp Jeera, 6 Red chillies, 3 Cardamoms. Remember it should turn out to be like a paste and not the watery gravy kinds.

3. 3 medium sized finely sliced Onions, 4 cloves, one and a half inch of Cinnamon, 1 Big Bay leaf, 4 Green chillies sliced into halves, couple of Curry leaves.

Method - First heat up some oil in a vessel, then add the 4 cloves, one and a half inch of Cinnamon, 1 Big Bay leaf and fry till the cloves swell up (~a minute) . Then add the 3 medium sized finely sliced Onions,4 Green chillies sliced into halves, couple of Curry leaves and fry till the onions turn brown.

Then add the cooked mutton in the vessel and cook it ~10 minutes with the onions and other stuff and saute it. Then add the palak paste, 1/2 tsp of salt and cook it for ~10 minutes and saute.

Also add little mutton soup (the water you would have used to pressure cook the mutton prices) and finely chopped coriander. Cook it for ~10 minutes till the soup has almost kinf od dried up .During this add little more salt if necessary as per taste.

Mutton Palak is ready.
Torque123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2011, 19:11   #470
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Mutton Palak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque123 View Post
Prepared some Mutton palak on Sunday for dinner. Came out well. Here is what i did:-

1. 1 KG of medium sized pieces of mutton pressure cooked for ~20 minutes on medium flame with 3/4th tbsp of turmeric powder, 1 tbsp of ginger garlic paste, 1 tsp of salt, very less water.

2. By the time is mutton pieces are cooked, grind 3/4th bunch of Palak, 1 tsp Jeera, 6 Red chillies, 3 Cardamoms. Remember it should turn out to be like a paste and not the watery gravy kinds.

3. 3 medium sized finely sliced Onions, 4 cloves, one and a half inch of Cinnamon, 1 Big Bay leaf, 4 Green chillies sliced into halves, couple of Curry leaves.

Method - First heat up some oil in a vessel, then add the 4 cloves, one and a half inch of Cinnamon, 1 Big Bay leaf and fry till the cloves swell up (~a minute) . Then add the 3 medium sized finely sliced Onions,4 Green chillies sliced into halves, couple of Curry leaves and fry till the onions turn brown.

Then add the cooked mutton in the vessel and cook it ~10 minutes with the onions and other stuff and saute it. Then add the palak paste, 1/2 tsp of salt and cook it for ~10 minutes and saute.

Also add little mutton soup (the water you would have used to pressure cook the mutton prices) and finely chopped coriander. Cook it for ~10 minutes till the soup has almost kinf od dried up .During this add little more salt if necessary as per taste.

Mutton Palak is ready.
We do it slightly different, the traditional way.

1. Marinate the mutton with curd/tomato, haldi, salt, ginger and garlic paste.
2. Fry solid masala and then add onion slices in a karhai. Fry till first oil is absorbed, and the released - the onions will be golden brown and float in oil.
3. Add mutton (no water only the marinade) once the onions are cooked, simmer till water from mutton comes out.
4. Now you have two options a) keep cooking till mutton is soft, or b)pressure cook to speed up the process.

Note total cooking time about 2 to 3 hours if done the traditional way. The advantage is that the mutton is soft but does not disintegrate. We have cooked between 1 kg and 6 kg at a time (of course the size of the vessel increases proportionately) with consistent and excellent results.

The reason for cooking the mutton with masala is to ensure that all the spices and aroma penetrate the pieces and not just the gravy.
Old 2nd February 2011, 10:43   #471
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
We do it slightly different, the traditional way. ...
Dada, where did the palak go? When do you add that?
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2011, 14:50   #472
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Dada, where did the palak go? When do you add that?
Sorry missed it. We have more or less the same method for basic curry, and add herbs if required.

Once the mutton is added to the onions, wait for some time till the mutton starts shedding water, then you can add Palak, Methi, Pudina, Dhania or any other herb to enhance the taste.

The steps are
1. Marinate mutton
2. Fry spices and then add onions.
3. Add marinated mutton to above.
4. Wait for the mutton to release water, add herbs.
5. Pressure cook for fast method, or let it cook till tender on low heat.
6. If you want a lot of curry, add it in the last half hour of cooking.

Variations

1. If you do not want to add water, cook in a covered pot.
2. If you want "Dum" taste, then cook in an earthen "Handi" with lid sealed, at extremely low heat for about 3-4 hours total. Seal the lid after adding mutton (and herbs if required together). (I use "Matka" with lid).
3. You can marinate the mutton either in Curd or Tomato, both have slightly different taste.

Though this is a recipe for mutton, you can use other meats as well. Just adjust cooking time for each meat.
Old 23rd February 2011, 17:09   #473
Senior - BHPian

Any one has recipe of Kabuli khichdi.?
SILVERWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2011, 01:25   #474
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Masala for a dosa:

Pressure cook 5 cut potatoes for 3 whistles

In a pan heat oil and add tur dal for a bit.
Add 2 cut onions to this and heat till its golden brown and then add 4 green chillies and some turmeric.
Mix and then mix the potatoes together and check for salt.

Eat with rotis if you do not have dosa batter!!
maddy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2011, 07:34   #475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Masala for a dosa:

Pressure cook 5 cut potatoes for 3 whistles

In a pan heat oil and add tur dal for a bit.
Add 2 cut onions to this and heat till its golden brown and then add 4 green chillies and some turmeric.
Mix and then mix the potatoes together and check for salt.

Eat with rotis if you do not have dosa batter!!
Are you sure it is Tur dal and not Chana dal or Urad dal. Usually these are the 2 dals we use with potato gravy or palya as we usually call. A pinch of turmeric also would be added to what you have mentioned.

There is some confusion on the masala part. Few of us refer to the red paste that you see in the masala dosa as the masala part. The Aloo gravy is not what makes it masala dosa. I may be wrong.
muni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2011, 23:34   #476
Senior - BHPian

Location: Karamattom, Aluva, Kotagiri, Yercaud, Hospet, Indore, Nashik, Pune (now)
Default Prawns Gassi

Getting back to this thread after a while.

Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-prawns_gassi.jpg

This is one Konkani/Mangalorean dish that I love. Simple to make and yet very delicious. Again, I hope this recipe is authentic. However if some friends from the Konkan coast could give their seal of approval or give the correct version of the recipe, it would be really nice.

Ingredients
  • Prawns - 500 gm (weight after cleaning and deveining)
  • One medium sized onion, finely chopped
  • 3 tbsp oil (coconut oil preferred)
  • 1 sprig of curry leaves (optional)
  • Salt, as per taste
  • Pulp extract of 1½ tbsp of tamarind (take a lemon sized tamarind ball and add it to a bowl of lukewarm water. Strain it after about 15 minutes)
  • Prawns stock/water, 2 cups
Masala Paste
  • Roasted whole Kashmiri red chillies - 10 to 15 (depending on how spicy you want it to be)
  • One medium sized onion thinly sliced
  • 2 tsp of roasted whole coriander (you can substitute with coriander powder)
  • ¼ tsp of fenugreek seeds
  • ½ tsp of turmeric powder
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds
  • 10-12 black peppercorns
  • 1 cup grated coconut (half of one medium sized coconut)
  • 8-10 garlic cloves
Grind the above into a fine paste using a little water.

Method
  • Clean the prawns and mix it with salt and set aside for a while (15-20 minutes)
  • Take a pan and add the oil
  • Once the oil is hot, add the curry leaves (optional)
  • Add the chopped onions and sauté till the onions turn slighly brown
  • Add the ground masala and fry it on medium heat till the whole mixture turns brown and the oil seperates from the masala
  • Add the tamarind extract as needed (keep tasting it so that you do not add too much or too little)
  • Add 2 cups of prawns stock or water
  • Once the mixture boils, add the prawns and salt and reduce the flame
  • Cook the prawns for about 5 minutes
Prawns stock
  • If you are buying fresh prawns, keep aside the shells, except the head, while cleaning them.
  • Wash the shells well and add them to a pan with 3-4 cups of water
  • Boil the mixture and then turn it to simmer and let it simmer for at least an hour
  • Remove the scum that may form at the top
  • Strain and you have the prawns stock. If you have excess stock, store them in the freezer and use them as required for soups and other preparations of prawns.
This goes well with white rice or naan. Enjoy! I had it for dinner tonight.

Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-prawns_gass1.jpg

-Biju

Last edited by pjbiju : 2nd March 2011 at 23:45.
pjbiju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2011, 03:21   #477
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Cool re: Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs

Well we cooked Pandi Curry or pork curry recently. Came out awesome.
Name:  Pandi Curry.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  82.8 KB

1)
Pork-1kg
Chilly powder-1 tsp
turmeric-3/4th tsp
salt-3/4th tsp

Mix these together and marinate for an hour and heat
it in a pan without any oil till dry
Tip:If you add coorg vinegar it will be more tastier(Kachaam puli)

2)
button onion(small ones)-6 nums
garlic-8pods
ginger- 1 inch
curry leaves-2 strings
coriander leaves-4 strings
green chilly- 4

Peel the onion and cut the chilly. Grind all these together coarsely
Add to the above done pork. Transfer it to the cooker and heat it till
it cooks with one cup of water

3)
pepper- 6 corns
cinnamon-1 inch
cloves- 4
coriander powder-1.5tsp
jeera-2 tsp
lemon-2

Roast all these seperately, pound it to a smooth powder. Add these to
the cooked pork. Mix it thoroughly and squeeze lemon to the pork
according to the taste, salt also can be added. The pork curry should
not be gravy.
maddy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2011, 12:29   #478
BHPian

Volunteered to prepare tea for everyone at home (5 member family).

Mother asked me to put 5 tea cups of water in the bowl and guess what? I put 5 cups of water which is used to take water from the "Gagri".

Half an hour in the process and the water is still not at its boiling point, when mother entered the kitchen. Very nicely I said, "thoda aur time lagega" (it will take a bit more time).

Since then cooking for me is like what the rest of world is for my three month old son!!!!
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2011, 13:00   #479
Senior - BHPian

I will share a simple recipe: Soya chicken:

Boneless chicken - 1/4 kg chopped in small pieces
Garlic - 5-6 cloves
4 green chillies
1/2 inch ginger - all the above in paste form from mixer
salt + sugar + black pepper poweder all to test, ideally 2 teaspoons each
some curry leaves
soya sauce 2 table spoons
tomato sause 1 table spoons

Just mix all the ingradients except the curry leaves in a bowl. add chicken to it and toss it to glory! Marinate it if you have time, else directly put it on slow flame. No adding of water. After 10 mins, when chicken is mostly cooked and some gravy is starting to form, pour 1-2 table spoons of oil and the curry leaves on top of the chicken, again close the lid and let it cook for 5 mins. After these total 15 mins, remove the lid and see if the gravy is all but evaporated. If you do it too much, it will become like chikki and stick to the pan. Remove it in total 15 - 20 mins. It is a great starter or even a side dish. Always wins accolades!
ani_meher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2011, 13:26   #480
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
Volunteered to prepare tea for everyone at home (5 member family).

Mother asked me to put 5 tea cups of water in the bowl and guess what? I put 5 cups of water which is used to take water from the "Gagri".

Half an hour in the process and the water is still not at its boiling point, when mother entered the kitchen.
Since then cooking for me is like what the rest of world is for my three month old son!!!!
I guess you forgot to turn the burner flame on . You must be having some real patience . I learnt how to prepare Tea when I was about 10 years old.

I enjoy cooking but in the process turn the kitchen into a war zone. Fortunately, I dont clean/wash things up( I hate cleaning and washing) usually when I cook or else wouldnt have learnt cooking.

Last edited by muni : 3rd March 2011 at 13:27.
muni is offline   Reply With Quote