Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2011, 14:00   #571
Senior - BHPian
 
_raVan_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,063
Thanked: 486 Times
Default re: Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs

Anybody got a basic good recipe for Mutton Kheema?
_raVan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2011, 14:03   #572
Distinguished - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,076
Thanked: 2,867 Times
Default re: Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs

@rohan_iitr, when you successfully got idlies in the microwave oven, you have to remember that the batter was heated in the presence of steam, and the batter was more liquid than solid.

When you tried with the momos, the momos - being more or less solid - were being rapidly but disproportionately heated by the microwaves. The time you set was for the water to simmer and get converted to steam, but that time was too much for the momo solids (which were already almost cooked before going in). Ergo, dry momo shells with burnt filling.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2011, 14:13   #573
Team-BHP Support
 
bblost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 9,555
Thanked: 6,311 Times
Default

Get the full thigh.
Ask your butcher to break the bone but not to cut the meat in pieces.

Make as many holes as you can and push in garlic pods. You can also use sliced garlic.
Coat it with some freshly crushed black pepper.
Add some salt.

Pressure cook for 2 whistles. Use very little water for this process.

If meat has gone tender, transfer the entire contents to a grill tawa.
Add a few drops of oil.
Cook till the outside is crispy.

Enjoy....
Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-one.jpg

Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-two.jpg

Two of these serve 4-5 adults.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Anybody got a basic good recipe for Mutton Kheema?
Sliced Onion.
Ginger Garlic Paste.
Chopped Tomato.
Oil
Kheema.
Turmeric, Dhania Powder and Red chilly powder.


Add onion to oil. Cook till its translucent.
Add ginger garlic paste.
Add kheema.
Cook till the color changes to white. Add the powders. Add the chopped tomato. Pressure cook for one whistle.

Add coriander for garnish.

You can also add bambino roasted vermicelli and cook it to make an excellent meal by itself.

EDIT: Forgot to mention salt and water. Add both before you pressure cook the dish.

Last edited by mobike008 : 15th November 2011 at 12:00. Reason: merging the posts as its 6 minutes from each other....
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2011, 14:32   #574
BHPian
 
rohan_iitr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 992
Thanked: 401 Times
Default re: Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
@rohan_iitr, when you successfully got idlies in the microwave oven, you have to remember that the batter was heated in the presence of steam, and the batter was more liquid than solid.

When you tried with the momos, the momos - being more or less solid - were being rapidly but disproportionately heated by the microwaves. The time you set was for the water to simmer and get converted to steam, but that time was too much for the momo solids (which were already almost cooked before going in). Ergo, dry momo shells with burnt filling.
Thanks for the reply. Ok I understand what was the problem.

But what is the solution ? First generate steam in the idly maker before putting momos ?

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2011, 14:33   #575
Senior - BHPian
 
_raVan_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,063
Thanked: 486 Times
Default re: Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Sliced Onion.
Ginger Garlic Paste.
Chopped Tomato.
Oil
Kheema.
Turmeric, Dhania Powder and Red chilly powder.


Add onion to oil. Cook till its translucent.
Add ginger garlic paste.
Add kheema.
Cook till the color changes to white. Add the powders. Add the chopped tomato. Pressure cook for one whistle.

Add coriander for garnish.

You can also add bambino roasted vermicelli and cook it to make an excellent meal by itself.
Thanks Bblost I also heard that peas goes really well with it. Also, will lime or vinegar help here?
_raVan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2011, 14:38   #576
Team-BHP Support
 
bblost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 9,555
Thanked: 6,311 Times
Default re: Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Thanks Bblost I also heard that peas goes really well with it. Also, will lime or vinegar help here?
Peas, carrots, beans, potato are some great combinations. Add these just before you pressure cook the dish.

Use a Pressure pan instead of a cooker. Do NOT forget to add soem water to the dish before you pressure cook it.
Also some salt.

Sorry I forgot about these two.

I don't think vinegar will help. But you can add lime juice once its cooked. I do that only if the dish has gone high on salt or chilly.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2011, 15:39   #577
Distinguished - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,076
Thanked: 2,867 Times
Default re: Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
... But what is the solution ? First generate steam in the idly maker before putting momos ?
Correct.

1. First check how long does it take for the water in the idly maker (without the plates) to produce water vapors consistently
2. Figure out separately how long will it take for the momo dough to cook to perfection (become translucent). Also figure out whether a lower microwave power level will produce a good result (for example, using a lower power level prevents puffs from becoming soggy while reheating)

Set the microwave for the total time, allow the the water in the idly maker heat up to vapors, open the door and put in the momos, then allow to cook till the microwave times out.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2011, 16:45   #578
BHPian
 
rohan_iitr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 992
Thanked: 401 Times
Default re: Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Correct.

1. First check how long does it take for the water in the idly maker (without the plates) to produce water vapors consistently
2. Figure out separately how long will it take for the momo dough to cook to perfection (become translucent). Also figure out whether a lower microwave power level will produce a good result (for example, using a lower power level prevents puffs from becoming soggy while reheating)

Set the microwave for the total time, allow the the water in the idly maker heat up to vapors, open the door and put in the momos, then allow to cook till the microwave times out.
Thanks again.

Will do a trial run with a single piece when we make momos next time.

Even though I really like experimenting with the microwave oven, I feel that the conventional pressure cooker is better for steam cooking delicate items like momos.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2011, 16:55   #579
Distinguished - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,076
Thanked: 2,867 Times
Default re: Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs

Even better, walk into one of those shops that sell all kinds of China-made stuff (there is one at Garuda Mall on 2nd floor IIRC) and pick up one of the bamboo steamers that look like a small cylindrical basket with a cover.

Put a glass of water in a kadhai, put the momos in the steamer and put the steamer in the kadhai. On gas it should take about 10 mins. for a batch.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2011, 18:37   #580
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,098
Thanked: 979 Times
Default re: Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Even better, walk into one of those shops that sell all kinds of China-made stuff (there is one at Garuda Mall on 2nd floor IIRC) and pick up one of the bamboo steamers that look like a small cylindrical basket with a cover.

Put a glass of water in a kadhai, put the momos in the steamer and put the steamer in the kadhai. On gas it should take about 10 mins. for a batch.
If not bamboo, try the good old style idly racks. These are plates with a shallow depression the size of an idly and perforated. Usually come in a stack of three or four. Use a deep pot or a pressure cooker (with a glass or two of water, without the weight and you have an excellent steamer. I have been making idlis for years and tried momos once or twice, no problem.

Edit : these idly racks come in different sizes to suit different pressure cookers, though ones for 5L pressure cookers are most prevalent.

Last edited by Aroy : 14th November 2011 at 18:38.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2011, 09:50   #581
BHPian
 
rohan_iitr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 992
Thanked: 401 Times
Default re: Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Even better, walk into one of those shops that sell all kinds of China-made stuff (there is one at Garuda Mall on 2nd floor IIRC) and pick up one of the bamboo steamers that look like a small cylindrical basket with a cover.

Put a glass of water in a kadhai, put the momos in the steamer and put the steamer in the kadhai. On gas it should take about 10 mins. for a batch.
I have seen those bamboo steamers in chinese restaurants.

What would be the approximate price of this bamboo steamer ?

What other items can be steam cooked in these bamboo steamers ?

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2011, 10:26   #582
Distinguished - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,076
Thanked: 2,867 Times
Default re: Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs

I bought one for 110, I think.

You can cook anything that you would like to eat steamed:
* Vegetables cut into chunks or sticks that can be eaten with a dressing or dip - broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, ...
* Steamed desserts (I am sure @aroy knows quite a few delicious ones from the eastern parts of India, like bhapa doi - literally 'steamed curds')
* Reheating left over idlies or pulao
* Steamed thin rice pancakes like neer dosae (spread the batter on oiled banana leaves, stack them and steam). Spread / stuff any savory or sweet filling of your choice and roll into cylinders. My favorite stuffing is grated coconut cooked with palm jaggery!
* Patravade with colocasia leaves
...

Variety in cooking is just an exercise of imagination.

Last edited by DerAlte : 15th November 2011 at 10:27.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2011, 11:56   #583
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,098
Thanked: 979 Times
Default re: Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs

Rs. 110/ is a steal. In Delhi they are all above 300/

If you are a non vegetarian, then you can cook a lot of items - Chicken, Fish, Prawns, Lobsters, Crabs . . . Look up some recipes for "Steamed" items on the net, you will get millions of hits.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2011, 12:11   #584
Team-BHP Support
 
bblost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 9,555
Thanked: 6,311 Times
Default re: Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs

^ Any idea where in Hyderabad I can get this.

Looks very interesting.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2011, 16:52   #585
BHPian
 
Alter_Ego's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 443
Thanked: 97 Times
Default re: Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Get the full thigh.
Ask your butcher to break the bone but not to cut the meat in pieces.

Make as many holes as you can and push in garlic pods. You can also use sliced garlic.
Coat it with some freshly crushed black pepper.
Add some salt.

Pressure cook for 2 whistles. Use very little water for this process.

If meat has gone tender, transfer the entire contents to a grill tawa.
Add a few drops of oil.
Cook till the outside is crispy.


Two of these serve 4-5 adults.


.
Looks delicious buddy.And the recepie seems pretty straight forward too.Want to try out.Just have one doubt.I know it would seem like a retarded question
The thighs-Are they chicken thighs or mutton thighs? First I felt they were chicken thighs but the size seems deceiving.Looks like that of mutton.Please confirm so that I can rush to the butcher and cook this dish.As my mouth has already started watering after seeing the pics.
Alter_Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
T-BHP Bhubaneshwar Chapter (Meets/Discussions/Drive) DigitalDragon The Team-BHP Meet Section 167 4th November 2016 14:57
Soligere Camping + Cooking + OTR: 13th Sept khan_sultan 4x4 Excursions 43 6th September 2010 18:10
A Pajero, Gypsies, CJ3B, Classic & MM540 go off-roading, stream crossings & cooking khan_sultan 4x4 Excursions 38 10th December 2008 03:52
hookah/sheesha recipes paras211 Shifting gears 8 17th November 2008 18:20


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:57.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks