Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 10th April 2009, 10:19   #16
BHPian

I personally learnt on a 118 NE W/o a power steering. Box shaped large car, no crazy power to lug me where i don't want to go, big size. hence giving rise to a good number of problems which arise while driving a big car earlier on itself. Once your through with it, technically, all other cars get easier. Any car of this sort do. On the better side, thier maintainance is not expensive either.

Besides that, let him learn to be 'one' with the car, Listen to the engine note and to read when the engine is over revving / Strained or lugging. Thought most cars have Tachos Now a days, there is still some unexplainable beauty in 'talking' with the car

Last edited by redeff : 10th April 2009 at 10:21.
redeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2009, 14:56   #17
BHPian

In my humble opinion, learning to drive on a big car(Sedan) is the right way to it. Transitioning from a hatchback(no offense) to a sedan/Suv/Muv is defiantly not an easy task. My dad and sister are a proof for learning on Maruti 800s(Driving school) in my family who are trying very hard to gasp on the Maruti Esteem! Bigger is always better to downsize later on. Not all are good or natural on wheels.

As for the RPM or throttle limit on 1st gear, forget about it being too specific. Let him drive with the flow. He'll get used to it later. Small steps at a time. And good luck to you and your brother. I know how hard it is to train a person to drive.
comet is offline   Reply With Quote