Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2010, 14:43   #151
BHPian
 
Daewood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 943
Thanked: 223 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Another notable thing about Tamil films...

In Tamil films, all the bikes are of TVS !
Ajith rode to stardom in a Kawasaki Bajaj in his first movie.
He became more popular for his riding skills than his acting skills.

And the most often used bikes in Tamil movies are the YAM Rx-100 if its a city based subject and Enfield Bullet if it's a village story.

..just because Surya has rides a TVS doesn't mean all films have only bikes from the same manufacturer.

Last edited by Daewood : 12th February 2010 at 14:59.
Daewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2010, 15:05   #152
oss
BHPian
 
oss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 683
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

'Simbu' factor is what scares me from watching VTV
oss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2010, 15:54   #153
Senior - BHPian
 
Gilead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,140
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oss View Post
'Simbu' factor is what scares me from watching VTV
I agree. I hope Trisha and Gautham Menon will be able to compensate for the Simbu factor.
Gilead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2010, 16:11   #154
oss
BHPian
 
oss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 683
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
I agree. I hope Trisha and Gautham Menon will be able to compensate for the Simbu factor.
Don't underestimate Simbu....he can outdo both of them

hope Gautham Menon managed to keep him under tight leash.
oss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2010, 16:26   #155
BHPian
 
Daewood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 943
Thanked: 223 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
I agree. I hope Trisha and Gautham Menon will be able to compensate for the Simbu factor.
Gautham Menon is a highly over-rated director.
He takes refuge behind stunning photography and stylish angles.
(stunning photography need to be matched by a good screenplay a.k.a Maniratnam)
Except his "Minnale" and "Patchaikili.." all others are just average movies.
and Trisha, apart from her sweet looks nothing else in terms of talent.

Compared to these 2 Simbu is a much bigger talent.
Only thing is he needs to be a little restrained and not resort to "superstar mannerisms". His "Manmadan" was ample proof of his vast talent.

Disclaimer: i'm no fan of Simbu or anyother film hero.
Daewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2010, 16:40   #156
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 205
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
Gautham Menon is a highly over-rated director.
He takes refuge behind stunning photography and stylish angles.
(stunning photography need to be matched by a good screenplay a.k.a Maniratnam)
Except his "Minnale" and "Patchaikili.." all others are just average movies.
and Trisha, apart from her sweet looks nothing else in terms of talent.

Compared to these 2 Simbu is a much bigger talent.
Only thing is he needs to be a little restrained and not resort to "superstar mannerisms". His "Manmadan" was ample proof of his vast talent.

Disclaimer: i'm no fan of Simbu or anyother film hero.
I agree with your views. Simbu is much better than Trisha. Goutham is among the very small percentage of directors we have today who make sensible movies. Even if they copy/hide behind other things, they at least make watchable movies and try something different. We should be happy about this.
joshdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2010, 10:35   #157
Senior - BHPian
 
nitrous's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: UAE/Lon/Madras
Posts: 6,966
Thanked: 282 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshdrive
Goutham is among the very small percentage of directors we have today who make sensible movies. Even if they copy/hide behind other things, they at least make watchable movies and try something different. We should be happy about this.
+1!
Goutham has been progressing by leaps and bounds with every movie.

Btw, How's the reviews on Theeradha Vilayattu Pillai?
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2010, 11:34   #158
oss
BHPian
 
oss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 683
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post

Btw, How's the reviews on Theeradha Vilayattu Pillai?
Lousy

Vishal is trying too hard to project an Yuppie image, which unfortuantely doesn't suit him. Someone try to bring him down to earth.
oss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2010, 15:56   #159
BHPian
 
2theMax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 337
Thanked: Once
Default

@OSS +1 to that. Vishal's earlier cop movie was a laugh riot.

After watching Vettaikaran in FF (72 minutes), I watched a reasonably old movie called Pasanga.. I was surprised as the movie unfolded. it was thorughly enjoyable fare an good performances from virtualy unknown actors.

Why don't we get more meaningful movies as this ? beats me.
2theMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2010, 16:20   #160
Senior - BHPian
 
nitrous's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: UAE/Lon/Madras
Posts: 6,966
Thanked: 282 Times
Default

VTV promotions at Citicenter?
Gautam Menon On Life After Vinnai Thaandi Varuvaya - Mindspeak - clapsandboos.com
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2010, 16:48   #161
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: ............
Posts: 3,260
Thanked: 4,210 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2theMax View Post
I watched a reasonably old movie called Pasanga.. I was surprised as the movie unfolded. it was thorughly enjoyable fare an good performances from virtualy unknown actors.
I watched Pasanga on Kalaignar TV recently. The new-comers acted in a natural and mature way. BTW, I think, we can watch all good movies and blockbusters in Kalaignar TV.
J.Ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2010, 19:24   #162
Senior - BHPian
 
Anand123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: trivandrum
Posts: 1,907
Thanked: 2,536 Times
Default

How many of you liked Vettaikkaran??
Anand123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2010, 19:32   #163
Senior - BHPian
 
nitrous's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: UAE/Lon/Madras
Posts: 6,966
Thanked: 282 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anand123 View Post
How many of you liked Vettaikkaran??
There are people who like Vetaikaaran?
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2010, 02:12   #164
oss
BHPian
 
oss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 683
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
There are people who like Vetaikaaran?
Well, Anushka was worth watching
oss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2010, 12:18   #165
BHPian
 
Daewood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 943
Thanked: 223 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
I watched Pasanga on Kalaignar TV recently. The new-comers acted in a natural and mature way.
Me too saw Pasanaga on Kalaignar TV recently.
Very sweet and neat entertainer with a good message.

We need more movies like this. The movie reminded me of the
malayalam movies of the 80s, which was the golden period of Mallu movies.

The problem is new directors come up with an oustanding subject and fresh treatment in their maiden venture..but from the next movie onwards it's the usual masala fare. Very few directors are an exception to this rule.
Daewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to type Regional script in Photoshop? Shan2nu Shifting gears 7 27th January 2010 22:55
Does Use of Parking Sensors Show A Regional Bias vivprasad The Indian Car Scene 32 27th November 2009 17:15
Team-Bhp regional meet mezereo The Team-BHP Meet Section 16 9th June 2008 22:27


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:54.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks