Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 21st May 2005, 16:55   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Greg chappell - New Indian Coach

The newly appointed 56 yrs old Indian coach, Greg Chappell will be paid Rs.8.5 Lakhs per month (approximate figures) to take up the role of the India team coach.

He will stay in Bangalore during the off seasons. It seems that he told he could devote 24x7x365, till the world cup during his presentation to the BCCI.

Let us hope he educates our players how to handle the game postively when the pressure is threatening to take away the game & inherits the killing instincts

Last edited by Surprise : 21st May 2005 at 16:56.
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2005, 17:24   #2
Senior - BHPian

I think its the next best thing to happen to Indian cricket after John wright. Greg chappel has this no nonsense kind of attitude which should help instill some confidence and discipline in the team.
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2005, 17:41   #3
BHPian

ok, here's one thing i dont get...i know cricket is like the life blood of india, but why dont they sell the official team gear and stuff..they could make so much money off of it. Ive never seen the official whites for sale anywhere...i can get cricket jerseys from every OTHER country except for india...and even the practice jerseys, i havent seen. I really want the white jerseys from team india, i looked all over last time, but found out that they arent made. Just have like Nike or wheoever makes the jerseys..sell replicas to the public..they'd make a killing!
CaliAtenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2005, 21:26   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza
I really want the white jerseys from team india, i looked all over last time, but found out that they arent made.
The Indian team have a blue dress code. By white do you mean the test stuff? Why would one want to buy that.

BTW you can get the the blue jerseys that they wear in ODIs. The only thing is that they are not officially sold by BBCI. As far as money goes, BBCI makes more money than all other test playing nations combined. (courtesy TV rights & sponsorships) Although our team is doing miserably, the board is numero uno as far as the money is concerned.
hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2005, 03:57   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye
The Indian team have a blue dress code. By white do you mean the test stuff? Why would one want to buy that.

BTW you can get the the blue jerseys that they wear in ODIs. The only thing is that they are not officially sold by BBCI. As far as money goes, BBCI makes more money than all other test playing nations combined. (courtesy TV rights & sponsorships) Although our team is doing miserably, the board is numero uno as far as the money is concerned.
i like the white test uniforms way better than the ODI ones. I never liked that blue :(. I know that BBCI makes a lot of money, but they could make much more, if they sold everything officially, like say have nike or someone else make the jerseys and stuff. Yeah the team has been sucking as of late :(.
Old 22nd May 2005, 12:13   #6
Senior - BHPian

White test uniforms are easy to buy - just buy a set of white tracks....what I do like is their practice kit which is a great white and dun coloured outfit (the one with Sahara logos all over).

As for the team sucking badly, most of it is caused by unrestrained media coverage with members of the media openly taking sides within the team. I believe that the media in India goes far beyond their stated aim of reporting news, and choose to be opinion-makers and king-makers by themselves. More often than not our cricketing journos are guilty of driving the team to the edge.
Worse yet are the interviews (including the ones on TV) where the 'moderator' goes out of his way to put words into the interviewee's mouth. I think the media in India sucks big time - this applies to the auto journos as well. Opinions should be restricted to columns, where it is clear that it is the views of the writer that are being published. Instead our journos turn news articles into opinionated columns, often pushing their choice unabashedly.

Leave the cricketers alone and I think you will see a much better side. How can you expect professionalism when they arent handled professionally themselves?
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2005, 17:00   #7
Senior - BHPian

Yeah - Greg Chappell appointet as India Coach was the best peice of news i heard about Indian cricket for a laong time !

His straight talking and disciplinary method should prove good for our guys unless they eat a special chakki ka atta ! and besides his knowledge of the game is amazing !!

and our very own mohinder amarnath made a fool of himself in the selection process - he turned out to be a joker and not the board. and besides what was gavaskar thinking when he proposed amaranath's name ?

the whole thing about indian v/s foreign was bull**** ! why dont these fellows understand its not about indian or foreign but about having the BEST !

anyways lets hope for the best for our cricketers now !
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2005, 17:36   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
White test uniforms are easy to buy - just buy a set of white tracks....what I do like is their practice kit which is a great white and dun coloured outfit (the one with Sahara logos all over).

As for the team sucking badly, most of it is caused by unrestrained media coverage with members of the media openly taking sides within the team. I believe that the media in India goes far beyond their stated aim of reporting news, and choose to be opinion-makers and king-makers by themselves. More often than not our cricketing journos are guilty of driving the team to the edge.
Worse yet are the interviews (including the ones on TV) where the 'moderator' goes out of his way to put words into the interviewee's mouth. I think the media in India sucks big time - this applies to the auto journos as well. Opinions should be restricted to columns, where it is clear that it is the views of the writer that are being published. Instead our journos turn news articles into opinionated columns, often pushing their choice unabashedly.

Leave the cricketers alone and I think you will see a much better side. How can you expect professionalism when they arent handled professionally themselves?
i just want the whtie shirt with the sahara logos and stuff..any place to buy the practice kit??? or stores that sell the white ones???
Old 24th May 2005, 15:22   #9
Senior - BHPian

SAD but need to accept the reality.

Its very sad to see the article by Greg chappell admitting that SACHIN MAY NOT RETURN BACK TO ITS PEAK. That's the reality, we cannot expect SACHIN to do the magic throughout this life.

Its better to say goodbye before he loses his magic touch
Old 24th May 2005, 15:32   #10
Senior - BHPian

before he looses? has he still not lost it? (Am I starting off a spate of mails because of this comment?)
deepakhon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2005, 15:55   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon
before he looses? has he still not lost it? (Am I starting off a spate of mails because of this comment?)
Yes, he has lost it, but, not to the level where he fails to justify his place in the team. Few knocks like the one against Pakistan (141) keep the hopes alive of expecting him to contribute more

My point is that he needs to hang his boot, before he fails to justify his place in the team
Old 29th May 2005, 01:50   #12
BHPian

[quote=Steeroid]
More often than not our cricketing journos are guilty of driving the team to the edge.
Worse yet are the interviews (including the ones on TV) where the 'moderator' goes out of his way to put words into the interviewee's mouth. Instead our journos turn news articles into opinionated columns, often pushing their choice unabashedly.

/QUOTE]

Steeroid ,

I could have agreed to you . I will take this one step higher. Those retired Indian Cricketers need to keep their mouth shut. Most of them have bsuiness ineterest . Take Ravi shastri - he promotes his own company - he is the agent for several cricketers - I have seen shastri play as a cricketer. An Boring and stubborn cricketer who had NO , NO cricketing shots at all . Now , you hear him comment on straight drives!!! . With Gavaskar and Shastri int he Selection panel - the candidate would have been Moody - so gald that common sense prevailed - and the other 2 voted GC.
Moody would have been a disaster - our number 6 batsmen has a bettre record than him.

I simply Mute - when shastri or Gavasker is on Air! - We are so thankfull - Ganguly - is the captain Or - you would have these 2 commentartors setting field for the captain - Rember what happneed to T'Kar - poor guy listened to them - they decided who needs to open/ field at what positions.
puthari is offline   Reply With Quote