Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 13th April 2009, 23:19   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Memories: Some Touching Moments-You and Your Car

All of us have been spending years and decades as owners of various cars. The car that has been with me the longest is a 1987 Maruti 800, which was in the family since 1987 and with me since April 24th 1990. I am completing 19 years with its ownership. Very, very sadly I may have to part company with it after all these years during which it had stood by me like an article of solid steel.And 19 years is no joke as anyone will agree.This car has been my vehicle for daily commute anywhere and everywhere. Its the best car for city use I still feel.The car has many Japanese made components which are still braving and enduring the adversities to keep the car running. it was from the earlier lot of the then new model I believe called SS80X - will check that.
In July 2003, a nearly four decade old guava tree in our house collapsed due to the monsoon winds. the guava tree was a family favourite as it used to give us very tasty fruits once or sometimes twice a year. I had gone out on my Yamaha RX 100 and upon returning saw the big tree tossed upon the frail Maruti, which was parked beneath it. The tree had been destroyed by termites too as I had earlier observed, but I never felt that all this will happen so soon.
Touchwood, my Maruti has never ever been involved in any accident minor or major but I have escaped accidents by a whisker many a time. I am not sure but there is something between this Maruti and me that helps both of us escape unscathed always. That applies to all my family members and friends too, who sometimes travel with me. And its reliability plus this factor were the sole reasons for which I had kept company of this lovely car for nearly two decades.
The sight from the entrance gate of our home was gory. I could never comprehend what had happened to the front portion of my car, seeing the rear portion from the entrance gate.Over the car's rear portion a branch was resting. I put the bike on its stand and ran towards the car. I got the delight of my life to see that the front portion was untouched and the thick main trunk had missed the A pillar of the car by some six inches or so. There were any scratches on the roof top but even the front windscreen had not been affected even a wee bit.
I called my family members and neighbours who all rushed to help. The tree was lifted with all the muscles available - also used the Bolero and the Landmaster jacks with wood pegs on the floor, to raise the tree a little bit. And mind you it was raining and becoming dark.
After the tree rose artificially, the car was moved to the front far away from the tree. Again the roof top got some scratches ( which are still there- will post pictures). But the car was safe. The next morning the guava tree was cut, removed and the area cleared.
The first battery that I replaced sometime in 1991 cost me Rs 725=00 and was the only model for Marutis that Exide sold.The tyres I changed cost me Rs 1090=00 (MRF 4 ply nylon tyres) in 1992. The tyre prices remain very less affected but the battery prices have jumped to about Rs 2800=00, a quantum four fold increase.
Never heavy on maintenance the car needed a little TLC and has virtually never let me down. Its very tough for me to part company with this little beauty. My Scorpio is to arrive in two/three days and maybe I keep this car for another fortnight to have some last drives on it.
Name:  sonycamv 1750.jpg
Views: 1919
Size:  131.7 KB

Name:  sonycamv 1751.jpg
Views: 1612
Size:  131.6 KB

Name:  sonycamv 1752.jpg
Views: 1589
Size:  128.1 KB
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009, 06:07   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Forgot to mention that my Maruti's paint is still original since 22 years! There are a few scratches here and there but its the original Gurgaon touch.
Old 14th April 2009, 11:13   #3
BHPian

A great car & even greater love for the car.

Buddy, now a days, such super quality you will never get from a new 800 (current one)
loving_alaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009, 16:25   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

You ain't read nothing till you visit Drifters love affair with his Accent (My Car.....and more) or Jaggu's romance with his ex-girl (One last drive, those iKONic moments.).

All I can say is, we are in good company here on Team-BHP
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2009, 19:27   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You ain't read nothing till you visit Drifters love affair with his Accent (My Car.....and more) or Jaggu's romance with his ex-girl (One last drive, those iKONic moments.).

All I can say is, we are in good company here on Team-BHP
GTO read both the reviews well-one is a 2004 Accent(5 years) and the other a 2000 Ikon(7 years in 2007). None can match the 19 years I have had with my 800, though I have not been able to post a write up as good as either drifter or Jaggu.
My love for this car is so deep, that I never dared to change to a new one despite being on the receiving end from one and all. This car the 800 is very, very basic, frail and even unsafe by today's standards. It does'nt have even an AC. But I and my family have endured the drives purely due to the attachment we have.
And lastly, one very good piece of news is that I am not going to part company with this car so soon. Never maybe!
Old 15th April 2009, 19:42   #6
BHPian

Some old Jap cars just go, its hard to believe how they do it. My 1989 Nissan Pulsar wouldn’t die, the head gasket finally blew and it lost compression on two cylinders – nothing I couldn’t fix. So and it still runs like a dream, not to mention the ported & polished inlets on the head & the brand new timing belt.
I sold that car to a friend but my Pajero is also a long serving well built Japanese masterpiece that lives on.
Gasolinejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2009, 23:41   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

More pictures. Also shows my Sony ICE, the XR3757 HU and the four speakers fitted in 1998 cost me some Rs 12000=00 have never given me an opportunity to repair ever it since 11 years. Another picture shows the original Nippon Denso distributor.The CB point, condenser and the rotor ahve been changed on some occasions.
Name:  sonycamv 031.jpg
Views: 1510
Size:  131.5 KB

Name:  sonycamv 037.jpg
Views: 1332
Size:  130.9 KB

Name:  sonycamv 040.jpg
Views: 1364
Size:  130.0 KB

Name:  sonycamv 042.jpg
Views: 1303
Size:  131.2 KB

Name:  sonycamv 045.jpg
Views: 1274
Size:  73.2 KB

Name:  sonycamv 047.jpg
Views: 1274
Size:  130.8 KB
Old 3rd May 2009, 15:33   #8
BHPian

One of the few things I actually recall from my youngest days. When pops sold it off for a brand new M800, I bawled my eyes off. I remember standing in the front seat and saluting the jawans around India Gate/Rashtrapati bhawan. They would ALWAYS salute back. And that its boot could fit three of me easily. If everything was going wrong, the sight of DBC 4428 would soothe my senses. If nobody is around, atleast she is, and soon everyone will gather around and we'll be happy again.

Name:  10 july 199x.jpg
Views: 1174
Size:  48.1 KB

(I'm in the front seat, 17 years ago )
godog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2009, 19:15   #9
BHPian

that brought back fond memories godog. I was so attached to dads first padmini - he got it after an accident on the bajaj scooter where mom was sitting behind holding me. She scraped herself badly to ensure I wasnt even scratched. Dad decided that was it and managed to get a Fiat in taxi quota.

The car was finally sold after 2 decades , and I had tears in my eyes. Couldnt even go and watch the new driver take her away. Unfortunately did not have the resources to keep her forever. Otherwise I had promised myself that we would never sell it. This reminds me to dig up that old picture of her.

Very sweet photo of urs by the way.
Takumi-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2010, 21:19   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

My 1987 Maruti 800 is still serving me. I had some wild thoughts about selling it but no!Never now perhaps. Do you sell a family member when a new one is added? My Maruti is a family member and is still serving me faithfully after 22 years on the road now in its 23rd.Repair bills hardly exceed Rs 1 K if ever. The more you spend the newer it gets and feels. I am now getting used to five figure repair bills with the Scorpio and the Rs 1K or 3K bills look like pittance..
I still use it to go to crowded places where if parked no one will steal it.Its so narrow that it moves through the smallest space available.It does not attract any attention or glare like Nanos or Mercs and I love that.
Recently I brought some construction material loaded on it after folding the rear seat. Thereafter had to thoroughly clean it. The space it gives for luggage with the rear seat folded is awesome for a car of its size.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 31st January 2010 at 21:23.
Old 31st January 2010, 23:24   #11
Senior - BHPian

I love this thread. A 23 year long love affair is not something to be sneezed at.

Here's to many more safe and happy miles with the old girl.

Cheers!
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2010, 23:37   #12
BHPian

22 years is a lifetime buddy hats off to you ,dont sell her on completion of your silver jubilee we will have a t bhp meet to mark the event keep us updated
sierrakamat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2010, 10:29   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Good decision to keep it. Our 86 M800 was one of the best. We sold it and bought another M800 in 92. Even when it was brand new the 92 felt like crap..quality of the Indian built ones was significantly worse. I still have fond memories of CKI 4588.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
My 1987 Maruti 800 is still serving me. I had some wild thoughts about selling it but no!Never now perhaps. Do you sell a family member when a new one is added?.

How many Kms on the odo? Make sure all rust prone areas are patched up and she will keep going for ever. Besides you will get only peanuts for it now.

Last edited by Mpower : 1st February 2010 at 10:33.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2010, 20:53   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Good decision to keep it. Our 86 M800 was one of the best. We sold it and bought another M800 in 92. Even when it was brand new the 92 felt like crap..quality of the Indian built ones was significantly worse. I still have fond memories of CKI 4588.
How many Kms on the odo? Make sure all rust prone areas are patched up and she will keep going for ever. Besides you will get only peanuts for it now.
Thanks MPower.Your 1986 800 must have had SUZUKI embossed on the engine tappet cover. Mine has Maruti embossed- a change over since I guess 1987.Yes, will take care of the rust prone areas.It has done about 70000 kms on the odo.I can vouch that its overall better than any of the post 1990's Maruti 800's, as I had taken showroom delivery of brand new ones for friends even driving some of them later many a time then and could get the crap-like feeling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrakamat View Post
22 years is a lifetime buddy hats off to you ,dont sell her on completion of your silver jubilee we will have a t bhp meet to mark the event keep us updated
Thanks sierrakamat sure its silver jubilee should make me start another new thread on it on teambhp!
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
I love this thread. A 23 year long love affair is not something to be sneezed at.

Here's to many more safe and happy miles with the old girl.

Cheers!
Thanks R2D2 for your wishes.
One perceptible feeling behind the wheels is that no one cares and many larger cars/ SUV's try to shoo away 800's on the roads to the extreme left. I have got used to it.
But with a Bolero earlier and now with the Scorpio, I find the same B and C segment cars moving to the extreme left without me bullying them at all.
Might is Right after all for humans even!
A few more pictures of the 22-23 year old petite lady in white.The 1998 Sony XR3757 deck is down below:

Name:  sonycamv 031.jpg
Views: 845
Size:  131.5 KB

Name:  sonycamv 032.jpg
Views: 852
Size:  131.0 KB

Name:  sonycamv 028.jpg
Views: 848
Size:  130.5 KB

Name:  sonycamv 037.jpg
Views: 850
Size:  130.9 KB

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 1st February 2010 at 21:07.
Old 2nd February 2010, 18:59   #15
Senior - BHPian

Hi
when you keep a car that long it becomes part of the family.I hope you hold on to it,maybe you could give it a overhaul and a nice paint job.Elsewhere on the forum there are 800's which have done 2lac + kms (siralec) so i guess these babies have a lot of stamina in them.

I too have a 97 800 which i have kept lovingly and probably (touch wood) be keeping it for as long as i live.

Good luck.
sumeethaldankar is offline   Reply With Quote