Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: Did you vote in elections, 2009?
Yes I voted in 2009 88 72.13%
I was unable to go and vote 10 8.20%
I went to cast my vote but I was not allowed to vote 5 4.10%
I did not want to vote 12 9.84%
Others 7 5.74%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Old 16th April 2009, 20:12   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
will not until a system comes in place where the 'govt' is actually afraid of people not the reverse. and Aristotle (or Plato?) told that a system will bring the end of the same system. so matter of time? waiting lol. (no hard feelings lol).
Will not happen until the millions of Indinss like you storm the parliament and drag the headless chickens out - Thailand Style - PEOPLE POWER! REVOLUTION!

Sadly, Indian media is too busy brainwashing Indians with dumb American Reality TV shows.
The reality that happened in Thailand last week was hardly shown on local TV.

Last edited by aerohit : 16th April 2009 at 20:24.
aerohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2009, 00:42   #17
Senior - BHPian

Default Get out and V-O-T-E! - Have you voted in 2009?

Dear Team BHP ians,

The Indian elections, sometimes called the greatest show on earth and, definitely a logistical achievement, are finally underway with the first phase of polling concluded today.

Voter turn outs have been higher than in earlier elections. (It is 65% for Andhra Pradesh). This is a healthy sign.

I went out, stood in the sun for an hour at noon and cast my votes (A.P. has a simultaneous poll for the Lok Sabha and the State Legislative Assembly).

Name:  17042009.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  23.5 KB

Some of us would have voted. Some of us might not have been able to vote (travelling etc.). Othes might have been prevented from voting due to procedures or lapses like their names not being found in the voters lists etc. Some might sincerely be against voting. Some might not fall into any of the 4 previous categories. It would be intersting to see how many of us fall into each of the above categories.

Cheers and thanks.

Last edited by Rehaan : 17th April 2009 at 01:40. Reason: Merged threads.
Ravveendrra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2009, 00:50   #18
BHPian

i have a question...can the American style of government work in india? Or does India need a Parlimentary system??
CaliAtenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2009, 00:57   #19
Senior - BHPian

Default If a watch ain't broken, do not fix it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
i have a question...can the American style of government work in india? Or does India need a Parlimentary system??
The U.S. presidential style of government vs. the Westminister style of parliamentary democracy is a debate that rages on in India. Both have their inherent advantages and disadvantages.

My two bits: India is evolving its own style of democracy and government with it's own peculiar features and style. I would say, let it develop. It has worked pretty well for about 5 decades, so let us not disturb it.

Cheers,

P.S. I have started a poll here, please participate.

Last edited by Rehaan : 17th April 2009 at 01:40. Reason: Threads merged.
Old 17th April 2009, 01:04   #20
BHPian

i did vote this year and was my first time. looking forward to the elections this month.

i use my power to vote. and will always do. we have to bring this change! cant relax and sit at home hoping somebody else will do it for us.

Last edited by Rehaan : 17th April 2009 at 01:40. Reason: Merged threads + posts.
white_vdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2009, 06:23   #21
BHPian

I got a black stain on my finger!! .

My trial process results: Washing machines are not for humans and do not help
absynthguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2009, 07:54   #22
Senior - BHPian

Default Postal Ballot

Can anyone tell me what are the pre-requisites for postal ballot. I'm based in Hyderabad but am listed in the electoral rolls in Delhi.

Cheers
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2009, 08:17   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Can anyone tell me what are the pre-requisites for postal ballot. I'm based in Hyderabad but am listed in the electoral rolls in Delhi.

Cheers
I think you need to be a government employee working in the elections (poll booths, rpf etc.)
cooldude1988765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2009, 12:04   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Check out this website, useful link for mumbaikars
Don't Vote. Select | MumbaiVotes.com
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2009, 12:50   #25
BHPian

there is a famous proverb regarding voting
" BAD people are sent to parliament by GOOD people who do not vote",
please do not make that mistake...
sanjaymugur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2009, 12:58   #26
Senior - BHPian

The more we don't vote, the more someone else does on your behalf. Your voting will help eliminate bogus voting and allow better candidates to get elected.
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2009, 13:38   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm not an Indian citizen, so I guess that it is right that I don;t have the right to vote.

Believe me: If I could I would.

Vote, guys, Vote!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2009, 14:04   #28
Senior - BHPian

Default MPs for ex-pats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I'm not an Indian citizen, so I guess that it is right that I don;t have the right to vote.

Believe me: If I could I would.

Vote, guys, Vote!
LOL Thad, I had you and others like you in mind when I created the 5th option - "Others".

O.T.:

The Indian Parliament and state legislatures have several members nominated or selected to represent various minorities etc. In this age of globalisation, perhaps it is time to have a few MPs / MLAs / MLCs to represent ex-patriates in India. They could be elected by foreign nationals residing in India. They could participate in debates and raise questions and issues relating to ex-pats in India, initially at least they could be denied the privilege of voting in the house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post

Cheers
Dear MC,

Indian citizens are expected to vote in the place they 'normally' reside. I am not sure of the law and regulations in place but a sensible view would be that if one resides or expects to reside in a place for more than six months - that would be your place of 'normal' residence. The enrolment of voters in Hyderabad took place in Dec & Jan, forms were easily available (even on-line) and one had to just drop them in the drop boxes placed all over town, including malls (I do not know if one was placed in Spar!).

Sorry mate, you seem to have missed the bus unless you can travel to Delhi and do your duty.

I see a lot of views but the number of votes does not match. We respect the choice and/or circumstances of each member. I request each TBHPian to vote here, whatever your choice.

Cheers,
Old 17th April 2009, 15:40   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
The U.S. presidential style of government vs. the Westminister style of parliamentary democracy is a debate that rages on in India. Both have their inherent advantages and disadvantages.

My two bits: India is evolving its own style of democracy and government with it's own peculiar features and style. I would say, let it develop. It has worked pretty well for about 5 decades, so let us not disturb it.

Cheers,

P.S. I have started a poll here, please participate.
i have to agree on the peculiar features and style part . Anyways im not a indian citizen so i cant vote :(
CaliAtenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2009, 15:59   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
I see a lot of views but the number of votes does not match. We respect the choice and/or circumstances of each member. I request each TBHPian to vote here, whatever your choice.
How can everybody vote this thread poll right away? For example, I can't vote in the thread poll since Karnataka polls are on 23rd and 30th.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote