Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: Did you vote in elections, 2009?
Yes I voted in 2009 88 72.13%
I was unable to go and vote 10 8.20%
I went to cast my vote but I was not allowed to vote 5 4.10%
I did not want to vote 12 9.84%
Others 7 5.74%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17th April 2009, 16:01   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Check out this website, useful link for mumbaikars
Don't Vote. Select | MumbaiVotes.com
Good site Sahil, only problem is they don't have records for most politicians. And how they judge promises vs performance is beyond me. Come to think of it, I really doubt whether they will find any performance records as these guys will not want people to see their pathetic performance, or the lack of it.
maverick030581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2009, 17:20   #32
Team-BHP Support

@Ravvs, I deliberatedly waited until late afternoon when was sun was at it's peak and went to the polling booth which was about 300 meters from my home and completed our voting in 3 minutes flat
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2009, 17:50   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
How can everybody vote this thread poll right away? For example, I can't vote in the thread poll since Karnataka polls are on 23rd and 30th.
Same here as Delhi votes only on may 7th.
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2009, 18:20   #34
BHPian

Default Why Not?

I am tired of messages in the media telling me to go vote. Last time I checked we were in a democracy. Which means you have the right to or not to vote. Its nice to say that "be the change", "its your fault if you dont vote" etc. Its all hogwash we have party system not an indivdual system and all that a political party cares about is coming to and staying in power. I mean just look at our choices for a PM. I am happy for f450and others who have found a saint among sinners but I am not voting until I get the right to cast a negative vote against those contesting.
To all members of this community given a choice between two equally good candidates one who would address your problems(good roads, price of petrol, high duties on vehicles, traffic jams etc.) versus someone who would address the problems of the needy (food,shelter,water,education). Who would you vote for.
One very interesting thing it seems urging people to vote has become a publicity stunt. Just look at who, John Abraham-drunk driver,Salman Khan-Drunk Driver, Poacher,etc Sunjay Dutt(almost got a ticket)-convicted under TADA
All those out there who want to vote i don't discourage you/ mock you/ nor judgeyou.
Guys your right to vote is precious if not to anyone else to your self please take the time decide what you want to do with it and to whom you want to give it to. Its choice you will have to live with for the next 5 years.

To all those who want to argue with me let me say this-I am lazy and a hypocrite and am killing the country/democracy. Say what you will this my first and last post in this thread.

Note from Support: Bazius, please refrain from mentioning names. Thanks!

Last edited by aah78 : 19th April 2009 at 19:59. Reason: See note.
Bazius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2009, 20:08   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazius View Post
I am tired of messages in the media telling me to go vote.
To all those who want to argue with me let me say this-I am lazy and a hypocrite and am killing the country/democracy. Say what you will this my first and last post in this thread.

You are absolutely right! These are exactly my feelings too.
Its all too easy to preach people to vote, but there simply isn't any party/candidate that is actually serious for the welfare of the people. Greed, Greed, Greed - This is the name of the game. Corruption is a side effect of greed.

I WILL NOT VOTE. And i am proud of it.
Won't waste my half hour for Criminals, Idiots and Murderers. Everyone is the same. And i mean EVERYONE!

Last edited by aah78 : 19th April 2009 at 19:59. Reason: Quoted post edited.
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2009, 20:32   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Its all too easy to preach people to vote, but there simply isn't any party/candidate that is actually serious for the welfare of the people. Greed, Greed, Greed - This is the name of the game. Corruption is a side effect of greed.

I WILL NOT VOTE. And i am proud of it. Won't waste my half hour for Criminals, Idiots and Murderers. Everyone is the same. And i mean EVERYONE!
+1. Exactly how i feel. Have never voted and will never vote till i find one person who is interested in welfare of common people instead of welfare of his people.
harry10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2009, 21:53   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
LOL Thad, I had you and others like you in mind when I created the 5th option - "Others".
--- OK, I voted 'other'

Quote:
The Indian Parliament and state legislatures have several members nominated or selected to represent various minorities etc. In this age of globalisation, perhaps it is time to have a few MPs / MLAs / MLCs to represent ex-patriates in India. They could be elected by foreign nationals residing in India. They could participate in debates and raise questions and issues relating to ex-pats in India, initially at least they could be denied the privilege of voting in the house.
I think that that idea is generous in the extreme, and in the best possible spirit of democracy...

However, in a country with a recent colonial history, I can see it being a very dubious idea to many, and I can understand their feelings.

Of course it is a democratic right not to vote, and for a long time, I felt that the maxim It doesn't matter who you vote for; the government always gets in was a justification not to. I can very well understand Indians, where the politics seem to be based on just about everything except what policies would be good for country and it people, feeling like that.

I was under the impression that there was a none of the above option, which we do not have in my country --- or have the newspapers invented this?
Thad E Ginathom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2009, 21:54   #38
Team-BHP Support

Vote for anyone you want.
But ask yourself, is this the person you would invite into your house and trust with your children.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2009, 21:56   #39
BHPian

Quote:
What if your vote is cast by someone else, that too for the "worst sinner" among the lot? I have read that there are many proxy voters waiting to vote for people who don't vote. Today's Malayala Manorama newspaper carried a front page article about a fluid that is used to delete the permanent ink marking. Now, the proxy voting part may not be completely true, but there are better ways to protest rather than not going to vote or waiting for negative vote to be implemented. In today's newspaper, there was an article about how you can refuse to vote; after you have finished all the procedures and after the ink has been placed, just before actually pressing the button. The article goes on to say that nobody can force you to vote and the presiding officer of the booth will mark you as having "refused to vote." I only have second hand information about this, probably some of our own legal eagles can clarify that.

Isn't that a better option?

Going to vote or not is your choice; but, there is nothing to feel proud about not voting, in my humble opinion..
darklord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2009, 22:19   #40
BANNED

Bazius is on to something... there should be a provision for negative voting. that would force people to use their heads. just one vote. you either vote *for* someone or *against* someone.

if there was one decent person I could vote for, I would. here, people are simply busy wooing the 'masses'. ludicrous effing promises about free power [??], free color TVs [!!], debit cards with 2000 bucks a month 'pocket money' for BPLs... the list goes on.
how are these promises going to be realized? by burderning the 'middle class' with more and more taxes. all for what? so that they can retain their chairs and continue minting money.
the key to winning an election is not the minority like us who sit here and discuss the 'to vote or not to vote' question but the huge masses of people who live in the woods and who can be easily swayed by - I really hate to say this - some free food, alcohol and some cash. also, multiple voting and rigging.
people say those who dont vote should not crib. I would like to know something: if I voted and the person who I voted for did not come to power, would I entitled to crib then or would I be told to shut up because I competed and failed [by casting a vote, that is]?
Adolf Hitler was a monumental idiot but he was right when he said "a hundred blockheads do not equal one man in wisdom"
the definition of blockhead vs wiseguy is debatable, of course.

there are many social evils many conveniently overlook and passively condone.

take child labor for example. I have a few friends whose fathers are politicians and a couple of them have children who work in their household. nobody squeaks.

take reservations. a concept that was supposed to be done away with about half a decade ago continues to rage with no signs of abating. most of the tax money collected is spent pampering undeserving bufoons who give ZERO return to the society. anybody who speaks against this is ostracized. it is the single largest factor that can sway a poll in somebody's favor.

I know there is a state health scheme in Rajasthan and here in AP. basically allocates a shipload of money to facilitate free healthcare for those who dont have a penny. a good concept. but what about those who actually bankroll this scheme by paying taxes? who do they turn to when they fall sick? loan sharks. none of the politicians care about them. they are busy yelling about how 'they' created this scheme by allocating 900 crores or some such amount. 900 crores of their money? hell no! 900 crores from those people who are rewarded only with increasing taxes.

Chandrababu Naidu was shooting his mouth off promising free color TVs and a 2000 rupee pocket money to BPL people. where would this money come from? that's right ladies and gentlemen! the ever present, ever available and ready to be shafted taxpayer!

there is evil everywhere. the few good people who stand as independents are outmuscled by the big parties. the 'choice' basically boils down to the lesser evil. Id rather not choose evil period.

Last edited by aah78 : 19th April 2009 at 19:35. Reason: No expletives please - direct / indirect. Thanks!
blacmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2009, 23:36   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
How can everybody vote this thread poll right away? For example, I can't vote in the thread poll since Karnataka polls are on 23rd and 30th.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Same here as Delhi votes only on may 7th.
True guys, I am aware that only one of five phases of polling is over and that most of the larger cities vote in the coming phases.

@ MC - does it mean you are pushing off to Del to do the needful?

Quote:
I am tired of messages in the media telling me to go vote.
Guys your right to vote is precious if not to anyone else to your self please take the time decide what you want to do with it and to whom you want to give it to. Its choice you will have to live with for the next 5 years.
Quote:
You are absolutely right! These are exactly my feelings too. ..........
Well said Bazius, DCEite and others. That is your opinion and you have a right to it. Your right is respected and your opinion is appreciated. This is the reason for choice no. 4 in the poll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
---

I think that that idea is generous in the extreme, and in the best possible spirit of democracy...

However, in a country with a recent colonial history, I can see it being a very dubious idea to many, and I can understand their feelings.
I was under the impression that there was a none of the above option, which we do not have in my country --- or have the newspapers invented this?

1. Time to leave the past behind and move forward. Today's madcap ideas are tomorrow's given truths. I hope that the day will come when we truly break boundaries.

2. There is no option "None of the above". I really wish there was that option. One could then write in a penalty clause that if the 'None of Above' was the winner, all the other contestants and their family members (including extended family, cattle and pets) be debarred for life.

Cheers,
Ravveendrra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2009, 09:36   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Love how advts works You guys saw the guy on top of this page?
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2009, 11:33   #43
BHPian

Quote:
I am tired of messages in the media telling me to go vote. Last time I checked we were in a democracy. Which means you have the right to or not to vote. Its nice to say that "be the change", "its your fault if you dont vote" etc. Its all hogwash we have party system not an indivdual system and all that a political party cares about is coming to and staying in power. I mean just look at our choices for a PM (the list actually includes Advani, Lalloo, Mayawathi, Jayalalitha ). I am happy for f450and others who have found a saint among sinners (hope its not the guy with Rs.300,00,00,000 in assets) but I am not voting until I get the right to cast a negative vote against those contesting.
To all members of this community given a choice between two equally good candidates one who would address your problems(good roads, price of petrol, high duties on vehicles, traffic jams etc.) versus someone who would address the problems of the needy (food,shelter,water,education). Who would you vote for.
One very interesting thing it seems urging people to vote has become a publicity stunt. Just look at who, John Abraham-drunk driver,Salman Khan-Drunk Driver, Poacher,etc Sunjay Dutt(almost got a ticket)-convicted under TADA
All those out there who want to vote i don't discourage you/ mock you/ nor judgeyou.

Quote:

Won't waste my half hour for Criminals, Idiots and Murderers. Everyone is the same. And i mean EVERYONE!
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
+1. Exactly how i feel. Have never voted and will never vote till i find one person who is interested in welfare of common people instead of welfare of his people.
+100 to all these views. My thoughts being echoed. I will not vote for the lesser of two equal thugs, who will do nothing for us in the next 5 years. Wouldn't want to waste even a minute of my life on that. IMHO there is no real change to be accomplished here. Best wishes to those who vote, you guys are trying and Godspeed to you guys. I crossed over to being a cynic long ago. The only vote I have cast is for this poll
Everytime an election comes up, I'm reminded of what one of my friends said before he left permanently for another country :

"I don't believe in patriotism, it is a man-made concept. I just happened to be born in India. Objectively, if this country and its government cannot give me the quality of life and basics that my family and my tax money deserve, I'll find another country that does. Just like I would find another restaurant that serves me well if one doesn't. I only have one life, and do not want to live it making a compromise on anything. Its that simple."

Immortal words, those.

Last edited by maverick030581 : 18th April 2009 at 11:34.
Old 18th April 2009, 13:16   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacmagic View Post
Maverick, how would you link this then?
I think that should be in "The Official Joke" thread mate. Unfortunately the joke's on us citizens.
Old 19th April 2009, 12:37   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

When business is so slow to take up the internet in India, the politicians are ahead! I'm surprised --- but obviously I just hadn't looked. If only they could take an interest in making decent bandwidth available at prices the less-well-off can afford.

I doubt that voting for non-Indian-citizens is likely in the foreseeable future; even OCI holders do not have voting rights or the right to stand for political office. India has no equivalent to Green Card or Permanent Residency, although acquisition of Indian citizenship is theoretically possible.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   Reply With Quote