Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 19th February 2016, 22:03   #76
BHPian

Default Re: The Gold Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohammedismail View Post
I have sent them an email yesterday telling them about the issue. I'm yet to receive any response from them.
Saw a full-spread ad on Deccan Herald from the same jeweler a few days ago.

I would suggest you go to the jeweler and in parallel call Deccan Herald and threaten them (as in, the jeweler) that you will spread the news. That should spur them into action. If nothing else works, you can just yell in front of other customers as I do (BTW keep the original receipt at home). For the love of God, please get a refund and buy from someone else.

As someone who has no interest in jewelry at all and considers it a racket/fraud/scam and who has to persevere multiple sittings all over Bangalore for the peace of the household, I will let you on a secret -- The only jeweler I consider bearable is C. Krishniah Chetty.

Do they overcharge you with wastage and making charges? Do they overcharge you with inflated gold prices? Yes and yes. But at least they are upfront about it and they treat me like a rich Sheikh during the Arab Oil Crisis. And their stuff really does have good workmanship.

PS: I have no idea what CKCs refund/exchange policy is as I have not done it yet.
nowwhat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2016, 12:29   #77
BHPian

Exclamation Re: Lalithaa Jewellers Fraud !

Quote:
We Purchased Gold from Lalithaa Jewellers in Malleshwaram Bangalore who is quite famous for charging very minimal amount of Making charge/Wastage.

This post is to make everyone aware to stay away from this particular Jeweller ! I don't know if I can take any step against them to recover my Money!

Attachment 1476642
Yesterday I had been to Lalithaa Jewelry since my chit got over and I had to buy a few jewels for that. My daughter wanted to wear a chain brought from the same shop so we took the chain outside our locker after almost 7 months and I was shocked to see that a part of the chain had changed color and broken. This jewel is a stone studded chain with a gross weight of 21.850 gms and I was given a discount of 15% on the gross weight making the net weight as 18.573 gms while purchase. So since I did not have an option I took it to Lalithaa to get it exchanged but the next shock awaited me there. I was told they'll deduct 35% from the gross weight of the jewel. When I wanted an clear explanation since 15% was the discount given and not 35% I was directed to the Branch Manager, Coimbatore and he says it is the wastage that was incurred and since they did not charge me separately for wastage while purchase they will deduct it now and coloring is because of some chemical like perfume or Amrutanjan getting in contact with the jewel. My daughter was 4 yrs old when she last wore this jewel and do they think I'll apply all these on her?

But this got me thinking and I wanted to know what was causing the discoloring and breakage? So I checked with some other shops regarding the coloring and I was informed that it is because of the effect of cyanide. God forbid nothing happened to my daughter while she was wearing it or when keeping the chain in her mouth (she does this at times). Did not expect this from a brand like Lalithaa. A jewel that is not even 1year old losing color and breaking is poor workmanship and how can they expect the customer to bear the loss for no mistake of his. What would have happeded if my only daughter suffered some health issues because of the cyanide coming out from the jewel?

Ppl don't you think its a scam that this company is involved in by luring the customers with 0% - 9% wastage ads and cheating them with less gold. What do you think should be my next move? Already shot a mail to their MD.

The Gold Thread-lalithaa-bill.jpg

The Gold Thread-p1020309.jpg

The Gold Thread-p1020307.jpg

The Gold Thread-p1020306.jpg
smrtdvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2016, 12:59   #78
BHPian

These guys are BIG Frauds ! I Shot an email to them too and also chased them a few times but they are just not bothered to respond! The Branch Manager is just not ready to buy the Gold back as per the Grams mentioned in the bill !
Wonder what should be the next step !
mohammedismail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2016, 13:13   #79
BHPian

Quote:
These guys are BIG Frauds ! I Shot an email to them too and also chased them a few times but they are just not bothered to respond! The Branch Manager is just not ready to buy the Gold back as per the Grams mentioned in the bill !
Wonder what should be the next step !
The thing I don't understand is y'day as soon as he saw the manager would have known that the discolouring was caused due to cyanide oozing out but he did not accept that but blamed me. Instead of duping if he had charged me with his shops max wastage of 9% I would have paid it without any issues.
Old 6th April 2016, 13:59   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Lalithaa Jewellers Fraud !

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtdvl View Post
... he says it is the wastage that was incurred and since they did not charge me separately for wastage while purchase they will deduct it now...
scam scam scam!

Quote:
and coloring is because of some chemical like perfume or Amrutanjan getting in contact with the jewel. My daughter was 4 yrs old when she last wore this jewel and do they think I'll apply all these on her?
Perfume? Yes, people might put a little perfume on a 4-yr-old. They wouldn't expect it to do any harm, and I'd hope they would be right.

I don't see that it would affect gold jewellery. Gold is famously [almost] inert, and it is damned difficult to get to react with anything! Doesn't that manager know about the stuff he is selling? Though it may become coated with something --- or just plain dirty. Jewellery gets very dirty, with skin oils and fragments, along with dust, penetrating into chain links etc.
Quote:
But this got me thinking and I wanted to know what was causing the discoloring and breakage? So I checked with some other shops regarding the coloring and I was informed that it is because of the effect of cyanide.
My very comprehensive everything-about-jewellery-making book got damaged in the flood. As far as I can remember, cyanide compounds are used in gold-plating. This is not one-whiff-and-you're-dead cyanide, but I am sure it is a hazard to the pavement plating ("polish") guys who, of course, work with no protection from fumes at all.

I don't think that there is any risk to the wearer.

I don't think cyanide compounds have anything to do with actual-gold (rather than plate) manufacture. But I don't know.

Quote:
A jewel that is not even 1year old losing color and breaking is poor workmanship and how can they expect the customer to bear the loss for no mistake of his. What would have happeded if my only daughter suffered some health issues because of the cyanide coming out from the jewel?
Gold ornaments, especially for children, are usually "built down to a price." You get the most impressive thing possible with the minimum amount of gold. This can lead to unreasonable expectations of toughness and longevity. They should educate the customer about this but they don't. Customer would probably think they are just trying to get more money. Yes, they might be, but at least this would be a true reason.

In my experience, fine chain is particularly fragile. I've mended a few, but the owner has to be content that they will get two or three links soldered together. Anything else would require expensive micro-flame kit that I could never afford. And [UK] High-Street jewellers would not even consider the job do-able. I did several "impossible" repairs back in my hobby days!

Quote:
Ppl don't you think its a scam that this company is involved in by luring the customers with 0% - 9% wastage ads and cheating them with less gold. What do you think should be my next move? Already shot a mail to their MD.
It's a pretty piece!

My next move would be to remove the stones (yes, then it's broken, but you don't want it anyway), get the actual weight/purity measured, and sell it as scrap for what you can get. Cut losses and walk away.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2016, 14:34   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Instead of duping if he had charged me with his shops max wastage of 9% I would have paid it without any issues.
This is where the SCAM is! Up front they won't ask for Making charges but they loot customers from the back-door! Poor customers won't understand until they go to sell the Gold!
Old 6th April 2016, 16:02   #82
BHPian

Default Re: Lalithaa Jewellers Fraud !

Quote:

Find out what is the normal practice with other reputed jewellers and if this isn't normal, which surely shouldn't be, file a complaint in Consumer forum.
vamsi.kona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2016, 05:26   #83
BHPian

Thanks all for the suggestions. All shops reduce a certain % on returns/exchange when it comes to jewels with stone in them but that was not my case here. I was forced to return the jewel since it had a defect in it. I sent a mail to their chairman as well as complaints cell. The next day got a call from the branch manager who apologised for the same and agreed to replace the jewel on the net weight as he got instructions from the management. Got it exchanged for a necklace for my lil angel. All in all good customer service I would say.
Old 13th April 2016, 13:10   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks all for the suggestions. ... ... ...The next day got a call from the branch manager who apologised for the same and agreed to replace the jewel on the net weight as he got instructions from the management. Got it exchanged for a necklace for my lil angel. All in all good customer service I would say.
Oh great. Nice that it worked out well.

Customer relations seems to me to be the one biggest thing in retail, but some managers remain unaware of how much some of their staff might be costing them. I regularly visit shops where I'd almost like the chance to be manager, and change a few things. Of course, I'd try to make sure that the staff are happy despite imposing disciplines. Unhappy staff will never result in happy customers.
Old 13th April 2016, 14:12   #85
Senior - BHPian

Corners shall be cut!

These guys have humongous showrooms with glittery lights, Air conditioning,security, servers serving soft drinks etc. On top of that they claim all the zero/minimum wastage , best bang for the buck etc. How can they manage such overheads and make profits ? They have to cut corners or must be money laundering! I cannot think of any other possibilities
sagarpadaki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2016, 18:56   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Any trade has profit built in; it must have. There must be a difference between the gold bullion price and jeweller's selling price per gram. Either that, or they have discovered how to actually create wealth! Perpetual motion is next on their list!
Old 20th April 2016, 18:34   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks all for the suggestions.
I think they don't listen unless an email is shot to the chairman! Like you suggested I sent an email and followed up once and immediately I got a call from Branch Manager who requested to come down to the Outlet for discussion!

However he was not ready to give me money based on the net weight but he agreed to just reduce 3.5 grams from the Net weight compared to 15 Grams earlier! I just agreed because I did not want to argue with the Stupid logics which he was explaining! Thanks smrtdvl
Old 21st April 2016, 00:17   #88
BHPian

Quote:
I think they don't listen unless an email is shot to the chairman! Like you suggested I sent an email and followed up once and immediately I got a call from Branch Manager who requested to come down to the Outlet for discussion!

However he was not ready to give me money based on the net weight but he agreed to just reduce 3.5 grams from the Net weight compared to 15 Grams earlier! I just agreed because I did not want to argue with the Stupid logics which he was explaining! Thanks smrtdvl
Happy to know that I was able to help. One more reason to be proud for being a part of this community.
Old 22nd October 2016, 10:35   #89
BHPian

Could not find a separate thread on sovereign gold bond. How are the gold bonds issued by Govt of India?
inder is offline   Reply With Quote