Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2015, 17:59   #106
BHPian
 
alter.e.go's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 131
Thanked: 46 Times
Default Re: Which electric shaver/razor do you recommend?

I've been using a Philips Aqua touch for quite some time, and happy with it.
The Braun is a travel shaver, I haven't been satisfied with them.

Just my opinion
alter.e.go is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2015, 21:32   #107
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 7,089
Thanked: 3,649 Times
Default Re: Which electric shaver/razor do you recommend?

@heydj; Braun is a foil shaver while Philips is a Rotary While in principle the former gives a closer shave, I have been on the latter since 1974/75. I must say I find the Philips in India to be the bottom range, so do look if you can import. Any Electric needs a period of adjustment. You have to persist for four to six weeks, and only then you start to enjoy
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2015, 11:33   #108
BHPian
 
Jaguar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 557
Thanked: 141 Times
Default Re: Which electric shaver/razor do you recommend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
Thanks Jag.
Do we get it online? Could try and get the pre shave.
Any brand name?
I am using this http://www.amazon.com/Aramis-Series-...QRR273ECCTF8Y2

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
I am looking to get some advise on which electric razor to buy.

Have selected few and could use some feedback:

Braun M60
I am using this and it gives a very close shave. Many friends get surprised when I say that I use an electric shaver. But to get a proper shave, one has to be patient and spend some time. And if the hair grows a bit long, this shaver is useless. I first use a trimmer at the lowest setting and then do my shaving.

Like alterego said, this is a travel shaver and I wouldn't recommend this for regular use. Even during travels, I carry a disposable razor as backup.


Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Any Electric needs a period of adjustment. You have to persist for four to six weeks, and only then you start to enjoy
+1. I have been using electric for 5+ years and won't go back to a regular shaver.

Last edited by Jaguar : 15th April 2015 at 11:35.
Jaguar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2015, 12:03   #109
BHPian
 
heydj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Rotterdam/Delhi
Posts: 308
Thanked: 276 Times
Default Re: Which electric shaver/razor do you recommend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alter.e.go View Post
I've been using a Philips Aqua touch for quite some time, and happy with it.
The Braun is a travel shaver, I haven't been satisfied with them.

Just my opinion
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@heydj; Braun is a foil shaver while Philips is a Rotary While in principle the former gives a closer shave, I have been on the latter since 1974/75.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Braun M60
I am using this and it gives a very close shave. Many friends get surprised when I say that I use an electric shaver.
I am tempted to go for Braun as have read a lot of good reviews about it. How does it matter if its a travel razor, provided shaves are good enough for office meetings.

@sgiitk Even I have read foil razor gives a better shave but from your experience with Rotary this might not be true always. In Philips Aqua touch does having two or three heads makes a difference?
heydj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2015, 12:24   #110
BHPian
 
Jaguar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 557
Thanked: 141 Times
Default Re: Which electric shaver/razor do you recommend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
How does it matter if its a travel razor, provided shaves are good enough for office meetings.
It is like asking why a Merc when you have a Nano with the same seating capacity
Jaguar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2015, 16:08   #111
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Delhi / Chandigarh
Posts: 44
Thanked: 11 Times
Default Re: Which electric shaver/razor do you recommend?

Hello,

Am looking for a trimmer (or should I say clipper) which could be used to trim and maintain side-burns, give a hair cut (using a long comb I suppose, have seen something like this in barber shops and one such device is shown in the vodafone ad too wherein the kid is given a haircut using the machine).

If this could do beard trimming/shaping as well (which I suspect it would), that would be an added bonus. Body grooming (under-arms, chest etc.) is not a requirement.

Not sure if a trimmer is what I should seek or a clipper or a combination of both.

One of the products that I could zero in on post online search is
Philips HC5450/15 Hair Clipper

Any other alternatives?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavSam View Post
Bought the "Philips QT4011/15 Trimmer For Men" Two weeks ago.
Pretty happy with the product.
Very easy to use and 1 hr charging = 90 mins run time is just amazing!
@RavSam - could this product be used for head hair as well with appropriate setting, so as not to get a crew cut (army style, very small hair but a decent trimmed look)?

Any inputs/pointers would be helpful.

Cheers,
S
sukhoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2015, 17:06   #112
BHPian
 
RavSam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Somewhere in MH
Posts: 230
Thanked: 403 Times
Default Re: Which electric shaver/razor do you recommend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi View Post
Hello,

@RavSam - could this product be used for head hair as well with appropriate setting, so as not to get a crew cut (army style, very small hair but a decent trimmed look)?

Any inputs/pointers would be helpful.

Cheers,
S
I haven't tried to do that but I guess so that it should do that pretty well; going by the adjustment levels of the comb.
RavSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2015, 18:44   #113
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 7,089
Thanked: 3,649 Times
Default Re: Which electric shaver/razor do you recommend?

Got my HQ9 cutters for my 8xxx series Philips shaver from Amazon.com. Excellent stuff and pretty prompt supply. However, the DTDC chap used by them could have preoved to be a menace. The chap just threw the packet in my driveway and went away. No ack, nothing. Fortunately, I spotted it and picked it up.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2015, 13:39   #114
BHPian
 
hellmet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: GTA
Posts: 810
Thanked: 637 Times
Default Re: Which electric shaver/razor do you recommend?

Fed up with waiting at hair salons and trying to maintain my crop of hair. Can you guys recommend a good hair clipper that will work on multiple voltages? I plan to keep my hair short forever.
hellmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2015, 12:00   #115
Senior - BHPian
 
PatienceWins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,139
Thanked: 247 Times
Default Re: Which electric shaver/razor do you recommend?

I have been using Remington BHT 300 for the last couple of years. Though the shave is good, it did not last long. I usually shave only 2-3 times a month. The motor has lost power and I do not see any service back up in Bangalore. Seems I have to throw away the product. Not satisfied.

http://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B001..._prd_ttl_sol_0
PatienceWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2015, 17:56   #116
BHPian
 
adhiraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: BLR/CCU
Posts: 62
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Which electric shaver/razor do you recommend?

Hi all,

Any feedback on Philips QT4001/15?

My requirement is beard trimming and Hair cutting as well (military cut).

Thanks
Adhiraj
adhiraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2017, 18:35   #117
Senior - BHPian
 
S_U_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,780
Thanked: 377 Times
Default Re: Which electric shaver/razor do you recommend?

Bumping up an old thread. I am currently using a Mercur DE with very cheap blades.
I get extremely good shave and have learnt not to cut myself (by using a little bit of almond oil rubbed in a few minutes before shaving).

But the only problem is that the whole process takes a good 45-50 minutes.

So, I am trying to evaluate if I should look at electric shavers - but reading this thread it seems that electric shavers cannot give you a close shave in less time.

Any new products worth looking at?
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2017, 19:04   #118
Senior - BHPian
 
theexperthand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,356
Thanked: 1,077 Times
Default Re: Which electric shaver/razor do you recommend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Bumping up an old thread. I am currently using a Mercur DE with very cheap blades.
OT:

Why don't you try with some good quality blades? I use Derby Extra and does my shaving in about 10 minutes ( 2 passes). I can't ever think of going back to anything other than a DE.

If you have not tried it yet, try shaving using mild hot water. Rinse the face with hot water and use hot water to lather the face and dip the razor every time in hot water after cleaning the hairs - I have found that this adds lot of comfort during shaving.

--Anoop
theexperthand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2017, 21:08   #119
Senior - BHPian
 
S_U_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,780
Thanked: 377 Times
Default Re: Which electric shaver/razor do you recommend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
OT:

Why don't you try with some good quality blades? I use Derby Extra and does my shaving in about 10 minutes ( 2 passes). I can't ever think of going back to anything other than a DE.

If you have not tried it yet, try shaving using mild hot water. Rinse the face with hot water and use hot water to lather the face and dip the razor every time in hot water after cleaning the hairs - I have found that this adds lot of comfort during shaving.

--Anoop
I do that as well (hot water).
I have seen these 'premium' type of blades on Amazon, but they seem to be extremely expensive. Is there a source to get them at reasonable price?

My Wilkinson sword cost me Re. 1 per blade - I bought a big packet from Crawford Market, but now I am running out of them. I can easily put a new one each time, but I typically use 2 blades across 3 sessions.
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2017, 23:10   #120
Senior - BHPian
 
theexperthand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,356
Thanked: 1,077 Times
Default Re: Which electric shaver/razor do you recommend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
I do that as well (hot water).
I have seen these 'premium' type of blades on Amazon, but they seem to be extremely expensive. Is there a source to get them at reasonable price?

My Wilkinson sword cost me Re. 1 per blade - I bought a big packet from Crawford Market, but now I am running out of them. I can easily put a new one each time, but I typically use 2 blades across 3 sessions.
I paid around 8$ (540-550 INR) for a pack of 100 and this was picked up by my SIL when she came from US. I shave every other day and a single blade lasts 2 weeks or so (8 to 10 sessions or about 20 passes) so this works out to be super economical. Before I switched to Derby, I was using Gillette 7 O'Clock super platinum and they also used to last long.

--Anoop
theexperthand is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Life on a Razor Edge...Shaving the retro way Guderian Shifting gears 75 10th September 2017 15:31
Hi, this is Razor here razorBlades Introduce yourself 9 22nd October 2009 21:50


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:38.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks