Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 12th August 2009, 13:40   #136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
all of them had one or the other ailment like Pneumonia or Excessive breathing problem or something else.
Heres what wikipedia has to say about the same :

Quote:
Influenza infection can cause pneumonia leading to death. This is typically described as either viral pneumonia, which has a rapid onset, often within one day after infection, or bacterial pneumonia, which often begins a week after infection after symptoms have begun to subside.[203]
Viral pneumonia has sometimes been attributed to "cytokine storm", in which an overly active immune response damages the lungs. Reports of deaths among healthy young people during the first weeks of the 2009 flu pandemic were attributed to this cause.[204]
Read More.
sajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2009, 13:50   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Sajo.

So as per this the Swine Flu leads to these ailments in people who have an overly active immune system.

So does this mean that only people with an overly active immune system will get into serious illness from Swine Flu?

Here is a quote from the same link

Quote:
People at higher risk of serious complications included people age 65 years and older, children younger than 5 years old, pregnant women, and people of any age with underlying medical conditions, such as asthma, diabetes, obesity, heart disease, or a weakened immune system (e.g., taking immunosuppressive medications or infected with HIV).[189][192] According to the CDC, more than 70% of hospitalizations in the U.S. have been people with such underlying conditions.[193]
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2009, 14:39   #138
BHPian

All schools in Mumbai will remain closed till 19th Aug.

But this means people will have more free time and would want to go to malls and theaters, which are places to be avoided, right? So it would make sense if they are shut too.

This also means that exams will be taken on weekends and diwali vacations will be cut short.
URJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2009, 13:24   #139
BHPian

Read an interesting blog by Suhasini Haider (CNN-IBN) :
IBNLive : Suhasini Haidar's Blog : You gotta live a little

Only question is if she had the conviction why did she not use the channel to atleast forcefully
educate the "literate" masses !! But on this subject I think the channels atleast did not openly support the shutting down of services.

On a lighter note, Central Railway in Mumbai must have prayed that the political parties should have clamoured to shut down the Mumbai local services too so that they could have had a Super Mega Block !!
emkay456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2009, 14:48   #140
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks Sajo.

So as per this the Swine Flu leads to these ailments in people who have an overly active immune system.

So does this mean that only people with an overly active immune system will get into serious illness from Swine Flu?

Here is a quote from the same link
Disclaimer: I am not a doctor.

Over exposure to petrol would trigger Eosinophilia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia in me.

It so happened that I was working on my car and sucked petrol into my mouth by mistake. Was actually trying to clean the carb.

The tests that were conducted showed a high concentrartion on Eosinophillia.
These tests were repeated whenever I would get the symptoms.
In all such tests high Eosinophills would be accompanied with a high WBC count.

Maybe the article incorrectly assumes that a high wbc count is high immunity levels.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2009, 15:17   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by URJA View Post
All schools in Mumbai will remain closed till 19th Aug.

But this means people will have more free time and would want to go to malls and theaters, which are places to be avoided, right? So it would make sense if they are shut too.

This also means that exams will be taken on weekends and diwali vacations will be cut short.

Totally illogical overreaction action by the Mumbai sarkar. They might as well have slapped a curfew order on kids as otherwise children will be playing with each other and this is hardly going to stop the spread of swine flu. Also what about parents bringing the virus home?

In England there has been talk of school closures but the government said no such thing would happen. The cases over here have fallen from a peak of 100,000 a week to 30,000. People are told to stay at home if they have the symptoms and they can phone a helpline where they go through some algorithm questioning to decide if you have swine flu. No queues for H1N1 testing over here.

It is strange all the panic this has caused in India. You see all those people standing with facemasks in queus. Face masks are hardly going to stop you getting swine flu and besides facemasks have very limited use and do not filter everything.
bigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2009, 15:24   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
... It is strange all the panic this has caused in India. You see all those people standing with facemasks in queus. Face masks are hardly going to stop you getting swine flu and besides facemasks have very limited use and do not filter everything.
I believe this is how most of the spreading happens!

People of all kinds, that is relative of the infected, on-lookers, people trying to make a quick buck by offering special faster test and also the tea hawker all move around where the infected (or supposedly infected) person has come to get a test done!

So, even if you don't have it, one such visit might be all that it takes.

HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2009, 15:25   #143
Senior - BHPian

I saw a moron today on a bike wearing a surgical mask but no helmet.

I knew neither to laugh or cry.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2009, 15:30   #144
BHPian

looks like banglaore has had its first casulty. Flu spreading fast. A 26 year old teacher Roopa succumbed to the H1N1 at philomenas hospital, hope kids in her school havent been infected as well.
brat001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2009, 15:47   #145
BHPian

Yesterday, on TV I saw Time's Now channel, inverview some swine flu surviours, according to them it was just a little stronger than a normal flu, one of them only had a swore throwth. Then why are people dying from the same?
musicmanaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2009, 15:56   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire
I saw a moron today on a bike wearing a surgical mask but no helmet.
Pune is full of such people these days & its really sad to see that this is a city where people march out protests against helmet rule
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2009, 16:14   #147
BHPian

The State Govt is also suffering from the fatigue of Swine Flue and decided to take a holiday tomorrow on the pretext of Dahi Handi !! Local holiday for State Govt declared in Mumbai and suburbs !!

On one hand discourage public from landing at Dahi handi celebrations and on the other hand give holiday so that they can go for it. This fence sitting or middle of the line approach has been the hallmark of the Govts for some time now !!
emkay456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2009, 16:25   #148
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Pune is full of such people these days & its really sad to see that this is a city where people march out protests against helmet rule
I felt the same when protests were held in Hyderabad against the Helmet rule.

Even told one of the leaders of such protests what I felt about him in no uncertain terms.

But then I look around.
People wear non-ISI helmets.
They don't strap them up.
They stuff mobile phones inside the helmet to continue talking while riding.
Place helmets like a cap with the chin guard at the forehead.
Use scotch tape to keep the helmet as one piece.

I only feel some people don't really care about their own lives.
They are plain stupid.

Science and rational behavior takes a back seat to superstition and panic.
This swine flu panic is nothing more than the regular non-sense we are accustomed. Filth overflows in all our cities.
Pesticide flavors our food and chemicals fill the air.

less than a 100 people have swine flu and everyone wears a face mask...2 million people have aids, but no one bothers to wear a condom.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2009, 16:32   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay456 View Post
On one hand discourage public from landing at Dahi handi celebrations and on the other hand give holiday so that they can go for it.
Some schools in Bangalore have been closed for about a week's time. It's high time people understood the intention of the school management and behave responsibly. This is not meant to be an opportunity to have a vacation or a day out at the mall.

I also see no reason why people need to be told to stay home in case they have obvious symptoms of flu - especially cough. And I say this for any flu any time of the year. I had a tough time convincing my kid's pre-school teacher to ask parents not to send their children if they are clearly unwell. Not only do they suffer more, they also end up passing the infection to other children. Her excuse was "this is how they get immunity". Right!

Last edited by CBlazer : 13th August 2009 at 16:46.
CBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2009, 16:39   #150
Senior - BHPian

The 7 year old girl who died in Vadodara lived in my sister's colleague's building. She was the only child ( no brother or sister ) and parents were very very quick in taking her to hospital. She told my sister than the girl just had some cold and a single sneeze, the parents at once took her to hospital. Initially she did show some recovery also, but later she died.

This is how dangerous this is. This girl was taken to hospital on time still this happened. Also the fact is that TamiFlu for children under 12 years of age is not good.

Latest news is that for 24 hours Pune vegetable markets are closed. I am trying for Symbiosis Center for Distance Learning, but no body is picking up call. All my cousins and friends in that institute are back. Pune seems to be the worst affected city in India.
aaggoswami is online now   Reply With Quote