Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 13th August 2009, 16:50   #151
Senior - BHPian

Has testing started in various cities other than Pune? Hope the virus does not spread to alarming levels.
What will closing the schools achieve? How long can they do this and do they hope the virus will be gone after that? With the way we live, its really scary. I just hope hotels and other such establishments take care.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2009, 17:02   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanaman View Post
Yesterday, on TV I saw Time's Now channel, inverview some swine flu surviours, according to them it was just a little stronger than a normal flu, one of them only had a swore throwth. Then why are people dying from the same?
Thats true there have been cases in the UK where people just thought they had a normal flu and recovered quite easily.

Here the priority cases are immunocompromised people, infants under 1, pregnant women, patients with vascular problems and those with diabetes.

Good job the government are controlling Tamiflu supplies as with the pop a pill culture quacks would have a field day.

The virus levels will peak then come down, thats what has happened in England. However the medical folks over here are more concerned about the second phase of the virus and mutation. So far the virus has not shown signs of mutation. Field trials of a vaccine have been started over here. It is thought that medical professionals, school children and vulnerable people will get first access to the vaccine stock.

Last edited by bigman : 13th August 2009 at 17:05.
bigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2009, 17:16   #153
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, specially Docs, please advise.

I am feeling slightly under the weather since yesterday afternoon. No fever, no cold, no sore throat either, no body ache. Just a slight headache and that feeling of not-feeling-so-well. Now, the biggest worry for me is that i have a 3 month old child at home.

How worried should i be? What are the chances that if i have the dreaded flu, it can pass on to my child, without doing any damage to me?
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2009, 17:21   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Has testing started in various cities other than Pune? Hope the virus does not spread to alarming levels.
What will closing the schools achieve? How long can they do this and do they hope the virus will be gone after that? With the way we live, its really scary.
Our neighbor visited SSG hospital. They are just ill equipped to deal with even testing. Very bad management with not enough stock of both, medicine and masks.
The situation is scary to say the least.

The doctors have done black marketign of the masks and medicines. No offense to any doctor, we have 7 doctors in close relatives, but this is truth at least in case of Vadodara. I cannot reveal the source who informed me about this, but that human is an employee at SSG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
The virus levels will peak then come down, thats what has happened in England. However the medical folks over here are more concerned about the second phase of the virus and mutation.
India has different living conditions and standards than England. The public places are dense and dirty in most of the cases in India. Hence the virus is spreading fast.
I dont know what is the peak, but the numbers are increasing. Moreover the Indian government is too late to react.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2009, 18:39   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post

Now, the biggest worry for me is that i have a 3 month old child at home.
don't want you to let your guards down, but the fact is most breast fed babies don't even get many seasonal illnesses because they get their antibodies from the mother, which gives them better immunity, flu or otherwise. I have seen my own son perfectly healthy when both of us were down with cold and possibly flu. But we can't say the same for this flu

I would say follow basic precautions mentioned in this thread.

EDIT: here is a link from an approved site. Even they say they don't know what's best for feeding infants.
CDC H1N1 Flu | Novel H1N1 Flu (Swine Flu) and Feeding your Baby: What Parents Should Know

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 13th August 2009 at 18:40.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2009, 18:56   #156
Senior - BHPian

I see anyone sneezing i run as far as possible, the virus is surely gona scare the hell out of everyone!
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2009, 19:03   #157
BHPian

Red face

Quote:

I am feeling slightly under the weather since yesterday afternoon. No fever, no cold, no sore throat either, no body ache. Just a slight headache and that feeling of not-feeling-so-well. Now, the biggest worry for me is that i have a 3 month old child at home.

How worried should i be? What are the chances that if i have the dreaded flu, it can pass on to my child, without doing any damage to me?
dude i had a similar "under the weather" feeling for 2 days (no headache though but tired eyes, lil pain while swallowing, strange feeling in nose, etc) and kept taking some homeopathic meds prescribed by my grandpa. It seems the climate this time of year brings a lot of such symptoms and they may not be related to swine flu. I have heard the situation in hospitals is bad and one can get infected waiting to get in there. Your immunity maybe strong enough to handle whatever you have, so don't fret. For now, self isolate for next 5-6, stay away from baby and take care buddy!

Last edited by jassi : 13th August 2009 at 19:06.
jassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2009, 19:24   #158
Senior - BHPian

In Bangalore, all cases are without anything related to foreign travel. Most fatalities in India does not seem to be due to any other underlying causes unline west.
Damn the virus.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2009, 19:51   #159
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks guys. I am already taking the precautions. I am the biggest consumer of the hand sanitizers in the company!! hehe.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2009, 23:02   #160
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys guys guys!
We are here only to give advice on pros and cons. Do not ask us do I have swine flu? I can't diagnose over the web just by symptoms. There are many posts here outling the differences between normal and swine flu. Be smart and do the right thing. If you are still worried, go to your family doctor, do not overcrowd hospitals. Let your doc check you and advice further steps if necessary.
So, please don't take any docs diagnosis here and especially non doctors diagnosis. Remain calm, analyze your symptoms and them decide what you want to do.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2009, 00:41   #161
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
The doctors have done black marketign of the masks and medicines. No offense to any doctor, we have 7 doctors in close relatives, but this is truth at least in case of Vadodara.

Moreover the Indian government is too late to react.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
dude i had a similar "under the weather" feeling for 2 days (no headache though but tired eyes, lil pain while swallowing, strange feeling in nose, etc) and kept taking some homeopathic meds prescribed by my grandpa.
For now, self isolate for next 5-6, stay away from baby and take care buddy!
Been following this thread with some interest over the last few days, without commenting of my own.

At this point, now that the panic related to the H1N1 virus is so evidently widespread among even fellow bhp-ians, please bear with my point of view as given below and take things a little easier.

First off, trust your general physician/paediatrician - let her/him decide whether your cough, cold and fever are signs of influenza or not. And then again, let her/him decide next, if you have Influenza A H1N1.

Second, you have about 1000x greater chances of dying from a road-traffic accident than from influenza caused by a specific type of virus (it's an RNA virus, of the Influenza-A variety - there also exist viruses of the Influenza-B variety, and, in layman's language, it's RNA bears the signature of H1N1 - the common cold virus is a cousin of this fellow, with similar signatures like H3N2, and the bird flu virus signed out as H5N1). So don't panic.

Third, the virus everybody is so scared of, does not kill. What kills is your own body's reaction against the virus infection - through a process called the cytokine storm. Before you get to that stage, your body is capable of healing itself in 99.99% of cases. Even if your body does set off such a reaction (the cytokine storm), chances of your recovering from it are about 80%. So statistically, even if you DO get H1N1 infection, the chances of dying of it are just about 0.002% (20% of 0.01%). (Morbid thoughts, these, but that's exactly why you are panicking, aren't you? Because you are scared to death of death?!)

Fourth, don't worry too much about those face masks. Like everybody taught us since we were born, cover your mouth and nose when you sneeze or cough - you're supposed to do it all the time anyway! If you do have a cough and cold (mind you, just an ordinary cough and cold, not such fancy stuff as H1N1) you were made to stay home as a kid - follow the same advice and stay at home as a responsible adult. (This panic might get out of hand soon, and you may just be lynched for sneezing in public, but that is another risk to life unrelated to the swine flu virus! ) If you do have a cough and cold, please feel free to wear a surgical mask (or even a home-made one with a few layers of fine-woven cloth) or a N95 or even N99 mask - just so as not to spread your own germs around.

Fifth: One advice that is best followed - stay away from a dense crowd, where someone may not be covering her/his mouth & nose while discharging his body fluids as a fine aerosol into the atmosphere, less than 1 metre from you. It may not be H1N1, it will most likely be a more common virus - but why expose yourself to germs and then worry, if you can avoid the exposure? In a movie hall, you are USUALLY 1 metre away from the next person - so go and enjoy a movie and forget your worries, if you find the halls open (you might even be offered a discount).

Sixth, don't self-medicate yourself with allopathic drugs. As someone with knowledge limited only to the allopathic stream of medicine, I prefer not to comment on homeopathy, ayurveda, unani and any other forms of medicine. You are welcome to take them with or without doctor's advice when you have cough/cold/fever, but please see your family physician allopath if things are not good after 48 hours.

Seventh, don't bother to queue up for H1N1 testing, just because it's being done free (i.e. with the money you paid as taxes). You run greater risks of picking up an infection in the crowd, than if you just stayed home. If your doctor suspects you do need the test, he WILL order it. It's a fancy test done by a method called RT-PCR (reverse transcriptase-polymerase chain reaction - if you insist on knowing), and now that private labs have been authorized to procure the kits and run the test, your access to the test will be as easy as doing a Hb/TLC/DLC. Which brings us back full circle, to point number one - trust your doctor. If you don't trust him, find one you can trust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Do not ask us do I have swine flu?
Remain calm...
That sums it all up.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 14th August 2009 at 00:48.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2009, 06:24   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
If you are still worried, go to your family doctor, do not overcrowd hospitals. Let your doc check you and advice further steps if necessary.
So, please don't take any docs diagnosis here and especially non doctors diagnosis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller
don't bother to queue up for H1N1 testing, You run greater risks of picking up an infection in the crowd, than if you just stayed home.
These two posts have most important massages. May i request fellow BHPians not to post what they are doing to safe guard themselves and non doctors to refrain from giving suggestions and forwarding mails about any type of medication.
I am sorry if i hurt somebody's feelings but in my opinion this is what we should do as responsible citizens.
mohang_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2009, 10:55   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

Read a superb joke about the misconceptions regarding swine flu. Here it is to lighten things up:
Attached Images

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 14th August 2009 at 10:56. Reason: typo
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2009, 11:17   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
The 7 year old girl who died in Vadodara lived in my sister's colleague's building. She was the only child ( no brother or sister ) and parents were very very quick in taking her to hospital. She told my sister than the girl just had some cold and a single sneeze, the parents at once took her to hospital. Initially she did show some recovery also, but later she died.

Would you be in a position to know whether antibiotics were prescribed to her initially on seeing the doctor ?? There are two schools of thought among GPs. I have had experience where few were dead against prescribing antibiotics straight away on a viral attack while on the other hand few are there who believe that in the polluted world we live in, it is better to start off with antibiotics. My feeling is that in this H1N1 attack, antibiotics may be weakening the immune system for the relapse (in most cases) turning out fatal !!
emkay456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2009, 11:28   #165
BHPian

Smile

^^ tejas nice one

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohang_j View Post
These two posts have most important massages. May i request fellow BHPians not to post what they are doing to safe guard themselves and non doctors to refrain from giving suggestions and forwarding mails about any type of medication.
I am sorry if i hurt somebody's feelings but in my opinion this is what we should do as responsible citizens.
I agree, but given that this is a swine flu information thread, people are bound to share their symptoms, fears, alternate therapies or even medication they are taking for swine flu or other flu like symptoms - however it would have to be someone really really dumb to follow medication posted by a non-doctor here.
So i think the request should be for people to not follow medication related advise on this thread. Some level of self assessment as per Tejas' spreadsheet and other doc's advice is ok though.
jassi is offline   Reply With Quote