Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 14th August 2009, 12:19   #166
BHPian

Please read a rediff interview with Sh. Dinesh Trivedi, Min. of State for Health & FW :
'We have enough centres for testing. Why panic?': Rediff.com news

- He sounds far more convincing than Sh. Azad.
- Interesting to read his comments on Mumbai panic - Page 3 of the interview.
emkay456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2009, 12:43   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
I agree, but given that this is a swine flu information thread, people are bound to share their symptoms, fears, alternate therapies or even medication they are taking for swine flu or other flu like symptoms - however it would have to be someone really really dumb to follow medication posted by a non-doctor here.
So i think the request should be for people to not follow medication related advise on this thread.
Jassi, the way SMS mail chains regarding Swine flu are flooding Isn't it sensible not to post unnecessary medications. I am not against posting the experience / concerns. Many people try all sorts of medication before going to doctors. I don't know what do you call them dumb -smart panic etc.
mohang_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2009, 12:45   #168
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
At this point, now that the panic related to the H1N1 virus is so evidently widespread among even fellow bhp-ians, please bear with my point of view as given below and take things a little easier.
I think calling my query "panic" is taking it a bit too far! I'd rather ask you to chill
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2009, 14:52   #169
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I think calling my query "panic" is taking it a bit too far!
Good heavens, amitoj, where have I called your query "panic"? There's absolutely no personal reference to anyone in my post.
Quote:
I'd rather ask you to chill
...in the heat of Delhi? Sure. You ought to look at my AC bills!
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2009, 15:12   #170
BHPian

I got a mail stating preventative medication for Swine FLU

Quote:
The article below mentions two preventive homeopathic medicines for swine flu, ‘Influenzinum 1M’ for adults and ‘Influenz 200’ for kids to prevent them from contracting the disease. You might find it useful.

Homoeo cure likely for H1N1
Is this information correct?
thebagchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2009, 15:13   #171
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Good heavens, amitoj, where have I called your query "panic"? There's absolutely no personal reference to anyone in my post.

...in the heat of Delhi? Sure. You ought to look at my AC bills!
Oh. I misunderstood, seeing my post quoted there! Anyhoo... am feeling much better today, thank heavens for that. I just hope it doesnt come back

Anyway, there was an article in the paper today, TOI ofcourse. Some article about how a "dhoop" is supposed to be an effective repellant for the flu. It also mentioned that swine flu is airborne!! I am a fool for still hoping that newspapers will get their stories right. Here is the link
?Ayurveda can boost immunity?

Last edited by amitoj : 14th August 2009 at 15:20.
Old 14th August 2009, 15:28   #172
BHPian

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohang_j View Post
Jassi, the way SMS mail chains regarding Swine flu are flooding Isn't it sensible not to post unnecessary medications. I am not against posting the experience / concerns. Many people try all sorts of medication before going to doctors. I don't know what do you call them dumb -smart panic etc.
dude i agree with your points - the mayhem out there needs to be arrested. Fortunately i am not getting any sms or mail chains
Also i don't think anyone has posted any swine flu medication on this thread so far (apart from tamiflu) - my apologies if i missed it and I hope tbhpians are sensible enough to not pick up medication info from public forums, smses or email chains

Edit - Ok my apologies, i did miss thebagchi's post above. But i completely agree with emkay's response below. Homeopathy or alternative therapies or yoga can help up your immunity and reduce the severity of symptoms if you do get infected. Lets leave it at that and not discuss any further sure fire cures here, unless its a doc (homeopath or allopath) posting the same or some government announcement.

Last edited by jassi : 14th August 2009 at 15:38.
jassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2009, 15:29   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebagchi View Post
I got a mail stating preventative medication for Swine FLU

Is this information correct?
As mentioned in the report itself no cure can be suggested in homeo as yet as no H1N1 + patient has been treated in India yet by Homeopaths. Having said that, there is conflicting opinion regarding using Influenzinum as a prophylactic in H1N1. Many homeopaths are rummaging through records of previous flue pandemics in the 20th century and based on that what comes out is that Gelsemium is a safer bet.
But as mentioned in my previous postings, the general approach for prophylaxis among homeopaths is medicines which would reduce sufferings and let viral infections run a mild course. I am not sure how anyone can claim 100 % success in preventing flu contraction as it depends a lot on immunity levels of each individual.
emkay456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2009, 20:57   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Anyway, there was an article in the paper today, TOI ofcourse. Some article about how a "dhoop" is supposed to be an effective repellant for the flu. It also mentioned that swine flu is airborne!!
If the Bangalore edition of TOI is carrying same article with same heading as TOI Delhi, then the heading is absolutely misleading and irresponsible. Nowhere in the body of the article did it mention that this flu is airborne. Its like making an allegation and not having proof to show for it. The print media as well as electronic media (Headlines Today comes to mind) should show more restrain and responsibility.
Guite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2009, 22:37   #175
BANNED

WHAT SYMPTOMS AND PRECAUTIONS FOR KIDS ....?

Generally we are a large group of parents on this forum. Anyone can list out few things on how to keep our kids at a safe distance from getting affected. Especially after the govt., declaring it a PANDEMIC. More than the actual virus affecting us , we are all mentally getting affected and a panic like situation has arisen.

1) What about school - Do we need to continue , if yes - How , If not - What?
2) Kid having only cold and blocked nose - Is it normal or what?
3) Kids having only cough and nothing else - Is it normal or what?

What basic symptoms of kid being affected can be followed by a layman....?

Any Doctors on board who can give correct information.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 14th August 2009 at 22:38.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2009, 22:39   #176
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
If the Bangalore edition of TOI is carrying same article with same heading as TOI Delhi, then the heading is absolutely misleading and irresponsible.
Not sure about that. The heading is there in the link i posted earlier.

By the way, the following link i almost posted in the Jokes thread but then thought i will post it here to lighten the mood:
BBC NEWS | Special Reports | Airborne rabbis fight off swine flu
Old 14th August 2009, 22:56   #177
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
WHAT SYMPTOMS AND PRECAUTIONS FOR KIDS ....?

Generally we are a large group of parents on this forum. Anyone can list out few things on how to keep our kids at a safe distance from getting affected. Especially after the govt., declaring it a PANDEMIC. More than the actual virus affecting us , we are all mentally getting affected and a panic like situation has arisen.

1) What about school - Do we need to continue , if yes - How , If not - What?
2) Kid having only cold and blocked nose - Is it normal or what?
3) Kids having only cough and nothing else - Is it normal or what?

Any Doctors on board who can give correct information.
PRECAUTION? Only this:

WASH WASH WASH YOUR HANDS BEFORE EATING, TOUCHING YOUR EYES OR NOSE. THAT'S ALL! NO MASKS, NO INCENSE, NO TANTRIK, NO MAGIC POTIONS, NOTHING, ZILCH, JUST WASH WASH WASH YOUR HANDS EVERYTIME. DRILL THIS INTO YOUR CHILDREN.

Quote:
What about school - Do we need to continue , if yes - How , If not - What?
That depends from school to school. Listen to what school authorities are saying. If there are children affected, then they will shut the school down otherwise no issue.

Go to your family doctor if your child is unwell, even if you are sure it's normal flu. The child will also need medicine for that as well right?

Quote:
See the page and post mentioned in the title of this thread.

For all: From now on, i'm gonna refrain from answering diagnostic and treatment related queries.

PLEASE REMEMBER I REPEAT AGAIN: Monsoon has played truant for sometime, when it comes back like normal monsoons, the cases of common cold (flu) will rise; do not panic and confuse with swine flu and do not overcrowd hospitals.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2009, 23:08   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not sure about that. The heading is there in the link i posted earlier.

By the way, the following link i almost posted in the Jokes thread but then thought i will post it here to lighten the mood:
BBC NEWS | Special Reports | Airborne rabbis fight off swine flu
until I saw the photo on that link, in my mind I had somehow thought of it as airborne rabies
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2009, 00:27   #179
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
until I saw the photo on that link, in my mind I had somehow thought of it as airborne rabies
LOL. At first few glances at the link, i thought it said "airborne rabbits fight off swine flu"
Old 15th August 2009, 00:55   #180
BHPian

Smile

Quote:
LOL. At first few glances at the link, i thought it said "airborne rabbits fight off swine flu"
i thought it was air borne RABIES till i started reading
jassi is offline   Reply With Quote