Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 15th August 2009, 01:19   #181
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
The 7 year old girl who died in Vadodara lived in my sister's colleague's building.
what treatment did the hospital follow?

I suspect that initially hospitals might have been a bit confused or un-prepared to deal with H1N1. As time passes hospitals will get better at diagnosis and treatment. Every day brings new hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Remain calm, analyze your symptoms and them decide what you want to do.
Tejas, most docs I have spoken too are quite calm about this virus. The only fear I have is that Tamiflu is not available as freely and also there are rumours that this medication (especially the pediatric syrup) is out of stock.

The problem is that with the media dishing out so much information the real info is lost in the 'noise'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
WHAT SYMPTOMS AND PRECAUTIONS FOR KIDS ....?

Generally we are a large group of parents on this forum. Anyone can list out few things on how to keep our kids at a safe .
Most schools are following their own logic. Most schools are closed till 19th or 24th or some even till the 30th. My son's school decided to close school for the prep-4th till the 30th.
a, the younger kids are more at risk
b. the younger kids have adequate time to catch up
c. the younger kids do not have any exams and almost the entire class is promoted anyway. the teachers of these younger classes gave parents a list of school studies they should do at home.

Quote:
PLEASE REMEMBER I REPEAT AGAIN: Monsoon has played truant for sometime, when it comes back like normal monsoons, the cases of common cold (flu) will rise; do not panic and confuse with swine flu and do not
overcrowd hospitals.
This is exactly what I was telling my wife. Once the monsoons come the problems and panic will worsen. Hopefuly by that time the hospitals will have learnt to diagnose and treat more efficiently.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2009, 18:54   #182
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Tejas, most docs I have spoken too are quite calm about this virus. The only fear I have is that Tamiflu is not available as freely and also there are rumours that this medication (especially the pediatric syrup) is out of stock.
I had asked this same question during the workshop.

"If you or anyone else has been diagnosed with swine flu, you will get your dose from the government, be 100% assured about that."

There is enough, and someone with brains in the government (definitely a non politician) is controlling the stock very effectively. If the government releases the stock in the open market, there will be panic buying (like what happened with tetracycline during the surat plague scare), and worse; people will buy and self medicate causing the virus to mutate. And then there will be a reason to worry.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2009, 19:10   #183
BHPian

^^ tejas your point above helps me have some faith in our system/government !

Last edited by jassi : 15th August 2009 at 19:13.
jassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2009, 20:22   #184
BHPian

Quote:
There is enough, and someone with brains in the government (definitely a non politician) is controlling the stock very effectively.
Great to hear the assurance. Finally the important point is that it has to be a non-politician as that breed in India would never ensure confidence. Politician + media is a deadlier combination than any virus or disease in this country.
emkay456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2009, 19:00   #185
BHPian

Hi

Attached is some useful information about Swine Flu.

Also do check out Wikipedia.

Hope it helps
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Swine Flu Info.pdf (273.0 KB, 184 views)
rageshbhaskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2009, 00:22   #186
BHPian

Hey Doc Thanks a lot being a dad of two this is vital info pray guys that this horrible disease leaves our wondefull country
Team Fiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2009, 11:33   #187
BHPian

Default Mid-day report on origin of H1N1 at Pune

Please see this very interesting link tracing the origin of H1N1 in Pune leading to the devastation :

Boy who gave Pune the Big F

Last edited by emkay456 : 17th August 2009 at 11:37.
Old 17th August 2009, 15:50   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay456 View Post
Please see this very interesting link
I cant make out from your post whether you believe the crap or not.

But interesting?? Its utter BS.

The 5 secs of fame syndrome is more worrying then the Flu itself.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2009, 16:07   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
I cant make out from your post whether you believe the crap or not.

But interesting?? Its utter BS.
I have to reserve my judgment over the report. Multiple issues here :

- Whether the guy himself came to meet the reporters for publicity ??
- Who is the source from where the reporters reached upto him. Definitely looks like some leaks from the Authorities side who were on the job of tracing origins of each case initially in Pune on orders of the Govt.
- The morality in leaking such an information (or disinformation ) knowing how reactive our general public are ?

Therefore I would consider the report to be a BS or Crap if the first point above was true but NOT if the second one was true (which would give authenticity) . The third point obviously is something to be debated upon.
Old 17th August 2009, 16:13   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
- Whether the guy himself came to meet the reporters for publicity ??
What boy? Who? How? I am talking about the reporter.

Quote:
- Who is the source from where the reporters reached upto him. Definitely looks like some leaks from the Authorities side who were on the job of tracing origins of each case initially in Pune on orders of the Govt.
This is made up. Pure fantasizing by a reporter who shouldn't be one. These are the kind of stories every reporter dreams of breaking.

The originator of the killer swine flu in Pune - found by me.

Quote:
- The morality in leaking such an information (or disinformation ) knowing how reactive our general public are ?
It is being made up. Purely. Now we have morons here in India who are also law keepers so anything can be proved.
Old 17th August 2009, 16:23   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
This is made up. Pure fantasizing by a reporter who shouldn't be one. These are the kind of stories every reporter dreams of breaking.
Accepting your argument of this being a made up story for moment, how would you explain the boy entering into an interview and divulging all the details from his side, unless he himself too believed in the whole thing.

Anyway you are entitled to your opinion. Lets leave it at that.
Old 17th August 2009, 16:33   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How much does it take to get a boy on camera?

My opinion for all its worth doesn't even matter, what matters is the degradation of our society.

A reporter comes out with a story of having found the one single person to have spread swine flu in Pune.

Do you or anyone who found the story interesting even realize that a swine flu infected person might never go beyond showing symptoms of normal flu and get over it? But still spread the flu around?

The flu could have been spread by a person who didn't even know he/she had it and never got diagnosed for it.

Whatever knowledge held in this thread about swine flu is lost. Lost to utter senseless article by a person who thinks he knows more - the reporter i mean, just in case you might think i am pointing at you.

We should condemn such people very strongly. I am going to shoot a mail to this worthless reporter and his higher ups, even though i know its not going to change anything.
Old 17th August 2009, 16:35   #193

Default Please do not panic, follow instructions of the Doctor

Dear fellow Team-BHPians,

I have read all 13 pages on the Swine Flu (H1N1) thread here. I did not notice anyone giving his/her experience who was actually affected. Please do correct me if I have missed it here. The following annecdote is NOT to make people complacent but a guidance how to keep a level head through out the infection period.

During this panic period, my wife and myself had to visit Bangalore as my Mother-in-Law had been seriously ill and recovered and had expressed to see her daughter. We returned back within two days. During the return train journey, someone in the compartment in the neighbouring cubicle was contineously coughing throughout the night. Well, it seems I caught something and within 3 days I had the classical symptoms of "viral infection". I was really scared and my family doctor was promptly consulted and he gave detailed guidelines on treatment and specifically informed, that I should restrict myself to remain at home for specific number of days. On recovery, he advised if it was not inconvenient, I should stay at home for a further few days so that I do not get infected by any other infection as my body may be susceptible. During this period there was a self imposed curfew by people of Pune and we went out of the house only for some urgent purchase of daily needs like milk etc and quickly came back home.

Moral of the incident :-

(1) Promptly visit family doctor and give him/her ALL DETAILS about your condition and meticulously follow his advise. I have known people to give incomplete information and then blame the doctor. The doctor is not a magician.
(2) Follow guidelines declared by Government of India from time to time for your city as these get updated specific to those cities and under Indian conditions.
(3) Most essential, please do not panic and follow guidelines given by your family doctor and if referred to hospital, to the hospital doctors.

Please note, I have not given details about my treatment to avoid people to indulge in self treatment. Luckily it turned out, it was not H1N1.

= Shishya =

PS : Moderator, may take decision to publish above or not or modify depending on its merit
shishya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2009, 16:43   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Accepting your argument of this being a made up story for moment, how would you explain the boy entering into an interview and divulging all the details from his side, unless he himself too believed in the whole thing.

That article seems like utter hogwash.

On the contrary, from what I have heard through grapevine, there was a "morcha" at house of this boy, complaining that this boy brought Swine flu and related misery to all Punekars (Puneites). As if this guy was bough few Swine Flu virus from US and sprinkled them all around Pune city. Really sickening!
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2009, 21:40   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishya View Post
(3) Most essential, please do not panic and follow guidelines given by your family doctor and if referred to hospital, to the hospital doctors.
shishya, good points. Allow me to make a small grammatical correction. Your laso point should have read:

(3) Most essential, please do not panic and do follow guidelines given by your family doctor and if referred to hospital, to the hospital doctors.

Note the addition of the verb "DO" before "follow". Alternatively you can say: ...please do not panic and please follow guidelines...

As for the Mid Day report, I have never trusted that newspaper/tabloid. Enough said!
Guite is offline   Reply With Quote