Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 17th August 2009, 22:24   #196
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay456 View Post
Would you be in a position to know whether antibiotics were prescribed to her initially on seeing the doctor ?? There are two schools of thought among GPs.
It is said that earlier the doctors took it as normal flu and gave medicines accordingly, but the condition of patient became serious. Only after that, the doctors realized that its case of Swine Flu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
what treatment did the hospital follow?
I suspect that initially hospitals might have been a bit confused or un-prepared to deal with H1N1. As time passes hospitals will get better at diagnosis and treatment. Every day brings new hope.
Initially it was recognized as normal flu. The condition of patient worsened and then the dose of Tamiflu was started. After the dose of tamiflu, the girl showed improvement in health, but that could not last long and eventually the girl died.

The sequence of events :
The girl was taken to hospital after the initial sneeze ( I think cold ) as the parents were very concerned about their only child. The girl was behaving normal and no seriousness was noticed when the child was taken to hospital.
The hospital thought of this as normal flu and gave treatment accordingly, but condition of girl became serious and media came to know about this.
Doctors realized that this was case of Swine Flu and started treatment. Intially after treatment with Tamiflu, the girl did show some improvement, but later on the condition deteriorated and eventually she died.

Some grapevine news is that doctors gave overdose as they were not able to diagnose the disease in earlier stage. By the time the real treatment started, the condition of patient was quite serious.

Today's TOI and local daily have some news that the girl child did not die because of Swine Flu which is a joke for sure. They are trying to hide face otherwise officials would not have visited the building where the girl resided.
The dead body was not handed over to parents or was straight taken to perform last rites. But the parents were not happy about the way the dead body was handled after death of their child.

One more thing : overdose of medicine is also one of the reasons that is doing rumors as the doctors were late in identifying the disease till the health of patient was serious.

I would also like to post what the Gujarat government has done. After the death of child, health officials visited the building, checked everyone in the building and gave some dose of Tamiflu to all the residents with very very precise instructions that if any of symptoms they ( officials ) specify are seen in any of the residents, the residents must contact officials at once.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 17th August 2009 at 22:33.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2009, 19:05   #197

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
shishya, good points. Allow me to make a small grammatical correction. Your laso point should have read:
Guite : Post # 195
Thanks for the corrections, I appreciate the same.
=Shishya=
shishya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2009, 14:37   #198
Team-BHP Support

http://www.indiaplaza.in/3m-usa-8210...0810200901.htm

Everyone wants a share in the pie.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2009, 14:14   #199
Senior - BHPian

Another viral infection running amok in UP
Mystery virus kills 137 in UP, experts clueless - India - NEWS - The Times of India
We still live in filth everywhere. Can we take these things as a wake up call in this country. I hope media creates positive enough frenzy and force people to adopt safe practices and create a hygienic environment.
srishiva is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2009, 16:00   #200
BHPian

It is easy to say "DO NOT PANIC" but when it comes to you or any of your family members trust me you get the scare of your life. My mom had come down from Delhi and after staying here for a couple of days she started feeling unwell and the flu-like symptoms persisted for 2 days. Third day i freaked out because the condition was not improving at all. Took her to the doctor. The doc examined and said there is nothing to worry about. But what was shocking was the backlog of 2 weeks for swine flu testing, no Tamiflu being released. So, the only option you are left with is homeopathy!!
T_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2009, 16:13   #201
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Girl View Post
So, the only option you are left with is homeopathy!!
Add to that line, at your own risk.

Yesterday my watchman told me that someone from his village in bihar has sent him homeopathic medicines for treatment of swine flu costing him 100 bucks. I made him throw away the whole lot.

If homeopathy did cure it for only 100 bucks, why would anyone take Tamiflu and why wouldn't the government and the CDC advocate that?

Initially, i was of the opinion that you can do what you want if it calms your nerves, but not to the extent that you get a false sense of security.

And guys, i don't want to get into a debate of homeopathy vs allopathy vs ayurveda. Homeopathy and ayurveda may increase immunity, but will not treat an active swine flu infection.

In my parents practice (they are physicians), they have seen from numerous homeopathy patients (and got their medicines tested) and most of them contain a form of steroid. Steroids decrease body immunity.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2009, 20:37   #202
BHPian

Here is an article i was reading. Maybe the docs can comment on the things mentioned on it
The cure for swine flu (and Sars, and birdflu, and HIV) Clouddragon
jassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2009, 21:02   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
Here is an article i was reading. Maybe the docs can comment on the things mentioned on it
Interesting article.
But I don't understand why Indian Media highlighting swine flu. Why are they not telling about the secondary complications of people who died. In Bangalore, I think most of the people who died were having previous history of respiratory problems. I think normal seasonal flu can also be dangerous to people with not good medical history.
greatDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2009, 11:01   #204
BHPian

Please read an article which discusses many concerns about H1N1 and the treatment prescribed :

Lies, half truths and media hype of swine flu - Yahoo! India News
emkay456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2009, 11:06   #205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
Rath is one of the biggest frauds alive today and is a 100% certified charlatan. You can check for yourself. Because of their influence on many people, many people do not take HIV medicines, and are permanently cured (ie they die and the virus also dies). Remember Mbeki and his AIDS denialism/alternative med hogwash. Also google for the estimates of people who have died in South Africa because of this.

These charlatans/AIDS denialists had some influence in the last decade, when HIV was in its early stage and killing a lot of people. Since 1996, when HAART which is basically 3-4 drugs as a combination treatment was introduced, death rates of people on treatment have plunged, they have become clinically almost normal, and their dramatically better health and their example has been the best answer to such charlatans. Asa result, there are lesser people believing in them, and more importantly for HIV survival rates, even less people following their advice.

Last edited by vasudeva : 25th August 2009 at 11:12.
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2009, 13:02   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay456 View Post
Please read an article which discusses many concerns about H1N1 and the treatment prescribed :

Lies, half truths and media hype of swine flu - Yahoo! India News
Very reasonable write up.
Heard Nano Silver for the first time.
Is it same like the extracts of metals in Ayurveda ( like Swarna Bhasm, Chandi Bhasm, Log Bhasm etc)?
greatDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2009, 14:02   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatDrive View Post
Heard Nano Silver for the first time.
Is it same like the extracts of metals in Ayurveda ( like Swarna Bhasm, Chandi Bhasm, Log Bhasm etc)?
Nano Silver, is silver ions (Ag+), while a bhasm has to be an oxide.

BTW, don't tell me you never saw the Samsung Nano-Silver washing machine ad. It seems to have disinfectant effect on the clothes and they remain fresh for longer.
Su-47 is offline   Reply With Quote