Swine Flu symptoms in children:
- Fast breathing or trouble breathing
- Bluish skin color
- Not drinking enough fluids
- Not waking up or not interacting
- Being so irritable that the child does not want to be held
- Flu-like symptoms improve but then return with fever and worse cough
- Fever with a rash

Please note that I am not an expert on this topic, I have just copy-pasted this material from a forwarded mail.

Rohan,
Bangalore
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2009, 11:42   #122
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay456 View Post
Sad to see political parties trying to make hay in the mess already created in Maharashtra. Those asking for closing down schools should have better sense. What is the time frame they are looking at !! If the cases dont come down , do they plan a indefinite closure ??
Schools should plan out efficient surveillance like the Panchgani school reported by Mumbai Mirror today.
There are reports that a political party visited a prominent South Mumbai school today and forced it to close down. I met a teacher from this school and asked her, would they do this to their "Dahi-Handi" and "Ganpati Mandals"?

Of course not. Doing that will cost them votes. This costs them nothing and gets them some publicity.
navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2009, 11:43   #123
BHPian

Default Received this in my mail

Please note that I have not confirmed the authenticity though the mail said it was from a trusted source.

Dr. Deepak Purohit wrote to President about Swine Flu
--------------------------------------------------------------
Honorable President of India Republic,

I agree with you that swine flu awareness is needed, but there is no need to be panicky and join the publicity propaganda carried out by media and others which acts as a vehicle to spread misconception than to spread scientific information.

These are few facts about swine flu when discussed with the leading epidemiologists.

1) Swine flu, that is H1N1 flu is not new, first detected in 1987
2) Infective stage of flue is 5 days, 1 day before and 4 days after onset of symptoms
3) The best way to prevent it spreading is asking patient having symptoms of flu like fever cough and running nose to take rest at home for 4 days so he does not transmit it
4) Masks are of limited value if any, in this disease, it can spread through droplets on your skin, through contact etc, and I have seen that the masks in Pune are worn as fashion statement, while walking on road today morning I saw people wearing masks coming out for a morning walk with their dogs!, many wearing masks around their necks, and so on, infect these masks shall act as the vehicles to carry the virus, instead, avoiding crowded places or cinema halls or malls where air conditioners are on, is advisable, because you get recalculated air, where the virus density multiplies
5)Death after H1N1 flu is not common, infect infections like measles is taking toll of thousands more every year, and we are oblivious of the facts. Swine flu is being blown out of proportion by media trying to create hysteria among lay people.
6) Fever accompanied by respiratory distress, should be immediately notified which is likely to be a complication of H1N1 flu
7)The mortality is less than .01 percent of those affected, that means may be one in 10,000 affected is likely to suffer the life loss.
8) If you remember, 2 years ago SARS was blown out of proportion, what happened? Humans develop immunity to the virus, the same is going to happen, we develop immunity in due course of time, the virus is in the air, you cannot stop it, our body is already developing the immunity so nothing to panic.
We need to take care of children and elderly who have less immunity and do not let them go to crowded places that are all.

WE MUST START THIS CAMPAIGN OF NOT TO BE AFRAID OF THIS FLU AND LET YOUR DAILY WORK CONTINUE AS NORMAL, NO MASKS FOR ORDINARY CITIZENS, HEALTH CARE WORKERS ORSPECIFIC EXPOSED TO LOT OF CROWDED ENVIRONMENTS MAY BE BENEFITTED, NOT PROVEN.

I am amazed to hear that people are selling masks of RS 20 each which are available to less than Rupee 1 in the market.
See who is getting benefitted?

Please spread the scientific info, do not join the band wagon and stick to science, that should be the order of the day.

Deepak Purohit
Cell no. 098209 77773

Last edited by Aditya : 12th August 2009 at 12:47.
travelwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2009, 11:49   #124
BHPian

Most of the schools in South Bangalore has been closed for this week as a precautionary measure. Not sure about other areas.
appuchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2009, 12:10   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Swine Flu Is Not Airborne

To put an end to controversy, Swine Flu does not spread by the airborne route directly, unless ofcourse an infected person sneezes in your mouth and saliva is transmitted to you.

When an infected person sneezes, droplets fall on everything around him. Now if you touch that object and then touch your eyes, mouth or nose, that's when it spreads to you.
So wash your hands. Remember clean hands save lives!

Stop this manic rush for face masks.

You can drink all sorts of concoctions. It may or may not increase your immunity, if it calms your nerves, then it's worth it.

If you want to visit websites for info, there is only one site i will recommend:
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2009, 12:10   #126
Senior - BHPian

Can doctors aboard confirm if the below is valid ? Received it in a mail today :

Swine Flu Information - Important Information in post#102 on Page 7-snap.jpg

The atmosphere here in office is surely panicky. People give me weird looks and steer clear of me , since I got a sore throat and have been coughing.
sajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2009, 12:10   #127
Senior - BHPian

In my son's school in Delhi-DPS, mathura road, a more sensible solution has been arrived at. Have told all students with cough or cold to stay at home for a week (till next Monday).

Perhaps selective targeting is better at this stage. Closing down the entire school at this stage may not make much sense, considering that the pandemic has not run its course. Delhi schools have also suffered because of early closure in May because of heat (they had to close 1-2 weeks earlier). In Aug 2009, Lancet published an article that reviews costs and benefits of school closure. It is here:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Closure of Schools Augs2009.pdf (185.0 KB, 701 views)
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2009, 12:12   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastActionHero View Post
Is this true? I received an SMS today morning with the same info. Seems to be a classic case of rumour mongering and "chain-letter syndrome". Can some doc validate this claim?
Even though if it is a case of chain-letter syndrome, these desi remedies are good enough to increase your boby immunity, not to kill infectious organisms.
If we can try somany preventive messures like washing hands N number of times, keeping masks, avoiding crowded places, I don't think there is anything wrong in trying such home remedies (my opinion).
ImranShahnawaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2009, 12:16   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
You can drink all sorts of concoctions. It may or may not increase your immunity, if it calms your nerves, then it's worth it.
Know this to be 100% true. Such concoctions may have a long-term effect which can also be realised by proper and balanced nutrition. However, they are highly unlikely to help you prevent getting swine flu or any other viral diseases such as HIV. There are people who advise replacing HIV drugs with all sorts of herbal concoctions. That inevitably happens in the patients' death.
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2009, 12:21   #130
BHPian

Quote:
No. See what more to check below:
If the child has those problems, it will cry a lot more. It will cough (at any age). Check the back of the throat with a torch and see the color of the throat. Normal flu, it may become reddish and will gradually decrease day by day. In swine flu it will increase to fiery red.
Thanks Tejas, that's reassuring.
Guite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2009, 12:25   #131
Senior - BHPian

i was watching HT i must say now im very much sure that this is the crappiest News channel on earth.
the nubs were doing a sting operation on overpriced masks.
i don't know how these people can make money over peoples fear. Im sure all these people involved in such activities will rot in hell
very informative thread Btw.
i had a severe flu with all the symptoms mentioned in the various posts almost a month ago. But it went away w/o medications (i don't like taking medicines) cant confirm if swine flu or not but had got it from my brother and he also is very much fine now.
vinaydas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2009, 12:38   #132
Senior - BHPian

Tejas, Great info there!

Otherday in some news channel they were saying that many times this flu goes unnoticed and gets cured after its course(5days) i mean without being treated(with TamiFlu) is this true?

Quote:
To put an end to controversy, Swine Flu does not spread by the airborne route directly, unless ofcourse an infected person sneezes in your mouth and saliva is transmitted to you.

When an infected person sneezes, droplets fall on everything around him. Now if you touch that object and then touch your eyes, mouth or nose, that's when it spreads to you.
So wash your hands. Remember clean hands save lives!

Stop this manic rush for face masks.

If you want to visit websites for info, there is only one site i will recommend:
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2009, 12:42   #133
BHPian

Finally Mah. Govt. bows to the political party's diktat, all schools in Mumbai closed for 7 days and theaters for 3 days ( standard prescription according to them to stop H1N1 )

Hope this is not applicable to Navi Mumbai else for my daughter's sake who is studying in a day boarding school, one of us would have to sit at home baby-sitting waiting for the miraculous 8th day when H1N1 would have left Mumbai city !!
emkay456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2009, 12:51   #134
BHPian

Read an amusing news (Pets getting H1N1 ?? ): Pets under house arrest
emkay456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2009, 13:31   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Nope. Compromised immunity is seen in people suffering from active diseases not asthmatics.
Quote:
There is nothing like fully safe. They stand as much a risk to getting affected as the next normal person.

Just because eg. 7 males died and 3 females, doesn't mean that males are more at risk than females. It's just that in that case, the person was also asthmatic. Coincidence.
Tejas off all the deaths reported in papers all of them had one or the other ailment like Pneumonia or Excessive breathing problem or something else.

So how True is it to claim that the death was purely due to Swine Flu?
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote