Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 6th May 2009, 17:26   #1
BHPian

Default Swine Flu Information - Important Information in post#102 on Page 7

Dear all,

Being a doctor i thought to share some information on much hyped Swine flu. Please ask if you have any queries.

What is swine flu?

The 2009 swine flu is a type of flu caused by new swine flu virus (H1N1 influenza A virus). It may also infect other animals, including pigs. It’s happening among people who haven't had any contact with pigs. It started in Mexico & has spread in USA, Canada, Europe, New Zealand & Korea.

Swine Flu has not affected India. DO NOT PANIC.

What are swine flu symptoms?

Symptoms of swine flu are like regular flu symptoms and include fever, cough, sore throat, bodyaches, headache, chills, and fatigue. Some people have reported diarrhea and vomiting associated with swine flu.

Those symptoms can also be caused by many other conditions, therefore only lab test can tell whether it's swine flu or some other condition.

How does swine flu spread?

The new swine flu virus apparently spreads just like regular flu. It is transmitted from human-to-human by infected particles in the air & is not transmitted by pigs.

You could pick up germs directly from an infected person, or by touching an object they recently touched, and then touching your eyes, mouth, or nose, delivering their germs for your own infection. Flu germs can start spreading up to a day before symptoms start, and for up to seven days after getting sick.

How is swine flu treated?

Many patients have recovered without treatment.
Two antiviral drugs oseltamivir and zanamivir are highly effective against swine flu. (More effective when taken within 48 hours of the start of flu symptoms.)

Is there a swine flu vaccine for people?

No (It has been under development)

How can I prevent swine flu infection?

Do’s
Cover your mouth & nose with a cloth while coughing or sneezing.
Wash your hands regularly with soap and water, especially after coughing or sneezing.
Avoid crowded places.
Avoid close contact with sick people.
Avoid touching your mouth, nose, or eyes.
Sleep well, stay active, drink plenty of water & eat healthy food
Can eat pork or other foods that came from pigs

Don’ts
Shake hands or hug socially
Take medicines without consulting the physician
Spit in public places.

Got flu symptoms?

Stay home; limit your contact with people.

When you cough or sneeze, cover your mouth and nose with a tissue. Afterward, throw the tissue in the trash and wash your hands.

Should I cancel my trip to Mexico & other effected countries?

Defer non-essential travel to the affected countries. The list of affected countries are constantly updated on www.who.int

Whom to contact? When should I see my doctor?

People who have travelled from the affected countries in the past 10 ays & show symptom of swine flu should immediately contact the doctor or,

Contact Outbreak Monitoring Cell, National Institute of Communicable Diseases or Call 011-23921401

Last edited by loving_alaap : 6th May 2009 at 17:35. Reason: Removed Font & Size tags
loving_alaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 17:29   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice thread,

Here is an FAQ released by WHO for Swine flu.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf swine_flu_faq.pdf (55.8 KB, 319 views)
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 18:06   #3

Default should i change my travel plans ?

I might be traveling to north carolina (USA) in another 10 days . should i worry about this ?
machhan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 18:52   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by machhan81 View Post
I might be traveling to north carolina (USA) in another 10 days . should i worry about this ?
my dad is supposed to be traveling to south carolina in a week, but he canceled his tickets due to the swine flu.

as mentioned, if it's not essential, it's best to avoid.

cheers
anekho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 18:59   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

There is no need to avoid travel.

This is what WHO has to say about it :

WHO | No rationale for travel restrictions

In any case have this number handy : 1-800-CDC-INFO

CDC would coordinate with local 911 if you need help.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2009, 11:18   #6
BHPian

Yes, all the non-essential travel to the affected countries should be avoided.
Old 7th May 2009, 13:43   #7
BHPian

I am fearing that an outbreak is on the verge in India. I happened to come from Singapore to Bangalore last week. In Singapore they have temparature scanners which clearly detect people with fever. In Bangalore there were 5 doctors asking everyone verbally if they had fever/cold/cough. There was a huge queue as a result of this. I wonder who would confess they have a fever. Although the doctors are working day and night, it is definitely a pointless approach of asking individuals whether they have fever. Small airports like Phuket have temperature scanners, there is no excuse for Bangalore not to have them.
kvish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2009, 14:17   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish View Post
I am fearing that an outbreak is on the verge in India.
No. Highly unlikely rather. There may be a few cases but not a pandemic or outbreak. Due to high summer temperatures, the virus will not survive in the open for more than a few minutes.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2009, 17:17   #9

Thanks guys ...

i think i will hold my traveling plans for another week and see whats happeing.
machhan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2009, 18:30   #10
Senior - BHPian

Got this via eMail:
CDC H1N1 Flu

Last edited by prince_pervez : 7th May 2009 at 18:31.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2009, 20:55   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have been in Austin, TX for more than a week now. I reached here when Swine flu broke out and I was worried initially but I am doing great and I haven't heard about or come across a single person at work who got swine flu either. I would go if I was in your place.

Just be careful. Wash hands frequently, especially before you eat anything.
hondadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2009, 15:31   #12
BHPian

Default 1st swine flu case in India! in Hyderabad.

NEW DELHI: The first case of swine flu in India was confirmed on Saturday. A man traveling from New York via Dubai and Delhi tested positive for
the H1N1 influenza virus in Hyderabad.

He has been administered tamiflu, the only anti-viral known to be effective against H1N1.

Union health ministry officials said they were treating it as a "national emergency.

"He was shifted to the identified isolation facility under strict infection control. His samples have tested positive for influenza A (H1N1)," a health ministry statement issued here said.

"The office of the concerned airlines has been contacted to provide the list of passengers who travelled with him in close proximity. Information of such passengers would be provided to the WHO (World Health Organisation) and respective countries through the external affairs ministry," it said.

All passengers who travelled with the man on the flight are being tracked down. The man had reached Hyderabad from Dubai via Delhi on an Emirates flight on May 13.

The passengers are being advised to remain under home quarantine for a period of seven days and monitor themselves for symptoms like fever, cough and difficulty in breathing.

They are also being asked to provide their contact details to Indian authori

Source: TOI

Mods: please edit the heading of the title!!!

Last edited by loving_alaap : 16th May 2009 at 15:35.
Old 16th May 2009, 15:53   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

People travelling abroad from India have been attempting to procure Tamiflu (oseltamivir) to take prophylactically in they come down with flu-like symptoms. Such random use of the drug is likely to produce drug-resistant strains of the virus; the Indian government has therefore clamped down on all stocks of Tamiflu in the country, and the drug is only available free to laboratory-confirmed cases of Influenza A H1N1, from government-run healthcare facilities. Great step taken!

A 100 years ago, they said that the US would have a black president only if pigs flew. Now, after 100 days of a black president, we have pigs-flu!
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2009, 19:34   #14
Senior - BHPian

news broke out that first confirmed swine flu case in India is in Hyderabad.
kutlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2009, 21:46   #15
Senior - BHPian

Probably a dumb question.

Why should I worry, if the symptoms are identical to those of the normal flu?
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote