Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 18th July 2016, 21:45   #196

Default Re: All T-BHP Bolero Owners with Pics of their SUV

I hope am not too late to the Bolero party. I, along with my father's help, finally managed the dough to buy a beauty of a Bolero. Special thanks to my cousin bro for doing most of the legwork to weed out the lemons that were on sale on most pre-owned car websites.

What started as a dinner-table conversation 4-5 months ago, turned into the proverbial "SUV itch" as days went by. We had our personal preferences, but the final "must haves" came down to:
1. A pre-owned, mechanically good, 6+ seater.
2. Price less than 5 lakhs.
3. Go anywhere vehicle (both for city, inter-city and probably hill rides) - not a hardcore off-roader - at least, not immediately.
4. Should be reliable & economical to run and maintain.
5. Leh-Ladakh is on the cards - so it would be nice to do so on our own vehicle.

We looked at quite a few options, but our requirements were all met by the one true SUV - the legendary Bolero. However, a Bolero is a difficult breed to track down. More so, when it comes to a mechanically sound one - and that too in Kolkata! Weeks went by and we almost dropped the idea when, like a sign from the Gods themselves, we saw an ad for a 2013 Bolero SLX on the same used car dealer's website (http://www.vaishnomotors.com/) from whom I had bought my pre-owned Hinda City earlier in 2013. I called up Ajay ji (owner of Vaishno Motors) and it was surprising that he still remembered me. He said the car was available and we could go and check it out.

On a fine Saturday morning, the three of us reached his store as soon as it had opened. It was drizzling outside when we went out to check the vehicle. The car seemed to be in a good condition - 34k km on the odo, interiors were ok and everything worked, no unwanted cabin noise, engine sound was good. It all looked fine. And the total price was coming to 5.2 lakhs. However, something wasn't right - it's the kind of feeling I can't explain. The car was even CarTrade certified, but it still did not add up. My father mentioned that the engine looked that it had run more than 34k - I don't know how he said that, but it turned out to be true later. Now, we aren't experts on cars - so, we were mostly believing what Ajay ji was telling about the car. Anyway, we almost finalized the date of picking up the car and managed to arrange for a loan. On the D-Day, my cousin bro somehow managed to get the service history from Mohon Motors and their records said the car had run 80k. Now that was a bummer. I was really disheartened and when we told the same to Ajay ji, he expressed his deepest regrets. He understood why we wouldn't go ahead with the deal and promised us that he'd let us know if he came across a car that met our requirements. I wasn't happy with the fact that the odo was tapped and were almost mislead. However, the same guy had delivered extremely well on my existing car (the City) and I thought to give him another chance.

Weeks went by, and finally, we got news of a 2012 Bolero ZLX from Ajay ji - and he wanted to check this car out even before he put it up on the internet. Needless to say, we were elated.

We went to check it out and most things on our list checked out:

1. Bolero ZLX (2012), 4x2, m2DiCR - no one sells a 4x4 it seems
2. Rocky Beige color
3. Interiors were stock. We'd change the seat covers anyway.
4. Exterior was 95% scratch free. No bumps. No accident history (as far as we knew)
5. The rumbling Engine sound was healthy. No unwanted cabin noise. AC was powerful.
6. Gear change was smooth.
7. All electricals worked except the left middle passenger power window (fixable). The voice messages were also working fine.
8. Had a gear-lock.
9. Yokohama Geolander tyres with 60-70% tread left.
10. Spare seems to be hardly used.
11. 62,000 km on the odo (verified with Mohon Motors and it was correct this time).
12. Price: 4.25 lakh + Insurance + Ownership transfer.

Freebies:
1. New Gear cover (not sure if that's the term - its the pice of material that covers the base of the gear )
2. New Foot mats
3. Power windows fix
4. 1 year warranty (ofcourse, on specific parts)
5. 3 service labor charges
6. INR 6,000 discount

Not sure if this was a good/bad deal but we were happy with our boy - the mighty Zeus! Having driven Maruti Alto and Honda City, the Bolero was a different game altogether. It's a no-nonsense, no freebies, no extra feature car. It has massive road presence. And people just make way for the Bolero - just like they do for the Royal Enfields. I could easily draw parallels from my experience of riding a Bullet. The owners themselves will rant sometimes, but they can't live without it either. It's the idiosyncrasies of the Bolero that makes it what it is. We are extremely proud owners and hope to have a great relationship with the vehicle that will take us places.

Although Leh-Ladakh has been done to death, it's no less than a pilgrimage - and we hope Zeus will be able to take us through the terrain and more.

Question: Has anyone been to Ladakh with a Bolero 2WD? Most threads I see here at TBHP are 4x4s and some of them are purpose built for off-roading. I'd like to make minimal changes and take a stab at getting Leh'd at the earliest. Any thoughts ?

We are planning to make the following modifications but not sure and would like some help from the experts here:

a. Install Fog lights (A pair of Hella 1000 ?) - the bumper ones.
b. Extra lights (A pair of Hella Ralleye 3000 ?)
c. LED light panel on top (Is this a good idea - how is the light throw? or should we go for 4 of the rectangular Hellas ?)
d. Carrier with minimal design (what brand is best - lightweight but strong?)
e. Jerry can holder for fuel at the rear
f. New floor mats
g. Better horns (What brand? Cost?)
h. Snorkel (is it really worth it - or is it only for show?)
i. K&N Peformance air filter (K&N doesn't seem to have a Bolero specific product, but seen pics on the forum, have heard a lot about K&N on other vehicles - but as newbie as I am, I don't have any idea if this even makes a difference).

Enough talk - let me put up some pictures now.
Attached Thumbnails
All T-BHP Bolero Owners with Pics of their SUV-photo-160716-12-10-30-pm.jpg  

All T-BHP Bolero Owners with Pics of their SUV-photo-160716-12-10-37-pm.jpg  

All T-BHP Bolero Owners with Pics of their SUV-photo-160716-12-10-06-pm.jpg  

All T-BHP Bolero Owners with Pics of their SUV-photo-160716-12-13-14-pm.jpg  

All T-BHP Bolero Owners with Pics of their SUV-photo-160716-12-13-25-pm.jpg  

trishulpani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2016, 08:37   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishulpani View Post
I hope am not too late to the Bolero party. I, along with my father's help, finally managed the dough to buy a beauty of a Bolero.
Welcome to the Bolero Brotherhood.
I have a Roots horn which is 9 yrs old.
@josepeter has some experience with "Green Filter" in his Bolero.

-- Torqy
Torqy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2016, 16:55   #198
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishulpani View Post

Although Leh-Ladakh has been done to death, it's no less than a pilgrimage - and we hope Zeus will be able to take us through the terrain and more.

Question: Has anyone been to Ladakh with a Bolero 2WD? Most threads I see here at TBHP are 4x4s and some of them are purpose built for off-roading. I'd like to make minimal changes and take a stab at getting Leh'd at the earliest. Any thoughts ?
Ladakh will not be a problem at all in a 2WD Bolero. Just don't venture out of the regular routes however tempting it might be. In 2014, one of the 5 vehicles that went with us to Ladakh was a 2WD Bolero and it was the same colour as yours. It did not have any problem anywhere except at Nubra desert, where it got stuck trying to go over the sand dunes. So please do go to Ladakh and you will surely not have any problem if you don't get too adventurous .

Check out the right most vehicle in the picture from our 2014 trip!

All T-BHP Bolero Owners with Pics of their SUV-pangong.jpg
BlackPearl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2016, 21:27   #199

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Ladakh will not be a problem at all in a 2WD Bolero. Just don't venture out of the regular routes however tempting it might be. In 2014, one of the 5 vehicles that went with us to Ladakh was a 2WD Bolero and it was the same colour as yours. It did not have any problem anywhere except at Nubra desert, where it got stuck trying to go over the sand dunes. So please do go to Ladakh and you will surely not have any problem if you don't get too adventurous .

Check out the right most vehicle in the picture from our 2014 trip!
Great advice and simply awesome pic! Thanks!!
I hope it's not the EXACT same car though
trishulpani is offline   Reply With Quote