Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 27th August 2009, 17:12   #106
Senior - BHPian

dear man
dont you start this all over again

there is another thread on this site where this very topic has been done to death - whether the Bolero can be classified as an SUV or an MUV.

For info, take a look at the wikipedia definition - but remember in our context here in India the words SUV and MUV are generally used somewhat interchangeably by many people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitartha View Post
But guys, i am really confused on one point, I think that the Bolero is essentially a MUV people mover on the lines of qualis, sumo (which also comes in 4X4), tavera, innova, etc.

Without standard 4WD, Hi-Lo ratio gearbox, differential lock, all wheel independent suspension,the stuff, how can Bolero be called a SUV?
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 17:12   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitartha View Post
@sriku, you seem to be really paranoid about the security of your ride, gear lock, clutch lock, et al. Nyways this pic is my friends bolero which i often use to travel to nearby hilly locations, its a DI turbo 4 X 2 and feels quite torquey at low RPMs. Has all utiliterian comforts and even a "beige" interior to boot !!(very dirt prone, i must say)
But guys, i am really confused on one point, I think that the Bolero is essentially a MUV people mover on the lines of qualis, sumo (which also comes in 4X4), tavera, innova, etc.
Without standard 4WD, Hi-Lo ratio gearbox, differential lock, all wheel independent suspension,the stuff, how can Bolero be called a SUV?
Yes, I am paranoid. My car was almost stolen, read about it in my other Bolero:almost stolen post somewhere on the forum. I have to do what I have to do!

SUV/MUV/UV/V why rake up this again! This has been done to death multiple times on the forum, and I hope we let it stay dead. Nice pic of the hilly Bolero, very tempting roads, can I ask where the pic was taken? Might want to go there!

Looks like I'm echoing Shankar Sir, but what the hey, repetition may reinforce the message intent.
Cheers,

Last edited by sriku : 27th August 2009 at 17:14.
sriku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 17:18   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
Nice pics sriku ! Only you have to remove that 'india gate' in front and install a proper nudge bar.
Sirji, all things in life are impermanent, bull bars doubly so! I have a budget of 8k every 6 months to replace the bull bar, front bumper etc. When it comes to these bars, looks are secondary, their lifespan is directly impacted by where and how you drive. And I am sure mine won't last too long!

Cheers,
Old 27th August 2009, 17:47   #109
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriku View Post
Sirji, all things in life are impermanent, bull bars doubly so! I have a budget of 8k every 6 months to replace the bull bar, front bumper etc. When it comes to these bars, looks are secondary, their lifespan is directly impacted by where and how you drive. And I am sure mine won't last too long!

Cheers,
A new bullbar every 6 months !??! What do you do with the vehicle and where do you drive. You almost make this part look like a consumable !!
NIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 17:58   #110
BHPian

Jokes apart, I drive defensively, and do follow traffic rules, pushing the car only as much as the road and traffic allows. Sometimes though, the Bolero is a backup vehicle for bike rides, where terrain and the access routes are less than perfect. Damage to the bumper and the bullbar are just unavoidable. Of course, the bullbars are used generously to "defend" against the ubiquitous auto's on Mumbai's roads. This is where they offer a huge advantage, for which I'm more than happy to replace them whenever required.

Cheers,
Old 28th August 2009, 11:03   #111
BHPian

Quote:
SUV/MUV/UV/V why rake up this again! This has been done to death multiple times on the forum, and I hope we let it stay dead. Nice pic of the hilly Bolero, very tempting roads, can I ask where the pic was taken? Might want to go there!
woops! dat seems to be a really touchy topic for Bolero owners, nyways seems i somehow missed this thread.
This pic was taken on the road to Mawsynram (Meghalaya), the rainiest Place on Earth with an average rainfall of 467.4 inches per year (more than the height of most cars ). It took the crown of the rainiest place from Cherrapunji (what we read in school textbooks) a few years ago.
gitartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 11:46   #112
BHPian

Sriku, and just for saying that these are generously used to defend against the autos, I have become your biggest fan. Any time you come down under, remember that I owe you a beer. I hope EVERY car gets one of these and then we should see how turn happy and slippery those little buggers are.
Takumi-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 12:15   #113
BHPian

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takumi-san View Post
Sriku, and just for saying that these are generously used to defend against the autos, I have become your biggest fan. Any time you come down under, remember that I owe you a beer. I hope EVERY car gets one of these and then we should see how turn happy and slippery those little buggers are.
Another believer! I'm touched I'll take you up on that beer someday Takumi-San. I desist from reporting my various auto "encounters" on the forum simply because some of them are liable to encourage other members to try them. And that is a bad thing. (Don't do it). We should take care of autos and not maul them. (Don't listen to him). They have as much right to cut you off as anybody else. (Is he mad?). They paid road tax and insurance just like you.(This guy needs a beer).

Cheers,
Old 28th August 2009, 13:43   #114
BHPian

nice pics Sriku and gitartha.
Wow Meghalaya! Some drive it will be, what say Sriku?

And please for the last time guys its not about being a MUV/ SUV/ or whatever others may prefer to call it. Its a BOLERO take it or leave it and let the matter be given a final burial!
BolBolero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2009, 01:58   #115
BHPian

Default Sreek's Bolero

I am posting the pictures of my friend's (Srikanth's) Bolero. Srikanth is in the process of becoming a member in TBHP. Once he is registered, he would add more pics..

Few pics taken during our recent trip on Bolero...
Attached Thumbnails
All T-BHP Bolero Owners with Pics of their SUV-sreeks-bolero1.jpg  

All T-BHP Bolero Owners with Pics of their SUV-sreeks-bolero2.jpg  

All T-BHP Bolero Owners with Pics of their SUV-sreeks-bolero3.jpg  

All T-BHP Bolero Owners with Pics of their SUV-sreeks-bolero4.jpg  

All T-BHP Bolero Owners with Pics of their SUV-sreeks-bolero5.jpg  

All T-BHP Bolero Owners with Pics of their SUV-sreeks-bolero6.jpg  

All T-BHP Bolero Owners with Pics of their SUV-sreeks-bolero7.jpg  

gops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2009, 12:21   #116
BHPian

Thumbs up Nice!

Those additional headlights and foglamps are stunning. A question though, what are the cons of adding extra lights? The bolero looks stunning in Black though! I couldn't risk buying black, too scared to scratch the body! With my white SLX, no such worries

Cheers
Old 29th August 2009, 12:25   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Those additional headlights and foglamps are stunning. A question though, what are the cons of adding extra lights? The bolero looks stunning in Black though! I couldn't risk buying black, too scared to scratch the body! With my white SLX, no such worries

Cheers
Well you can get extra electricals but need to get a cut-out for that. Only pitfall would be that it will reduce the life of the battery I think.
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2009, 16:46   #118
BHPian

hi all, this is my Beauty a 2003 model, XD3p, 4x4 GLX model with 149000 kms on the Odo and still going strong, i mean really strong Name:  DSC02780 Medium.JPG
Views: 4370
Size:  104.6 KBName:  DSC02804 Medium.JPG
Views: 4269
Size:  94.5 KBName:  DSC02780 Medium.JPG
Views: 4370
Size:  104.6 KB

Name:  DSC02804 Medium.JPG
Views: 4269
Size:  94.5 KB

Name:  DSC02809 Medium.JPG
Views: 4062
Size:  62.6 KB

Name:  DSC02874 Medium.JPG
Views: 4025
Size:  86.8 KB

Name:  DSC02885 Medium.JPG
Views: 3993
Size:  90.5 KB

Name:  DSC02888 Medium.JPG
Views: 3976
Size:  106.0 KB

Name:  DSC02979 Medium.JPG
Views: 3963
Size:  80.6 KB

Name:  DSC03001 Medium.JPG
Views: 3945
Size:  57.6 KB
whitemm550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2009, 16:49   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitemm550 View Post
hi all, this is my Beauty a 2003 model, XD3p, 4x4 GLX model with 149000 kms on the Odo and still going strong, i mean really strong
Hey don't you have the aluminium footboard or is just removed for offroading?
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2009, 17:32   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Hey don't you have the aluminium footboard or is just removed for offroading?
I think he has removed them for offroading. It looks so much better without the footboard and bull bars! Fantastically maintained for 1.5 lakh kms. Congratulations Sir. Loved the muddy pictures. Fantastic.

Cheers,