Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: Who will win the 2009 T-20 World Cup ?
Australia 6 6.45%
Bangladesh 0 0%
England 1 1.08%
India 66 70.97%
Ireland 0 0%
New Zealand 5 5.38%
Netherlands 1 1.08%
Pakistan 0 0%
Scotland 0 0%
South Africa 12 12.90%
Sri Lanka 1 1.08%
West Indies 1 1.08%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15th June 2009, 11:32   #151
Senior - BHPian

What was very worrisome was the body language. This was exactly the opposite of what they were last year. No one seemed to enjoy what he was doing.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2009, 12:41   #152
BHPian

With "Obnoxious" amount of money from IPL, Endorsements and others showering on regular basis, Team India don't seem to be too worried about what's going on. Raina's smile said it all when Team India was struggling.

This team is literally trashed with money and fame way too much and too fat, undeservedly.
1-Testosterone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2009, 12:45   #153
Team-BHP Support

^^
It may be the fatigue after all.
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2009, 12:45   #154
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
What was very worrisome was the body language. This was exactly the opposite of what they were last year. No one seemed to enjoy what he was doing.
They showed Suresh Raina sitting in the dressing room balconey, smiling and chatting with a fellow cricketer when india's defeat was certain. Somehow i did not like that.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2009, 12:53   #155
Senior - BHPian

Blunders according to me,
1. RP Singh(3-0-13-1) not getting his full quota of his overs while Ishant(4-0-36-0) got 4 overs and got clobbered.
2. Sending Jadeja ahead of Yuvraj. Dhoni wanted to save Yuvi's wicket, but for what?
3. Dropping Pragyan Ojha instead of Ishant.
4. Dhoni's decisions, what was he on yesterday? Was trying some exotics that crippled his sense of judgment?
Anyway, hard luck India, and probably this will be a blessing in disguise to pull some of our players down to earth. And they'll become the same old maverick team that they were during the last T-20 WC and bring us the ODI world cup. Let's hope.
kaushik_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2009, 13:59   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Anyway, hard luck India, and probably this will be a blessing in disguise to pull some of our players down to earth.
Fat chance of that happening. Wait and watch - ICC Champions Trophy is round the corner.

Indian fans forget and forgive easily.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2009, 14:13   #157
BHPian

The Indian team (few members, not all) certainly did not play to their best ability, even though they knew it was a do-or-die match. But done is done. We are out, and now people can start coming to office with a good night's sleep. (I'm sorry, but I cannot stop thinking like a manager! )

One thing that I did not like was the report that the Indian supporters (again, should be a few, and obviously not all) were booing the English team during gameplay (Source: Economic Times)
Yes, I know we are an emotional bunch, but I dislike all forms of unsportsmanlike behavior such as this. I do not accept any justification for such behavior, and it just shows us, collectively in a bad light. (Thank God, no English fan retaliated else the media would have screamed 'Racism'!)
DriverR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2009, 14:43   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Fat chance of that happening. Wait and watch - ICC Champions Trophy is round the corner.

Indian fans forget and forgive easily.
Naah, I'm not talking about fans or media, both are almost hopeless. But for a good team, sometimes they just need a whip on the back and they definitely bounces back. This team is a good team and I hope they'll come back with a vengeance. But anyway, lets see what happens in the future.
kaushik_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2009, 15:28   #159
Senior - BHPian

In Football, EPL is the best club football, but England national team fares badly at International level!
In Cricket, with the advent of IPL, the same is happening to team India!
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2009, 15:31   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
In Football, EPL is the best club football, but England national team fares badly at International level!
In Cricket, with the advent of IPL, the same is happening to team India!
Yeah! One would say, with pockets full, few would care!
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2009, 17:20   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Yeah! One would say, with pockets full, few would care!
Well said Prince!!
Fed-up seeing Dhoni in so many ads now a days
hariharanea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2009, 17:54   #162
BHPian

can the poll be restarted with the knocked out teams removed .

anyway... my bet is on SA.
bharanidharang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2009, 18:33   #163
BHPian

The way our Team played against England, made me think that they lost it deliberately. Reason being long tiring tours and following IPL Tournament right after. They will be flying to W Indies right after this T20 World Cup, so if they are out of the tournament now, they will get rest for some days.
anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2009, 18:40   #164
BHPian

Dhoni's thinking is totally mindless now. May be too many ads featuring Dhoni these days.

T 20 is purely a batsman's game. Any target can be achieved, if you have right people at right order.

According to me, the only major reason why India fared poorly at this WC was due some basic wrong decisions made in the batting order.

Rohit Sharma as opener - An excellent player at death lower down the order. He has proved it time & again for Deccan Chargers in the IPL. Two or three games doesn't makes one an opener overnight. Aggressive he might be, but still a bit immature.
Also, once you lose a batsman like him early it is a big drawback for the team. On the other hand if he is still there lower down, confidence is there in the team.

Sent as Sehwag's replacement, Dinesh Karthik could have been used as an opener ( he was in good form for Delhi Daredevils) atleast a better hooker & player of short pitched stuff than Raina.

Or why not Ravinder jadeja as opener with instructions to go & hit or get out (he shouldn't have played in the first place). Infact playing at two down, Ravinder jadeja made things worse by blocking the deliveries & run-rate went through roof in moments.A lesser batsman still have chances of scoring in first six overs with fielding restrictions on, than later part of inning.
Jadeja = Blunder by selectors. T-20 selection should be like if you ain't hit six you are out. This was not Rajsthan Royals playing Mumbai Indians, this was do or die game in Word Cup.

Raina should not have played at all since he had hardly scored in all the previous games. Better if Irfan Pathan had stayed in & Raina gone out. Pathan can hit the ball out of ground & could have been used as Pinch hitter at one down.

Time and again our expert commentators have said that the best batsman should play upfront. It was unfortunate that best batsman came after 10 overs. And the first ball he faced, went for an effortless six.And all hopes were lost when he got stumped!

The team heavily relied upon Yuvraj, who bailed them out against bangladesh & WI.

Really, the scenario would have been different had Rohit sharma walked in after fall of Yuvraj's wicket. So, a good batsman was made bakra on the top.

So, it all started and ended with selection of wrong opening pair by Dhoni.

Dhoni employed tactics like as if it was a 50 over game. Five wickets in hand at the time of defeat.

What a shame for Dhoni's thinking and BCCI for not pulling him & media for creating an overhype on his abilities.

Last edited by breezydrive : 15th June 2009 at 18:59.
breezydrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2009, 20:02   #165
Senior - BHPian

^^ Agree with above. We lost due to Dhoni's bad decisions!

Dhoni is a overhyped cricketer!
I would pick Dinesh Karthik instead of him & make Veeru or Yuvraj as captain.

Last edited by finneyp : 15th June 2009 at 20:03.
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote